Manchester City

mrbojangles

It's good to see our academy is producing some good young talent. From the BBC:

Norwich recruit Man City striker

Norwich City have completed the loan signing of Manchester City striker Ched Evans until 1 January.

Evans made his senior debut for the Premiership side in the 1-0 Carling Cup win against the Canaries in September.

The 18-year-old scored a hat-trick for Wales on Tuesday in the 4-2 win against France in their Under-21 Uefa Championship qualifier in Cardiff.

"It's a great opportunity to play in the Championship and at a good level of football," he told Norwich's website.

Evans has scored 12 goals in eight starts for the reserves this season.

Your mate is obviosly a romantic...and needs to get a grip if he REALLY is a City fan!

David Bennett (and his brother who ended up at Sunderland for many years), good player but a bit lightweight.

I arrested them both back in the 80s for nicking a car.

Dave was a right laugh, but Gary was sullen, chip on his shoulder type of guy :o

Sod the football, tell us more about this story!

Your mate is obviosly a romantic...and needs to get a grip if he REALLY is a City fan!

David Bennett (and his brother who ended up at Sunderland for many years), good player but a bit lightweight.

I arrested them both back in the 80s for nicking a car.

Dave was a right laugh, but Gary was sullen, chip on his shoulder type of guy :o

Sod the football, tell us more about this story!

It was what they called in those days a 'Technical TWOC' (take without owners consent).It was a hire car which they basically decided to keep/couldnt be arsed taking back :D

I cant go into too much details for obvious reasons, but they both pleaded guilty.

Dave was a bit of a lad, brought up around Beswick. Gary, I didnt know, :D but a strange character

Mr BJ invited me to get writing about Man City and coincidentally ZukiSuzuki's recent piece about his friends predicament following the Thaksin take-over, got me thinking about another small example of ambivalence that I came across recently.

I was driving in far-off Isaan when I was stopped at a quiet check-point by the Boys in Brown.

After one of them checked my licence and passport and asked the usual questions about where I was coming from and going to, he became quite chatty. He spoke good English and wanted to hear about my family, what I had worked at back in the UK, etc. For my part I was happy to chat along. There weren't any other vehicles on the road to concern them so his two mates, who were clearly impressed by his language skills, came over to listen in to the conversation.

Then, out of the blue, came his question that momentarily stopped me in my tracks.

"What football team do you support?" Hardly one you would expect from a copper back home but 'this is Thailand'!

I thought Man City, then immediately thought Thaksin, then remembered that it was men in uniform who had ousted him and as the BIB stood there, hand resting on his side-arm and his two burly mates at his shoulders, visions of a wrong answer and Rodney King flashed in front of my eyes!

But I wasn't going to deny my idols. So I said "For many years I have supported Manchester City."

He stiffened slightly and there was a long silence. Then he said "Do you know that Manchester City now belongs to a Thai man?"

No mention was made of the good Doctor Frank's name.

I mumbled something non-committal about maybe having heard something about that a while back and then he said with great authority, "Before that they are no good. Then Thai man buy. Now they are good."

There wasn't much arguing with that so I just nodded wisely.

Another long silence and he said solemnly with a dismissive wave of his hand "You can go now."

As I drove off I had the feeling that there was a man with a dilemma. He clearly wasn't a fan of Thaksin but yet he was proud and impressed that a Thai was having an impact on the Premiership. I wondered if there were many in the same situation.

Obviously there will be plenty still loyal to Thaksin who will be happy to see City doing well but what about all the others - including those fanatics who always like to support the winning team - what will they do in a year or two when City really get going and begin to replace the red shirts at the top of tables and in all the finals?

I know exactly what you mean LawLing. I had a similar experience a couple of months ago in Chaiyaphum. The only difference was, i had my wifes 2 brothers (Thai) with me and they were both wearing Man City shirts :o Everytime i go out there i give them some of my old shirts, they wear them anyway but now Thaksin own's City they have become "supporter's". We all chatted with the Police quite happily but they couldn't understand why i wasn't wearing one :D

I think we farang are guilty as being too sensitive as to what the Thai's might think but in my experience upto now, they really don't care (or seem to)

From skysports:-

Man City v Reading preview

City hope for eight from eight, while Reading eye first away win

Reading look to end Manchester City's 100 per cent home record as Steve Coppell's side seek a first away win of the season.

