Tourists may be required to pay entrance fee for visiting Koh Tao

Lite Beer

They are not going to call it an entrance fee - it is "protection money"

Entrance fee might work if planned properly....

News from last few days:

- Wristbands on foreigners.

- Looking for big Project for Koh Tao

- Entrance fee.....

- Murders

They are hinting at a full scale "Kill the Farang" Theme Park Island me think.

Double price entrance fee for foreigners obviously, park them, tag them, hunt them..... w00t.gif

TAT campaign: come dive a little before experiencing the real hunt, meet the friendly locals, free harpoon provided..

The hunger games are so yesterday....

• Like 1

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please have a word with these people, honestly,,,

Investing the money themselves will bring in more tourists as the safety of the island will be improved, therefore it will pay for itself. It makes absolutely no sense at all to ask the tourists themselves to pay for their own protection when this is something that the island should be doing anyway.

Unless of course it's just another Thai scam aimed at parting tourists with there hard earned cash.

In every country you pay big taxes but in thailand you don't.

Tourists benefit by not pay to much expense for good and services on the island and in thailand.

So if tourists want more protection they should pay.

Its simple.

Thais don't need the protection.

Say that to the family of the 13 year Thai old who was raped and murdered on a train not long ago, or the woman with her hands bound behind her back, found on Surin beach in phuket.

Are you really this stupid?

Or are you trying to troll this thread?

I can't figure you out because no one with a bit of education can't be this stupid.

• Like 1

I think this is a good idea.

Not every country can afford the security and luxury of other places.

Tourist come to Koh Tao becuase its cheap.

If foreigners want more security they should pay for something rather then complain something is not good all the time.

Koh Tao cheap?

Have you been there?

Not every country can afford...., I'm sorry, I have to be blunt and a bit rude, did you turn on your brain before commenting?

With Thailands GDP 10% revenue from tourism, don't you think some of it should cover safety and protection whilst them visiting tourist areas?

If Thai wants more security, they stay home and don't even talk to their neighbours.

The complaints started with two young getting murdered and raped, should they have payed not to get murdered?

The height of stupidity amongst Thais are increasing by the hour it seems.

Yes I have been there its a beautiful place to go.

Its cheap in relation to other western countries.

I have studied abroad and I pay more for everything in western countries in comparison to Thailand. So in paying more I also pay more for services. Including public safety. But even in a lot of your home countries very bad murders and rapes happen all the time.

I am Thai and to be honest I don't care for the type of tourist that comes to Thailand. Sorry but I am being blunt and rude also. The 10% you say in GDP we can do without more then the tourists can do without Thailand.

If anyone thinks these stupid and completely idiotic solutions, paired with corruption and greed, won't have any effect on down spiraling tourism for Thailand, think again and look back in time and remember what happened to Spain, Greece and Portugal.

They all went up like a plane and crashed because of the pilots and crews were too greedy.

The lack of safety, the increasing cost and not letting tourists have a pleasurable time while visiting those countries cost them everything in the end.

And so will be the result for Thailand, mark my words, even if might take a bit longer time, there's no escape for hostile hosts.

Bend over and take it with a smile, I'm not raping you or stealing your cash, I only want to be your friend. "Famous Thai saying" wai2.gif

It's the bar girls that save Thailand,time and time again.

So very true, damn those BG's

They are not going to call it an entrance fee - it is "protection money"

Entrance fee might work if planned properly....

News from last few days:

- Wristbands on foreigners.

- Looking for big Project for Koh Tao

- Entrance fee.....

- Murders

They are hinting at a full scale "Kill the Farang" Theme Park Island me think.

Double price entrance fee for foreigners obviously, park them, tag them, hunt them..... w00t.gif

TAT campaign: come dive a little before experiencing the real hunt, meet the friendly locals, free harpoon provided..

The hunger games are so yesterday....

women pay more because they get to be raped as well, little bonus point.

If foreigners want more security they should pay for something rather then complain something is not good all the time.

Koh Tao cheap?

Have you been there?

Not every country can afford...., I'm sorry, I have to be blunt and a bit rude, did you turn on your brain before commenting?

