24-year-old British woman dies at beauty treatment clinic in Bangkok

webfact

Another plastic surgery patient dies

The Nation

30246218-01_big.jpg

Dr Sompop Sansiri and his plastic-surgery clinic have run into serious legal trouble after a British woman died during hip surgery late on Thursday.

BANGKOK: -- Huai Khwang clinic closed after Briton's death, two doctors could face jail time

Plastic surgery in Thailand has made the headlines again, this time because of the death of a British customer - a 24-year-old woman who died while undergoing hip surgery in Bangkok's Huai Khwang district late on Thursday.

The clinic was immediately slapped with a 60-day closure order, while the two doctors involved in the fatal procedure are subject to investigations by both police and the Public Health Ministry.

SP Clinic owner Dr Sompop Sansiri, who performed the surgery, is charged with recklessness leading to the death of a person.

If convicted, he will face up to 10 years in jail and/or a fine of up to Bt20,000.

Sompop is also set to face several other charges related to the case. He was found to have been performing the surgery beyond authorised hours. His clinic was supposed to close by 8pm, but the death reportedly took place at around 11.30pm.

The body of the victim was also found to have been moved from the second floor of the clinic to the first floor, something that could violate legal clauses governing the clinic's operation, according to police.

In addition, Sompop is in fact a licensed general-practice doctor and has no licence to perform plastic surgery.

In performing the surgery without a licence, he risks up to three years in jail and/or a fine of up to Bt60,000.

His clinic was allowed to operate because it had been able to produce the licence of Dr Narongdej Jiarapeepan, a surgeon.

However, given that Narongdej did not perform the surgery on Thursday, he will likely face charges of allowing another person to perform surgery at premises authorised by his licence.

Sompop has reportedly so far denied any wrongdoing, insisting that he proceeded in line with proper surgical procedures.

At this point, it remains unclear why the Briton died during the surgery.

It was not her first time at the clinic, as she had also undergone surgery there on October 14.

Her body was taken to Police General Hospital for an autopsy, as the authorities seek to determine the exact cause of death.

The court has approved Sompop's bail request and released him on a Bt200,000 guarantee.

Health Service Support Department director-general Dr Boonrueang Trairueangworawat said the doctors involved in the case had clearly violated the Medical Facilities Act. "We will forward the case to the Medical Council of Thailand for further action," he said.

Last month, an event product presenter also succumbed during plastic surgery at another clinic, reportedly because of an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Another-plastic-surgery-patient-dies-30246218.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-10-25

A fine of 20,000 baht. That's peanuts for criminals.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

""Anesthesic doctor said before undergoing general anesthesia, she was asked to inform the doctor about all other medication that she has taken. In this case, a doctor said she might not inform."

And

"Authorities speculate the deceased woman ate a meal prior to receiving anaesthetic, which caused complications resulting in her death. Her body has been submitted for forensic examination."

Appears to be a concerted effort taking place to blame the victim in this case.

Seems that the medical profession is the same the world over.

Deny, deny, deny

Blame, blame, blame

Yes it appears the article is using hearsay to point at the victim's actions or lack of communication as the cause; where could this info have come from pre-autopsy if not the clinic, hardly an unbiased source. Disturbing lack of journalistic standards.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo
  • Like 1

I went to the same clinic last year to have a birth mark removed. When i came out i had a new pair of tits.

I went there,

and my wife come out ;

I serve this rubbish up as an example. One fool following another. Such witty humour. Absolute losers. Especially in an op about someone dying. Poor excuses for having an IQ or rather sense of decency.

Get a life you sad sad man. But, you know what life really is? You're born, you suck your mother's tits. You get a little older, you suck your girlfriend's tits. You get married, you suck your wife's tits. That's what life is. Life sucks.

Such clinics are all over Thailand, specially at Bangkok, Pattaya & Phuket.

Most of them don't even have doctors, just So called nurses or girls wearing apron are working and giving treatment.

so much for Medical Tourism in Thailand...

RIP.

• Like 1

Such clinics are all over Thailand, specially at Bangkok, Pattaya & Phuket.

Most of them don't even have doctors, just So called nurses or girls wearing apron are working and giving treatment.

so much for Medical Tourism in Thailand...

RIP.

Indeed.

The real risks of attending these type of clinics is completely understated. Doing this without a license is virtually murder.

• Like 1

In addition, Sompop is in fact a licensed general-practice doctor and has no licence to perform plastic surgery.

In performing the surgery without a licence, he risks up to three years in jail and/or a fine of up to Bt60,000.

Sompop has reportedly so far denied any wrongdoing, insisting that he proceeded in line with proper surgical procedures.

The doctor had no license to perform cosmetic surgery, but claims he did nothing wrong in performing a surgery he wasn't licensed to perform???

I wish I could get the facts from the BIB or newspapers.