City have been imperious at home since Sven Goran Eriksson took charge, but Coppell is heading to the City of Manchester Stadium in confident mood.

Coppell will use the possibility of being the first team to take points off City at Eastlands as motivation for the game as he hopes for an end to his own club's travel sickness.

Since drawing 0-0 at champions Manchester United on the opening weekend of the campaign, Reading have lost all five away league matches, conceding 19 goals in the process.

The Royals have mixed news on the injury front, with Ibrahima Sonko expected to start after shaking off a minor groin complaint.

But fellow centre-half Michael Duberry will miss out due to cracked ribs - an injury which saw him sit out the 3-1 defeat to Arsenal last time.

Leroy Lita is also unlikely to be included in Coppell's plans, so Kevin Doyle and Dave Kitson should continue in attack.

City are seven from seven at home in the league this season and Eriksson will be expecting to collect another three points on Saturday.

Captain Richard Dunne should be available after a calf injury prevented him from playing for Republic of Ireland against Wales last week.

The home side are without youngsters Nedum Onuoha and Michael Johnson, but both players could be available for next weekend's game with Wigan Athletic.

Eriksson will also assess the condition of Brazilian playmaker Elano, who is not due back in Manchester until Friday following his World Cup qualifying commitments.

Bulgarian striker Valeri Bojinov is back in light training after his knee injury, but is still a few weeks away from a first-team comeback.

He may have a point but i wish he wouldn't say things like this.

From the BBC:-

Corluka crows over England exit

Defender feels England underestimated Croatia

Croatia defender Vedran Corluka has revealed it was a 'pleasure' to prevent England from qualifying for Euro 2008.

Corluka played a key role in Croatia's 3-2 victory at Wembley on Wednesday, a result that allowed Russia to move above England and clinch second spot in Group E.

The right-back feels England paid the price for overconfidence and not giving enough respect to their opponents.

And he was thrilled that Croatia kept their focus and proved they deserved to go through ahead of England.

"England got exactly what they deserved because they were unbelievably arrogant to us," the Manchester City man told The Sun.

"Their behaviour was a disgrace. We arrived at Wembley as the group leaders but England never recognised our ability or our quality.

"But on the night we showed that we are a better team than them.

"It has been a special pleasure to kick England out of the European Championship."

From the BBC:-

Corluka crows over England exit

Defender feels England underestimated Croatia

Croatia defender Vedran Corluka has revealed it was a 'pleasure' to prevent England from qualifying for Euro 2008.

Corluka played a key role in Croatia's 3-2 victory at Wembley on Wednesday, a result that allowed Russia to move above England and clinch second spot in Group E.

The right-back feels England paid the price for overconfidence and not giving enough respect to their opponents.

And he was thrilled that Croatia kept their focus and proved they deserved to go through ahead of England.

"England got exactly what they deserved because they were unbelievably arrogant to us," the Manchester City man told The Sun.

"Their behaviour was a disgrace. We arrived at Wembley as the group leaders but England never recognised our ability or our quality.

"But on the night we showed that we are a better team than them.

"It has been a special pleasure to kick England out of the European Championship."

Indeed Mr Bo not the way to ingraciate yourself to the English public may get a few boos at away games now...but then again it seems that you English are equally pissed off with your national team

Indeed Mr Bo not the way to ingraciate yourself to the English public may get a few boos at away games now...but then again it seems that you English are equally pissed off with your national team

Tot, today i have my Irish head on. I've got an Irish passport you know :o:D

:D Very good Mr Bo.Out of curiosity which passport are you going to use now to travel?I too have both British and Irish however i nearly always travel on the Irish

Edited by totlanh

:D Very good Mr Bo.Out of curiosity which passport are you going to use now to travel?I too have both British and Irish however i nearly always travel on the Irish

Well my UK one is nearly full and expires in about 18 months, so i'll be using my Irish one full time soon. I read somewhere, on here i think. That the Irish and New Zealand passports are apparently the safest passports in the world to travel with. I'll have to try and google it.