With Thailands GDP 10% revenue from tourism, don't you think some of it should cover safety and protection whilst them visiting tourist areas?

If Thai wants more security, they stay home and don't even talk to their neighbours.

The complaints started with two young getting murdered and raped, should they have payed not to get murdered?

I have studied abroad and I pay more for everything in western countries in comparison to Thailand. So in paying more I also pay more for services. Including public safety. But even in a lot of your home countries very bad murders and rapes happen all the time.

I am Thai and to be honest I don't care for the type of tourist that comes to Thailand. Sorry but I am being blunt and rude also. The 10% you say in GDP we can do without more then the tourists can do without Thailand.

"The 10% you say in GDP we can do without more then the tourists can do without Thailand. " cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Tell that to Gen. Prayuth cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Well we have Vietnam and on the other side, south america, Caribia and Polynesia. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Koh Tao cheap?

Have you been there?

You say Thailand can live without the money tourism brings in? Well, with the current powers that might become a reality. It seems they are doing their best to drive away tourists and foreigners in general. Then Thai people can rip each other off! Edited by aspenninja
  • Like 1

Koh Tao cheap?

Have you been there?

You have studied abroad but you haven't learnt anything have you

That island will never see as much as 1 satang from me!

They are a bunch of 'chok wow' it's they who shoud be making the island safe for tourists, not the other way around.

They have never heard that it is "Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"

These people are cretins.

Koh Tao cheap?

Have you been there?

"The 10% you say in GDP we can do without more then the tourists can do without Thailand. " cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Tell that to Gen. Prayuth cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Well we have Vietnam and on the other side, south america, Caribia and Polynesia. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Go to one of them then. Why are you on a Website about thailand?

goto polynesiavisa.com and complain about polynesia.

Wiser might be to offer one free day of stay on the island to all tourists, after all that has happened. Ever heard of PR ?

You haven't been here very long have you ? They will just put up the prices to cover the shortfall, nothing is free here, not even the smile.

For immediate release.

With immediate effect, Passengers disembarking at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Bangkok will be required to pay 100 THB for air conditioning services. At the immigration desks, visitors will be billed 2 THB for the ink used by the immigration officer to stamp their passports. A "welcome to Thailand" message from said officer, accompanied by a smile will be an additional 5 THB. Alternatively, visitors may opt to read for free the similarly worded (with a smiley face) banner hung behind the immigration desks.

Moving walkways, escalators and elevators will be coin operated. For visitors' convenience, notes can be exchanged into coins at the rate of 95 THB for every 100 THB. Good news: the escalator up to the notes exchange counter is free!*

Welcome to Amazing Thailand® !

-Royal Thai Government.

*The escalator back down is not.

T

• Like 1

Koh Tao cheap?

Have you been there?

You say Thailand can live without the money tourism brings in? Well, with the current powers that might become a reality. It seems they are doing their best to drive away tourists and foreigners in general. Then Thai people can rip each other off!

I am happy he is.

Thailand will be better off in the future.

Thai people can then help each other and stop worrying about helping non-thais.

That island will never see as much as 1 satang from me!

Have to make-up for lost revenue I guess...the murders shouldn't of occurred and the removal of the island-mafia should of took place long before..quite simply money is god. Too bad...humanity's epitaph.."money made me do it"..pathetic.

What a ridiculous idea! They are simply adding an insult to injury. However, foolish farangs will probably go long with it and make already rich village headman and his whole family even richer.

I was thinking something similar. How much will go to providing security and how much will be skimmed off by the influential families?

Might just be a special fee to ensure than the above and their police friends do not kill you.

Pay, take your wristband and we will try not to kill you.....

"MAKE SURE you wear it!!!!"

More money for the corrupt local mafia.

I dunno man. They could charge a bazillion US for all the difference it makes to me. What is so essential on Koh Tao that you cant get anywhere else? Diving? Arent there thousands of pokey islands a speed boat away? Is this the great barrier reef or something? It seems to be just some kind of moderately nice diving spot? Arent there plenty of them all over south east asia?

Im certainly never stepping foot on koh tao. Im also not stepping foot on Koh samui either since as far as im concerned, the money from koh samui tourism is propping up the place.

