Ebola In Thailand..... Are You Prepared?

wackybacky

critical extinction event

lol. You know Ebola doesn't kill 100% of it's victims, right?

The best thing you can do is to do the same thing you would do to prepare for a natural disaster. Make sure you have plenty of food and water on hand, and lock yourself in your condo.

But if you really believe this is going to wipe out a mass amount of the world's people, then you might as well move to Pattaya and go out with a smile (while your eye balls and gums are bleeding out).

• Like 1

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a major city falls? it does not work like that. maybe 50-60 years ago it did. we are a global world, in 18 hrs this can spread to any major city in any country. what will destroy a city will be it own inability to contain the spread, lack of medical care (non ebola), food & water shortages,rapid inflation & price gouging. there is no cure, sick people will be stacked up. panic will thrive. ebola will mutate, already is airborn in texas. it will be interesting & dangerous times in the near future. stock up on water,rice,& supplements. :-)

It does work like that. There is a multi day (1 week maybe) incubation time and people don't become infectious until they're ill - this limits it's spread which is why Ebola infections tend to happen to those who are close to the victims - like doctors, nurses and family members.

It's not 'already airborne' in Texas.

The death rate is quoted at 70-80 percent... might not be 100 percent But more than enough to change this planet

The biggest deal about Ebola is it can take upto three weeks for you to show symptoms ....

And by then how many people can you have infected ....

The western countries goverments can puff there chests and tell everyone we will be ok but I don't believe them

If this gets wide spread in Europe or the USA before a cure can be mass produced then I think human society will implode

Greed and ignorance rule the day now in society and it will be a free for all ....survival of the nastiest and cold hearted ahead

• Like 1

dude, where you get your news? the nurse in texas was infected by touch, not fluid transfer. head of cdc has said it mutated to being airborn, in the nurses pet dog they think it has also airborn but not sure. you are quoteing old incubation studys from 30 years ago. cdc says they are at a loss as to why it has muated.

Seems that I mixed up the nurse in Spain with the one in Texas. The Spanish nurse was the one who rubbed her face. The Texas nurse apparently did not follow protocol when removing her protective clothing:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/13/health/ebola-nurse-how-could-this-happen/index.html

Although it doesn't go into detail. I'd like to know exactly what protocol was breached and why other health care workers working on the same patient didn't get infected.

"The Texas nurse apparently did not follow protocol when removing her protective clothing" Of course she did not... according to an off the cuff proclamation by a CDC official -- who had no evidence - no proof - no nothing ... except a knee jerk reaction to protect his job and the CDC... The CDC has no proof of what happened - nothing... they are guessing and laying blame to protect themselves...

Show me the proof the nurse infected herself... show me how she did it... show the procedural lapse - show me when it happened... You know so much - certainly you know all the answers to my questions... or are you just making it up as you go along...

The fact that Nina Pham, the nurse who became infected in Dallas after being in close contact with the patient while the entire airplane full of fellow passengers are not infected speaks volumes.

He wasn't passing Ebola on to anyone until he was very ill and in hospital. Even his family who were living with him are not ill, only the nurse and possibly her boyfriend - they're not sure on the boyfriend right now though.

Edited by ukrules

wow, where u get your news the bangkok post ? the cdc head already said he miss spoke about broken protocal, fact is, it has mutated.

Nobody else on the plane with Thomas Duncan became ill.

The family who he was living with are also ok.

If it's airborne at least some of them should be ill right ? But they're not.

• Like 1

dude, where you get your news? the nurse in texas was infected by touch, not fluid transfer. head of cdc has said it mutated to being airborn, in the nurses pet dog they think it has also airborn but not sure. you are quoteing old incubation studys from 30 years ago. cdc says they are at a loss as to why it has muated.

feel freed to link us to his statement that says it has mutated to airborne.

Personally, I am not worried about ebola being a pandemic in western countries, and I am not overly worried about it being a pandemic in Thailand (little more).... because I believe with the proper controls the infection rate will drop below 1 and the ebola situation will burn out. If things turn the situation is still growing at a rather slowly (as compared to flus, colds and even SARS).

I have in the past, being a resident of a SARS affected city, prepared for a pandemic both corporately and individually. Some workers were isolated working out of their home, others in a small temporary branch office - all incase the worst happened. Personally, I had stores of rice, freezer full of vegetables and meat -- as well water.... enough to survive with ease for 6+ months if the situation went critical. Things turned around a couple of days after some of my medical knowledgeable friends were saying ..... we have lost control.

