Manchester City

mrbojangles

And the winning streak still rolls on :o

From skysports

Mpenza goal sinks Newcastle

Emile Mpenza scored his second goal in as many games as Manchester City claimed a vital 1-0 win at Newcastle.

The contest will not live long in the memory banks, but it was settled by a fine finish from the Belgium international with ten minutes remaining.

City were winners at Middlesbrough before the international break and it would appear as if they like the North East air as they did enough to edge what was a poor encounter.

A dire opening 45 minutes littered with misplaced passes offered up one moment of quality from each side, but Scott Parker's celebrations for Newcastle after he had rammed home a clever pass from Kieron Dyer were cut short by an assistant's flag.

While at the other end Mpenza was handed the freedom of the park by Newcastle's defence to line up a shot from 20 yards and he crashed an effort against the crossbar.

Sadly, both sides added weight to those who support the statement that 'the table does not lie' as those fans who filled St James' Park were treated to some shocking fare in the first half.

Magpies chief Glenn Roeder is keen for his players to end the season on a high, but it would appear they failed to read the script as hard though they tried to break down the City defence, Andreas Isaksson did not have a save to make in the first half.

City are fighting for their lives towards the foot of the table and they demonstrated plenty of endeavour without threatening to test Given, but a defence marshalled superbly by Richard Dunne never looked like being breached.

Both sides came out with a greater sense of urgency after the interval. Parker fired over for Newcastle, Damien Duff sent a teasing ball across the face of goal and Sylvain Distin was forced into a fine saving tackle to deny Nolberto Solano.

City themselves looked more threatening after the interval and Dunne headed over from a corner, while Given was forced into a save by Darius Vassell.

Newcastle threw on James Milner with 15 minutes remaining and he fashioned a fine chance for the home side with a deep cross which Obafemi Martins sliced wide.

The Nigerian was made to rue his miss as Mpenza opened the scoring on 80 minutes.

Michael Johnson demonstrated a cool head to thread a pass beyond the Newcastle defence for Mpenza and the Belgian slammed his shot beyond the exposed Given.

Newcastle rallied to the cause and Steven Taylor crashed a header against the bar, Nicky Butt's volley was deflected off target, Stephen Carr fired a foot wide from 20 yards and Oguchi Onyewu headed wide in injury-time, but they were unable to claim a share of the spoils

Pearce pleased with display

Stuart Pearce was delighted with his side's performance in the win at Newcastle, but is refusing to take for granted that they are safe from relegation.

City have enjoyed their North East jaunts this term, having won at Middlesbrough and Newcastle in successive games, and they now have daylight between themselves and the drop zone.

Pearce felt his side executed his plan to perfection, as Emile Mpenza's late goal secured a 1-0 win, but he is keeping his players' feet on the ground.

"At half-time I said to them I thought we had done 85 per cent of what we wanted," he told Sky Sports. "I felt we could have been a touch more aggressive in possession and shutting the opposition down.

"They had a lot of possession, but didn't really threaten our goal.

"I always felt we could go on and win the game in the second half, even though Newcastle put us under a lot of pressure.

"I was pleased and proud of the players and they have done very well."

City are six points clear of the drop zone, but Pearce is aware they are not yet safe.

"At the start of the season I felt it would be tight to the end," said Pearce. "If you look, the third (bottom) placed team in the league has condensed it.

" I think any three from eight can go down and I think that is still the case.

"There will be one or two tight affairs before the end of the season."

BTW Joey was in my local watering hole last thursday night. Only drinking coke though :o

Barton: City aren't safe yet

Joey Barton claims Manchester City are still in a relegation battle despite Stuart Pearce's side claiming back-to-back wins against Middlesbrough and Newcastle.

Emile Mpenza's winner at St James' Park eased the pressure on Pearce but there is still only a six-point gap between City and third-from-bottom Charlton.

Barton insists that Charlton's late win over Wigan and the recent revival of West Ham means his side can not afford to rest on their laurels.

"I wouldn't say that win [against Newcastle] means we're safe. It's just a stepping stone in the right direction," Barton told Supergoals.

"Charlton and West Ham won so we weren't celebrating. Until it's mathematically possible for the bottom three to catch us there'll be no celebrations."

Barton admits he once feared for the club's Premiership status after a worrying run of results that saw the pressure heaped on Pearce.

"There's a lot of money involved if you drop out of the Premier League and a club our size can't afford to be relegated. We had to steady the ship a bit," added Barton

Don't know if you've seen the last 3 performances (chelski, M'bro and the geordies) but this is better! We're determined, hard to beat and seem to have found some one who can take his chances. The performances of young lad in midfield stand out - i'll be very surprised if he doesn't go on to be somebody. Come on City!

