Lite Beer

RICE-PLEDGING SCANDAL
NACC stands by case against Yingluck, asks if all files read
Natthapat Phromkaew,
Kris Bhromsuthi,
Kesinee Taengkhiao,
Nathaphat Promkaew
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Panthep undeterred by attorney-general's request for more evidence; says law changes match world standards

Panthep Klanarongran, chairman of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), reiterated yesterday that former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra had been derelict in her duty, which led to huge losses in the rice-pledging scheme.

However, he said he was willing to work with the Office of the Attorney-General, which on Thursday asked the NACC for more evidence on charges it seeks to lay against Yingluck and asked that a joint panel be set up to make a stronger case against the former premier.

Panthep also said that he did not feel like he was losing face by the move and denied that the NACC had pushed the case through. He said that perhaps the Office of the Attorney-General should have looked through the entire pile of documents prepared by the NACC before deciding that the case against Yingluck was weak.

He went on to say that he will wait to see who is appointed by the attorney general for the joint panel so the NACC can appoint appropriate people for the committee.

He said the NACC would meet to discuss the matter on Tuesday. Panthep also said that if the joint committee cannot agree on the case then the matter will be sent back to NACC so they can indict Yingluck themselves.

Panthep also dismissed a claim in a report by the Political and Economic Risk Consultancy (PERC) - a Hong Kong-based consultant group - that the anti-graft agency plans to amend laws in order to target certain political factions.

The NACC chief said the legal amendments were done according to international standard - the charter of the United Nations, for example, for laws relating to bribery cases by state officials or people at private firms.

The legal changes were not targeted at certain political factions but to improve the effectiveness of the graft-busting operation.

Panthep said official declaration on the documents would be sent to the consultancy to explain the matter after its report to the commission today.

The document would be drafted by Pakdee Pothisiri, a member of the commission, he said.

The PERC report said Thais were frustrated with corruption, which was now seen as a major issue in Thailand.

Furthermore, corruption had become "increasingly politicised", which meant political factions used claims of graft as an effective tool to discredit their opponents, sometimes without hard proof. So, the public was suspicious and had a negative view of the governing system.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NACC-stands-by-case-against-Yingluck-asks-if-all-f-30242664.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-06

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The supporters to hang YL are upset with the AG decision to turn back the report and re-look at it and add more juice to it. Now they have to come up with wild stories of pay backs by the Shins. I wish they would show prove instead of just these wild actuation. Please give facts not wild fantasies.

• Like 1

The fact that the OAG did not bother to read all of the documents, (if in fact that is the truth), indicates to me that it's pretty much case closed.....

So a joint panel will now try and make a stronger case for the prosection of YL......we'll see.

A huge face loss to the NACC.......which could well affect many other profile cases that they have on their books.

I don't mind sticking up for Yingluck, I think there is cause to say she knew, but how much , with the double talk and shady characters in the background, that you wouldn't invite to a mother in Laws BBQ, how was the scheme pitched to her, was any risk analysis given to her or alternative methods , the NACC should be going after the Ministers and heads of departments who introduced this stupid scheme, lets hear more in this direction. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The supporters to hang YL are upset with the AG decision to turn back the report and re-look at it and add more juice to it. Now they have to come up with wild stories of pay backs by the Shins. I wish they would show prove instead of just these wild actuation. Please give facts not wild fantasies.

Historical precedents are not good enough for you?

• Like 2

"Panthep also dismissed a claim in a report by the Political and Economic Risk Consultancy (PERC) - a Hong Kong-based consultant group - that the anti-graft agency plans to amend laws in order to target certain political factions." The response was "We are amending the laws, according to international standards."

Ok. Then why are such amendments to be enforced retroactively? That is not any international standard at all.

Amazing Thailand. It's like passing a law making it illegal to smoke in public, and then prosecuting the smokers on CCTV from 2010...and just the smokers from 2010.

"Well, we, um, have to ensure ...you know..that justice thing works the way we want it to. And stop criticizing us. The world is not our father, yeah, that's it! And tongue.png to you!"

Like most foreigners here, I don't care. In two years it will be the same clown show with different stars and painted smiles. What I am looking forward to is seeing who the TVF emoticons will target after the shinny-shin-shins are gone....it will be the same little blog bites and bits with new names plugged in.

I honestly wonder if it wouldn't be better if the military just stayed in charge for good. If the General passed by in his motorcade I would wai him respectfully, and that is not true for myself concerning the leaders of either side.

For crimeny's sake -- they just prosecuted the creator of the yellow shirts for crimes similar to Thaksin's -- with a much more severe sentence. If that doesn't prove both sides are dirty, then this ongoing discussion is politically religious, and involves intangible beliefs devoid of logic and reason.