I don't necessarily classifying "prepping" in general to be a loonie idea, being prepared is a good idea - but like everything it depends on the mental state of the person. Are they prepping to be prepared for emergencies -- or because they gone off the rails and believe the four horsemen are on their way.

Dr Freidel of the CDC is the one who has all along insisted that it is not airborne, and is unlikely to go airborne. When at the same time many expert virologists who have studied ebola have actually contradicted him saying that because ebola zaire is a very mutative strain, that it is likely that because of the massive amount of transmissions involved in this outbreak and the exponential growth rate it has, then each time it transfers, there is a genetic roll of the dice where it can mutate into a different viral species and can indeed become airborne.

It is correct as pointed out that the disease only becomes transmittable one the symptoms start affecting the host, this is almost correct in that it can actually be transmitted slightly before, but once symptoms are full blown it becomes highly contagious. The CDC has also played down just how contagious it is... Trust me... It is super contagious.

It is also airborne in a way, because when the patient is super infectious, coughs and sneezes can transmit just like any other virus (up to a point,,, Had Mr Duncan been full blown on his flights, then I would pretty much guarantee those in his immediate vicinity would be at very high risk. The CDC already have said it 'can' go airborne, they have stopped short of saying likely.

My opinion is that the CDC are under orders to be very limited in the facts as not to start a mass panic in the US because let's face it, the US doesn't take much to start getting rowdy about something and just takes one rush on a bunch of supermarkets in a couple of cities and it can spread like an out of control bush fire and that will create a lot of lawlessness the likes of which the powers that be will never be able to control.

The US public are already very suspicious of its government. With many even thinking that they are complicit in this whole ebola thing from the start wanting to depopulate the country by killing 170 million of its people, eradicating all blacks in Africa and the Middle east, with even Bill Gates at the helm.... Or they are in bed with the big pharmas to sell over priced vaccines. Followed by a new world order...... Most of it absurd. But these are common stories floating around the US, just check out youtube. Most of the conspiracy theory videos (and there are heaps) which normally get more likes than dislikes.

Edited by wackybacky

Personally, I am not worried about ebola being a pandemic in western countries, and I am not overly worried about it being a pandemic in Thailand (little more).... because. If things turn the situation is still growing at a rather slowly (as compared to flus, colds and even SARS).

I have in the past, being a resident of a SARS affected city, prepared for a pandemic both corporately and individually. Some workers were isolated working out of their home, others in a small temporary branch office - all incase the worst happened. Personally, I had stores of rice, freezer full of vegetables and meat -- as well water.... enough to survive with ease for 6+ months if the situation went critical. Things turned around a couple of days after some of my medical knowledgeable friends were saying ..... we have lost control.

I don't necessarily classifying "prepping" in general to be a loonie idea, being prepared is a good idea - but like everything it depends on the mental state of the person. Are they prepping to be prepared for emergencies -- or because they gone off the rails and believe the four horsemen are on their way.

I believe with the proper controls the infection rate will drop below 1 and the ebola situation will burn out

The problem with that is that it is a rather nasty and fast killing virus and not to be compared with airborne colds and flus where while people don't really want to catch a cold or flu dose, it has a very slim chance of leading to their death (in the fraction of a %) but with ebola it is very different as so is attitude to it. At the moment 71% chance you die a horrific zombie style agonizing death. That is what could (and probably will) result in a break down of law and order, and once that happens and people start panicking and running off in all directions, all control is gone. ALL CONTROL.

Are they prepping to be prepared for emergencies -- or because they gone off the rails and believe the four horsemen are on their way.

At this moment I haven't started prepping and am still currently arguing for and against it. I am weighing up many different scenarios from a cure being found tomorrow and it all gone away in the next 2 weeks, to complete possible social breakdown across the globe. Lootings, shootings and martial law with shoot on sight policy.... who knows?

Maybe I will start casually by buying a dozen 2L bottles of water per day, some rice, mama, pasta etc.... and watch what happens and can scale up if and when, or of not.... I consume that lot anyway. It doesn't take much to keep yourself alive on rations for a year.

I believe with the proper controls the infection rate will drop below 1 and the ebola situation will burn out

The problem with that is that it is a rather nasty and fast killing virus and not to be compared with airborne colds and flus where while people don't really want to catch a cold or flu dose, it has a very slim chance of leading to their death (in the fraction of a %) but with ebola it is very different as so is attitude to it. At the moment 71% chance you die a horrific zombie style agonizing death. That is what could (and probably will) result in a break down of law and order, and once that happens and people start panicking and running off in all directions, all control is gone. ALL CONTROL.

