Renewal 5 year second time Thai Drivers License Bkk refuses proof of ownership Condo foreigner says

farang101

I must get a letter from USA Embassy as proof or Immigration Chaeng Wattana. Even though I brought my papers of ownership of Condo and my 90 report and a new form Immigration gave me with my Retirement Visa in Aug. I brought TOT bills with my address and Electric bills and Truemove for Thai wife and I for many months. Why can't this be proof of my address for my second time Drivers License and Motor Cycle licenses?

thanks in advance

Bureaucracy.

You need proof of residence. Either embassy declaration or immigration address confirmation.

Don't forget a medical certificate.

Sent from my LG-D858

You do NOT need a medical certificate for the renewal of a 5 yr licence!!

Yes you do. 5 year renewal I was asked for medical certificate to show I was medically fit to drive.

I did it just 10 days ago.

Sent from my LG-D858

Edited by hansgruber

Bureaucracy.

You need proof of residence. Either embassy declaration or immigration address confirmation.

Sent from my LG-D858

Yes you do. 5 year renewal I was asked for medical certificate to show I was medically fit to drive.

Sent from my LG-D858

Depends on the specific office regarding medical certificates. Some offices now are also requiring renewals to take written tests while at others there is no requirement.

Edited by T_Dog
  • Like 2

Bureaucracy.

Sent from my LG-D858

Sent from my LG-D858

I did it at the Sukhumvit 62 office a couple of weeks ago and no medical certificate required.

Same here, renewal for the second time of a 5 years DL, presented yellow's house book + copies of it for them to keep, no medical's certification required of any kind and no other tests apart from the "brake" and the "colours" + (the hardest part) having to watch a very long disgraced video....i actually saw some people playing with their phones for the whole time, but i was curious and i watched the video instead, what a waste of time...

• Like 1

Bureaucracy.

Sent from my LG-D858

Most certainly do! At least at the registry I do mine in Nong Han, Udon Thani Province.

As Below, no test or Movie --- in and out in a few (30) minutes.

Edited by bdenner

thanks for the replies, my wife was told we have 90 days to get proof of ownership

of our Condo. Since Embassy wants 1600 baht and Immigration Chaeng Wattana said they

will give it for 400 baht we went there.

However, this was a surprise they did not give a receipt for the money and the person

who handled us J1 section and no Que number needed just copies of the passport

and 400 baht and the part about how long to get it mailed to us was 3 weeks.

I said that my birthday was coming up in Nov and he said Up to you and was giving me

back the money.

I already had an appointment set up for Embassy for the next day but decided to wait the 3 weeks .

This was the first time in 9 years here of doing my retirement visas and 90 day reports where

someone was so rude and arrogant.

He and another woman was working with a foreigner for about an hour before us

and when he came out for a break I just asked him if this was the right place for address

for second time drivers license renewal.? He said yes wait til this person is finished.

They seemed to be working hard with the foreigner ahead of us and other people were seemingly

waiting also since no Que number I asked if we were next to the people waiting in that area and no one

replied so when he finally left we went in. Only the man helped us and the lady and another lady were doing

nothing it seems to me.

In any case we figured 400 baht and no receipt so we have no proof except they gave a little piece of paper

with a number to call if we did not get it in 3 weeks or so and it must have had a case number I think? My wife was given it and they

mostly spoke to her except when he said Up to you if you want it you must wait at least 3 weeks so if anyone else is going

to renew and they are going to soi 62 Bkk they say no Medical test for our second 5 years renewal and just watch a movie.

They gave us a document that we must bring back with the passport copies for both my car and motorcycle license.

No pictures needed I hope it helps someone else since we were surprised that we could not show proof of ownership of condo

and other 90 day reports for years here? thanks again

thanks for the replies, my wife was told we have 90 days to get proof of ownership

of our Condo. Since Embassy wants 1600 baht and Immigration Chaeng Wattana said they

will give it for 400 baht we went there.

However, this was a surprise they did not give a receipt for the money and the person

who handled us J1 section and no Que number needed just copies of the passport

and 400 baht and the part about how long to get it mailed to us was 3 weeks.

They will never give a receipt because the certificate is officially free. Any payment made is just a "donation" (voluntary or not). This is why some offices charge 0B and some charge 500B and others want any amount in between.

As long as this sort of unofficial cash-in-a-drawer procedure is tolerated Thailand cannot really be seen as a developed country.

