Thai PM Bemoans Divisive Soap Operas, Offers to Write Better Ones

Lite Beer

You confuse easily, don't you ?

I'm only suggesting that Thai soaps are awful and that I have no doubts that in the free Western World we would have various (different) protest groups agitating against such stereotype like depiction.

There's awful television in my own country, and I assume in all countries. However only countries with totalitarian regimes insist on writing the scripts, and then the television is even worse. So, once again, do you think it's a good idea for Prayuth to write the soaps?

There's a difference between 'awful" and 'full of prejudice and stereotypes".

In the Western World we accept the "awful" but would protest against the 'prejudice and stereotypes'. It would seem that nowadays even the 1927 musical "Showboat"" cannot be broadcasted without the need for talkgroups explaining how to see it in the light of 'those times' and how much we have evolved since.

Funny, I didn't see anything in the OP about prejudice and stereotypes, just objections to 'violence and division in society'.

You are again dodging the question, and trying to go off-topic. Do you think it's a good idea for Prayuth to write the soaps? That's what the topic is about.

I (as in me aka rubl, aka uncle rubl) wrote

"I'm only suggesting that Thai soaps are awful and that I have no doubts that in the free Western World we would have various (different) protest groups agitating against such stereotype like depiction. "

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's awful television in my own country, and I assume in all countries. However only countries with totalitarian regimes insist on writing the scripts, and then the television is even worse. So, once again, do you think it's a good idea for Prayuth to write the soaps?

There's a difference between 'awful" and 'full of prejudice and stereotypes".

In the Western World we accept the "awful" but would protest against the 'prejudice and stereotypes'. It would seem that nowadays even the 1927 musical "Showboat"" cannot be broadcasted without the need for talkgroups explaining how to see it in the light of 'those times' and how much we have evolved since.

Funny, I didn't see anything in the OP about prejudice and stereotypes, just objections to 'violence and division in society'.

You are again dodging the question, and trying to go off-topic. Do you think it's a good idea for Prayuth to write the soaps? That's what the topic is about.

I (as in me aka rubl, aka uncle rubl) wrote

"I'm only suggesting that Thai soaps are awful and that I have no doubts that in the free Western World we would have various (different) protest groups agitating against such stereotype like depiction. "

In the western world you don't have PM's, Presidents, or other leaders threatening to take over the script writing. That's what is going on in Thailand. That's what this topic is about. Do you have an opinion on that?

Great Idea PM, you got my full support for this idea. Please make the plots so bad that my girlfriend losses interests in the soaps so I can watch my programs during the weekends.

Perhaps, like in our house, you should have 2 TVs, I watch football and motor racing while my wife watches likkae and lahkon. Result a podium for us both.

I bought a new computer instead with a wide screen and watch decent stuff from abroad instead that I download or stream. The Thai TV must be one of the worst in the world, I though Indian and Nepali TV were bad until I arrived here. I have no expectations that it will improve with military censure and with old generals writing the plots.

Thai soap opera need to change as very to society , women slapping and pulling hairs, men are half naked to kiss and rape using some force.

It has very bad influence on society specially on children.

I praise PM for remark and the reason for such soap opera is to get high rating from viewer without concern about mindset for younger generation, I can see on facebbok young ladies are slapping and kicking learning from such bad soap opera as idiol .

• Like 1

Don't forget the obligatory ladyboy, the servant not quite good enough for the son as she is poor Issan, the victims of being run over at 5 miles an hour outside their house and the mai nois by the dozen

Just think back a few years to when some idiot politician actually called for a big effort to sell Thai soaps to other aAian nations so they could get an idea of Thai life.

Talk about shooting yourself in both feet !

Maybe the idea will be revived next year for the ' Thainess Tourism ' promotion.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Offers to Write Better Ones."

Of course he and so many others can write better ones. However, the goal isn't quality. It is increasing viewer ratings, and internationally, no matter which country, shallowness sells. Who is going to sponsor a soap opera no one is watching?

Who's going to sponsor General Prayuth's soaps? I would guess Prayuth's government (under the PM's Ministry of of Social Development and Human Security?) will pay for the new soaps if no sponsors can be found. Or with its absolute power the NCPO can simply order the Thai broadcasters to run the new soaps or lose their license.

Don't forget the obligatory ladyboy, the servant not quite good enough for the son as she is poor Issan, the victims of being run over at 5 miles an hour outside their house and the mai nois by the dozen

Just think back a few years to when some idiot politician actually called for a big effort to sell Thai soaps to other aAian nations so they could get an idea of Thai life.

Please, please tell me you made that up?

• Like 1

"The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection." - George Orwell

"As we detach from our ideals of perfection and develop our acceptance of imperfection, our love and compassion can grow in ways that are both psychologically and spiritually healthy." - Rob Preece, The Wisdom of Imperfection

Sorry, would love to but it's true.

Can't remember details but maybe another smarter member can refresh.

Sorry, would love to but it's true.

Can't remember details but maybe another smarter member can refresh.

There's just no hope left, is there?...

• Like 1

Its the body language replacing any logical conversation the General doesn't like.

He has enough of these clowns ducking militairy drafts in public and has enough of the tarnished image these soaps have caused on his population,(not followers!)

It's wrong to think that all lakorns are the same- hi so nonsense with stupid sound effects. Probably the most famous and popular ever was Monrak Luktung from the 1970 fim, this has been adapted to lakorn at least three times. last in 2008 I think. Largely depicting Issan life but with a khon Issan know your place message it never the less depicted the lives of khon issan along with luktung. If only a tv channel would commission a lakorn around a working class Thai soi with a karaoke bar, some tam sellers, taxi drivers, whores and corrupt cops it would be a stellar hit, they just do not have the bottle to do it.

The 'soap' script writers are missing a wonderful opportunity to compose their scripts around some of the great VIRTUES evident in Thai culture. They are obsessed with status, money, infidelity, violence and looks.

I'm not saying eliminate all aspects that reflect life but some self-discipline and sense of purpose from the scriptwriters would positively benefit vast numbers of their viewers, particularly the impressionable young generation who are dumping their culture, replacing it with spiky hair, KFC, BMWs, gratuitous violence and a 'getting something for nothing' mentality.

Of course have fun, but exercising responsibility and self-discipline is the only way to become civilized. I believe General Prayuth is demonstrating he intends to promote this.

It is not too late..................yet.

The real comedy here is the idiot, holier than thou farangs that completely missed the General's point. He is in a position of authority and if you know his style and attitude he gave an order to the writers to clean up their plots. He is quoted as saying, "If you writers cannot do your job, give it to me, I will write them myself."

In this sense it is not a serious declamation that he is going to go into plot writing but merely an elbow in the side jab to the writers to get them to do their job properly with some modicum of societal values taken into consideration. For those of us that had to endure the debacle of royalty bashing with Princess Di in UK and the painful results of other "free-press" trash journalism, I for one am happy that a benevolent dictator is taking on this issue.

One cannot underestimate the power of mass media to influence masses. It cannot hurt to have more positive shows broadcast to improve Thai society and to those that say "ratings, profits..." well welcome to the good side of a benevolent dictatorship.

• Like 1

He has a point!

My wife watches this drivel and I have asked her if she would like me to treat her like the men in these so called dramas?

Of course she replies, No, but it's only a movie!!!

Unfortunately this sort of behaviour is not unusual so not only in Soaps.