Don't know if you've seen the last 3 performances (chelski, M'bro and the geordies) but this is better! We're determined, hard to beat and seem to have found some one who can take his chances. The performances of young lad in midfield stand out - i'll be very surprised if he doesn't go on to be somebody. Come on City!

I agree, the boy Johnson has looked very capable.

Working as a unit now. Even Hamann looked ok.

Samaras still looks as though he is in way over his head.

Don't know if you've seen the last 3 performances (chelski, M'bro and the geordies) but this is better!

Absolutely. The "your'e not fit to wear the shirt" chants at Blackburn in the FA cup, seems to have given them a kicking up the jacksey!!

• Like 1

Ball wants City stay

Michael Ball is hoping to secure a long-term deal at Manchester City.

The 27-year-old initially signed a contract until the end of the season after impressing on trial.

Ball admits he is enjoying his time at City and is keeping his fingers crossed that the club decide to keep him.

"I'm really enjoying it and the chairman and gaffer know that," Ball told the club's official website.

"Fingers crossed, but it's up to the guys upstairs at the club.

"I enjoyed my time in Holland, but you're back in the public eye in England because it's such a massive league to play in.

"It's great to be back home and enjoying my football."

From SkySports

Man City v Charlton preview

Manchester City entertain fellow strugglers Charlton in front of the PremPlus cameras on Good Friday, with the game billed as the proverbial six-pointer.

The two sides head into the game in fine form, as Charlton have raised hope of survival with a run of three wins from four games, while City have won their two most recent outings to put daylight between themselves and the drop zone.

There is confidence coursing through the Charlton camp and manager Alan Pardew has targeted climbing out of the drop zone over the Easter period.

Such a statement would seem to suggest that his charges will head to Eastlands with victory on their minds.

Darren Bent showed he had recovered from injury with the goal in the win over Wigan last week and he will spearhead the attack in confident mood, having scored the only goal of the game in the reverse fixture in November.

Ben Thatcher is fit again following a knee injury and he will be desperate to impress against his former paymasters. Should he be handed a start, Hermann Hreidarsson will revert to a central-defensive role alongside Souleymane Diawara.

Alexandre Song impressed against Wigan and is set to retain his place, but Andy Reid will play no part after being ruled out for the season.

City chief Stuart Pearce seems set to be without England defender Micah Richards, but Nedum Onuoha has impressed in his absence and will continue at right-back.

Stephen Ireland is hopeful of shaking off a bug to figure, but Dietmar Hamann is doubtful with an ankle complaint.

Emile Mpenza has scored in the recent wins over Middlesbrough and Newcastle and seems set to retain his place in attack, with Darius Vassell, Bernardo Corradi and Georgios Samaras pushing for a place alongside the Belgian

• Like 1

From City's web site

Nedum targets the busy Easter period

Nedum Onuoha is looking to play a full part in moving City further away from the relegation zone over the Easter weekend.

The 20-year-old returned to the first team after a two-month long injury absence in last Saturday’s win at Newcastle, but he’s fully aware that City still need to dig deep, against Charlton on Friday and then away to Fulham on Monday.

Nedum says: “At the end of the season things don’t make a lot of sense. Teams that haven’t won all season start to win, but hopefully we’ll get a win to really separate ourselves from the rest of the teams below us.

“Since we are at home we should really be going for the win, a draw might not be the worst result but I think we must go out to get the win.

“In a way you want to plan ahead but you have to take each game as it comes, especially at this stage of the season. That said, Fulham do have good home form, but Newcastle did before last Saturday so maybe we can win there as well.”

The England Under 21 defender, who was a mainstay of the City side in their good run over Christmas and New Year, thinks that a mixture of better luck and better communications have both boosted the side’s results over the last two games.

“There’s some good fortune but sometimes it’s down to good organisation as well. Sometimes you’re not fortunate because people might not be where they are meant to be because of communications, but the team’s been better as a whole because we have communicated well of late.”

Nedum, speaking to Channel M’s ‘Inside MCFC’ programme, met the legendary Eusebio at this week’s City Academy lunch, an experience that he found hard to describe.

“I never thought I would find myself sitting next to Eusebio, but now it’s happened I don’t really know what to say, I was lost for words. You can mention him in the same breath as Pele, to be close to someone like that is fantastic.”

• Like 1

Well, watched the game last night and we should of sewn it up in the first half. Again, our weakness is the inability to finish. :D

I partly agree, but I dont think we created enough chances.

I liked it better when Hamann played which allowed Johnson to be more attacking.

I dont like playing Ireland and Johnson at the same time just yet.

I thought Vassell had one of his quieter games, and I just wish Barton could be more accurate from dead ball situations.