Tot, today i have my Irish head on. I've got an Irish passport you know :D:D

That the Irish and New Zealand passports are apparently the safest passports in the world to travel with. I'll have to try and google it.

Even sounding like an Irishman now :o

Chock Dee for today Mr.B.

But you know we REALLY want to spoil your 100% record.

The team is up for it, the fans will be up for it.....and paying a third of what they normally pay to travel to the game thanks to the players .

We did the double over City last season and have a great record there going back years.

I really think this will be a close run thing.

I know you have a soft spot for the Royals, as I have for City, but lets put all that aside today....we really need a win :o

But I dont think we'll get it :D

Just don't put too many past us....PLEASE

Chock Dee for today Mr.B.

But you know we REALLY want to spoil your 100% record.

The team is up for it, the fans will be up for it.....and paying a third of what they normally pay to travel to the game thanks to the players .

We did the double over City last season and have a great record there going back years.

I really think this will be a close run thing.

I know you have a soft spot for the Royals, as I have for City, but lets put all that aside today....we really need a win :o

Chok Dee to you too TP :D

That's a good gesture from the players. More clubs should do the same.

Unfortunately we have to go to war again today but no matter what the result TP, business will be resumed as normal tomorrow :D

It will be a tough one and i hope we continue our 100% record but good luck to you guys

Starting from TOMORROW :D

Eriksson: Isaksson stays

Goalkeeping duo set to stay at Eastlands despite speculation

Sven-Goran Eriksson says keepers Andreas Isaksson and Joe Hart are staying at Manchester City.

Sweden international Isaksson has been linked with a cut-price move to Galatasaray, while speculation has suggested that Liverpool are preparing a bid for Hart, the current England Under-21 keeper.

However, Eriksson, who also has Kasper Schmeichel out on loan at Cardiff, says neither player will be leaving when the transfer window opens in January.

Isaksson will start the Premier League match against Reading on Saturday, ousting Hart despite his clean sheet in the draw at Portsmouth a fortnight ago.

The Swede has struggled with injuries since his £2m move from Rennes in the summer of 2006 and Turkish media reports claim he will move to Istanbul for £1.3m.

Eriksson said that figure is well below City's valuation and added: "The sales usually start after Christmas, not before.

"Andreas is worth much more than £1.3million. I understand Andreas wants first-team football. He is looking at Euro 2008 next summer and of course, he is afraid to miss it.

"He has been a regular for Sweden for years now and has done very well.

"My problem is that I have three very good goalkeepers, who all want to play, although I can say that at 3pm on Saturday, Andreas will be very happy."

Hart has emerged as one of the best young 'keepers in the country and it is little wonder the former Shrewsbury star is being linked with a move to Anfield.

Yet Eriksson has warned Rafael Benitez he would have to delve deep into the pockets of co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks if he were to stand any chance at all of signing the 20-year-old.

"The money would have to be extremely high to buy Joe Hart," he said.

"He is one of the most talented goalkeepers in this country and he will stay here"

Absolutely Scouse. To be fair we did deserve the win (sorry TP :o ) although it was a very late one. I'll take it though. :D

I'll have to watch it on match of the day but that foul by Hunt (i think) was absolutely horrendous on Fernandez. Should easily have been a Red but like i say, i will have to watch it again.

Oh happy days :D

Absolutely Scouse. To be fair we did deserve the win (sorry TP :D ) although it was a very late one. I'll take it though. :D

I'll have to watch it on match of the day but that foul by Hunt (i think) was absolutely horrendous on Fernandez. Should easily have been a Red but like i say, i will have to watch it again.

Oh happy days :D

Oh Happy Days indeed Mr.B. :bah:

I was in a club enjoying Loy Krathong, they were showing the United game, after that finished I went for a leak, happy and content in the knowledge that we had got a draw.

