Anyone with experience installing an electric fence here...to keep out cats?

bamboozled

My neighbor on my right side has two non-neutered male cats that are attacking my two neutered 7 month old cats. One has already been bitten and developed an abscess/infection and is still recovering. So, I can either talk to my neighbors...but I'm pretty sure that would not solve anything, keep my cats inside all the time...or attach some electrified wires on top of the existing cinderblock wall surrounding my rented property. My cats could then enjoy the big yard in safety. I'm fairly handy and it seems pretty simple but some pieces and parts will be needed. If you know where I might find those pieces and parts or have any other tips/info, I and my cats would appreciate it.

If I'm out of my tree on this let me know.

Cheers, Bamboozled.

I've been looking at you tube. It appears some parts are required to regulate the voltage. Or at least a car ignition coil and some circuit board thingy. I have a battery charger that could be used but that's not enough voltage. I saw a ready made power box on Youtube but from the States. There must be something similar here in Thai 4 the Kwai?

If it is a correctly installed cattle fence, no problem. You can find stuff on Youtube.

AGREED! You can legally only use a cattle fence, which is a regulated voltage and amperage. It's enough to stun a cow, or keep up with idiot sheep who never learn. I know my cat only made a short cut under the wire once. She was wet and her tail hit the live wire. Fastest cat in the state! Boy, was she mad!!

If you did something nasty like hooking up mains voltage, be prepared to spend a long time in BKK Hilton, as it will wipe out your neighbour's cats and the neighbour too.

You just need insulators, and one or two active wires and an earth wire.

A neighbour of mine in Australia hooked up a lethal fence once to keep possums off his roof at night. Worked a treat, and he wondered why his tank water was a bit gamey after a few weeks.

When you want keep cats out of your garden, you must use only a littel bit oil .

I don't know the English word for this oil but in Latin its Oleum animale foetidum crudum

Maybe you can find an English website with the keyword oleum animale ( i can tell you the odeur is terrible) also I dont know where you can find this in Chiangmai.

When you use this you never have problems with cats or dogs

My house is only 2 meters from this fence. Any odor would be discernible to me, too. I'm thinking to put a meter of chicken wire on the top of the cinderblock fence to start which will I think will help...flimsy stuff that's not fun to climb. I thought a small current through this would suffice. Perhaps all that is necessary is a couple strands of barbed wire in addition to the chicken wire. Now that I think about it, the top of the wall has broken glass embedded in it....just lovely...so I suppose barbed wire isn't really going to raise eyebrows. Not sure who put the glass there or when. There are some spots where the bushes grow over it. Guess I'll have to cut those back.

...maybe I can get away without the electricity....

Wouldn't it be easier to fix some plastic sheeting (the corrugated type will do) vertically with the fence. If you fix from your side should be no issue. Make sure they protrude vertically from the wall a least 12ins

Even if the cat can walk on the other side, it can't cross over the thin plastic surface.

I don't think playing with electricity, especially in an urban setting is a good idea!

• Like 1

The cats are just going to come into your garden from the other side

if you put up an electric fence between your two houses,i would say

there would be no way you could keep cats out, what about a dog

that would work,just let it be friendly with your cats.

regards worgeordie

Well, the plastic sheeting...I think the cat would just climb up it. Can climb up the chicken wire, as well, but it doesn't look quite as obtrusive and I don't think quite as easy as probably not so comfortable on the paws. On the other side of the house is another wall and my neighbor there has a dog that stays outside (and howls and barks without pause) so no problem with the cat coming in there. The front will require the same work as the side but will greatly reduce any entering of the cat (there is already a wall and fence, just not "cat proof"). As for the back, well, once I block the side where the neighbor is, the "bad" cat won't have easy access to get in from that vantage point. There is a fence already, as well.

If you google electric fence, cats you will see remarks about this being cruel. (Rubbish). If you combine the fence with a yellow plastic band, you can be sure that the cats, that will only ever touch the fence ONCE, will associate yellow plastic with discomfort. Seems like a waste of money to install something that will only get utilised once or twice a year, but it works. If you live near Buriram I can give you a cattle fence box, no guarantee, I haven't used it for 20 years. Needs mains 'lectrics though.

I once noted a fence which had Rollers all the way along it's top (imagine what a stack of fluro tubes laid end to end looks like...)

Cat jumps up and the Roller spins the cat off

Don't know what the rollers were actually made from - but it really worked!!

BTW the electric fencer concept works really well for keeping dogs from peeing on your car wheels.

I had 4 old and retired tyred-wheels laying about.

Laid them up against each of the 4 wheels on my car.

Alligator clipped this great long lead, daisy-chaining each wheel together, all from the electric fencer which was up in the garage.

One yelp, and the dog didn't do it again for 6 months

We had four "attackers" and we choose another way to keep our four kittens safe.

I installed a magnetic cat flap (4-way-in-and-out, producer: Staywell; ordered online from Bangkok, B2890) in our kitchen door.

So they can come and go as they wish. Your cats will love the flap.

In addition we planted two bigger trees in the garden where they could jump up if they could not reach the flap in time.

The biggest advantage (for me) is that if we go on holidays they still can keep the same routine; the security guard only need to refill the food trays.

