Parking on the wrong side of the street

bunnydrops

My very first day of ever visiting Buriram Province, while driving a relatives pick up truck in Buriram proper, I drove from the Thepnakorn Hotel down to Sunthorn Thep Road. I was lazy, assumed it was "everything goes" and "no real laws or regulations apply in Isaan". I parked on the "wrong side of Sunthorn Thep Road near a bank. For just for a short period of time I parked in downtown Buriram. Well that nice note placed on the windshield of the borrowed pick up truck, by a traffic enforcement officer who walking about, indicated how much and where to pay. 400 baht later at the Buriram Police Station on Jira road I learned a valuable and important lesson back in January 2005. Parking tickets do exist in Thailand and they cost more than the minimum wage of an average Thai working person. No need to comment on the lack of enforcement of traffic laws, but I am 400 baht lighter due to my arrogance in 2005.

• Like 2

What he is probably referring to is the clearway / parking restrictions which are dictated by whether the day is odd or even.

In tourist areas the signs may also have English, but not much luck of that if you're in the countryside (even in Khon Kaen I think you'd be lucky to get an English sign)

E.g.

nps-20140712191511.jpg

No parking on odd days

e3d9dcef62f038664a5c0a6684a6f43622cfb0.j

No parking on even days

But basically when you see a clearway sign with Thai writing, the writing often means odd days or even days as per below (incase the signs were't clear).

วันคู่ = even days

วันคี่ = odd days

These look pretty similar, so if you can't read Thai maybe try to remember that คี่ (Khee - same pronunciation as s***) with the symbol above is odd and คู่ (Khuu) with the symbol below, is even (it actually also means pair and is the classifier for pairs, so is used frequently in Thai).

• Like 1

I park on wrong side with no problems at all and sometimes car stay for days. Korat province.

Mr Sabanovic, are you referring to the car shown on your avatar?

Not surprized, I wouldn't go near that thing for anything.

Police probably think it's a street vendors outlet selling noodles.

• Like 2

My very first day of ever visiting Buriram Province, while driving a relatives pick up truck in Buriram proper, I drove from the Thepnakorn Hotel down to Sunthorn Thep Road. I was lazy, assumed it was "everything goes" and "no real laws or regulations apply in Isaan". I parked on the "wrong side of Sunthorn Thep Road near a bank. For just for a short period of time I parked in downtown Buriram. Well that nice note placed on the windshield of the borrowed pick up truck, by a traffic enforcement officer who walking about, indicated how much and where to pay. 400 baht later at the Buriram Police Station on Jira road I learned a valuable and important lesson back in January 2005. Parking tickets do exist in Thailand and they cost more than the minimum wage of an average Thai working person. No need to comment on the lack of enforcement of traffic laws, but I am 400 baht lighter due to my arrogance in 2005.

Don't worry Bob, another few years and you can save it up again.

• Like 1

What he is probably referring to is the clearway / parking restrictions which are dictated by whether the day is odd or even.

In tourist areas the signs may also have English, but not much luck of that if you're in the countryside (even in Khon Kaen I think you'd be lucky to get an English sign)

E.g.

nps-20140712191511.jpg

No parking on odd days

No parking on even days

But basically when you see a clearway sign with Thai writing, the writing often means odd days or even days as per below (incase the signs were't clear).

วันคู่ = even days

วันคี่ = odd days

These look pretty similar, so if you can't read Thai maybe try to remember that คี่ (Khee - same pronunciation as s***) with the symbol above is odd and คู่ (Khuu) with the symbol below, is even (it actually also means pair and is the classifier for pairs, so is used frequently in Thai).

Thanks for that! Learned something useful.

Funny the wine shop has English writing as well as Thai, but the street sign just has the noodle writing.

E.g.

nps-20140712191511.jpg

No parking on odd days

No parking on even days

วันคู่ = even days

วันคี่ = odd days

Funny the wine shop has English writing as well as Thai, but the street sign just has the noodle writing.

Got me beat.

What's an even day? What"s an odd day?

Sunday is even or odd?

Don't worry Bob, another few years and you can save it up again.

I paid ฿200.- this Springtime when I did that in Buriram. I lost an hour going to the police station where my money was taken off me very efficiently and courteously. The Chinese guy in front of me me just threw his ticket to the ground, maybe I should have done that too.

E.g.

nps-20140712191511.jpg

No parking on odd days

No parking on even days

วันคู่ = even days

วันคี่ = odd days

Got me beat.

Sunday is even or odd?

I think your having an odd day at the moment.... facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Hey bunnydrops, you mentioned parking alongside a curb painted with Red and White strips. Would seem that certain "shop keepers" may have it within their power (or purses) to cause these "restrictions" to be lifted/ obliterated even.

I highlight a certain 24-hour shop, almost on the corner of Hangdong Road and the entrance to Koolpunt Ville 5, where the Red & White strips have been OBLITERATED. Makes it VERY hard for people coming out of the village and trying to get into the traffic flow during peak periods.

Got me beat.

Sunday is even or odd?

Days of the month, not days of the week

E.g.

Odd = 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11.....

Even = 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12....

You are right, I thought everybody knew that. I guess some farangs are dummer than 2 bags of nails.

Went into town yesterday evening. Many parked on the side streets on the correct side of the street. But on the main street there were many still parked on the wrong side. It was just after 5 and everyone knows the police go home after 5. On leaving town I had to make my way around someone that parked in the left lane at the intersection to make a "quick run" into the 7/11. This is right in front of the police station. Like someone posted above "Its a crap shoot".

Around the Sisaket area I noticed the police are out and about in numbers not just nearing lottery days lately. They had teams including tow trucks clearing cars parked on the wrong side of the road most days.

There was an Army team clearing stalls from the footpath near the night food market the other day too. A call to the deputy local administrator confirmed they've started a program to clear foot paths of vendors.

• Like 1

The law says that you cannot park facing the wrong direction, i.e. must be with the traffic flow. Perhaps that is what the OP means?

Odd days you park one side of the street

Even days you park on the other side of the street

The law doesn't give a FF which direction you are pointing.

It's so they can sweep the street.

Common all over Thailand, but the signs are in Thai.

The law says that you cannot park facing the wrong direction, i.e. must be with the traffic flow. Perhaps that is what the OP means?

Whatever side you park, I believe it should be in the same direction as the traffic for that side.

In Mukdahan province they park where they like, drive how they like and more or less disobey every common sense law or convention of the road. Very few fines except for helmets, registration and seat belts. The Thais strongly dislike the corrupt police who pocket most of the money.

• Like 1

Technically you should park in the direction of traffic flow, it is a law in Thailand (and examples of it even appear in the multi choice theory test). But I'm not sure if it's enforced or not.

The purpose of the law isn't about cleaning the street, but rather safety when you enter/exit the carpark.

• Like 1

I've lived here for over 16 years and even though I used to drive from my home in Nakhon Sawan Province to Samui once or twice a month, 2000 kilometers round trip, the only actual ticket, 200 baht, that I ever got was for parking on the wrong side of the street in a small town, Nong Chong. I was stopped many times for speeding or driving in the fast lane. but always paid 100 baht tea money. The law says that you must park on the side in the direction of traffic. I don't know if it applies where there are odd and even days.

• Like 2