Thai PM 'sorry' for bikini remarks after Brit murder

webfact

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some young and not so young tourists to tend to treat the islands as a hedonistic booze filled bucket "playground", and then the hard reality of life sometimes ruins the games. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality and being "PC" about it doesn't help. Yes, be direct, <deleted> "PC" ...... tell the girls...if they're going to walk around remote areas in the wee hours in a bikini, they're at risk. It's not nice, it's not right, but it's reality.

So women in bikinis will be raped and murdered but those in pants spared?
You seem to have trouble connecting dots so here is some help.

Women can have an impact on their own safety by the choices they make.

Ways to increase the risk of being a victim of sexual violence:

--Travel alone.

--Travel alone after midnight.

--Be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

--Wear provocative clothing, i.e. dress like a sex worker.

--Have sex in a public area at 3:00 in the morning.

Not much good ever happens after midnight in Thailand. The incidence of drunken brawls, sexual advances, drunk drivers, etc increases greatly.

None of which is relevant. Better that piece of poo men learn to control their animal instincts.

Certainly its relevant if you have daughters and wish to keep them from harm's way because the reality is there are bad men in the world, in every country of the world.

And anyone who thinks they can stop "poo men" is perhaps taking on a bit larger task than is possible.

• Like 1

I'm afraid that perhaps the Thai police and the General have spent so much time trying to blame it on farang(s) that they have let the real non-farang killers escape.

I hope that isn't true.

NeverSure, if we go on your assumption that the killer(s) were not farang, then they would more likely be known or be participants to the local community. One thing I have seen in Thailand is secrets don't last long and sooner or later those committing crimes are caught up with. They may not be adequately punished but they are usually identified.

I would be far more concerned about the lack of swift identification if the attacker were farang than local since:

1) The local community is much smaller than the tourist population.

2) the farangs have no ties to the community to aid law enforcement.

The police understood a swift response was necessary IF the attacker had been a farang capable of a swift escape to a foreign land; however, if the attacker is local then time works to the advantage of the police.

Just my opinion.

Edited by ClutchClark

Its not only the general that puts his foot in it.

The Duke of Edinburgh in the UK is notorious, although possibly amusing (to some) he has not appeared as offensive as this in relation to people being raped and murdered. RIP.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/21/top-10-prince-philip-gaffes-3508245/

Edited by soihok

CONTROVERSY
Prayuth apologises for bikini remark after global outcry

The Nation, Agencies

Prayuth says it was not said as an insult, but more as a warning

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayuth Chan-ocha yesterday apologised for his bikini remarks in the face of an international outcry. Britain raised concerns after the junta leader suggested tourists in bikinis could be more vulnerable to attack.

His comments followed the brutal murders of two British holidaymakers on Koh Tao.

"I want to apologise for everything if my remark was too harsh and caused misunderstanding," Prayuth said.

"I'm sorry that it hurt people. I have too much pressure and feel sorry about the loss [of lives] whether they are Thais or foreigners."

Prayuth on Wednesday drew condemnation after questioning the safety of female tourists in the Kingdom.

His remarks came just two days after the battered bodies of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found on the southern resort island of Koh Tao.

"They think our country is beautiful and is safe so they can do whatever they want, they can wear bikinis and walk everywhere," Prayuth, who is also the junta chief, told top government officials during a policy address.

"[but] can they be safe in bikinis ... unless they are not beautiful?"

The premier insisted that he did not intend to insult or blame anyone but just wanted to warn people to be more careful when travelling.

He said he contacted the British embassy to clear up the matter and would explain further in his weekly television programme today.

He said Thailand was still safe but, like other places in the world, bad people existed here, adding that he had instructed security officials to implement tough measures to protect tourists.

"Police must arrest the culprit [in the murder of Miller and Witheridge]," he said.

Deputy government spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the British embassy in Bangkok had contacted the PM's personal aides seeking clarification following the remarks.

"We told them that the PM is ready to apologise if the remarks caused concern and affected the relationship between the two countries," Sansern said.

Meanwhile, Deutsche Presse-Agentur reported that many Thais had reacted with outrage on social media.

It said one Facebook user labelled the comments "unbelievable and makes me ashamed that my country has anything to do with such uneducated and ignorant views".

"A Twitter user asked rhetorically whether Thailand was to become 'the first Buddhist country to adopt the burka as swimwear for women'," author and commentator SP Somtow told DPA.

