Expat arrested at Phuket Town Immigration for one day overstay

It forum policy not to post a persons identity in topics such as this one due possible defamation issues. We are not allowed to post the print media source you mentioned on the forum.

And what media source is this? Or can you link me to some forum post about this?

See rule 26 of the Forum Rules .

• Like 1

With respect, the person has already been identified via local online and print media, big pic and all huh.png And from what I've read, his background is entirely relevant to being incarcerated and awaiting prosecution for a measly one day overstay. Even at notorious Phuket Imm.

It forum policy not to post a persons identity in topics such as this one due possible defamation issues. We are not allowed to post the print media source you mentioned on the forum.

The story is also on a competitor's site which cannot be linked to this forum. The one whose editor has enough defamation 'issues' of his own to deal with already.

He is due in court today Wednesday 22nd October.

Keeps us posted with exact information if possible, thanks.

I would wait with speculating until you know exactly why he was arrested.
Sorry didn't know my post contained any speculation.

The guy was arrested at Phuket Immigration, did loose his passport, did have a permission to stay expiring on the 19th, is in jail and is due in court today.

There is something else out there you and US don't know. !!! INS won't put you in jail only for being late one day.

this is why INS doesn't exist anymore since 9/11

Human rights are not really a big thing here and the deal is in Thailand overstay of a visa is a MAJOR offence. You personally might not agree - even using the words "law abiding" / "good citizen", etc to describe him - but in Thailand they have the option to hunt you down like a dog for even small overstay and don't care who you are.

• Like 1

According to the new rules, if apprehended even for one day overstay, it is deporting and five year ban! Look it up the next time you go to immigration.

Those "It's about time!" turds still applauding for these new rules might not be so happy if this hits personally. This could happen to anybody, misread or remember incorrectly the last day in the stamp and accidentally then overstays few days. Really f*cked up rule.

The new overstay rules have not been approved yet. So cannot be enforced.

Joe, I'm assuming the pending new overstay rules DON'T envision a 5-year blacklisting/ban of people who incur a one-day overstay.

Lt Col Banphot Kittivira, Deputy Superintendent of the Immigration checkpoint at Sadao, on the Malaysian border, confirmed that his office received a copy of the new form.
“Although the form currently states that any foreigners caught overstaying by less than a year will be banned from re-entering the Kingdom for five years, please note that this will only apply to foreigners who overstay by more than 90 days,” he said.
“Any foreigners who overstay less than 90 days will be subjected to the normal 500-baht a day fine.”

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741109-immigration-clarifies-and-confirms-overstay-crackdown/#entry8073325

Meanwhile, I note there have been various threads here in recent days weeks of people leaving the country recently and voluntarily after multi-year overstays. And they weren't being tossed into jail on their way out.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/751762-cleared-11-year-overstay/?hl=%20overstay%20%20rules

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/770217-overstay-2-5-years/?p=8568447&hl=%2Boverstay+%2Brules

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

According to the new rules, if apprehended even for one day overstay, it is deporting and five year ban! Look it up the next time you go to immigration.

Those "It's about time!" turds still applauding for these new rules might not be so happy if this hits personally. This could happen to anybody, misread or remember incorrectly the last day in the stamp and accidentally then overstays few days. Really f*cked up rule.

The new overstay rules have not been approved yet. So cannot be enforced.

Joe, I'm assuming the pending new overstay rules DON'T envision a 5-year blacklisting/ban of people who incur a one-day overstay.

Lt Col Banphot Kittivira, Deputy Superintendent of the Immigration checkpoint at Sadao, on the Malaysian border, confirmed that his office received a copy of the new form.
“Although the form currently states that any foreigners caught overstaying by less than a year will be banned from re-entering the Kingdom for five years, please note that this will only apply to foreigners who overstay by more than 90 days,” he said.
“Any foreigners who overstay less than 90 days will be subjected to the normal 500-baht a day fine.”

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/741109-immigration-clarifies-and-confirms-overstay-crackdown/#entry8073325

Meanwhile, I note there have been various threads here in recent days weeks of people leaving the country recently and voluntarily after multi-year overstays. And they weren't being tossed into jail on their way out.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/751762-cleared-11-year-overstay/?hl=%20overstay%20%20rules

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/770217-overstay-2-5-years/?p=8568447&hl=%2Boverstay+%2Brules

I can also confirm thatthe new laws blacklisting people from Thailand for overstay are not in operation. my friend left with 2.5 years overstay and said the immigration couldn't have been more polite and even gave him some advice on which visa to apply for when he returned next month.

As said the fact he was on overstay is just a coincidence to the real reason he was banged up. There is a post where a guy was arrested for over 4 years overstay and he is out on bail waiting to go to court.

Those "It's about time!" turds still applauding for these new rules might not be so happy if this hits personally. This could happen to anybody, misread or remember incorrectly the last day in the stamp and accidentally then overstays few days. Really f*cked up rule. Then bad luck hits and police stops you, wants to see your passport and BAM!

You need to do better than that Timmyboy, there is a lot more to this story than the overstay. As for the proposed changes, they are not in force.

If someone wants to be an activist in a country not their own it would appear that the person would be so squeaky clean that they would squeak when they walked but if true he had 3 overstays it would appear he was playing a game he could eventually lose. I do not know the guy or his motivations for his activism hope it all works out for him one way or the other. By the way the Embassy cannot intervene other than to ask about his health and his safety they cannot intervene in another countries application of there laws

Remember that until recently overstay was a ultra minor infringement. Mai pai rai.

So he had the reasonable meaningless being late before. But with the new rules he did not. Only for losing his passport it seems.

Thus, unless the other overstays were recently it is a very weak reason. Certainly not grounds to criticise him......

The editor news source which can't be mentioned has stated this was his 3rd overstay in the comments section....

Any news here? News source not to be named doesn't seem to have much of an update.

If said Expat gets deported, what about possesions, household etc.(?), just out of luck there?

His girlfriend would have to take care of that.

Any news here? News source not to be named doesn't seem to have much of an update.

If said Expat gets deported, what about possesions, household etc.(?), just out of luck there?

His girlfriend would have to take care of that.

I saw where the topic was locked in the Phuket Forum. I understand the cross thread multiple forum rule but seems as this is Phuket related (some of us know said Expat) we should be able to carry on there.

Does this not seem an example where maybe the rules could be bent just a little? Visa topic and Phuket topic, no?

• Like 1

A friend of mine got deported 8 years or so ago. He got permission to go to his apartment, under guard, and collect some of his personal things, but that was it.