US mandatory health coverage

Thank you for a lot of good information.

I currently fly to Los Angeles for 3 weeks every year to visit my 83 year old Mom.

Visiting my elderly Mom is different from living in California but California may try to disagree.

Not sure if that voids the 18 months away from California. Does it?

The website earth class mail price is about $400 a year and for extra they can scan my mail or forward it.

If a car insurance company could detect the address wasn't real then I guess minimal checking is all that is necessary to discover it's not a true residence.

I will try to get an international drivers license and Thai drivers license. This should show intent to stay in Thailand and not return to California.

My driver's license expires next year.

Still need to have an address for the tax statements and banks.

I need my investment company to believe I live in America. Mail forwarding probably ok.

But I need to file taxes that I live outside America 330 dsys to avoid Obama care penalty.

• Like 1

Thank you for a lot of good information.

I currently fly to Los Angeles for 3 weeks every year to visit my 83 year old Mom.

Visiting my elderly Mom is different from living in California but California may try to disagree.

Not sure if that voids the 18 months away from California. Does it?

The website earth class mail price is about $400 a year and for extra they can scan my mail or forward it.

If a car insurance company could detect the address wasn't real then I guess minimal checking is all that is necessary to discover it's not a true residence.

I will try to get an international drivers license and Thai drivers license. This should show intent to stay in Thailand and not return to California.

My driver's license expires next year.

Still need to have an address for the tax statements and banks.

I need my investment company to believe I live in America. Mail forwarding probably ok.

But I need to file taxes that I live outside America 330 dsys to avoid Obama care penalty.

Brian -- the Calif law I read said only need to be out of California 18 months -- with on 45 days allow for a visit --- and that may have been a yearly allowance ... You need to do more direct research on the California code that affects you.

For that matter for the current tax year - why not file as Thailand as your address. Does your investment company look at your tax filings? Also - if it were me in a similar situation -- I would have no problem with using a street address from companies like earthclassmail or the one that Neversure suggested in a prior post.

I live in Thailand and pay taxes in Thailand.

I don't earn a lot as a teacher here. (Less than $24,000 a year)

Have insurance through the school.

I was not sure when it talked about vacation not counting.

If I spend 36 days on vacation in America does this mean I loose my federal tax exemption.

I still need to pay California tax. They don't care whete I live they will always considered me a resident. (Mom lives there). I have a bank account with mail going to a California address.

you need to use your foreign address for CA FTB here and the same with IRS. you are allowed to earn up to 95000 per year not taxed in the U.S. if you meet one of the two tests mentioned about living outside the USA. I would strongly suggest you file amended returns and get refunds for the taxes you paid. it's not that difficult. call the CA FTB and they are very helpful: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutFTB/contact.shtml?WT.mc_id=Global_Utility_Contact

• Like 2

You might wish to take a look at Traveling Mailbox, a mail-forwarding/scanning service that offers postal addresses in some of the US states which lack state income tax: https://travelingmailbox.com/ The prices seem to be lower than some other such services (especially true if you have mail scanned much more often than you forward mail as you get a free scan pages allowance every month).

I primarily use the scanning service. The only mail I have found necessary to have forwarded are things like credit cards. Opt for email delivery of statements from all businesses you deal with (although even after doing this I still get the rare letter at my postal address -- we haven't quite reached paperless nirvana yet) . I maintain this address to be used by all my US financial institutions. I use my overseas address when I file my federal income tax, rather than my US mail address (maybe this helps to avoid being ensnared in ObamaCare but at any rate it can't hurt).

Before leaving the states to move overseas I moved from a state with state income tax, to a state with no state income tax. Established residence in the new state (rented apartment, opened bank account, got driver's license, registered to vote, obtained library card, filed declaration of domicile with county courthouse), and most importantly, severed all ties with my old state of residence. Also, filed a part-year resident state income tax return with the old state and haven't filed a state income tax return since.

One caveat, possibly a deal-breaker, Traveling Mailbox will not forward packages to Thailand (mostly everywhere else, but not Thailand). Some other mail services will.

