Who the he11 would want to buy a 3 wheeler?

BSJ

I don't understand why companies put millions of $$'s into developing 3 wheelers. For the same sort of money you can have a car with all the bells and whistles.

First it was Can-Am, now it's Polaris having a go at a 3 wheeler!

The Polaris Slingshot

post-63954-0-79921900-1413119631_thumb.j

I wonder why all companies don't build beautiful bikes and cars, it doesn't cost any more.

I think people would tolerate a slightly second rate vehicle if it was beautiful, surely these Chinese (and Jap) bike/car manufactures could put a few thousand quid by to commission an Italian designer.

I wonder why all companies don't build beautiful bikes and cars, it doesn't cost any more.

I think people would tolerate a slightly second rate vehicle if it was beautiful, surely these Chinese (and Jap) bike/car manufactures could put a few thousand quid by to commission an Italian designer.

I was thinking more that you are limited to what you can do with it. Two seater with minimal luggage capacity. No roof so you have to gear up or burn in the sun or freeze in the winter. Plus in a traffic jam your stuck with the cars....no lane splitting!

It depends on the country.

There's a lot of land in North America where you wouldn't see any cars or traffic for hours so this brings more of the outdoor bike feeling to people afraid to ride a bike.

There are less safety and emissions regs on 3 wheelers so they are cheaper/easier to develop and get past governments.

It is simply a toy like a bike but you can see the passenger.

Practicality probably wasn't high on the list of their development schedule.

This thing must fishtail like crazy which some might consider fun.

Yeah, I would just get a used car instead but I am sure people in the market for a trike already own several cars.

Polaris already makes snowmobiles, boats, jetskis, ATVs, side by sides, and Victory motorcycles.

They had nothing else left to make but a trike.

Maybe someday they will be a proper car manufacturer and this is how they plan to learn their mistakes.

Edited by ttakata

A friend spent some of his kids inheritance on one several years ago as a way to alleviate his mid life crisis (heading into retirement). He would have much preferred a big Harley, similar to his riding companions, BUT as he had lost both legs during the Vietnam war ---- NO need to go on!

PS he did not buy one of those monstrosities pictured in the OP. More the conventional style (normal Harley front going to the 2 wide rear wheels with custom controls)

if i want to buy a car, i go buy a proper car. If i want to buy a bike, i go buy a proper bike.

but this?

Not a car, not a bike!

Yamaha - especially yamaha's recent high cc 01Gen three wheeled concept - and Piaggio's three wheeled models are better idea as they run and behave like a motorcycle and offer the extra safety of three wheel at the front.

093014-yamaha-01gen-multi-wheel-crossove

Edited by ll2

A friend of mine built a a Z1000 powered trike (conventional, single wheel front and twin rear wheels). With a bit of tweeking and a huge NoS bottle I have to confess that it looked like fun when he left two wavy black lines on the tarmac as he hit the NoS button in 2nd gear.

Apart from that I agree, no appeal.

I've watched several of the video reviews of the Polaris- I think it looks like a load of fun, and it's priced at not much more than a premium motorcycle (if it comes to LOS- and I bet it will- it will be ~1.1m for the base model)- it would be a great toy to own alongside a bike.

Looks like training wheels for the scared. I looked at several in Pattaya downstairs of Big C & they just look like twice the expense for tires & shocks & other assorted parts that will wear out with the independent forks on the front end.I dunno I like a deuce or even a 3 wheel trike with a monster engine Tires in back solid axel.Kinda makes me wonder what happens if the ass end shouuld slide out or rear brake lockup in the rear may cause the front forks to dip at different rates & eject you onto the pavement. Wasn't it Polaris or Kawasaki that had the brilliant 3 wheeler of death?

Kinda makes me wonder what happens if the ass end shouuld slide out or rear brake lockup in the rear may cause the front forks to dip at different rates & eject you onto the pavement.

I would imagine the traction control and ABS (both of which come standard on the Slingshot) would come in handy in either situation.;)

In the vids testers make note of how it holds its line even with the rear spinning.

Life is not for just the young...

How about the Yamaha TriCity for people in their 70's? It happens ... people get older ... some have balance problems - but are not debilitated... and still want a motorbike for going to the supermarket or for just living life ...

Just because one gets older -- one is not dead... despite what younger people think...

I don't have one - yet ... but I am not age 70 ... YET!

To each his own...

• Like 1

£31,140 will buy you a old look, brand new 3 wheeler http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/morgan/10535837/2014-Morgan-3-Wheeler-review.html

likewise with 4 wheels you can buy a old look but brand new Mk 2 Jag 3.4 or 3.8 lt, but cost 350 - 375,000 UK £ http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/jaguar-mark-2-revealed-2014-08-28

The Slingshot has excellent PTW (2.4 DOHC 4-banger with 175hp/150lb/ft pushing 1750lbs) and can achieve 1G of lateral acceleration- it doesn't sound like it's made for geriatrics or the disabled.

This is a trike (IMHO) and does nothing for me- the Can Am Spyder F3

092414-2015-can-am-spyder-F3-S-f.jpg

The Slingshot is a sports car (again, IMHO- it's officially classified as a 'motorcycle') and is a great way to have a cheap road-burner in LOS (if it's brought here):

2015-Polaris-Slingshot-static-1-590x393.

It's as practical as a Caterham.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown