In Penang now and nobody is getting a Education Visa, even a tourist visa is a big mess.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now they just announced that they will change the rules again and you can get your education visa in thailand in future.

I have never understood why the government now sends people abroad to do the extension. It is not even any advantage to Thailand:

a ) people spend money on carriers as Air Asia, none of the spent money for the trip goes to Thailand

b ) the flying burns petrol and adds CO2 for our heating planet

Before it was possible to do the visa within Thailand. Even if this money went to officials, the money still was in Thailand. Now it just goes into the air, into greenhouse gas. Who could want that?

Does anyone know if so forward the visa can be gotten within Thailand again?

This has not changed at all: visa are done outside of Thailand, extension at immigration offices inside Thailand.

And talk about air, that is just what this story is, a lot of hot air.

Many rules are plain stupid, such as the re-entry permit, that serves only to get extra money from people traveling outside Thailand.

Every week I read about people who lost their permit to stay when re-entering Thailand: they were not aware of the stupid money grabbing rule. Paying 1900B for your extension is not enough if you plan to have a trip to a neighboring country, Idem for the 90 days report: causes a lot of hassle for thousands of people with unknown benefits.

A long time ago I had a return ticket Europe-Singapore and planned to fly into Had Yai, travel overland to Songkhla, Phatthalung, Satun and take a boat to Langkawi and back to Singapore.

Thai Airways refused to sell my family a one way ticket into Hat Yai, they wanted me to buy a return ticket....

Caused me some headache and finally bought a ticket to Penang and had a taxi to drive me to the border with Sadao, had to sleep in a dump there (Thai border closed) and no transport to Hat Yai Sadao side. I did stop many buses but they had no seats available.

A lot of fuzz for that stupid rule you need a ticket OUT of Thailand to get the exemption stamp. I had a ticket out of Singapore but that was no excuse...

And still every day people here claiming you don't REALLY need a ticket out.

Franz Kafka is my friend.

I´ll ask again, would I be stupid to try to go to Penang to try to get a second tourist visa? I was there two months ago and got my first one for this Thailand trip.

-----------------------

I just got (about a week ago now) a double entry tourist visa from Savannakhet, Laos

No hassle, no funds needed to be shown, no onward ticket out of Thailand required, no problem.

Cost 2000 Baht.

You need to understand though that Savannakhet only issues a double entry tourist visa for 3 months validity from day of issue not 6 months as some other places.

If you can get past that fact, I recommend you try for that double entry visa number 2 in Savannakhet.

But whatever, it's your choice.

Just out of curiosity, the guys on an ED visa studying Muay Thai, do they have to do a demo for the immigration guys for an extension??

IF these Muay Thai students are fighting in stadium fights (paid or unpaid) does that constitute working, a violation of the ED Visa?

Do the instructors/trainers need to be qualified "teachers" by the M.O.E? is n´t such ED visas given by the M.O.E?

FYI. I have heard non native English Speakers can study English and get an ED VIsa, not sure if that is true or not.

Edited by DerekMarshall

There is so much going on here , nobody got their passports back and the immigration did not open this afternoon. Now they just announced that they will change the rules again and you can get your education visa in thailand in future. This must have been very stressful for everyone in the visa office here

Let's face it, we all know that many folks on 'Education Visa' use this loop hole as an excuse to stay on long term in Thailand, and many rarely if ever attend any classes.

And why would any so-called 'tourist' need to go down to KL for a tourist visa after the 2 + 1 month extension (maybe multiple) is finished.

I know there are many cases where folks are more of less staying in Thailand with there own personal funding, but I also know that there many (many) working here in Thailand. What are the authorities supposed to do to weed out those illegally working ?

Maybe by offering the 5 year visa @ 500,000 baht to prove that applicants do indeed have the private funding.

Lets face another reality. Lots of people use education visas to actually study. Sounds like a lot of those people are also getting dicked around. Clearly this is not a good situation.

It's good to tighten these rules.

It was a free for all and kept the drifters in.

Hopefully some will give up and get out.

Muay Thai training shouldn't be suitable for this visa.

Sent from my LG-D858

They really wanted Jujitsu lessons.

Why do people go to the most costly far out places to get visas and scream murder when they get stuck there?

Go home and your chances to get your visa sky rocket..whistling.gif

What was wrong with going to Vientiane where people have successfully been getting visa?

Cost mittens to get there.

Why do people go to the most costly far out places to get visas and scream murder when they get stuck there?

What was wrong with going to Vientiane where people have successfully been getting visa?

* distance Krabi - Penang ~400 km

* distance Krabi - Vientiane ~1'400 km

Now you know why wink.png

• Like 1

From what I have heard some language schools had all the paperwork done and ready for their students. And a couple days later the immigration office said they needed to approve the time table for the school and additional paperwork was needed. So if you got your documents and then headed to Penang it is possible that meanwhile there were new (enforced) requirements.

For those extending an education visa, in the past it could be done in Phuket. If additional paperwork was needed you could simply get it and be done with it. Now that one has to leave the country to extend a visa it is more problematic, especially if additional paperwork is needed.

One one hand a clamp down of visa rules is good to keep out unwanted criminals or people abusing the system. On the other hand those studying Thai and abiding all the laws (and not working ilegaly) are caught in the middle.

* distance Krabi - Penang ~400 km

* distance Krabi - Vientiane ~1'400 km

Now you know why wink.png

Add to that direct flights to Penang from Krabi, Phuket and Samui and you know why most people residing south of Bangkok will choose Penang for their visa applications.

