when are you to old to take up thai boxing

opalred

when i was younger i did a lot of boxing now older 70ish and retired i have free time and wanted to learn thai boxing

my wife said NO as a hit or kick to head could do damage is the wife right or wrong?

or she donnt know i am wiser now and have a few tricks up my sleave to retun what they throw at me

Even training might be too much if you are not used to serious workouts but you could try. But in no way should you ever hit the ring. One hit and you could die. Even younger fighters die in the ring so why would you want to make your wife a widow for a hobby. There was a foreigner in CM 10 years ago who did some local matches when he was in his 60's but he was quite fit and trained for a long time. 70's is pushing it I think.

If you had been a competitive athlete all the way up to now, I think that you might handle it better but to go for 0-100 is pretty hard for older body systems to handle.

Also you are old enough to know that your wife is always right if you want to remain happy.

How many punches to the head you get when younger? Hey I'm a 7th degree black belt and 62 even I know I'm not as fast as I use to be, would I risk the chance some young buck lands a lucky shot?" HELL NO", listen to wife try THI CHI you'll thank me later. cheesy.gif You have nothing to prove.

• Like 1

I have 40 years experience in martial arts, if you are talking any sort of competitive fighting over the age of 28 you missed the boat. As mentioned above, if you can't already tell your physical limitations, then step into a sparring session with an 18yo see how you come up. Sure punch a bag, do some moves, keep in shape, but don't expect that you will not get hurt. Listen to your wife!

Oz

• Like 1

hahahaha - your wife is right. Do not endanger your health but;

A punching bag. A skipping rope. Some weights. Shadow boxing. A 5 km run . ( Be very careful) Can improve your health. Restrict your real boxing to boxing matches on TV.

I do some fairly heavy workouts for 70 minutes a few times/week. My goal is to exercise 90 minutes every day. I am 65.

More comedy. This is great keeping this for more comedy jokes to pass on. Yeah right. Who needs a thread from an OP in his 70's who is loopy enough to think he can relive the good old days of blood sport. First hit to the jaw or heart. Aaaaah DEAD!

• Like 1

the worst thing i think about when older could happen was when in boxing scene years ago i saw two old pugs

slugging it out in the ring one got a good punch to the belly off the other

and a turd dropped out of his shorts to the canvas the ref kicked it from the canvas into the crowd

and said carry on boxing boys

I believe that as long as you passed a physical by a doctor with a EKG you should be able to do it. As far as fighting is concerned

you would have to take your time and build up your stamina real slowly. Thai Boxing is a great way to get into shape. Talk to your

instructor and doctor about your goals, then take it from there.

Good luck

• Like 1