Same here, renewal for the second time of a 5 years DL, presented yellow's house book + copies of it for them to keep, no medical's certification required of any kind and no other tests apart from the "brake" and the "colours" + (the hardest part) having to watch a very long disgraced video....i actually saw some people playing with their phones for the whole time, but i was curious and i watched the video instead, what a waste of time...

i slept thru the entire video...

...and wasn't reprimanded--or woken--by the teacher tongue.png

At Chok Chai DL station, I brought a Medical Certificate, but the nice gentleman at the desk just gave it back.

I did not have to do the examination, nor drive tests.

I did have to watch that interminable, bad video.

This was for renewal of of 5-year licenses, car/light truck and motorcycle, not expired.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been thinking on getting the yellow tambien baan for some time. I finally got it done last week.

It was fairly simple. I went back to Immigration for another Certificate of Residence, then the wife and I went to the amphur. We supplied my passport (with copies of the photo page, current entry stamp, TM6, and current extension of stay stamp. We also had (with copies) my wife's ID card, her tambien baan, our marriage certificate, and a fairly recent ”marriage abstract” (I forget the Thaii term for it).

All those docs were good. The nice gentleman proceeded to start writing our story...I am not sure what it was, but he wrote a lot. We sort of got stuck for a bit on my mother's name (she divorced and remarried after I was born), but we eventually got past it. In hindsight I should have just stated her surname as the same as mine.

Then I needed two witnesses, I guess to state that I live at the house. We fetched the poo yai, and my 23 year old stepson. They both came to the amphur and talked to the man, and signed something. That was that.

About five days later, the amphur called and said come get your book.

Cost at the amphur? Zero...but we brought some snacks and coffee for the staff.

Some say the yellow book is only for bragging rights, whatever that means. I see it as another piece of documentation in a place that really likes official paperwork.

Known uses are drivers license renewal and registering a motor vehicle. Both of which I will do in the future. I suspect that other situations will arise where it will be useful as well.

• Like 1

I have been thinking on getting the yellow tambien baan for some time. I finally got it done last week.

It was fairly simple. I went back to Immigration for another Certificate of Residence, then the wife and I went to the amphur. We supplied my passport (with copies of the photo page, current entry stamp, TM6, and current extension of stay stamp. We also had (with copies) my wife's ID card, her tambien baan, our marriage certificate, and a fairly recent ”marriage abstract” (I forget the Thaii term for it).

All those docs were good. The nice gentleman proceeded to start writing our story...I am not sure what it was, but he wrote a lot. We sort of got stuck for a bit on my mother's name (she divorced and remarried after I was born), but we eventually got past it. In hindsight I should have just stated her surname as the same as mine.

Then I needed two witnesses, I guess to state that I live at the house. We fetched the poo yai, and my 23 year old stepson. They both came to the amphur and talked to the man, and signed something. That was that.

About five days later, the amphur called and said come get your book.

Cost at the amphur? Zero...but we brought some snacks and coffee for the staff.

Some say the yellow book is only for bragging rights, whatever that means. I see it as another piece of documentation in a place that really likes official paperwork.

Known uses are drivers license renewal and registering a motor vehicle. Both of which I will do in the future. I suspect that other situations will arise where it will be useful as well.

Hopefully you are not in Pattaya, since you will be disappointed to know that the Land Transport Office there will not accept a Yellow Book for proof of address to renew a drivers license or register a motor vehicle. They will only accept the Residency Certificate issued by Jomtien Immigration

So check with your local LTO before you jump through the hoops to get a Yellow book. If it is easy to get and not expensive by all means get one, but don't assume that it is going to be all that easy or inexpensive to get it. Like most things in Thailand local officials make up the rules as they go along and in some locations it can be an expensive time consuming exercise

Hopefully you are not in Pattaya, since you will be disappointed to know that the Land Transport Office there will not accept a Yellow Book for proof of address to renew a drivers license or register a motor vehicle. They will only accept the Residency Certificate issued by Jomtien Immigration

I am not in Pattaya, therefore am not disappointed.

So check with your local LTO before you jump through the hoops to get a Yellow book. If it is easy to get and not expensive by all means get one, but don't assume that it is going to be all that easy or inexpensive to get it. Like most things in Thailand local officials make up the rules as they go along and in some locations it can be an expensive time consuming exercise

I already have the Yellow Book. I know locations vary, but I would not call the process here (Chok Chai, Korat) expensive (free) or time consuming (two hours tops) by any stretch of the imagination. Nor would I call any of the requirements "jumping through hoops”...on the contrary, I am now on a friendly basis with a couple people in the amphur, and that is not a bad thing.