Edited by skatewash

You might wish to take a look at Traveling Mailbox, a mail-forwarding/scanning service that offers postal addresses in some of the US states which lack state income tax: https://travelingmailbox.com/ The prices seem to be lower than some other such services (especially true if you have mail scanned much more often than you forward mail as you get a free scan pages allowance every month).

I primarily use the scanning service. The only mail I have found necessary to have forwarded are things like credit cards. Opt for email delivery of statements from all businesses you deal with (although even after doing this I still get the rare letter at my postal address -- we haven't quite reached paperless nirvana yet) . I maintain this address to be used by all my US financial institutions. I use my overseas address when I file my federal income tax, rather than my US mail address (maybe this helps to avoid being ensnared in ObamaCare but at any rate it can't hurt).

Before leaving the states to move overseas I moved from a state with state income tax, to a state with no state income tax. Established residence in the new state (rented apartment, opened bank account, got driver's license, registered to vote, obtained library card, filed declaration of domicile with county courthouse), and most importantly, severed all ties with my old state of residence. Also, filed a part-year resident state income tax return with the old state and haven't filed a state income tax return since.

One caveat, possibly a deal-breaker, Traveling Mailbox will not forward packages to Thailand (mostly everywhere else, but not Thailand). Some other mail services will.

From what I read, I don't need to establish residency in a new state but need to severe ties to California. Need to severe intent to return.

My California driver's license will expire next year and I won't renew.

I will get a Thai driver's license next year.

I have filed taxs as out of country for 5 years. I am going to a Thai university to get an Ed degree for teaching in Thailand.

My financial institutions send mail to California but not sure if the FTB tracks that. I may change it to Colorado where my sister lives. California is one of the few aggressive tax collector states.

Everything financial is online and don't need paper copies.

I believe after breaking ties with California I will not need to pay California tax on my ROTH conversions.

Even for non residents, California wants taxes on all income coming from California companies, including pensions.

When I eventuslly retire, I will probably owe California tax on my pension but not on social security. I plan to have all my IRA money converted to ROTH IRA by then.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are doing the right things to make your case that you are no longer a California resident for tax purposes. Also, that you don't have an intention to return to Califorrnia.

Of course, if you become a resident of another state (a non state income tax state, for instance) that supports your contention that you have no intention of returning to California. This may not be necessary in your case.

In my case, my former state of Maryland takes the view that former residents, even if they currently live overseas, have on-going responsibilities (basically forever) to file state income tax returns. I had no desire to do this and so took the extra precaution of changing my state of residence from Maryland to another (non state income tax) state. When I left that new state to live overseas that state did not take the same attitude as Maryland regarding ongoing responsibilities of former residents. It's unfortunate that some states have trouble taking no for an answer, but there you go. Stalking erstwhile residents is an unattractive characteristic in a state; they really need to learn to let go.

Finally, I would get some good financial advice on whether you are liable for California state income taxes on your California pensions. I don't doubt that California would like to claw back that money, but whether it is legal or not to do so may be another question entirely. The US Supreme Court may have something to say about that sort of overreach. I tend to think that that is not legal, but further research should be done to determine the right answer to that question.

You're smart to be doing low-cost conversions from traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs now while you are a student and presumably have relatively low income. I'm doing the same thing myself and hope that I never have to pay income taxes again in my life. You might be interested in this article about tradtitonal to Roth IRA conversions: http://www.madfientist.com/roth-ira-horse-race/

Best wishes!

Edited by skatewash

California taxes sports teams for games they play in California.

Items purchased on the Internet and shipped to California must pay California sales tax.

Anytime a California company sends money to anybody then California wants taxes. They don't care where is your residence. Too many people in California depending on government money for their daily lives.

None of my salary from teaching in Thailand is taxed by the US government, but California feels entitled to taxes from it.

I don't think California tax board can check every bank where they send mail.

I am not sure if a mastercard debit card is reported to TRW since it is not truly a credit card.