Those without WN are asking other people on the bus for a loan until they get over the border. “

A 20,000 baht loan to a complete stranger without any guarantees you get it back?blink.png

Also I don't take buses or vans but if someone ask me for 20K I would show them a middle finger and tell them go work which I feel they actually do in Thailand.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1

Go home and your chances to get your visa sky rocket..whistling.gif

Cost mittens to get there.

Its the price and time. Flying to Vientiane is more expensive

• Like 1

I´ll ask again, would I be stupid to try to go to Penang to try to get a second tourist visa? I was there two months ago and got my first one for this Thailand trip.

You can extend for 30 days at Immigration, Bt 1,900. Then a better choice would be Laos for double entry tourist visa.

Thank you very much.

For those extending an education visa, in the past it could be done in Phuket. If additional paperwork was needed you could simply get it and be done with it. Now that one has to leave the country to extend a visa it is more problematic, especially if additional paperwork is needed.

It's still possible to extend, for 90 days at time and a maximum of one years from original entry. A new visa is needed after that.

Someone has been on an education visa for 30 years?

NO dont presume the worst of people. She had her own resort until recently and sold due to no bookings. She has been on Education visa for 1 year. She speaks fluent thai but wants to learn how to read and write.

There are many young people here, Lets keep to the point that they were not for-warned . Thailand allowed this behavior for many years so i think they should be a little more carful about making swift changes. I am also not against what the military are doing, but it is not good to leave so many people stranded like this..

There are no changes and the Visa on Arrival was never intended to be a series of Visa on Arrival indefinitely. One can still stay here On multiple Tourist Visas that can be activated 90 days at a time. These Visas can be obtained at Thai embassies and consulates world wide. Consult your friendly immigration official. Go talk to them as you would talk to a neighbour who is your host in his home. If you take an adversarial position , you will lose. Genuine Education Visas are still being honored. I have a friend who is here taking a 3 month massage course. One can still get a VOA. One can get a "O" visa Retirement extension renewed yearly. One can get a marriage visa. Get the Visa that is appropriate for your situation. I am afraid your whining over the inability to abuse the Visa on Arrival system will fall on deaf ears.

There are no changes and the Visa on Arrival was never intended to be a series of Visa on Arrival indefinitely.

You are talking about visa exempt entry. Not visa on arrival, that is something different.

You're obviously a cheapskate then if you can't see the value in the card and there is no point discussing this further.

Maybe your the criminal and are afraid to apply because of the police check.

Goodnight to you good sir.

I'm not a "cheapskate." I'm under 50, but over 45, so, really, a 5 year visa, at that price, is not a product I would consider as good value to me, especially with the risk attached to it.

As far as being a criminal, I've never come under notice of police here, or in my home country. I have no criminal record, and I do not work here illegally.

I have no problem presenting my fingerprints in Malaysia and Cambodia, as I have, many times, nor would I here.

I simply do not see the value in the product, but have no problem if you do, and no problem with those who have bought one.

The hiprocrisy for me is, if you are a visa runner, we are going to stop you, because you must be working here illegally, but if the same visa runners now pay 500,000 baht, we now welcome you and will let you stay for 5 years. Very funny if you ask me. Just another Thai money grab. biggrin.png

Once again, no sour grapes from me if I am rejected. As mentioned, I'm prepared for it, and I am half expecting it.

Good night to you HG.

Until next time. smile.png

I think it comes down to the point hat if you can afford and are willing to buy a EV, you are probably the kind of tourist Thailand wants in the country. If you are a cheap, barley make ends meet English teacher, or even someone who can afford it but wont (and is probably cheap in all other aspects of their stay in Thailand) they are happy to make your life hell.

Push comes to shove you will probably be buying the EV if you had no option. That is, if you can really afford it like you claim.

I think it comes down to the point hat if you can afford and are willing to buy a EV, you are probably the kind of tourist Thailand wants in the country. If you are a cheap, barley make ends meet English teacher, or even someone who can afford it but wont (and is probably cheap in all other aspects of their stay in Thailand) they are happy to make your life hell.

Push comes to shove you will probably be buying the EV if you had no option. That is, if you can really afford it like you claim.

It's hardly a hellish life to jump through a few hoops on tourist visas (no official limit, easy to get 3 back to back double entries in Vientiane then visit a consulate in one's home country for a triple entry, rinse and repeat, by the time it looks like you're taking the mickey it's time for a fresh passport renewal and clean slate anyway, those full page stickers eat up pages), get a bit of a grilling from the occasional IO, book travel on border runs and so on.

Just a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things considering we're allowed to live in this great country compared to the ones we left behind. What happened in Penang as described in this thread must have been pretty annoying but as I understand it, got resolved? And wouldn't have happened if the schools were MOE accredited? Other than that being on an Ed visa is pretty easy living.

If Thailand actually were happy to make life hell for us they remove visa exemption, do face to face interviews with anyone applying for a tourist visa and reject anyone who looks shifty, require proof of more funds than they do, and raise visa prices higher than they are, both are minimal.

jspill post # 209.

If Thailand actually were happy to make life hell for us they remove visa exemption, do face to face interviews with anyone applying for a tourist visa and reject anyone who looks shifty, require proof of more funds than they do, and raise visa prices higher than they are, both are minimal.

Be careful for what you wish for, deceitful acts invariably carry a final high price tag .

It's good to tighten these rules.

It was a free for all and kept the drifters in.

Hopefully some will give up and get out.

Muay Thai training shouldn't be suitable for this visa.

Sent from my LG-D858

Have you ever actually done any Muay Thai training ? Even kicking pads for 15 minutes will make you seriously reconsider your options if your main goal is to be able to stay in Thailand legally. Thailand may have taken the basis for their 'national sport' from Cambodia, but now it's recognised as an important part of Thai culture.