We should have won, but we didnt, however I think it is a good result as we are still 6 points ahread of Charlton and Sheff Utd with a better goal difference.

Roll on next season :o

Well, watched the game last night and we should of sewn it up in the first half. Again, our weakness is the inability to finish. :o

Needless to say that won't be a problem against us... :D

However, having watched the game you really should have taken all the points. You'll not be relegated of that I'm sure.. but what do you think is required to make next season more successful?

Needless to say that won't be a problem against us... :o

However, having watched the game you really should have taken all the points. You'll not be relegated of that I'm sure.. but what do you think is required to make next season more successful?

Cheers Mucky :D

Personally i think we've done pretty well in defence and midfield but could do with a bit more creativity in midfield. We're creating chances but i think we're just missing the killer instinct that good strikers have, so we need to purchase one or two but don't really need to tinker with anythiung else. IMO

• Like 1

Didn't see the game as i was away in Pattaya with the family (actually saw the last 2 minutes plus extra time), who was our star man (read Sun in some reports) and who were the performers?

Can't help thinking that one more win and we're safe - lets get that point or more tonight (9pm on Star i think).

See ManUre are making a game of it and teasing chelski.

Roll on next season :o

I seem to wish that every year, at this time of the season :D

ditto, yet another mediocre mid-table yawn of a season..

I have heard though that some money from a foreign investor is forthcoming in the summer

We shall see - probably more tabloid tittle-tattle

Didn't see the game as i was away in Pattaya with the family (actually saw the last 2 minutes plus extra time), who was our star man (read Sun in some reports) and who were the performers?

anybody who saw the game can you answer please?

THe first half we were all over the addicks like a cheap suit, I predicted 3-0 at half time - then we took our foot off the gas 2nd half - no real chances from either side to mention, they also need to let someone other than Barton have a go on the set pieces including the corners - I like Barton for his battling but im sure they are others who can do just as good if not better at free kicks/ corners.

JMO

THe first half we were all over the addicks like a cheap suit, I predicted 3-0 at half time - then we took our foot off the gas 2nd half - no real chances from either side to mention, they also need to let someone other than Barton have a go on the set pieces including the corners - I like Barton for his battling but im sure they are others who can do just as good if not better at free kicks/ corners.

JMO

Thanks for that.

Bet every Blue agrees with your comment on Barton & free-kicks; its always the same one he does as well, floated to the usual suspects coming in backstick. I'd be amazed if Ball or Ireland to name two are not a better deadball kicker and why not use a left footer from time to time, not always to head, the occasional short ball or to a wide man, or a blast (Dunney)...see you've got me started now, <deleted>!

JMO

Thanks for that.

Bet every Blue agrees with your comment on Barton & free-kicks; its always the same one he does as well, floated to the usual suspects coming in backstick. I'd be amazed if Ball or Ireland to name two are not a better deadball kicker and why not use a left footer from time to time, not always to head, the occasional short ball or to a wide man, or a blast (Dunney)...see you've got me started now, <deleted>!

And another thing ... :D

BTW I met some Italians the other night, I thanked them for Corradi :o they laughed at the signing when it happened so they said :D

JMO

Thanks for that.

BTW I met some Italians the other night, I thanked them for Corradi :o they laughed at the signing when it happened so they said :D

Corradi, is he the slowest city player since Tommy Booth? Mind, have you seen his girlfriend, cor!

JMO

Thanks for that.

Corradi, is he the slowest city player since Tommy Booth? Mind, have you seen his girlfriend, cor!

Hiya Bred. Here are the player ratings from skysports. The figure's in red are ratings from supporters. I agree about Mpenza, looks good, works hard, just hope that the finishing will come quickly. I also agree with you about Barton, we need to mix it up a bit.

Andreas Isaksson

Untroubled 6 6.7

Nedum Onuoha

Promising 7 7.5

Richard Dunne

Strong 7 7.7

Sylvain Distin

Solid 7 7.6

Michael Ball

Reasonable 6 6.9

Michael Johnson

Learning 6 6.9

Sun Jihai

Tried 5 7.2

Joey Barton

Disappointing 5 6.9

Stephen Ireland

In and out 6 6.6

Darius Vassell

Anonymous 5 5.6

Emile Mpenza

Worked hard 8 8.1

Trevor Sinclair

(SUB) Decent impact 6 5.8

Georgios Samaras

(SUB) Late header 6 5.4

• Like 1

Hiya Bred. Here are the player ratings from skysports. The figure's in red are ratings from supporters. I agree about Mpenza, looks good, works hard, just hope that the finishing will come quickly. I also agree with you about Barton, we need to mix it up a bit.