But you shouldn't worry too much if your cats loose a fight and get hurt. Cat fight is a normal behaviour. Your cats will learn to stay away from the attackers.

There is one disadvantage with the cat flap:

our smallest one loves the big (6.5kg) attacker and she watches from inside the house (through the transparent flap) the big attacker which stays outside and she stays so close to the flap that her magnetic collar opens the flap and the attacker comes in.

In the meanwhile the big attacker made our home his home (he sleeps under the car and also get the food from us) and he fights off the other three attackers without our ones getting involved.

Good luck!

OP, you have a modest problem, if you wish to consider it a problem. Cats are basically too clever, if outside, to be constrained so give up bizarre notions of impratical and expensive artificial barriers. If you were to start putting up such barriers, you are asking for MUCH bigger problems with your neighbor than cats establishing neighborhood rank order. Let the cats figure it out. They are quite good at that. Otherwise, keep your cats inside or move.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 2

I've been looking at you tube. It appears some parts are required to regulate the voltage. Or at least a car ignition coil and some circuit board thingy. I have a battery charger that could be used but that's not enough voltage. I saw a ready made power box on Youtube but from the States. There must be something similar here in Thai 4 the Kwai?

I used one to keep herons away from the Koi Carp.

You can buy them from hardware or animal supplies stores about 1000 Baht.

Hi. I was going to do the same thing but changed my mind due to unknowns. I have a concrete surrounding brick wall.

What I did was to buy some lengths of 25mil X 3mil flat steel . I drilled two holes in the near bottom of the bars and also put into the concrete "Dyna Bolts" 50 mil x 8mil.

The dyna bolts hold the steel bars 1 meter long in place...When the bars are all secured, I put on green plastic covered (no rust)

bird wire attached to the bars by drilling four holes up the length and tied with nylon cable ties..

We had 2 cats try it out and we could not stop laughing..They jumped up the concrete ok but as soon as they

put their claws into the wire they cannot hold on..and had to go up the banana tree to jump over..

Cats never come into our yard anymore because if they jump from the outside they cannot climb the wire..

Very, very effective.. Q's please ask...

If it is a correctly installed cattle fence, no problem. You can find stuff on Youtube.

You can buy a cattlefence controller opposite the old sportstadium at the animalfoodstore.

I bought one there 8 years ago,still works.I think it was 1400 baht.

OP you could be in big poo if you fry a cat. Better to try some botanical methods. I understand that there are several plants cats won't go near, but not sure which ones. Try the pet or farming forums, or google. You could probably set up a screen. Alternatively find a dog that likes your cats but not the neighbours'. Cheers.

• Like 1

We had four "attackers" and we choose another way to keep our four kittens safe.

I installed a magnetic cat flap (4-way-in-and-out, producer: Staywell; ordered online from Bangkok, B2890) in our kitchen door.

So they can come and go as they wish. Your cats will love the flap.

In addition we planted two bigger trees in the garden where they could jump up if they could not reach the flap in time.

The biggest advantage (for me) is that if we go on holidays they still can keep the same routine; the security guard only need to refill the food trays.

But you shouldn't worry too much if your cats loose a fight and get hurt. Cat fight is a normal behaviour. Your cats will learn to stay away from the attackers.

There is one disadvantage with the cat flap:

our smallest one loves the big (6.5kg) attacker and she watches from inside the house (through the transparent flap) the big attacker which stays outside and she stays so close to the flap that her magnetic collar opens the flap and the attacker comes in.

In the meanwhile the big attacker made our home his home (he sleeps under the car and also get the food from us) and he fights off the other three attackers without our ones getting involved.

Good luck!

Sorry, I forgot, there are two disadvantages with the cat flap, please see attached photo

(before I had a different meaning of "bird" home delivery!)

post-41537-0-20283800-1411702889_thumb.j

• Like 1

I've seen rice farmers using a single wire electric fence to fend off rats from their rice paddy. Some plots are 10-15 rai and they put a single electrified wire about 4-5 cm above the ground all the way around. It doesn't fry the rats and I'm sure they wouldn't go to the trouble if it was not an effective measure to reduce rat damage to their crops. There is a cheap DIY home-brew electric fence technology available in Thailand.

OP, in your case I'd want to be sure if you built a fence it would actually keep the neighbor's two cats out of your yard.

Perhaps try discussing the matter with you neighbor, as you have something in common. You are both cat lovers. Perhaps one of the other TV members could advise if neutering would reduce the aggressiveness of the neighbors cats?

Good luck.

I will be talking with the neighbors before I do anything but I cannot expect them to neuter their cats because I want them to nor to keep them inside. So I'm 99.99% positive I will have to do what I can on my side of the deal. Howardprice, that's kind of the idea, I believe, that I had with the chicken wire. If I'm understanding correctly, the wire on the top is swaying and flexing with the cat's weight and so they are afraid to climb it? Do you have a pic by chance? I had a tough time with the dimensions of your steel items and bolts. Are those millimeters? Seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small!

I think the botanical solution is too difficult and too slow to implement. Thanks all for the input and output... I'll report back on what transpires after I speak with them. I'm a slow mover so be patient. Thanks guys for the concrete info on where to buy the zappers should it come to that....

Cheers