Bangkok Bank - How can I open a direct deposit account so I can do bank transfers from a USA bank ?

I recently opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank opposite Terminal 21. I asked about direct deposit and they seemed confused and just gave me the swift number so I could send money from USA > my new savings account.

I read mention of a "Direct Deposit Account".

Can someone clarify this for me. With this type of account can I just do a normal bank > bank transfer in USA and have the money available in Thailand? If so then does anyone have a suggestion how I could ask for this type of account. The lady I spoke to seemed confused and at the time I didn't have all the facts with me to explain to her.

Thanks,

It isn't a special account. The terms "direct deposit" was confusing to whoever you spoke to. You open an ordinary savings account at a branch of Bangkok Bank in Thailand. Yes you have an ATM card and yes you can make withdrawals in Thailand once the transfer is completed ... usually in two or three days, allowing also for weekends or holidays.

Domestic transfers can be made from your US bank (or other payer) to Bangkok Bank in New York using exactly the same name and account number that you have on the account in Thailand.

It is a domestic transfer (no need for an International transfer) from an American bank in dollars. The dollars you deposit in NY will appear as a baht bank deposit in your account here in a couple of days and your passbook entry will show it is a foreign exchange deposit, which may be useful in future with Immigrations. The NY branch will charge $10 and your local branch Baht 200 for transfer ... at least that's what I'm charged when transferring monthly amounts in the $2000 to $4000 range. My US bank does not charge for a domestic electronic transfer, so the cost is minimal and the exchange rate is the one posted by Bangkok Bank.

Depending on what your payer or transferring bank require, you can use the ABA number or Fed routing number below. No need for an international transfer and no need for a Swift code.

New York Branch

Mr. Thitipong Prasertsilp, VP & Branch Manager

29 Broadway, 19th Floor, New York

NY 10006

Business Hours: Mon-Fri (9:00 am to 5:00 pm)

Tel: (1-212) 422-8200

Fax: (1-212) 422-0728

SWIFT: BKKB US 33

E-mail: [email protected]

FED Routing No: 026008691

CHIPS ABA: 0869

Excellent info. Thanks. I've been transferring from US to my local account for years and didn't know of this option.

Go to a bank and ask the question. You will get all sorts of conflicting information on TV!!

The OP did go to a Bangkok Bank branch. All info needed regarding a Direct Deposit account is on the Bangkok Bank webpage as given earlier.

It isn't a special account. The terms "direct deposit" was confusing to whoever you spoke to. You open an ordinary savings account at a branch of Bangkok Bank in Thailand. Yes you have an ATM card and yes you can make withdrawals in Thailand once the transfer is completed ... usually in two or three days, allowing also for weekends or holidays.

Domestic transfers can be made from your US bank (or other payer) to Bangkok Bank in New York using exactly the same name and account number that you have on the account in Thailand.

It is a domestic transfer (no need for an International transfer) from an American bank in dollars. The dollars you deposit in NY will appear as a baht bank deposit in your account here in a couple of days and your passbook entry will show it is a foreign exchange deposit, which may be useful in future with Immigrations. The NY branch will charge $10 and your local branch Baht 200 for transfer ... at least that's what I'm charged when transferring monthly amounts in the $2000 to $4000 range. My US bank does not charge for a domestic electronic transfer, so the cost is minimal and the exchange rate is the one posted by Bangkok Bank.

Depending on what your payer or transferring bank require, you can use the ABA number or Fed routing number below. No need for an international transfer and no need for a Swift code.

New York Branch

NY 10006

Actually the fee is $5 for exactly $2,000 transfer so you must be sending at least one cent more than 2k to get the $10 fee.

I am here in Thailand and have an account with Usbank back in the USA, I have an account with Bangkok Bank here in Thailand.

Can anyone tell me the procedure or steps for tranfering money from the US to my Bangkok bank account.

Can I do this on the internet Banking sight of Usbank ?

New York Branch

NY 10006

BKK Bank NY fee is $5.00 not $10.00

I am here in Thailand and have an account with Usbank back in the USA, I have an account with Bangkok Bank here in Thailand.

