Transport Ministry urges Thai taxi drivers to upgrade service ahead of fare hike review

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The taxidrivers should learn english and learn how to drive safe.

Been here long have we? Most people who come here realize Thailand isn't a former British colony where a good number of the population speak English.

If you plan on sticking around this country a while, my suggestion is go and buy a small phrase book and learn a few useful phrases. Result satisfaction all around. Chok dee.

"Thailand isn't a former British colony."

And behind every cloud is a silver lining. The British Empire has been the incubator for many a democratic nation. It would be seen as a failure with Thailand if it had been a colony.

Agree 100%. Many times i have travelled in taxis in bnkk and thought they were too cheap so i usually give them tip, that is if they agree to take me, many shake their heads and say no when i open their door and tell them where i want to go..and in my experience i find many bnkk taxi drivers dont have a clue where they are going

First 'urge' them to use their meter and take you where you want to go without cherry-picking their fares. Public Service should be just that. Nana Soi 4 is a case in point.

Sukhumvit 11 is another. A friend owns a pub there and as much as I like to visit her place more often, I hate to go down that blasted soi knowing I can't get a taxi out of that area unless I walked and hailed one running along the main Sukhumvit road.

The taxidrivers should learn english and learn how to drive safe.

Been here long have we? Most people who come here realize Thailand isn't a former British colony where a good number of the population speak English.

If you plan on sticking around this country a while, my suggestion is go and buy a small phrase book and learn a few useful phrases. Result satisfaction all around. Chok dee.

Yup been here 10 years.

So your advice to me is to learn thai because the taxi-drivers in BKK can't speak english.

Well let's tell that to all tourists planning a holiday to the kingdom, to start with Russia.

Also the taxidrivers like to fool customers by painting their cab into a new color. Or they have a "i like farang" thing on their car but still can't speak a word english.

I haven't seen the new Toyota Altis cabs yet but sure i will take those. And for a new car i am prepared to pay more, not for all the old crap taxi's we have now.