Koh Tao murders: Myanmar worker confesses killing British tourists

webfact

Scapegoat or not...remains to be seen. Thai Police can't be trusted in most of the cases, agreed. But so much hatred and bitterness towards Thai people in general in this topic.....unbelievable. It really makes me wonder what are you still doing in this country.

There's a difference between hating police and hating Thai people. My thai girlfriend is laughing at this Burmese 'arrest' alongside me.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most western countries would likely not want to be involved in a forensic investigation because there was so much contamination of the crime scene. Independent laboratories might be willing to test samples, but there were many people walking around, probably touching and smoking in the area.

The condom was probably not used by a person. Had a person put it on, there would be DNA, possibly skin cells and likely seminal fluid, even if in very small amounts.

In the media report it states DNT test is this something new or just the usual fishwrap not having a qualified reporter or editor?

If it were my family, I would be most concerned that the original DNA taken from the victims has also been forwarder to so outside , independent facility. Otherwise what is to prevent the powers that be, in their need to make an arrest, from getting the new perp, extracting a DNA sample from him and substitute it in place of the original DNA sample , then taking another from the perp from which to draw a match.

I do hope some outside neutral, independent party will be able to keep tabs on this...... as the police have all the pressure of the world on them to provide a successful end to this investigative farce.

Yes, well said Gonzo.

I alluded to similar scenarios in previous posts.

My underlying driver remains the island influential families. They know what is going one - in the sense that there are so many on their payroll or protection to inform that there would be a massive amount of info coming their way. Why they don't coordinate with the police is another interesting dynamic. Could be they are.. but with only certain ones. Could be that they are trying but police are refusing. Could be that the patsy Myanmar migrant worker is the convenient scapegoat, as many have said.

I wonder if this Myanmar national has a criminal past here or in home country. I think something like this would reveal a real hardened criminal.. a real bad guy. So, if not convictions are there any accusations or indictments in past?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai Police find a suspect who confesses and you still don't believe it.

I know a thai person could not do these crimes.

Haha, yeah right and thai police don't bash confessions out of innocent people either. w00t.gifblink.pngwhistling.gif

I am convinced you are a moron You state a Thai person could not do these crimes Why Thais cannot murder someone. I think your opinion about Thais is less then realistic.

What about the State Rail worker who raped and then murdered that girl in the train a few months back Did you conveniently forget he was Thai

They just found him guilty and sentenced him to Death .

You know a Thai could not have done this. You are one reason that there are problems in Thailand You think that your bathroom job does not stink

Time to grow up and smell the coffee

Yep,

and while gangthai is considering that, he can check out this horrific treatment of a twelve old girl by a Thai couple.

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thai-court-awards-tortured-12-year-old-burmese-girl-143k-in-compensation.html

I have seen a few nasty things, but the scars they inflicted over four years made me feel very nauseous.

BOYCOTT KOH TAO!

Seriously, they need a wake up call on these islands. Dont go there, and implore everyone you know not to go there either.

Let them feel this where it really hurts, the pocket!

--

I dont believe its a burmese for a second. Its a local who thinks he is above the law.

Why was half the island afraid to talk if it was a poor immigrant from Myanmar. Utter horsedroppings.

Confirmed DNA tests please UK.

First, I think these myanmar workers are scapegoats / patsies ...

BUT to play devils advocate I will answer your question:

Many locals are jealous of the head man and his family. so they start rumors and rumors spreads..

Most locals believe rumors (as do I btw ... ) and are afraid to talk about what they saw,, because they are afraid ..

Question is .. is it only rumors that this is mafia-related etc.. or was it actually mafia-related.. judging by all the events.. it seems like mafia-related.. and the head man is probably covering for his son(s) / friends. .

Thailand is the only country in SE Asia never to be colonised by Europeans.

Do you really think the Thai authorities care what the hell we think of their judgement? Thais love Thais.

The French annexed large amounts of land along the Mekong and the British colonised the south of Thailand with Malay.

It was colonised by the Japanese, the Chinese/Thais effectively run the place now.

But yes like you say no one could come in and tell the Thais what to do.

Scapegoat or not...remains to be seen. Thai Police can't be trusted in most of the cases, agreed. But so much hatred and bitterness towards Thai people in general in this topic.....unbelievable. It really makes me wonder what are you still doing in this country.

There's a difference between hating police and hating Thai people. My thai girlfriend is laughing at this Burmese 'arrest' alongside me.

...and my Thai wife said 10 days ago that the only reason it was taking so long was because they were trying to find a fall-guy (her words) to protect the 'powerful ' people on the Island.....now she's saying "Told you so...!!!"

I don't believe the confession.

I don't believe the Brit guy and girl were having sex, or even together.

She was dragged off and attacked, he ran to help, now that story makes sense.

I believe it was a Thai related to the head man who is guilty, else why would they covered up for so long.