Andreas Isaksson

Untroubled 6 6.7

Nedum Onuoha

Promising 7 7.5

Richard Dunne

Strong 7 7.7

Sylvain Distin

Solid 7 7.6

Michael Ball

Reasonable 6 6.9

Michael Johnson

Learning 6 6.9

Sun Jihai

Tried 5 7.2

Joey Barton

Disappointing 5 6.9

Stephen Ireland

In and out 6 6.6

Darius Vassell

Anonymous 5 5.6

Emile Mpenza

Worked hard 8 8.1

Trevor Sinclair

(SUB) Decent impact 6 5.8

Georgios Samaras

(SUB) Late header 6 5.4

Thanks for that.

I really can't understand why we don't sign up Needles Mpenza and Bobby Ball - Everton will snatch the latter if we're not careful. Sign up NOW!

I really can't understand why we don't sign up Needles Mpenza and Bobby Ball - Everton will snatch the latter if we're not careful. Sign up NOW!

It looks like he's trying to do something about Mpenza. From skysports:-

Pearce: Mpenza talks imminent

Stuart Pearce has revealed that Manchester City will look to commence talks regarding a longer deal for Emile Mpenza in the next week.

The Belgian striker has made a positive impression since arriving at Eastlands in February and put in another impressive display in the 0-0 draw with Charlton on Good Friday.

With two goals in four Premiership games, Mpenza has already scored more league goals than Darius Vassell and just one less than Bernardo Corradi.

Pearce has made no secret of the fact that he is hoping to strengthen his strikeforce in the summer and has now brought forward planned talks with Mpenza in order to discuss his long term future.

"All being well, this week we will speak to him and his representatives," said Pearce in the Daily Star.

"He has done extremely well.

"Against Charlton, he put in another performance of the type that said 'I want to stay at this club'."

• Like 1

And more from Pearcey on spending:-

Pearce wants to see City spend

Stuart Pearce has told his Manchester City paymasters they will have to loosen the purse-strings next season if the club are to improve their league position.

A three-game unbeaten run has given City some much needed breathing space at the bottom of the table and now Pearce has turned his attentions to next season's campaign.

City have suffered chronic shortcomings up front in recent months and the Eastlands chief is hoping to bring in a number of new faces if, as expected, the club secure their top flight status in the next seven games.

However, Pearce has warned that the City board will have to abandon their frugal approach and entrust him with more transfer funds if the club are to improve their stature in the Premiership.

"Over the last two years, we have tightened our belts and steadied the ship financially," said Pearce.

"Now, in the summer, we will probably need to speculate a little bit more and say right, we are going to improve the squad.

"There is a lot of ability in the squad at the moment. We probably need to add two or three players in key positions to really drive us forward."

One player who could be leaving Eastlands is defender Sylvain Distin as the Frenchman's current deal expires at the end of the season and he has shown little inclination to sign a new contract.

However, Pearce has rejected suggestions that Distin's performances have suffered as a result of the speculation regarding his future.

"When people suggest to me Sylvain will take his eye off the ball because of contractual issues, they don't know him," Pearce added.

"Together with Richard Dunne, he is a colossus in our team.

"They are the ones who give us a platform. They play every game. They enjoy playing with each other and they have a great deal of respect throughout this football club."

• Like 1

And more:-

Pearce targets new striker

Stuart Pearce admits attack is the key area of the Manchester City team which needs strengthening in the summer.

Only Watford have a worse goalscoring record in the Premiership this season, with City having scored 23 goals in 31 matches.

Bernardo Corradi, Paul Dickov, Emile Mpenza, Georgios Samaras and Darius Vassell have mustered just 10 goals between them, and Pearce is aware of the need to improve his front line.

Belgium international Mpenza is likely to be offered an extension to stay at City, but Pearce will not stop there in his recruitment drive.

"I am acutely aware, as any neutral who comes to watch would be, where we need to strengthen our team," said Pearce.

"We have to make every effort we possibly can to do so in the summer.

"I have to add a few more goals to our tally. That is the key area without a doubt."

Pearce, though, also intimated that his efforts to inject more potency into his attack could be hindered by a lack of clout in the transfer market.

He added: "When we went into this season our outgoings were £500,000.

"There are a lot of teams below us in this league who have spent £20million. That tells you a story in itself."

• Like 1

What a difference a month makes, eh! Five decent displays starting with Chelsea. 3 away wins on the bounce for the first time in the Premier. The most clean sheets ever (13 so far) in our premier seasons -shame we couldn't score or we'd be in the 6 to 10 range of teams. Suddenly we look like a team. What was the catalyst? Mpensa maybe.

There was a period of the game last night when i actually enjoyed watching City again.

The Press seem to be giving MoM to Joey, but i thought Dunne above Distin, then Sun and Nedum were all top marks, but everybody had a decent game. Well done SP and the players for turning it round!