Percy Porcelien in hand I heard my phone ring...my Son ...just thought he was confirming the result...the profanities that came out of that packed bog when he told me the news would have made any man embarrassed, I really had to concentrate on the job in hand and prevent myself from missing the target (as Reading seemed to be prolific at after reading this mornings reports.) Back to the table head in hands...and we had already finished off a bottle of Red Label, so no chance to drown my sorrows :D

Still a defeat's a defeat . We've scored last gasp winners before, so you give it...you gotta take it. I saw the goals later and have to say Ireland's was a peach. Harper's wasn't bad either.

Having said all this .....I never expected to get anything out of this one anyway, fortunatley for us only Bolton below us won, so as long as everyone else is playing crap too we will still survive :bah:

I'll have to do a "Wenger" on the Hunt incident "I didn't see it"

So well done Mr.B and City.......we've got Boro at home next week so I'm sure we will get the points there before we go to Liverpool :o

Hope you give the "Big Boys" a real run for their money

Hope you give the "Big Boys" a real run for their money

Cheers for that TP. To be honest i just can't believe that we are still going strong. It is indeed happy days at the moment :o

As for the tackle, i've just got up to watch the repeat of MOD, didn;t watch it last night as i went out. So i'll report back later.

Match report from the BBC:-

Man City 2-1 Reading

Stephen Ireland smashed home a stunning injury-time volley to break Reading hearts and maintain Manchester City's 100% league record at Eastlands.

City dominated the opening half and Martin Petrov fired them ahead after a goalmouth melee saw Elano hit the post.

But Reading equalised before the break with their first shot on target, James Harper curling in after a neat move.

Geovanni wasted a glorious late chance for the home side before Ireland's spectacular winner.

The result was harsh on Reading who gave a much-improved second-half display.

City looked like they would win at a canter after a bright and inventive start which saw them take the lead after 11 minutes.

The home side cleverly worked space for Ireland on the right flank and after an almighty scramble which saw Elano hit the post, Petrov smashed the ball home from six yards.

That should have been the cue for Sven-Goran Eriksson's men to go on and wrap up the points before the break as they continued to dominate possession.

Reading seemed content to back off and Elano was given time and space to probe away at the Royals rearguard.

But for all their territorial advantage and patient football, City struggled to create chances and they began to lose their sense of urgency as the game wore on.

Reading had barely ventured into City's half during an almost anonymous opening 40 minutes with Bobby Convey's miscued volley from 20 yards their only shot at goal.

But with two minutes of the first period remaining Harper levelled with a precise finish, neatly guiding the ball home with his instep following Convey's pass.

The pace of the game increased after the break with Reading pressing much further up the pitch.

But still the chances failed to materialise.

The lively Stephen Hunt was lucky to stay on the pitch for a nasty, studs-up lunge on Manchester City substitute Gelson Fernandes.

City slowly began to get on top again and Geovanni blazed over from 25 yards and Georgios Samaras, a half-time replacement for the ineffective Emile Mpenza, had a great chance to secure the points but could not divert the ball past Marcus Hahnemann.

Geovanni then seemed to blow City's hopes of extending their fine home record when he shot over late on.

But deep into injury-time, Ireland raced into the box and showed wonderful technique to meet Geovanni's header on the run and crash a superb volley past Hahnemann.

#

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson on matchwinner Stephen Ireland:

"It was a great goal from Stephen. He is playing better and better, which is fantastic. Samaras played his part as did Geovanni.

"I did not expect it, especially as Geovanni had missed a great chance just a minute earlier.

"He was like a second striker near the end. Maybe that is his best position. Stephen is young, talented and has a long career in front of him."

#

Reading boss Steve Coppell:

"We contributed fully to the game and it was hard to concede a goal so late on in the match.

"We went a goal down but knew that we would get a chance to get back into the match and when we equalised felt we'd get at least a point.

"The ironic thing was that all the delightful football they play they got the winner with a long ball."

The table looks good doesn't it :o

...Team............P......PTS

1 Arsenal..........13.... 33

2 Man Utd.........14.....30

3 Man City........14.....29

4 Chelsea.........14.....28

5 Liverpool........13.....27

6 Portsmouth.....14.....26

Edited by mrbojangles

The table looks good doesn't it :D

... it will look even better once Liverpool win their game in hand and the gooners lose theirs :o /

The table looks good doesn't it :D

... it will look even better once Liverpool win their game in hand and the gooners lose theirs :o /

:D

views from the papers:-

Some City make it eight out of eight

The Sunday Times look back at yesterday's eighth win at home and of course that goal...