Allow me to expand on this. Many are probably skeptical. Why would an uneducated, poor Myanmar worker confess to this heinous murder when the result will be almost certain death? Let me suggest the following. Certain assurances are made by the Village Head Masters family and in cooperation with the police significant (For a Myanmar family) amounts of money are given to the family of the accused Myanmar worker. Promises are made to him that if he confesses his mother and father and sisters and brothers, his whole family will never want for anything. He is told that if he sacrifices himself he will be the savior of his family and they can surely rise above their poverty and position forever. What greater gift can a wayward son give his family? He's deprived of sleep, He's frightened. He's certainly guilty, in his own mind, of being a worthless sod. Finally, he has the opportunity do make "Merit", to do good and so he gladly confesses and is provided all the lurid details of the crime by the police and coached on the reenactment. He will go to his maker certain he did the right thing. That's just my take on things. An enterprising reporter or investigative writer with skill far greater than mine might want to follow up and pay a visit to the village in Myanmar where the poor son of a bitch grew up and see how his family is getting on with their new found wealth.

They said they found a condom with Hannah's DNA on the outside but nothing on the inside, so it was most likely what David was wearing when they were having sex.

Itd be impossible to use a condom and for it to leave no DNA, itd be riddled.

If he didn't ejaculate, then maybe if the condom had spermicide in it, it could of dissolved any DNA.

Amazing isn't it. Many people subconsciously dislike Thais and hoped that it would be a Thai who was the killer.

Now someone has confessed they don't want to believe it. Two of 'their own' were killed and they wanted desperately to say, "told you it was a Thai".

I always thought it would be a Burmese.

How likely is it that a 21yo kid attacks a COUPLE on the beach .. aren't most rapes against LONE women.. ? And why was there no DNA of the killed male inside the killed female if they were having sex? or inside the condom if they were using a condom?

This latest farang assault, rape, and murder needs a university study. What is it the draws Kampuchean and Burmese illegals to Siam in search of western prey? In almost every case of violence against western tourists, it's always the Burmese or Cambodians behind it. Golly, since the Thais are obviously pure as the driven snow, why not close the borders with Myanmar and Kampucha right now. Problem solved.

So much cynicism here. There are loads of unsolved murder cases in all of your home countries and I don't see any threads complaining about the UK "Keystone cops".

Natalie Holloway (sp?) the US student who was murdered many years ago and the police there and in the Netherlands don't have a clue.

The police in Koh Tao are investigating a crime, they went down the wrong path a couple times but they kept investigating and now they have someone in custody who confessed.

What kind of deal are they going to make to an innocent person who confesses to rape and multiple murder who will be executed if found guilty. How could they coerce someone to confess, what could they threat to do that's worse than a firing squad ? Unless the accused is a serial confessor to crimes he didn't commit, I'd tend to believe his confession.

Wait for the "DNT" (sic) tests and other forensic work to cone in before you posit your own complicated conspiracy theories, unless you don't mind being told "I told you so" by the other people here.

I believe it was a Thai related to the head man who is guilty, else why would they covered up for so long.

Allow me to expand on this. Many are probably skeptical. Why would an uneducated, poor Myanmar worker confess to this heinous murder when the result will be almost certain death? Let me suggest the following. Certain assurances are made by the Village Head Masters family and in cooperation with the police significant (For a Myanmar family) amounts of money are given to the family of the accused Myanmar worker. Promises are made to him that if he confesses his mother and father and sisters and brothers, his whole family will never want for anything. He is told that if he sacrifices himself he will be the savior of his family and they can surely rise above their poverty and position forever. What greater gift can a wayward son give his family? He's deprived of sleep, He's frightened. He's certainly guilty, in his own mind, of being a worthless sod. Finally, he has the opportunity do make "Merit", to do good and so he gladly confesses and is provided all the lurid details of the crime by the police and coached on the reenactment. He will go to his maker certain he did the right thing. That's just my take on things. An enterprising reporter or investigative writer with skill far greater than mine might want to follow up and pay a visit to the village in Myanmar where the poor son of a bitch grew up and see how his family is getting on with their new found wealth.

Add to that threats of violence and jail and deportation and even possibly death? and it's not hard to imagine at all..

When i say jail, i mean that they could throw him in a cell and just forget about him... if he doesn't confess ofcourse..

The only way this ''confession'' will be accepted is if the DNA evidence is confirmed by an outside third party agency.

No 'if's' allowed on this one, the dna will be conclusive, it'll be done by a thai lab clap2.gif

Erm , have you thought that he might have actually done it and the police have the evidence. He knows a confession will mean he won't get the death sentence but not confessing would mean death.

They said they found a condom with Hannah's DNA on the outside but nothing on the inside, so it was most likely what David was wearing when they were having sex.

Itd be impossible to use a condom and for it to leave no DNA, itd be riddled.

If he didn't ejaculate, then maybe if the condom had spermicide in it, it could of dissolved any DNA.

Seriously are you really that stupid?

Archived