Since we are forecasting things, there it is not black and white and difference scenarios result in different outcomes and to a certain extent that means that it is faith in what the future holds. Of course if the virus mutates badly, then things might change (there is as equal a chance that if it mutates it would mutate to a less lethal virus as well). We have been living with the potential that the bird flu virus could mutate and create something like the 1918 flu for more than a decade now.

Certain countries in Africa have done a very bad job and dealing with the outbreak - which is not a surprise. Mistrust of doctors, the belief that they are ghouls out to steal the organs of people; the belief that ebola was not real only a cover for the ghouls; the attacking of treatment / quarantine centres to free the patients, and steal all the infected material such as bedding etc., the bringing of the infected back to live with them; the fact that the it is in a densely populated area.... Then there are the death rituals that are still being observed - such as the kissing of corpses, the sharing of final drinks..... it is no wonder that certain countries have not been affected even more than now.

Then you have countries like Nigeria, which approached it with controls similar to how it is approached in western countries - and has become "ebola free".

Two different approaches, two different outcomes. I believe the western countries will deal with it, but each future infection will kill a certain number of people and then die out after a few generations. I am hoping that Thailand will approach it similarly to western countries and Nigeria.... but of course there is some doubt there.

I sort of comparing the two different approaches to the dropping of a rock in water vs air, or water vs quicksand. One provides more resistance than the other. So if the worst case scenario above has an infection rate of 1.5 to 2.0 people per infected person, that once it meets a denser medium - it will slow... likely to less than 1.... which would mean the outbreak would slow and be controlled within a few generations -- with fast contact tracing of those affected. I am watching the outbreak in Dallas closely, and if it goes the way I believe it will... it will be controlled with the nurse or a one more generation.... then stopped. Of course if it continues in Africa there will be more outbreaks to respond to.

If however the outbreak reaches 30 people infected in 3 months (which would be consistent with the African outbreak) in the Dallas area, I may very well change my viewpoint. If it accelerates when going to new countries that are more responses... then it might be time to panic.

I don't believe there will be an effective new "cure" or anything more than standard treatments now.... I just don't think we are that smart ohmy.png

For now, I am just an interested observer....

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

The one thing that does concern me about Thailand is the lack of diligence currently in respect to (fast) contact tracing that is the mainstay of controlling outbreaks like this. I know at least one person that has been in the ICU for months due to complications from surgery and had a stroke. I was told through a mutual friend that visited her that she has since been diagnosed with TB, and likely had it before being in this situation. As far as I can see.... there has been no effort to trace contacts.

• Like 1

Richard Preston wrote the non-fiction book, The Hot Zone, in 1994 as a follow-up to his piece of the same name in the New Yorker in 1992 about the Ebola outbreak in Africa. I read the book shortly after it came out, and learned a lot about what we do and don't know about the virus. I suggest the book as a good read, and Preston is on Reddit answering question about Ebola. He also has a Facebook page. It's against forum rules to post a link, so just Google the name of his book.

Maybe we could have a group reading somewhere.......I get a little bit frightened sitting back in neverdie hq......plus I have trouble with the big words ;).

I am guessing eventually, something like this could eventually hit the world hard. International travel virtually makes it a sure thing.

The world has too many humans in it, but it always saddens me to see the poorest people on the planet suffer with these things :(

Dooms Day Prepper....... was the first thing that sprung to my mind. 555555

Scarey stuff so e of the things you are talking about. I didn't realise things were that bad.

.......must run, I've got to prepare myself.

mouth masks eh? works for everything, used to see em running round bkk when bird flu was on the golaugh.png

That was probably me, but FYI, I wear the mask to hide my face.....the ladies get scared in the skytrain when they see the full neverdie face in all it's glory :P

Scarey stuff so e of the things you are talking about. I didn't realise things were that bad.

mouth masks eh? works for everything, used to see em running round bkk when bird flu was on the golaugh.png
That was probably me, but FYI, I wear the mask to hide my face.....the ladies get scared in the skytrain when they see the full neverdie face in all it's glory :P

post-179267-0-16197200-1413319763_thumb.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-10-04-12-37-22-1.png

LOL, luv ur temple signs, keep them coming :) 5555

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-10-04-12-37-22-1.png

LOL, luv ur temple signs, keep them coming :) 5555

Hmmm....when appropriate....

Thailand don't need Ebola they having enough other pests and some are dangerous too. biggrin.png

Of course they don't need it. Who needs it? Ebola makes a hole in the head look more appealing.

