Hong Kong expats are more beautiful

JohnnyJazz

I am in Hong Kong for a few days to attend a fair and something strikes me one early morning when taking the metro to go to work : Hong Kong expats are generally younger, fitter, dress better and look much more professional than the average Bangkok expat. And when people in this forum complain that the new visa restriction will be the ruin of Thailand, it is actually much more difficult to obtain a long term visa in Hong Kong than in Thailand.

So why Thailand which on many aspects has much more to offer to would be expats than Hong Kong is failing to attract theses "quality" expats ?

PS : Pls note that I'm not talking about tourists but about professionals, people who come here to work.

• Like 1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because I am not a expat in Thailand yet, sadly barely a patsad.png but as soon as I become an ex-pat the beauty index in Thailand will skyrocket .

Until then you all will have to be content with looking at each otherbah.gif

• Like 2

Why do you claim Thailand has more to attrack professional expats than H.K.? Would think the reverse is more accurate

A lot of HK expats envy Thailand's (perceived) better quality of life.

On the other hand, at a professional level, Thailand is seen by many as a dumping ground for washed-up expats and those who couldn't make it in more competitive places like Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul or Singapore.

Actually it's probably a chicken/egg problem. There is not world class expat because there is no world class employers who are not here because they can't find world class expats who are not here because there is no world class employers who are not here ....

And maybe - just maybe - Thailand (and other places) offer lifestyle options that a great many people much prefer over what is offered by HK.......

Maybe Bangkok expats don't look nearly as good, but have you been to Chiang Mai?

Here in CM you find expats dressed to the nines, working out in their spare time, and it shows. Go down Soi 2 by the City View condo to see what I mean.

I'll spare my followers my usual wife-beater shirt comment.

Edited by mesquite

OP, the expats that you have seen must have been in the business district.

Try going to Silvermine Bay on Lantau island or Llama Island, where a lot of the long term ex-pats live and you will see a totally different picture.

Or if that doesn't open your eyes, book to stay in Chungking Mansions for a couple of nights.

• Like 1

Are you talking about the men or the women as ex-pats in Hong Kong?

The answer to that may shed a different light or agenda to the OP.

Never heard of anyone comparing ex-pats from different countries before as being prettier than another location.............wink.png

tongue.png

As a professional who has done quite a bit of business in Thailand and in HK over the years, I can't see a single reason I would want to relocate to either place. Visit yes but live, no way. Even my wife who is Thai has no desire to live in Thailand anymore after a few years in the US.

As a professional who has done quite a bit of business in Thailand and in HK over the years, I can't see a single reason I would want to relocate to either place. Visit yes but live, no way. Even my wife who is Thai has no desire to live in Thailand anymore after a few years in the US.

So tie that statement into the topic. You don't want to move to Thailand or Hong Kong because Hong Kong expats are more beautiful?

So tie that statement into the topic. You don't want to move to Thailand or Hong Kong because Hong Kong expats are more beautiful?

Well, I like Hong Kong, not sure if I'd want to live there. Worked in Singapore, like it, and would do it again; Bangkok is fine, but irrespective all three places has it share of expat idiots.

• Like 1

OP, the expats that you have seen must have been in the business district.

Try going to Silvermine Bay on Lantau island or Llama Island, where a lot of the long term ex-pats live and you will see a totally different picture.

Or if that doesn't open your eyes, book to stay in Chungking Mansions for a couple of nights.

It's the lap of luxury that Chungking Mansions place.

Ah the deluxe suite (seriously).

What's the ratio of sexpat to expat in hk? I suspect it isn't as high as it is in Thailand.

Another reason is weather. Hot humid all year here but there is a winter in hk so people can dress up a bit.

Go to Wanchai and Lan Kwai Fong and report back

Maybe the OP spent his time in Joe Bananas, the place is full of suits and not a shared brain between them.

A case in point. I think though it has now closed??

Maybe you should just cut & paste that into every post you make

• Like 1