Chula student sells sandwich to help cover his sick mother's medical bills

webfact

Chula student sells sandwich to help cover his sick mother's medical bills

9-1-2014-7-25-00-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chula student sells sandwich to help cover his sick mother’s medical billsChula student sells sandwich to help cover his sick mother’s medical bills

Mr Inthat Satayanurak, a communication arts sophomore at Chulalongkorn University, has recently turned a celebrity in the social media for his sacrifice to his sick mother – a quality which is quite rare among youths these days.

Even before netizens knew about his sacrifice, the young student has been well-known among his peers and lecturers alike in the university for being a grateful son of his mother.

Almost every day for the past two years, Inthat has been seen pushing cart to sell sandwich and fruit salad on the campus during lunch break in order to raise fund to cover the expensive medical bills of his mother who is suffering from breast cancer in Lampang.

The medical fee amounts to over 100,000 baht a month. But Inthat’s income from selling sandwich and fruit salad ranges from 500-800 baht a day which is scarcely enough to cover the medical bill but that has not discouraged the young man from doing whatever he can to earn the money needed.

Most of his peers and lecturers have been fully aware of Inthat’s mother’s sickness and have been his loyal customers. His sandwich and fruit sald were sold out every day.

Having realized the student’s financial burden, the university has granted Inthat a scholarship worth 4,000 baht a month to cover his tuition fee.

Also, the medical science faculty has helped out by giving him recommendations on treatment of his mother and procuring the needed medicines at below-market prices.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chula-student-sells-sandwich-help-cover-sick-mothers-medical-bills/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-02

• Like 2

My Aunt (one of many) also has breast cancer and is being treated free of charge under the government health scheme at Suan Dok Hospital in CM.

So why isn't his mom being treated free?

Just wondering.

I agree, in a case like this chronic/terminal SHOULD receive free treatment, what on earth --this is disgusting when a young guy has to do this. What a shame and with the 30 baht scheme you get what ??.....................For god sake treat the woman, and let the boy have the pocket money for himself.

Good on him, but is this really news?

100K a month medical costs seems high to me (unless she checked into Bumrungrad). What about the infamous 30 baht plan? Breast cancer not covered?

Every bar girl you talk to will tell you she is working to support sick parents, sick siblings, sick babies, even sick water buffalo.

• Like 2

My Aunt (one of many) also has breast cancer and is being treated free of charge under the government health scheme at Suan Dok Hospital in CM.

Just wondering.

I believe chemo is not covered and not free

100K a month medical costs seems high to me (unless she checked into Bumrungrad). What about the infamous 30 baht plan? Breast cancer not covered?

Every bar girl you talk to will tell you she is working to support sick parents, sick siblings, sick babies, even sick water buffalo.

As I posted, my Aunt is fully covered by the free government scheme, she is a poor farmer from Nan, referred to Suan Dok in CM.

All she has to pay for is the transport to CM once a month.

(SD already did the double mastectomy, now it's just the aftercare).

Just wondering if the news story is genuine, seems strange.

Lampang would also refer patients to Suan Dok in CM.

Sick water buffalo... that's funny cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just wondering.

This is my question also.

Anyway much better to read about this uni guy's sandwich business than last days articles about uni student's death.

• Like 1

Just wondering.

Because if you are treated for free, you will generally die well before your time. Effective cancer treatment in Thailand costs buckets. The free system will do what they can. Mastectomies are very common here, when they don't need to be. I have had 2 close family members die of cancer this year, because they wanted to save their money as a legacy for their kids. If you can afford top tier health insurance, get it.

• Like 1

The free govt care does not extent to treatment with the "gold standard" drugs used in the west ( and for many of them, it's "user pays" in western countries as well). One of those drugs could easily amount to 100,000 per month, if not more.

Sick Water Buffalo...............Never heard that one before.tongue.png rolleyes.gif

One once told me her grandmother died AGAIN.

• Like 2

Just wondering.

Because if you are treated for free, you will generally die well before your time. Effective cancer treatment in Thailand costs buckets. The free system will do what they can. Mastectomies are very common here, when they don't need to be. I have had 2 close family members die of cancer this year, because they wanted to save their money as a legacy for their kids. If you can afford top tier health insurance, get it.

Sorry about your loss.

I lost my beautiful Thai wife to cancer 2 and a half years ago at the age of 30. She was treated in Australia.

My question is how better would the treatment in Thailand be if one had 'top tier health insurance' given that treatments (in combination or individually) consist of surgery, chemo and radiation therapy? (or an experimental or trial treatment)

Edited by shanahan

News for the local student rag but does anyone really care? Youngsters all over the country are working to help their sick parents.

Selling sandwich isn't even out of the ordinary.

Maybe the Chula students have a reputation for being spoilt, nasty little rich kids who flaunt their family connections wherever possible, and that makes this particular student an interesting change...

The free govt care does not extent to treatment with the "gold standard" drugs used in the west ( and for many of them, it's "user pays" in western countries as well). One of those drugs could easily amount to 100,000 per month, if not more.

My father in law went down with Alzheimer's and recieved the exact same pills as the west. 18k per month but free because he was a civil servant.

I can't imagine what medication costs 100k

Not an uncommon thing family helping family. Two houses down in the village a couple are looking after their daughters sick kid. She works for a company in Chonburi and doesn't earn enough. My wife and I look after her mum and dad with a little money each month...with a little help from my wife's younger brother.

Mum and dad's combined pension is 1200 baht a month. Dad's sick and his medical needs would soon stripe them of their meager savings.

So guys save the sick buffalo stories for the bars of Pattaya!

• Like 1