But heres the thing: Not one piece of news in a year has suggested that thailand is up for accommodating western tourism. I have a strong feeling that this isnt incompetence and general wholescale self-defeatist buffoonery. Im starting to feel it might be deliberate. Despite being a massive troll, gangthai or whetever the sock puppet is called, is hitting on the truth of this matter by accident: Thailand cannot afford to accommodate western tourism. It has inflated prices that belie its poor investment in its tourist industry. The two are not working together.

Prices are sky rocketing, but the infrastructure and amenities are not to a western standard. We expect more value for our money now and are instead given the same shitty service, protection and lifestyle as before. So we're not coming in the same numbers as before. Thailand cannot crack down on corruption on a means that would satisfy the ever demanding Westerner. (I would even dare say they wont since, (like the yakuza), its the cheapest way to keep crime organised and on a manageable scale in a corrupt society). We want all the luxury and standards of our culture and all the folksy prices and mischief of south east asia. But the tourist industry has been left to stagnate for decades and resentment has built. You can find it in the high street in places like Silom. You ask a thai person why they are charging such a ludicrous amount to farang and you get the simple answer: we expect to be haggled down.

It conveys the idea that rich westerners with money to throw around are cheap as shit and trying to exploit the Thai people. And tourists think that the market traders and the Thai people see only walking cash dispensers ready to be tricked and cajoled out of their hard won dollars. Its a culture of absolute mistrust thats been allowed to foster and grow unchecked. The inevitable consequence is xenephobia and resentment.

Thailand is waking up to the reality it cannot afford western tourism.

The clear reality is that they DONT want people like me. Sure, they want the very wealthy. But they dont want your average western tourist here for a few weeks in the sun. We're a pain in the ass. We need to be looked after. We post reports on tripadvisor, we make youtube videos about the dirt on our paradise beach. We use social media, and tell our friends why Thailand is ruined. We're savvy to the tricks, we know the prices, we know (some of) the scams. We stay informed. We look for value. We look to complain.

And so i think theyre shutting their doors. Or maybe less pessimistically, theyre looking to try something different. The old model is done. Asean, chinese and indian expendable income, mass tourism, easy visa, and massive group bookings and tours are in, and we are out (for the moment).

Then again, i dont live here. Maybe it is just much smaller. Maybe its just a massive joke on an insignificant non-descript island of which there are plenty all over south east asia (and with the extra notoriety of clearly being lathered in corruption). Charge whatever the hell you like, people. I'll never go anywhere near that cesspit so long as i breath. But perhaps im no longer welcome anyway?

Edited by inutil

Koh Tao cheap?

Have you been there?

I don't think you are a real Thai, I think you are a Chinese immigrants offspring, a spoiled brat, a HiSo wannabee who got everything from his dad. A real Thai would not write shit like you do on a public forum. A real Thai would be ashamed of your comments today.

• Like 2

helping non Thaischeesy.gifcheesy.gif

Did your studies abroad tell you what happens when a country loses 10% of GDP

Its economy contracts. Which will not be a problem if we also don't have to pay for all the non-thai fake tourists using up public resources.

Look at the German man with the swollen leg. Just 1 example.

Like Thai people applying for Visa to Europe, Thailand should force tourist to purchase Insurance when visiting Thailand.

So if the tourist is hurt, sick, murder, etc; whatever, they can claim from their insurer, NOT burden the poor Thai tax payers.

What don't you understand, if the country has had its Government overthrone in a coup or is under martial law which thailand still is most insurance companies will refuse to cover you if you go to that country. Same as going to a war zone, your not covered.

Koh Tao cheap?

Have you been there?

I don't think you are a real Thai, I think you are a Chinese immigrants offspring, a spoiled brat, a HiSo wannabee who got everything from his dad. A real Thai would not write shit like you do on a public forum. A real Thai would be ashamed of your comments today.

So I am not a real Thai I am a wanna be Thai?? why? because I have Chinese in my families history which I am very proud of.

What you are saying doesnt make sense. You are personally attacking me and complaining about Thailand. You are a very negative person.