• Like 1

I don't mind sticking up for Yingluck, I think there is cause to say she knew, but how much , with the double talk and shady characters in the background, that you wouldn't invite to a mother in Laws BBQ, how was the scheme pitched to her, was any risk analysis given to her or alternative methods , the NACC should be going after the Ministers and heads of departments who introduced this stupid scheme, lets hear more in this direction. coffee1.gif

Tend to agree but then is being pretty but dumb an excuse for the person in charge not only as PM but also as chair of the rice scheme incompetence. Difficult nailing her for corruption even thou there are now proven cases of corruption in the scheme as I am sure after all the previous Shinawatra cases and lessons learnt the money trails will be well hidden. She is certainly guilty of incompetence but is that a criminal offense or a ballot box decision? Next time she considers running for Parliament if other pending charges don't disqualify her for good she would be wise to do it on her own platform with her own ministers and not agree to be her scumbag brothers muppet.

MB. Well let her go free as she already stated " she has never done anything wrong" Believe the Shins word and you have problems mega style.

Because she was the headmistress and whatever went wrong in the school she has to take full responsibility. If she had little idea of what was wrong she should never have been headmistress in the first place. But with her being so good at her job and in control she appointed herself as Defense Minister.

Just to add she acted as Foreign minister in most cases as she travelled the world. ( clue here as to her not knowing what was happening within)

• Like 1

So the NACC is amending the law to fix all the legal loopholes so they can nail Yingluck. Watch for the NACC amending, modifying, enact retro active laws and interpreting according to its needs. Much like Taksin land case. They are so desperate that they will even bitch and by-pass the OAG

My opinion is that the Junta are probably behind this. Things have been relatively quiet since the coup and the Junta plan on keeping it that way i suspect.

Putting YS on trial will not serve the country well at this very fragile stage of a coup.

• Like 1

Your red mates have made a real fool of you today haven't they.

Look where all the wild fantasies are coming from, see posts 2, 9, 15, and 17 and that is only so far.

The fact is that the OAG will now get together with the NACC to insure the case they take against Yingluck is completely watertight.

Well the rest of Thailand (those with common sense) seemed to know

what was going in in the rice scam,so how could the PM at the time,not

know,i am sure she had plenty of advisers,i suppose "the buck stops here",

does not apply to Thailand,where taking personal responsibility(especially

among the rich and influential) is defiantly not a moral decision they make,

preferring to lie,use influence,sue,and any other devious means,if that all

fails they go into exile,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

So the NACC is amending the law to fix all the legal loopholes so they can nail Yingluck. Watch for the NACC amending, modifying, enact retro active laws and interpreting according to its needs. Much like Taksin land case. They are so desperate that they will even bitch and by-pass the OAG

What laws were changed in Thaksin's land case?

PTP were the biggest mis-interpreters and twisters of laws. Tarit in particular - look at his wonderful view of perjury in deciding not to proceed against Yinngy, the day after she took office. Or the AG deciding to let Thaksin off because although there was evidence he was out of the country at the time. Remember the judge saying he thought Thaksin guilty in the "honest mistake" case, but gave him another chance as he was PM?

Get your facts right Eric.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Look where all the wild fantasies are coming from, see posts 2, 9, 15, and 17 and that is only so far.

The fact is that the OAG will now get together with the NACC to insure the case they take against Yingluck is completely watertight.

i guess you forgot to read you yellow mates living in Fantasy land like post 3, 4, 8, 11, 12, 13 and on and on. Wake up Kid, wake up you been dreaming.

It's amazing what kind of view from responsibility some have here.

The whole last year there was several times, weekly news that there are irregularities with the rice scheme.

Ministers have repeatedly asked questions in Parliament.

- They mentioned the specific cases with names, quantities, location and even the account numbers.

- Internal administration officials, which have confirmed the irregularities, were transferred and made ​ silenced.

- About nightly bulk transfers of Natthawuts transport company was reported.

- The director of the BAAC was silenced.

- Reports on rotting and missing rice

- Warehouses were set on fire.

- Farmers had to wait for their money, were lied for months and some killed themselves.

So what those responsible ministers and the chairwoman (NRC) have done the whole last year?

- no parliamentary questions have been answered.

- Denial, cover up, lying, cheating, snake in the grass strategy.

- Alibi warehouse testing, with the result: everything was in best order.

This is more then only a case of dereliction of duty!

Negligent supervision duty injury with concealment in office.

The culprits have contributed absolutely nothing to clarify and limit the damage,

on the contrary, the damage was through the denial and passivity far from larger.

Everyone knows that the G-to-G deals were very high placed in the hierarchy.

Control mechanisms could be bypassed.

Or how else a 500 million baht check could be once issued?