"It might bear pointing out that traditional Thai wear for women is topless. Much of what people think is morality is stuff that Christian missionaries brought over. It is not our culture." Pavida Pananond, a political economy professor at Thammasat University, said the premier's comments "reflect a deep-rooted sexist belief that rape is caused by women acting or dressing improperly, not by men behaving unacceptably".

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prayuth-apologises-for-bikini-remark-after-global--30243630.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-19

" I have too much pressure " is a terrible excuse.

He orchestrated the coup and was rubber stamped in the job so is he now saying it's getting too much for him ?

I'v read so many times he's impatient and short tempered which is only human after all but there's a big difference between barking at military subordinates and making comments, as the leader of a country, which have international implications.

Maybe Thais don't care what the rest of the world thinks but they ignore at their peril especially when the country values tourism and the revenue it generates.

Next comes the AEC and playing a part in regional integration with other Asian nations that value face as much as the Thais so unguarded remarks will have consequences too.

.............after all, this a guy that has names for his rings and introduces them to the press............

xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

If I announced that I have too much pressure in my job my employer would be handing me my notice.

• Like 1

I think I am actually starting to like the guy. Not for his apology, but for his honest statement of the obvious that got him in trouble. It has long been politically incorrect and taboo to blame any victim for anything, but anybody that thinks a hot sexily dressed woman walking through a bad neighborhood alone is not less likely to be molested that say a woman dressed in a full Muslim cover up suit is out of touch with reality.

So I've also stated the obvious, so let's get started all you TV apologists, lynch me.

It was on a beach.

We don't know what she was wearing do we?

As far as the General goes I am happy that he is in this position for the time being and not some greedy scum bag. They will return at some point though.

Wow the great leader is fallible.... I am shocked... what will happen.. maybe democracy...

you didn't know that there will be elections next year?

If I've learned anything about Thai elections it's that they don't generally lead to democracy.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

Well aside from inferring victims look for trouble ( like typical westerner sinners)

He cashes in on the Thai perception their organised prostitution rackets in Thailand are our doing.

We force them somehow to build cities like Pattaya .

Which this good moral virtuous leader insists will be eradicated of all sin.

We shall see.

Hypocrisy , seems to be abundant in Thai commentary .

But in this instance it's grossly repugnant and vile.

And he ought to bow down in shame and keep his mouth closed and arrest the Thais obviously behind this.

Instead of focusing on westerners and whoever else will do to prevent the world from discovering the xenophobic hatred for us through out this nation - from leader down .

• Like 2

first time in 15 years I have heard a thai say sorry....although it wasn't a direct apology at what he said....but it shows some character anyway......lol

It holds about as much gravity and sincerity as a sex worker being requested to say "" I love you"" during her financial work routine with some bum.

And that's what he thinks of westerners.

This has much more to do with galvanising Thais than apologising to US .

Thai web sites are saying he shouldn't have and in any case didn't mean it , and what he says about our behaviour and moral code is true.

He has achieved his goal .

This is propaganda and he is a master .

Even my girl friend with a double degree who is Thai feels he should not have said this to "" Farangs"" and we certainly don't deserve any apology .

Previously she wasn't a fan of his.

But now is

You have to understand the General's age and thus his conservative Thai POV. I see nothing wrong with what he said in the context of it.

Well then you'll be right at home here for the duration of his lifetime tenure.

aussieinthailand, on 18 Sept 2014 - 18:38, said:

OK he's got the stones to put his hand up, respect for that, not many Thais apologize when they get it wrong, but he has so fair enough.

He had little choice, the international community was on his back. Saying what he said is not only an embarrassment for him but also for Thailand.

Fair play to the General/PM at least he's stepped up, although I don't believe he said what he did with malice, and his attempts at humour backfired.

He was forced to step up. I bet there was a lot of bitching and cursing of the internal media behind closed doors before he stepped up and put on the fake smile.

He should have resigned as he is obviously not qualified to hold such a position.

Gsxrnz, on 18 Sept 2014 - 18:18, said:

I'm surprised none of the left wing women's rights media/journos have given him grief over the "...unless they are not beautiful." aspect of his comment.

They should protest, in front of his office, wearing bikinis...

I sent it to two ultra feminist Lesbian groups in Sydney and I noticed the media boards lighting up two hours later- these woman make Dracula' s blood lust look tame.

If he were in Sydney ( Please note Australia has banned all junta and families in Thailand from entry ) he would be hung by these feminists .

• Like 2