Same-sex wedding for British diplomat in China

Lite Beer

Same-sex wedding for British diplomat in China

BEIJING - Britain's consul-general in Shanghai married his same-sex partner at the ambassador's residence in Beijing at the weekend, sparking debate over gay unions in the country.

Brian Davidson wed his American partner Scott Chang on Saturday, according to posts on a verified microblog account, under new rules allowing UK nationals in same-sex relationships to marry in British consulates in 24 countries around the world.

Ambassador Sebastian Wood posted a picture of himself standing between the newly-wed couple, who were dressed in suits and bow ties.

Wood smiled as he held a red card reading "keep calm and carry on".

"Today I am very happy and proud to host the same-sex marriage of Brian Davidson at my residence. I wish them happiness forever," Wood wrote on Sina Weibo, a Chinese equivalent of Twitter.

A spokesman for Britain’s embassy in Beijing confirmed to AFP that the wedding had taken place, but said that the couple viewed it as a "private matter".

The ceremony provoked mixed reactions in China, where gay relationships are not illegal, but homosexual partners face widespread stigma and same-sex unions are not officially recognised.

"That country is clearly sick. It’s like the last days of Rome," one person wrote in an online comment.

"I respect foreign gay culture. But it’s not Chinese culture. Please respect that," wrote another.

Attitudes to homosexuality in larger Chinese cities have become more open in recent years, and many celebrated the marriage, which was h "It’s real love. I wish them well and feel envy," wrote one Sina Weibo user.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Same-sex-wedding-for-British-diplomat-in-China-30242864.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-09

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no rational reason to discriminate against same sex couples in this matter. Bravo to Britain! clap2.gif China and the rest of Asia (except for the Muslim dominated countries) will come along to marriage equality EVENTUALLY.

Edited by Jingthing

One would have thought that as a diplomat he could have been a little more discreet, waited until he was back in liberal,anything goes, Britain,its not as if his partner is pregnant, we aren't that far yet.

Why would you suggest discriminating against gay British nationals in China? If they are doing marriages there, and they can legally do same sex marriages, they absolutely did the right thing.

• Like 1

One would have thought that as a diplomat he could have been a little more discreet, waited until he was back in liberal,anything goes, Britain,its not as if his partner is pregnant, we aren't that far yet.

It's sovereign British territory, so technically he did.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

It sounds like the goal is, more than matrimony, to piss off the Chinese. Doesn't seem very diplomat-like...

There is no shortage of things that almost certainly piss off the Chinese. Are the British or Americans or whoever going to cower for fear of ticking off the Chinese? Being diplomatic does not equate to hiding in closets of any sort.

During the Apartheid period the US Ambassador to South Africa was an African American who often put himself in the middle of some dicey situations. I doubt P.W. Botha was pleased, but because of his visible intervention, it's possible Apartheid ended a bit sooner than it otherwise would have.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Civil rights movements always piss off some people. Chinese gays are fighting for the same rights. I doubt they are pissed off. It's annoying to hear the lame excuses to try to rationalize bigotry.

I agree with you fully. But it's really not the place of diplomats to do things like this, don't you think? If Chinese people had a big movement for same-sex marriage going there, then taking a stand with that as a diplomat might be understandable.

But as a diplomat coming in and saying, "Y'all are behind the times. I'm gonna help ya catch up," isn't very diplomatic. Diplomats are about smoothing relations, not about importing a new controversy.

"Diplomats are about smoothing relations, not about importing a new controversy."

We'll assume you're not a student of history.

China livid over US plan to rename embassy street after dissident

Aside from my example of South Africa above, how many embassies have offered sanctuary to dissidents of the host nation, including Chinese dissidents at diplomatic missions in China.

Diplomatic crisis: Chinese pro-life dissident flees to US Embassy

There's a reason why diplomats and embassies have immunity from arrest or invasion by police and it isn't out of fear that they'll be caught smoothing relations.

Edited by Suradit69

It sounds like the goal is, more than matrimony, to piss off the Chinese. Doesn't seem very diplomat-like...

There is no shortage of things that almost certainly piss off the Chinese. Are the British or Americans or whoever going to cower for fear of ticking off the Chinese? Being diplomatic does not equate to hiding in closets of any sort.

During the Apartheid period the US Ambassador to South Africa was an African American who often put himself in the middle of some dicey situations. I doubt P.W. Botha was pleased, but because of his visible intervention, it's possible Apartheid ended a bit sooner than it otherwise would have.

Yes, the U.S. did that because the U.S. was taking a stand against Apartheid. The U.S. government wanted to send a message. Do you think that's what happened in China? The UK wants to take a stand on gay marriage? If that's the case, then what this diplomat did is keeping with what diplomats are hired to do.

"Diplomats are about smoothing relations, not about importing a new controversy."

We'll assume you're not a student of history.

Yes, of course diplomats do things that don't smooth relations, of course sometimes they push agendas from their home countries, as I agreed with you in your other post. It is a separate matter, though, to do it for personal reasons. I'm glad the guy got married, I wish happiness to the couple. But that seems like an uncool choice considering his position.

I see nothing morally wrong with smoking pot, but I think it would be out of place for a diplomat to smoke pot in a country where doing so is illegal. Unless the diplomat's home country is trying to push a policy of other-countries-should-stop-arresting-pot-smokers, in which case, it's part of the job, like your South Africa example. If diplomats decide to smoke a joint on their own, then it should probably be smoked without calling the press.

Pushing a personal message as a diplomat is uncool.

I like your profile gif, btw. Totally cute.

• Like 1

I don't know about the U.K. but yes it is definitely U.S. policy to openly promote human rights/equal rights for gay people all over the world. So embassy based gay pride events are held sometimes in gay rights hostile countries, rainbow flags are sometimes flown, gay groups in foreign countries are invited in for discussion, governments with disgusting oppressive anti-gay laws are lobbied, etc. If you don't know about that, google is your friend. Hillary Clinton when she was Obama's Secretary of State made a historic speech to the U.N. (Gay rights are HUMAN rights). Sadly, that policy is likely to change if a republican is ever elected U.S. president again, but that is the current policy. Every country is at a different place. Obviously some countries will never legalize same sex marriage, but just not murdering the gays would be progress in some places.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

The last days of Rome, eh? A sick culture. Yes, I suppose he's correct. Britain and the West has become that. The Romans were buggering each other as much as they could and the Germans and Vandals just walked in pissing themselves with laughter and took what they wanted. Seems pretty much a repeat of that, alright. I suppose that is why the Scots want to pull out. (pardon the pun, please).

• Like 1

The last days of Rome, eh? A sick culture. Yes, I suppose he's correct. Britain and the West has become that. The Romans were buggering each other as much as they could and the Germans and Vandals just walked in pissing themselves with laughter and took what they wanted. Seems pretty much a repeat of that, alright. I suppose that is why the Scots want to pull out. (pardon the pun, please).

I reckon dirty old men going to the Far East to prey on economically vulnerable young women for sexual perversion is far sicker than a couple of like minded blokes doing it.

There's nothing 'vulnerable' about a bar girl,try one and see, oh! you can't.

Tell you what, it was a sick culture that drove Dr. Alan Turing to commit suicide.

• Like 2

Tell you what, it was a sick culture that drove Dr. Alan Turing to commit suicide.

He was a man of his time although he did try to be discreet but when all is said and done he did kill himself,he wasn't told to. A great brain with little self esteem.