Expat arrested at Phuket Town Immigration for one day overstay

Just found out that a good friend of mine was arrested on Monday at Phuket Town Main Immigration on Monday for a one day over stay.

The guy is from the USA has been here a long time; he lost his passport about 3 weeks ago and was waiting for the replacement from the Embassy..

Don't know the details but the guy is an ex cop and is very law abiding, it's very strange as his Permission to Stay only (in the lost passport) only expired on Sunday 19th October and so Monday the 20th should not normally be penalised as Immigration are closed Sunday.

He is due in court today Wednesday 22nd October.

There has to be more to the story than just one day of overstay.

Obviously, but we don't know what.

The guy has a Work Permit and was on a 90 day entry using a One year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa obtained in Penang which was lost with his passport.

He also told me that the US Embassy would only issue him with a one year replacement due to embassy policy, as he had lost another passport in the US about 9 years ago.

Apparently the US Embassy has this strange policy.

Maybe it was the one year US passport that caused the problem.

I would certainly hope so as one day is generally allowed and 'written off' at the airport - I know this as I've deliberately done it myself in the past will full knowledge of the procedure.

If losing your passport results in arrest while waiting for a replacement then things are going to get ugly. You have to report loss of the passport to the police so they will have a list of exactly who does and doesn't have a passport based on the average passport replacement times.

For Brits this is about two months if you're lucky and can push many people into an involountary overstay situation which they will have trouble avoiding depending on when they lose the passport which is something that's entirely outside of their control.

I was under the impression that unlike the British the Americans are usually very prompt at issuing new passports unless there is a reason not to issue one.

Apparently there is no 'known' ongoing crackdown on anything except for multiple back to back Visa Exempt Entries...

The guy has a Work Permit and was on a 90 day entry using a One year Multiple Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa obtained in Penang which was lost with his passport.

He also told me that the US Embassy would only issue him with a one year replacement due to embassy policy, as he had lost another passport in the US about 9 years ago.

If he only had a multiple entry visa I am not sure what he hoped to accomplish at immigration other than a 7 day extension application and getting his previous entry stamped in his new passport.

The rules for the US are such that if you loose more than one passport they can refuse to issue a new 10 year passport and only do a one year passport.

I cannot see the one year passport being a problem at immigration.

If he only had a multiple entry visa I am not sure what he hoped to accomplish at immigration other than a 7 day extension application and getting his previous entry stamped in his new passport.

The rules for the US are such that if you loose more than one passport they can refuse to issue a new 10 year passport and only do a one year passport.

I cannot see the one year passport being a problem at immigration.

I think it was just that, he is certainly familiar with Thai immigration regulations, but my understanding is that the replacement passport was late arriving and that he was indeed trying to get the previous entry stamp details put into his new passport.

I have now removed a post twice for being off topic. Please do not post anything about the person that this topic is about that could possibly identify him in this topic. Also any posts referencing a news article will be removed.

I am allowing this topic to remain open but as soon as it goes off topic it will closed.

I recently applied for a new passport in Chiang Mai and it took one week from application until I received the email that I could pick it up. Maybe the complication of having lost two passports slowed it down.

Yes, the norm is 6-10 days from recent reports and one report less then that. Mine took 8 days just a few months ago to receive it. Also perhaps he went to immigration to get a 7 day extension until the issue with his passport was settled. But indeed, jailed for one day overstay and self reporting seems odd.

i post reasons why an my post is deleted,

'so why ask the question?

Your post had more than an answer it had info that would identify the person.

With respect, the person has already been identified via local online and print media, big pic and all huh.png And from what I've read, his background is entirely relevant to being incarcerated and awaiting prosecution for a measly one day overstay. Even at notorious Phuket Imm.

• Like 1

i post reasons why an my post is deleted,

'so why ask the question?

Your post had more than an answer it had info that would identify the person.

With respect, the person has already been identified via local online and print media, big pic and all huh.png And from what I've read, his background is entirely relevant to being incarcerated and awaiting prosecution for a measly one day overstay. Even at notorious Phuket Imm.

It forum policy not to post a persons identity in topics such as this one due possible defamation issues. We are not allowed to post the print media source you mentioned on the forum.

If he is a good friend of yours you should also know he was an active environmental campainer in Thailand.

.. and he might have made the unfortunate mistake of being at the immigration office when the lottery ticket sellers weren't around to distract the officers!

• Like 1

I would wait with speculating until you know exactly why he was arrested.

Sorry didn't know my post contained any speculation.

The guy was arrested at Phuket Immigration, did loose his passport, did have a permission to stay expiring on the 19th, is in jail and is due in court today.

Both in your title and in your first line you're speculating.

I know him but am not as close as you seem to be, do you have an update after today's courtcase?

The guy was arrested at Phuket Immigration, did loose his passport, did have a permission to stay expiring on the 19th, is in jail and is due in court today.

Both in your title and in your first line you're speculating.

I know him but am not as close as you seem to be, do you have an update after today's courtcase?

Looks like he pissed of some big people above the chain. Lets wait what the US Embassy can do for him tomorrow. but I shall guess he will go home and draw up his strategies back in the US.

There is something else out there you and US don't know. !!! INS won't put you in jail only for being late one day.

According to the new rules, if apprehended even for one day overstay, it is deporting and five year ban! Look it up the next time you go to immigration.

Those "It's about time!" turds still applauding for these new rules might not be so happy if this hits personally. This could happen to anybody, misread or remember incorrectly the last day in the stamp and accidentally then overstays few days. Really f*cked up rule. Then bad luck hits and police stops you, wants to see your passport and BAM!

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 2

It forum policy not to post a persons identity in topics such as this one due possible defamation issues. We are not allowed to post the print media source you mentioned on the forum.

And what media source is this? Or can you link me to some forum post about this?