Can anyone tell me the procedure or steps for tranfering money from the US to my Bangkok bank account.

Yes you can. Use BKK Bank US routing number [see above] and you BKK Bank Thai bank account number.

I am a Canadian with accounts with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai. I have accounts with TD Bank in Canada and they strongly resist making international transfers - the fiasco in satisfying their security requirements have morphed into currently my writing the instructions, emailing it to someone in Canada to fax to the bank. This third party fax transmission is considered more secure than the direct emailing of a pdf from my email address which they know.

Anyway, I expect that my ability to prevail in this matter is coming to an end. I contacted my Branch Manager at Bangkok Bank to see if she could assist me in opening an account in New York and she said it was a separate company and that she could not. I asked the TD Bank manager about using ACH and he had never heard of it. I believe TD will cooperate still on transfers to the USA as they have a presence there, but a separate corporate entity and operations completely.

Anybody with a Bangkok Bank New York account have suggestions on setting up an account for a non-resident of Canada living in Thailand? Can I somehow use a SWIFT transfer and dictate the routing be through New York, though I do not know that it really would appease my bank? Any other suggestions?

Yes you can. Use BKK Bank US routing number [see above] and you BKK Bank Thai bank account number.

When setting up with your home back use one way transfers option if they offer that as it can not be used to withdraw money from Bangkok Bank and any such attempt will result it lock of account. If a normal set up without such option they will send test deposits of a few cents for first time and you will have to report back receipt and amount. You can obtain by phone call to Bangkok Bank or if you have SMS set up it will be sent to you.

Ok all I know is Bangkok Bank in New York is not a bank, It is only for transfering money.

I called there when i was in usa. I just went to my Usbank online account

hit transfer money, Went to external transfer, hit add account, put in the routing number for Bangkok bank NY #026008691

Bangkok bank NY pops up, Now put in Bangkok bank savings account number and hit submit.

Says they will due 2 small test transfers and then reclaim money. 1 to 2 days. Then I have to log back in and follow instructions to complete sign up.

Was very simple.

• Like 2

For ACH domestic transfers only an account with Bangkok Bank can be used as that is the only Thai bank with such a US branch having such ability. For SWIFT type transfers requirements will be set by your home bank and indeed may require it be set up in person (general agreement for foreign transfers).

I am a Canadian with accounts with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai. I have accounts with TD Bank in Canada and they strongly resist making international transfers - the fiasco in satisfying their security requirements have morphed into currently my writing the instructions, emailing it to someone in Canada to fax to the bank. This third party fax transmission is considered more secure than the direct emailing of a pdf from my email address which they know.

Anyway, I expect that my ability to prevail in this matter is coming to an end. I contacted my Branch Manager at Bangkok Bank to see if she could assist me in opening an account in New York and she said it was a separate company and that she could not. I asked the TD Bank manager about using ACH and he had never heard of it. I believe TD will cooperate still on transfers to the USA as they have a presence there, but a separate corporate entity and operations completely.

Anybody with a Bangkok Bank New York account have suggestions on setting up an account for a non-resident of Canada living in Thailand? Can I somehow use a SWIFT transfer and dictate the routing be through New York, though I do not know that it really would appease my bank? Any other suggestions?

I too am a Canadian with accounts with BB in CM and TD Bank in Vancouver. Getting money from TD to BB is a nightmare. My TD branch (and their website) say that to transfer money to Thailand I need to go to a TD branch. The nearest is Vancouver! I am surprised to hear that you have found a way, via fax, to get them to transfer money here. I do have a direct transfer of funds monthly from the US to BB here, but I am not sure if it goes thru BB-New York.

New York Branch

NY 10006

Excellent info. Thanks. I've been transferring from US to my local account for years and didn't know of this option.

What a great piece of information. I am not American but it would be worth looking into for people from other parts of the world where a Thai bank existed. Thank's for sharing that....Good Luck and God Bless.

OK Thanks for the help, just signed up for the transfers.

