Yellow House book

I didn't need what some of these threads said - a translation of my British passport. All I needed was a residence certificate from immigration, marriage cert, kids' birth certificates, letter from my work, my wife's parents.

Well possible.

If you have a Thai marriage certificate. than your name and nationality are already translated to Thai script.

Besides that they need the name, birthday and nationality of your parents in Thai script.

All these data is part of the yellow house book entries.

So if someone "starts from scratch" he will need his name translated from the passport and the data for the parents.

In my case they entered "undefined" for the nationality of my parents, as I had no documents stating that.

So they were quite flexible in this case.

I have described the entries in the y.hb. in this post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681733-yellow-book-the-chicken-or-the-egg/#entry7044394

Unless you are a permanent resident I have yet to find one good use for the Yellow Book, especially since Pattaya Land Transport Department will no longer accept it as proof of residence for renewing your 5 year license or for the registering a new car. They still require you to get a Residency Certificate from Jomtien Immigration so what is the point when a utility bill will suffice in most instances to prove where you live

• Like 1

Yea, a Yellow Book seems to make a lot of Thai govt agencies and companies like banks more comfortable in dealing with you...seems to clear the road in many cases. Heck, they are practically free...I got mine within the first few weeks of arriving Thailand and cost less way less than Bt100...might have been Bt20 like mentioned above. However, but, a Yellow Book is easy to get at some district offices but harder than heck-to-impossible at others based on posts I've read. Kinda like how opening a bank account can range from easy to impossible depending on which bank branch you visit. For me here in Bangkok it was easy to get a Yellow Book at my khet/district office.

waste of time (considerable) and money, letter of residence just as useful.

The THB 20 and 45 minutes it took to get, I have saved a considerably amount of time and money not having to obtain residency letters each time opening bank accounts, buying cars etc.

• Like 1

waste of time (considerable) and money, letter of residence just as useful.

I got a residency letter once, used it to get a yellow book (took about 30 mins at my local Amphur), I have then used the book for two driving licence renewals and opening two bank accounts.

• Like 1

I was told by my Amphur needed letter of residency from Embassy, just over 3k, translations of passport, few hundred baht that needed to be certified, more cash there then photocopies of marriage certs and wifes's ID as well as blue book. Just not worth the running around as well as the expense.

Funny this poped .up today.

Done kids ID card yesterday.

Had all paperwork.

However the passport has 9 digits and ID card has 13.

I said just add a few zeros.

It doesn't work .because when you enter the 13 digits.

The address of that holder appears in screen.

And that person must be the one to sign.

Lady told me you should get a yellow book. With your own unique 13 digit ID number.

She did say if you've got kids here you should get residency easy.

Obviously not well informed

I was told by my Amphur needed letter of residency from Embassy, just over 3k, translations of passport, few hundred baht that needed to be certified, more cash there then photocopies of marriage certs and wifes's ID as well as blue book. Just not worth the running around as well as the expense.

That is why I said in my earlier post " at my local Amphur "

Mine needed letter from Immigration (500 THB) copy of ID and Blue Book of the house owner. Nothing else.

When I asked how much for the Yellow Book, they told me it was free, so I bought lunch for the the two girls that helped me.

Regarding the few posts above regarding the "number" issued to a Yellow Book, don't confuse the number of book on the very top of the pages with the "ID number issued" to the Yellow Book holder as that ID number appears on page 2 about halfway down the page. It will be a 13 digit number just like Thai's have 13 digit ID Card numbers.

The 13 digit number assigned to you (as a farang/non-Thai citizen) in the Yellow Book should start with a 6. Mine does and is in sync with the numbering system described in this post.

• Like 1

Looks like Donsak Amphur is gonna be a no go. 1 lady there deals with everything. Problem is she does not know about Yellow books for farang:)

Looks like gonna be a headache cause no way I'm going to the embassy for more translations.

Is it possible to do it at another Amphur :)

Looks like Donsak Amphur is gonna be a no go. 1 lady there deals with everything. Problem is she does not know about Yellow books for farang:)

Looks like gonna be a headache cause no way I'm going to the embassy for more translations.

Is it possible to do it at another Amphur smile.png

I'm pretty sure it has to be done in your Amphur of residence.

Damn it...

This an example of one of the many frustrations here in Thailand. Why can't things be uniform. Why do some Immigration offices have different rules than other Immigration offices. Why do Land Transport Offices have different rules than others, although in most cases they are pretty uniform. Same with overseas Embassies and Consulates, some are easy to obtain visas from , some are a real PITA

Fortunately a Yellow Book is not a necessity so you can decide if it is really worth the trouble to jump through the hoops that your Amphur may require. For the number of times that I have had any need for it, I am still ahead by just getting a residency certificate from Immigration when needed.

But if it was as easy as some report here then I would go to the trouble but in Amphur Sattahip it is a real dog and pony show, requiring not only the translation of your passport but bringing the local head man to the office to vouch for you

• Like 1

It definitely has to be done in the amphur/kaet where you reside.