Or how else somebody can provide and cash out a 500 million check at a bank without examination?

Or how else can 1 million tonnes of rice just got out of warehouses and disappear?

Those are more signs of organized economic crime, nothing less.

500 Million! isn't that about how much money Thaksin borrowed from the Russians for that Dubai construction project that went belly up??

The Russians would still want their money back plus interest of course.

Just curious coffee1.gif

Edited by Paulzed
  • Like 1

It's amazing what kind of view from responsibility some have here.

The whole last year there was several times, weekly news that there are irregularities with the rice scheme.

Ministers have repeatedly asked questions in Parliament.

- They mentioned the specific cases with names, quantities, location and even the account numbers.

- Internal administration officials, which have confirmed the irregularities, were transferred and made ​ silenced.

- About nightly bulk transfers of Natthawuts transport company was reported.

- The director of the BAAC was silenced.

- Reports on rotting and missing rice

- Warehouses were set on fire.

- Farmers had to wait for their money, were lied for months and some killed themselves.

So what those responsible ministers and the chairwoman (NRC) have done the whole last year?

- no parliamentary questions have been answered.

- Denial, cover up, lying, cheating, snake in the grass strategy.

- Alibi warehouse testing, with the result: everything was in best order.

This is more then only a case of dereliction of duty!

Negligent supervision duty injury with concealment in office.

The culprits have contributed absolutely nothing to clarify and limit the damage,

on the contrary, the damage was through the denial and passivity far from larger.

Everyone knows that the G-to-G deals were very high placed in the hierarchy.

Control mechanisms could be bypassed.

Or how else a 500 million baht check could be once issued?

Or how else somebody can provide and cash out a 500 million check at a bank without examination?

Or how else can 1 million tonnes of rice just got out of warehouses and disappear?

Those are more signs of organized economic crime, nothing less.

Then why did the NACC provide only a cover sheet from a report issued by an NGO as proof of the corruption? Generally the courts prefer some more substantial arguments and evidence than just "everyone knows". What it haste on NACC's part? They were an integral part of the planned series of steps to justify the overthrow of the government. Impeachment of Yingluck was one of those steps in order to use government instability as a major reason.

Take a look at the series of events leading up to the 2006 coup. Eerily similar to the steps leading up to the 2014 coupe. Almost as if taken from a playbook...

PTP were the biggest mis-interpreters and twisters of laws. Tarit in particular - look at his wonderful view of perjury in deciding not to proceed against Yinngy, the day after she took office. Or the AG deciding to let Thaksin off because although there was evidence he was out of the country at the time. Remember the judge saying he thought Thaksin guilty in the "honest mistake" case, but gave him another chance as he was PM?

It's no good worrying about Eric - he's as big a Thaksin apologist as Fab4 or Mango Bob. He's just a lot creepier.

It's no good worrying about Eric - he's as big a Thaksin apologist as Fab4 or Mango Bob. He's just a lot creepier.

Dru, the impression that I got from your reply is that you never face your life objectively and tend to side step and avoid. I have never seen a reply from you with objective rebuttal and worst here, you insult and dragged other posters into your degratory remark.

What I have posted are not my opinion but extracts from news. NACC is amending laws and intend to by-pass OAG are all documented news including statement that they want to nail Yingluck. Even Taksin land case that even amazed the then BOT governor Pridiyathorn (current deputy PM) who was the legal supervisor of the tender, not Taksin and that the tender price was above market price. Retro active laws were enacted here. If you don't understand what I am saying, you really is lacking in knowledge to discuss this.

A major problem is that the NACC has little investigation power.
They need to beg for every little piece of paper.
Quite in contrast to some European tax investigation authorities,
like Guardia di Finanza in Italy or the Steuerfahndung in germany.
If there is sufficient suspicion and it is necessary, then they come with 200 or more specialists
(accounting professionals, computer specialists, tax officers, interrogation psychologists) for a visit.
All phones and computer lines of the suspects are blocked before.
If someone does not cooperate, then they sent them immediately in Detention, so they can not warn other culprits.
This kind of tax police brings the state more money than it costs.
Guess in Thailand they would start in the Ministry of Finance.
Full systematically, first the review of all money transfers over 100 Million Baht.
Who signed the payment, which bank has received the money, for what and who are the account holders.
Certainly they could identify a plot, a cluster or some persons with names.
This is hard work but not rocket science.
Edited by tomacht8

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i guess you forgot to read you yellow mates living in Fantasy land like post 3, 4, 8, 11, 12, 13 and on and on. Wake up Kid, wake up you been dreaming.

You think that the historical precedents of Shinawatra retribution in post #8 are fantasy? Like the Pegasus, such a thing never existed? That puts you in a very exclusive group of people, most excluded from society for public safety.