I got some really bad advice from the banker at Usbank, they told me I had to be present at the bank to transfer money.

Thanks again for the help.

The USBank online ACH service began only months ago, perhaps June of 2014.

For the OP, I have my Social Security 'direct deposited' into my Bangkok Bank Account using the RTN of their New York number which is also called ABA nbr. No problems.

I have a portion ('Alotment') of my other retirement sent to the same Bangkok New York branch with the RTN (routing transit number) 'direct deposit' into my savings account number at the Bangkok bank here in Thailand that I opened over near the Friday Saturday market in Pattaya.

On occasion I can transfer a thousand dollars from the Bank of America online site to Bank of Thailand account number via the New York branch of the Bangkok Bank, but BoA charges $3 each time and the limit is $1000 for me. What Bangkok Bank charges I can not figure out.

Edited by IAMHERE

New York Branch

NY 10006

Actually the fee is $5 for exactly $2,000 transfer so you must be sending at least one cent more than 2k to get the $10 fee.

Yes, I usually send more than $2000. I think I have seen a $5 charge a few times in the past, but didn't realize that $2000 was the threshold for the increased charge.

Well, as Lopburi has pointed out, it seems it's $5 if you transfer less than $2000 and $10 to transfer over $2000. Not sure if it increases more at higher transfer amounts.

To me it seems like A hastle trying to tell them what you want.I decided to use schwab.All the ATM fees are reimbursed.No fuss no muss.

Not sure what you mean by "telling them what you want." I log onto my Vanguard money market account in the US and click a few things, fill in the amount of the transfer and I'm done.

All the Bangkok Bank details have been saved in my Vanguard account for years, so I can complete the transaction in less time than it would take to find an ATM and do the needful.

No limits on the amount I can get. No ATM skimmers to worry about. No pocketful of cash that everyone on the street just saw me pull from the ATM.

Not sure about the cost issues and exchange rates used compared to an ATM draw, but I find them both to be reasonable with the transfer to Bangkok Bank.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Lars is correct, I work in the Middle East, and as we all know, funds coming from a bank say in IRAQ, UAE, YEMEN is suspicious to say the least. However for the past 10 years, my salary from any of these countries I might be working in has been no problem, the BIG Yellow bank in BKK, verifies the company and bank I sign a form if the deposit is over $50,000, and never an issue, money from my US acct. same thing, not a problem, When I hear people speak of Swift Acct., Swift is the routing code number system for the bank, not sure if its an account also.

Any normal savings account in a Thai bank will be ok when sending money from your home country to that account. You can do it over internet or doing it from a real bank. I have done this for more than 20 years

You don't want the special Direct Deposit account at Bangkok Bank unless you are having a U.S. govt/private pension sent directly to Bangkok Bank as this type of account comes with some restrictions such as no ATM card, no online transfer outs, and a person must appear in person at a branch to accomplish a withdrawal/transfer.

If you are talking having monthly pension sent directly from the pension agency to your Bangkok Bank account then you do need a Direct Deposit account as eventually Bangkok Bank will spot it's a monthly pension payment, especially if coming from the U.S. Govt due to coding in the transfer, and put a hold on posting the funds to your account until you come in a open a direct deposit account...well, actually they'll only put the money on hold for about 30 days before sending it back. Assuming your U.S. bank provides free/low cost ACH transfers best to have your pension first go to your U.S. bank, and then do transfers (manual or automatic) from your U.S. bank via Bangkok Bank NY to your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank "regular" savings account which don't have the restrictions of Direct Deposit account.

Go to this Bangkok Bank webpage and open up the link talking about the Direct Deposit account.

Wow! Thanks Pib! I've been getting hammered by Paypal on my monthly S.S. and pension transfers. This is really good news! (If it works out for me anyway).

New York Branch

NY 10006

The Bangkok Bank fee in NY depends on the amount transferred. It's $5 up to 2000 baht and then goes up to $10. The maximum amount is $20 but I don't remember were the increases occur and I'm too lazy to check!