I have attempted to explain the 'possible' seriousness of the matter with the wife and her family, and they just seemed to snigger.... Despite the fact I have sat my wife down and gone into details of what exactly is on the line in the worst case scenario.

She merely is of the attitude that Thais will in general just heard themselves into the temple to wai.

So should I decide to go ahead with making preps, I am certainly on my own in that respect.

Thais think completely different to westerners, I see it every day.... Even in possible apocalyptic scenarios, and I don't think this junta will even move them an inch.

There will be endless streams of false info being disseminated across social media such as iphone 6 will give you ebola, farangs brought ebola to Thailand (potentially dangerous), It's ok... if I get ill, we have a cure anyway. etc etc etc.....

Thailand don't need Ebola they having enough other pests and some are dangerous too. biggrin.png

Of course they don't need it. Who needs it? Ebola makes a hole in the head look more appealing.

I have attempted to explain the 'possible' seriousness of the matter with the wife and her family, and they just seemed to snigger.... Despite the fact I have sat my wife down and gone into details of what exactly is on the line in the worst case scenario.

She merely is of the attitude that Thais will in general just heard themselves into the temple to wai.

So should I decide to go ahead with making preps, I am certainly on my own in that respect.

Thais think completely different to westerners, I see it every day.... Even in possible apocalyptic scenarios, and I don't think this junta will even move them an inch.

There will be endless streams of false info being disseminated across social media such as iphone 6 will give you ebola, farangs brought ebola to Thailand (potentially dangerous), It's ok... if I get ill, we have a cure anyway. etc etc etc.....

We're 'prepers' by default. We tend to hit Makro with a couple of pick-up trucks once or twice a year and get all long life stuff in serious bulk, like tins, washing powder, shampoo, toothpaste, you know that sort of thing. This saves a fortune over the year. That said it stays in a locked store room and is not a local 'shop'. On top of that the farms provide much of the fresh produce, rice is stockpiled.

The grounds of the house have a perimeter wall and solid stainless steel gates keep zombies out.

Have beans, but no shotguns.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

We're 'prepers' by default. We tend to hit Makro with a couple of pick-up trucks once or twice a year and get all long life stuff in serious bulk, like tins, washing powder, shampoo, toothpaste, you know that sort of thing. This saves a fortune over the year. That said it stays in a locked store room and is not a local 'shop'. On top of that the farms provides much of the fresh produce, rice is stockpiled.

The grounds of the house have a perimeter wall and solid stainless steel gates keep zombies out.

Have beans, but no shotguns.

Lol....

So seeing as there a couple of folk around who can't sleep the same as i can't at the moment.

I have made a very basic list of what i consider essentials.

Drinking water

We already have storage of 5000 L of other water.

Dried goods like

rice,

pasta,

mama,

plain noodles,

cereals such as muesli

dried milk powder

sugar

powdered mashed potato

powdered sauce mixes

Flour

Yeast

dried peas

salt

Canned products like

fruit

fish (tuna, sardines ) etc...

evaporated milk (mix 50/50 with water for fresh milk).

Condensed milk

baked beans

any other veggies

I already make a lot of my own preserves, I make my own ketchup, jams and pickles.

Meds will include

antibiotics, ibruprofen etc etc we have most of the common stuff, vitamin supplements, cod liver oil caps. Will beef up on other things that help treat ebola symptoms but I doubt we would need then so much.

I plan to have enough for 2 people for a year, if there is a rush on Makro, I would join in obviously and add to my stocks and for the family.

When that happens, I already know where I can get hold of solar panels cheap, and will get a bank of batteries together, I already have plenty low voltage lights here. Possibly a small genny and a portable toilet and enough chems to last. These are the most expensive things, so only if a problem is imminent will I go that far.

I can't have thought of everything, but I have a good mix of carbs, vitamins, proteans, calcium, iron and of course hydration.

But would welcome any advice on what anyone may think would be handy in a siege situation... I don't want weapons, I can't get hold of a gun, and I would probably give up a share of my stuff to save our lives. I doubt very much though that even Thais are daft enough to slash at someone with a machete when that person could be infected, the last thing they want is blood splattered all over their fact.....lol

I suppose I just roll the dice on defence as and if it happened.

^^ Wacky, good list. Yes, we include stuff like first aid provisions, basic medicines. It's actually a huge list come to think of it. Been doing the shopping like this for many years. Run it like a military supply operation.

I tend to do it when the kids are at school and only take them to do quick shopping on the weekends for other essentials like roller skates and bicycles, endless pairs of shoes and electric guitars, ipad things.

• Like 1