'Stephen Ireland’s late strike preserves City’s home record'

Man City 2 Reading 1

WHEN Manchester City’s Brazilian Geovanni, wasted a palpable chance in stoppage time, there seemed no prospect of City taking all three points. Yet back they came and after a couple of headers set him free, Stephen Ireland drove home a thundering and dramatic winner.

Though Reading’s big redheaded striker Dave Kitson had a header from Stephen Hunt’s header comfortably saved by the City keeper, Andreas Isaksson, it was City who took up the running. And City, after a number of fluid, promising movements, reinforced their spearhead, the much travelled, experienced Emile Mpenza, who took the lead after 11 minutes.

It all began on City’s right flank with Richard Dunne, their centre-back and captain, making light of his years. He found Vedran Corluka, last seen the previous Wednesday night at Wembley coping easily with England’s efforts. Corluka in turn found Ireland, whose cross caused confusion in the Reading goalmouth. Elano, that elegant Brazilian midfielder, hit the post, and was then frustrated by Reading’s American goalkeeper, Marcus Hahnemann, who then blocked Mpenza’s point-blank drive, only for the skilful Bulgarian left-winger, Martin Petrov, to drive unforgivingly home.

Until the last minute or two of the half, you would hardly have given a prayer for Reading’s chances of taking anything from the match. Ineffectual was the word that came to mind. Using the Irishman Hunt on the right wing rather than in his customary position on the left seemed to have blunted his effectiveness, while on Hunt’s usual left flank the American international Bobby Convey lost the ball consistently whenever he tried to take on the imposing defenders, of whom eventually Corluka would be forced off after twice being injured.

But for all their territorial supremacy, Manchester City, after their bright start and their early goal, were not making any more chances of consequence. This, as often happens, puts teams in a dangerous situation in football, and so, most unsurprisingly, it would prove here.

In the 43rd minute, another Irish attacker in the Reading ranks, Kevin Doyle, took advantage of a fortunate rebound as he made his way through, moved the ball on to Convey, whose telling pass allowed James Harper to come thundering in and thrash his powerful shot past Isaksson for the equaliser.

Goals change the profile of the game, and so it proved yesterday, with Reading, in the second half, showing more vitality and challenge. This was sometime to excess, such as the reckless foul by Hunt on Gelson Fernandes, which deservedly brought him a yellow card.

Manchester City, for their part, had taken off Mpenza, at the interval, replacing him with the Greek striker Georgios Samaras.

But it was a later substitute in Geovanni, replacing his Brazilian compatriot, Elano, who brought a sharper edge into City’s attack, notably with a fierce right-footed shot from well out that whizzed over the Reading crossbar. After 72 minutes, City nearly doubled their score. An excellent forward pass by Petrov sent Geovanni away, but the Reading keeper, Hahnemann, was quick off his line to block the ensuing shot at close quarters.

Desperate to score the winner, City even saw Micah Richards, the precocious young England defender, advancing from centre-back as far as the Reading penalty area, but when Ireland shrewdly played him the ball, he could do no better than put it wide.

As for Reading, their defence coped well with the City attack and you did wonder whether the City manager Sven-Göran Eriksson, might have risked putting another striker up alongside Samaras.

Meanwhile, Geovanni continued to work hard and intelligently in midfield, moving up front when he could, but by and large, a draw, as the minutes kicked by, seemed to be an inevitability.

On 85 minutes Reading brought on their young Irish striker, Shane Long, who, one recalls, had scored a breathlessly late goal as a substitute to win the home game against Newcastle United.

Overall, it had been a game of sparse excitement and little in the way of scoring chances. Perhaps City are missing the exuberance of another of their young home-grown players, Michael Johnson, who is injured.