I can change to Colorado. Although they have state income tax, I don't think they aggressively pursue people.

The mail forwarders I have looked at are at least $400 per year for basic services.

Take a look at the Traveling Mailbox (link given earlier), then. I have been with them for over 2 years and pay about half of what you mentioned. Again, I use it mostly for the scanning/reading service rather than the mail forwarding (which is an extra cost). I do not get a lot of physical mail (I have never exceeded my free scan pages per month) as I've tried to set up everything electronically with communication via email with any correspondents. The other mail services I have looked at were considerably more expensive.

I would use the service only for financial mail. I would not need anything forwarded.

A scan would be sufficient.

Maybe just use for my bank with a credit card and financial investment company.

But from what I read, the address given would look like a mail forwarder. The address had your customer ID number.

If obvious not a real address then not good for establishing residency.

Good to know I am not the only person living overseas trying to get away from California's aggressive tax policy.

I would never ask for anything to be held.

Maybe the other mail forwarders were similar.

The cost is cheap starting at $15 a month.

I would not have anything sent to Thailand. Possibly firward to a relatively in America for pickup at my convience.

I am no longer a California resident and have no plans to live there in the future. I also will not ask California for any benefits (what benefits? )

I thought interesting the article about doing 2 ROTH conversions and re characterize the lower performing conversion.

I use Turbo tax and it downloads directly from my financial institution and figures everything.

I just looked at traveling mailbox. Looks like they will only hold for 60 days? .

When I see your name I always think of a large ski resort in Utah.

I miss snow skiing.

You need to go to snow town at dreamworld! They give you a coat and boots but I only lasted a few trips down the hill in the sled before it was too cold! Lol

I just looked at traveling mailbox. Looks like they will only hold for 60 days? How much to send to Thailand? It only says $2 plus shipping.

I used another service before but they would hold up to 6 months and used DHL and was $32 to Thailand. Scanning was extra.

They will hold for 60 days for free. If you want something held longer than that I believe they charge $0.25/month/item. 99% of time I look at the free (if under the allowance per month) scanned envelope and decide whether to get the envelope contents scanned (for free, if under the free page allowance per month). So I see what letters arrive in real time (email notification), decide whether I need to read that letter. If yes, I get an email of the contents (pdf files). If no, I don't (probably indicates I consider it junk mail). I deal with the mail as soon as it comes in (after I have been notified by email), so the 60 day hold thing has never really been a problem for me. They will consolidate mail for shipping. So for example, last time I had mail forwarded to me I first had it scanned, saw it was a new credit card, had them forward it to me (choosing from USPS, FedEx, UPS, can't remember which I choose) along with a letter I had previously received (so they do free mail forwarding consolidation), For this I had to pay $2 + the standard shipping fee charged by USPS/UPS to send envelope containing these two letters to Thailand. Sorry, I don't remember the cost, but wild guess somewhere between $5 - $15. Traveling Mailbox doesn't charge an inflated shipping fee beyond the charge commonly available from the shipper (the $2 is their only fee for the service). In my case, I don't receive a lot of mail, very little actually. Almost all of it I have scanned and read. Almost none of it do I actually have forwarded to me. Knowing the contents is enough for me, don't actually need the letter in my possession. Something like a new credit card is an exception.

I have also used their check deposit service for the rare cases when I get a nuisance check that I need deposited to my account in the US. I say nuisance check because I have tried to arrange all of my affairs to be electronic and not postal, but sometimes something comes up. Saves time having the check forwarded to me in Thailand and mailed back to my bank. I think Traveling Mailbox charges $5 per check for this service (plus cost of postage).

For this level of service it costs me $15/month.

Please also note that they will NOT ship packages/parcels to Thailand. Forwarded mail (multiple pieces in one envelope) yes, but actual packages or parcels no. Here is their explanation of why:

Due to the high risk of fraud, we do not receive packages coming from outside of the United States and we do not forward packages to the following Countries: Armenia, Cuba, Ghana, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Romania, Sudan, Syria, Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam, or Malaysia.

I would use the service only for financial mail. I would not need anything forwarded.

A scan would be sufficient.

Maybe just use for my bank with a credit card and financial investment company.

But from what I read, the address given would look like a mail forwarder. The address had your customer ID number.

If obvious not a real address then not good for establishing residency.

Good to know I am not the only person living overseas trying to get away from California's aggressive tax policy.

I would never ask for anything to be held.

Maybe the other mail forwarders were similar.

The cost is cheap starting at $15 a month.

I would not have anything sent to Thailand. Possibly firward to a relatively in America for pickup at my convience.

I am no longer a California resident and have no plans to live there in the future. I also will not ask California for any benefits (what benefits? )

I thought interesting the article about doing 2 ROTH conversions and re characterize the lower performing conversion.

I use Turbo tax and it downloads directly from my financial institution and figures everything.

Well, yes the address that they give you does look to me like a mail forwarder, but I have actually had addresses like that (with an apartment number, suite, unit, etc.) when I lived in apartment complexes so to some people it might seem like a normal address. For example:

Your First Name and Last Name 6170 W Lake Mead Blvd #41234 Las Vegas, NV 89108

They make the point that it's a street address, not a PO Box, but you are right in saying that it does contain your customer number (e.g., 41234). I guess to some that may look like an apartment number, or unit number. The truth is if the person sending you mail wants to know what kind of address it is, they can find out that it is a mail forwarder (that is, it is a USPS 1583 regulated address, the postal code that pertains to mail forwarders). So if someone really wants to know, say a US financial institution, if this is a real residential address (instead of a mail forwarder service)they can probably find out from the post office. I haven't experienced any problems with that so far.

• Like 1

As for getting International Driver's license in the USA. I did it by going to the local AAA auto club office. But all the International Driver's License is is a vest pocket sized document a few pages long that has your picture in it, and all it does is document that you have a valid State Driver's License. Maybe other countries do it differently, but that is what I got here in the USA.

As for getting International Driver's license in the USA. I did it by going to the local AAA auto club office. But all the International Driver's License is is a vest pocket sized document a few pages long that has your picture in it, and all it does is document that you have a valid State Driver's License. Maybe other countries do it differently, but that is what I got here in the USA.

I believe the AAA is only place to get an International Drivers Permit in the US. Cost $10-15 (don't remember). They will take the picture for you. I do recommend getting this before you leave for Thailand, but as it's only valid for 12 months, it's best to get it as close to your departure as practical. Once in Thailand you will be legal for driving with your US state driver license and IDP for a period of months (3 or 6, I can't remember). In practical terms, you can often get by with just a foreign DL if it's in English (that is, without the IDP), but to be fully legal you do need the IDP too. Funny thing is all the IDP really does is translate your US DL into English (and other languages, but Thais are most likely to understand the English only), but does so in a way that is standardized worldwide. So for $10 it is really worth having. Also, if you get into an accident (not hard to do in TL) and are dealing with an insurance company claim it's good to be fully legal and not give the insurance co. an easy out to refuse your claim.

But a big added bonus to having the IDP is if you have a motorcycle endorsement on your US drivers license you will be able to turn that into a Thai Driver's License for Motorcycles without taking either the written or practical test. In TL, there are separate DL for Motorcycle and Car. You can turn your US DL into a Thai DL for Cars without taking either the written or practical test too, you just need to present your US DL and IDP to Land Transport Office. If you have a motorcycle endorsement on your US DL make sure AAA transfers that information to your IDP (they do normally, but check that they do), as it's a major bonus in getting your future Thai DL for Motorcycle.

I am already in Thailand.

I just sent the completed application, copy of front and back of my California driver's license, 2 passport photos 2 ×2 to my Mom.

She is a member of AAA.

Reading the website a license in English should be sufficient but I will get the IDL as additional support.

I am hoping I can use my Thai driver's license (possibly with a IDL from Thailand) to drive legally when I visit America.

I don't have the motorcycle license.

Soon I will have no connection to California.