Thai drivers licence in Hua Hin

JulinTbg

Hey Guys.

I'm trying to find the office for where I can get a Thai drivers licence.

Anyone who know where this is? Do I have to pay for this? Is it only motorbike, or can I get a licence for car as well?

Sorry if this is a repost. Thanks for your help!

There is no driver's license office in Hua Hin. You either have to go to Pranburi or to Cha-Am. I use the Pranburi office and everything has always gone smoothly. You need to take a Thai speaker/translator with you if you don't speak Thai. If this is your first license here and depending on what you have from your home country you may have to taken a written and/or practical exam as well as some eye, depth perception, and reflex tests. It does cost but I don't remember how much.

In Pranburi you go to the light where you see the police station on your right side and make a U turn. Get into the left lane fast as the license office is about a kilometer down a small soi just past the police station. You need a few documents including a photo and a Dr. report which you can get for a few hundred from almost any clinic.

Others who have done this lately will have to give you the complete list of what you need as my last renewal was nearly 5 years ago.

Edited by hhfarang

• 3 months later...

Just got my DL this afternoon in Cha Am

Basic requirements were pretty standard; cert of residence, DR's report, Baht, and for me, as I had an intl driver permit (IP) there was no testing. I hold a "O" visa. There was no testing at all with the intl permit. My problems were that I wanted to get both an auto and cycle lisc(s). I had a copy of my US DL which clearly said I was authorized both there and I had the IP which had two sep entries saying I had both cycle and auto. The senior lady clerk would only issue the auto lisc. She said many Hua Hinn people, my address in Cha Am, had been bringing in bogus(my word) intl permits to get two category licenses. In spite of my showing the authorizations on the IP, it seems like she was proud of "catching" previous perpetrators. She only told me this after I caught the lower-than-expected charge; she wasn't even going to tell me.

The only real lesson is take 2 or 3 or xxx more licenses if available. I can prob get by w/o the cycle permit but if not then an applicant is back to Imm office to pay fee and start over with DR and list fees.

Anyway, all is well, I hope.