Even Geovanni at the end lost the ball in his own half to Reading’s overlapping Graeme Murty, but his cross would lead only to a corner. But in stoppage time, City, football being the game that it is, should have won this match, and the culpirt was no other than Geovanni.

An excellent pass from Dietmar Hamann sent Geovanni clear. Surely that right foot was now going to do justice, but as Hahnemann advanced towards him, the Brazilian hammered the ball over. Yet City still had a shot, quite literally, in their locker, When Sun Jihai played the ball into the box, Samaras got his head to the ball, Geovanni headed on in turn, and Ireland smashed his shot home. A close-run thing indeed.

Star man: Dunne (Man City)

Player ratings: Man City: Isaksson 6, Richards 6, Ireland 7, Mpenza 6, Elano 6 (sub 59 Geovanni 6), Petrov 7, Corluka 7, Hamann 6, Dunne (Starman) 7, Garrido 6, Fernades 6 Samaras (sub ht) 6

Reading: Hanemann 7, Murty 6, Shorey 6, Sonko 7, Gunnarnnon 6, Doyle 6, Hunt 6, Kitson 6, Harper 7, Ingimarsson 6, Convey 6, (Sub 85mins Long (6) for Doyle

The Sunday People bring us a bit of transfer news...

'Sam the man for Lazio'

MANCHESTER City flop Georgios Samaras could be offered a way out of his Eastlands nightmare by Italian club Lazio. Samaras has scored 12 goals in 63 appearances since signings from Dutch side Heerenveen in 2006 for £6million.

The Greek international has only started two league games under Sven-Goran Eriksson. Lazio are in discussions to lure him. :o

The Observer carry a season review thus far...with City prominent...

'The season at a glance'

Three months in, this year's Premier League is shaping up to be a classic. Here are the stars, the stats and, of course, the Sven

Manchester City have been the surprise package and would dominate any list of inspired summer signings - Elano, Martin Petrov and Vedran Corluka - while Micah Richards and Michael Johnson are both teenagers who are potentially good enough to captain their country.

Elano Blumer (Man City): The best Brazilian you've never heard of, until now. Came from nowhere - also known as Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine - but you'd think this was his third or fourth season in England. Has a happy knack of scoring nothing but beautiful goals. And he hasn't complained about the Manchester drizzle once. :D

Eriksson eyes happy New Year

City boss expects new signings in January

post-19542-1196074607_thumb.jpg

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is hopeful the only way is up at Eastlands when fresh faces arrive in the New Year.

City continued their 100 per cent home record on Saturday when a spectacular late Stephen Ireland strike secured a 2-1 win over Reading.

The three points see City sat in third place in the Premier League, only one point behind Manchester rivals United.

While, Eriksson has played down talk of a title tilt in the second half of the season, the Swede is hopeful City can continue to impress when new signings arrive in the January transfer window.

Eriksson, who took over as City boss in the summer, brought in a number of new recruits in the close season and he has hinted that there will soon be more signings.

"I hope to have a bigger and better squad after January so I don't want to say what we can achieve until then," said Eriksson in the Daily Mail.

"I am not talking about winning the league. Certainly we are not favourites.

"But it is good that the fans have all that expectation. Why shouldn't they dream and be happy over what we are doing?"

Mr BJ

Did you see the Guardian?

"After the riches that Thaksin Shinawatra has poured into the club the City fans remain in a state of suspended euphoria and, as such, their critical faculties have been dulled. In general terms this was a pretty rotten performance by the Blues, yet those supporters who had ripped into Stuart Pearce towards the end of his sorry term sat patiently with beatific smiles as passes went sideways and backwards. Third in the table and United losing at Bolton: life could scarcely be better.

It is all very odd for a club where dissatisfaction had become a way of life. Coppell, referring to his team's performance once James Harper had equalised Martin Petrov's early goal, talked about a "mentality to protect what you've got". As yet, because they are so flabbergasted, City fans appear virtually bereft of expectation, though this will change as the truth sinks in that they really can compete with Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal. For the moment there remains a deeply rooted worry that it could all go horribly wrong."

Are you one of the flabbergasted?

You would think from this that City was the only team to have had "riches" poured in. What about the money spent by the others?