I am curious for detail on the ”expensive time consuming exercise”. I figure knowledge is a good thing.

Some Amphurs require an official translation of your passport. Others require that you be accompanied and vouched for by the local pooyaban. Others will send you to other offices ( like Immigration ) to get a residency certificate. Further examples can be found here by doing a Search for Yellow Book

Some Amphurs require an official translation of your passport. Others require that you be accompanied and vouched for by the local pooyaban. Others will send you to other offices ( like Immigration ) to get a residency certificate. Further examples can be found here by doing a Search for Yellow Book

In my description of the process I went through, I stated that I obtained a Certificate of Residence, and that the local pooyai and my stepson came to the amphur to vouch for me. I consider neither of those requirements excessive or jumping through hoops.

A translation of my passport was not required. That surely would be a bit more difficult but probably not a showstopper.

What else?

The yellow book at a cost of 20 bht is a good investment......thumbsup.gif

It is but you need to jump to quite a few hoops where i am located. So i havent gotten one so far.
Please quantify "quite a few hoops”...I am curious
Translation of passport some embassy stuff, the headman of the village has to come too and se orher stuff but mainly the headman of the village is a deal breaker for me.

I just renewed my one year motorcycle and auto licenses and obtained a five year license just last week. I just went into immigration with my passport, made the applicable number of copies, got photos, and was out with my paperwork for each license at 500 baht each. As before, the people were knowledgeable, pleasant and quick.

While they did make a copy of my wife's Thai ID, there was no discussion concerning yellow books or proof of residency or the other stuff mentioned. Was the wife's ID the reason that residency stuff was not required?

After leaving the Korat Immigration office, we made quick stop for the medical forms and were on our way for my license renewals.

They did mention that I will require one hour of training when I return in five years.

Edited by SpokaneAl

I just renewed my one year motorcycle and auto licenses and obtained a five year license just last week. I just went into immigration with my passport, made the applicable number of copies, got photos, and was out with my paperwork for each license at 500 baht each. As before, the people were knowledgeable, pleasant and quick.

While they did make a copy of my wife's Thai ID, there was no discussion concerning yellow books or proof of residency or the other stuff mentioned. Was the wife's ID the reason that residency stuff was not required?

After leaving the Korat Immigration office, we made quick stop for the medical forms and were on our way for my license renewals.

Al, where did you renew your licenses? And what did you do at Immigration? Edited by mgjackson69
  • Like 1

Al, where did you renew your licenses? And what did you do at Immigration?

I renewed at the Korat immigration.

I went upstairs and told them I needed to renew my drivers licenses. They sent me down to the nice copy and photo lady to copy the key parts of my passport and get two photos taken. I took that stuff back up to them, they put them in two separate piles - one for each license - I signed each page, they put them together in two packages, I paid my money and was on my way.

Basically ditto for me (one each farang) and my Thai wife on our renewal of our 5 year private auto and motorcycle licenses here in Bangkok last week...no medical certificate required...no tests other than the color and depth perception tests...they didn't do a brake reaction test this time. Had to watch a useless video for 45 minutes...it was indeed a waste. I have a Yellow Book so no need for any residence certificate from the embassy.

My Thai wife was renewing her 5 year license at the same time and translating for me during part of video. When the video first begin it shows 2 or 3 motorcyle taxi drivers saying the watching the videos to renew their licenses was a waste of their time...those video clips were meant to impress that many people did wonder why they needed to watch the video...why waste their time...but then the rest of the video tries to impress why it's important to learn proper driving rules like learning through tips giving during the video. While the video has good intentions, IMO the motorcycle taxi drivers were right in saying it's a waste of time. But it did make me sensitive over the following days of pointing out to my wife while driving the bad and dangerous driving habits we saw everywhere on the road and how many of them would have been perfect for the video. Like just the other day driving behind a motorcycle when the guys helmet blew off because he didn't strap it to his heard...or the many we saw with no helmets....or the overloaded truck with stuff falling off of it....or driving the wrong way on a one-way soi...or brake lights not working....or never using turn signals...or driving on the white line taking up two lanes...oh gosh, I could go on and on.