They keep changing their stories just like Koh Tao.

Its all one big game of cat and mouse here. Sadly ...we are the mouse and the cat is hungry and mean.

First she was having her tail bone...then it was lipo...then a butt cheek implant. Story changes faster than a tsunami

...TIT!

I want the truth to take action if I was duped by fake diplomas and fake certificates at the SP CLINIC? Slowly Healing in Asok.

Edited by IAMSOBAD
  • Like 1

He had diplomas all over the walls and in a glass case.

If it turns out he operated on me on Tuesday ...I will go after him big time. Anyone else use this clinic please PM me.

hope many doctors in the west plaster their walls with diplomas?

Many docs have told me they "trained in the US" - very few make this claim for Europe - BTW - the ruth is that it is VERY VERY hard for a foreign Doc to practice in there States but they have a thriving industry in supplying certificates to "observers" - people who go to training hospitals or Universities and get a certificate in some aspect of medicine that they are not allied to pracice in the US but it enables them to come home and claim "trained in America"....

• Like 2

I actually had eyelid surgery at SP Clinic last Tuesday one week prior to this death.

The doctor was very good about preparing me for surgery and advising me about my options for sedation. I had a long and detailed consultation with him. I chose a mild sedative and local anesthesia. I was awake and watching the entire operation. My pulse and blood pressure were closely monitored. I was going to have a second procedure done ,but he was worried that my blood pressre was very high from my anxiety and he made me come back two days later to do the other procedure. That was Thursday. He took all precautions and gave me correct sedation and a anti anxiety Med as well as local numbing shots. The surgery lasted two hours and he never rushed me or took risks. I went back on Tuesday this week to have my stitches removed and he was great and took his time.

I have tried calling all day to the clinic and really hope this was a terrible accident and no negligence on either doctor or patient. He is very educated and has many patients from all over the world. My Japanese friend had the same surgeries I had all at once due to her BP being low. She says she experienced the same as I did. Professional... Clean... and no bad side effects.

Very scary to read this today.

We both denied full sleeping after Joan Rivers death. Too many chances for complications with general anesthesia.

RIP

"My pulse and blood pressure were closely monitored. I was going to have a second procedure done ,but he was worried that my blood pressure was very high from my anxiety and he made me come back two days later to do the other procedure." - that's HIS side of the story - blood pressure from anxiety?? Who isn't anxious before/during a procedure?

Come on OPs why are so many of you engaging in your regular Thai bashing - Joan Rivers recently died in a Private Clinic in New York while having a minor procedure (gastroscopy I think). The full story isn't out yet (based on the suing culture of the States) but judging by recent statements made by her daughter it looks like the Anaesthetist was responsible. Now we presume that one on the leading ladies of US television wasn't having this done in a cheap and dodgy clinic - so it seems that this happens even in the best of medical establishments.

• Like 2

Come on OPs why are so many of you engaging in your regular Thai bashing - Joan Rivers recently died in a Private Clinic in New York while having a minor procedure (gastroscopy I think). The full story isn't out yet (based on the suing culture of the States) but judging by recent statements made by her daughter it looks like the Anaesthetist was responsible. Now we presume that one on the leading ladies of US television wasn't having this done in a cheap and dodgy clinic - so it seems that this happens even in the best of medical establishments.

Well said, and it's about time some posters e.g. 'willcopops' who has been a relentless Thai basher all day turned his computer off. Makes me wonder why he even bothers to call Thailand HOME! There must be thousands of well qualified plastic surgeons in Thailand working in first class establishments. One never seems to hear about the hundreds of thousands of successful operations carried out each year and the very happy patients. Lets hope a bit of balance can creep into the conversation.

yet more incoherent and baseless babble.

firstly I'm not Thai bashing - I'm underlining the potential hazards in the Thai healthcare system. i get these concerns from a good knowledge of Thailand and its culture and working/training practices - of which I have personal and broad experience.

Rather than make nape-of-the-neck statements using hackneyed phrases when you don't agree with someone, have you considered putting forward a reasoned and considered argument?

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall using the term HOME to describe my stay in Thailand - I think yet again it is one of your baseless assumptions.

"There must be thousands of well qualified plastic surgeons in Thailand working in first class establishments" - this is precisely the baseless assumption that has lead so many people into risky or dangerous situations in Thai healthcare - a blind faith in anyone in a white coat........which of course is what unscrupulous and poorly trained medical practitioners rely on.....you're their perfect customer - uneducated on matters medical and totally uncritical.

Balance? - i AM the balnce - against the kind of tripe that is promulgated by those who don't think critically and know little of medical practices.

read my posts and if you disagree with any point I make, rather than resort to cliche, put forward a coherent argument against it.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Precisely! GAs are dangerous at the best of times, (particularly so for the elderly)so why in hell's name would you trust your life to a backstreet practice without immediate access to an ICU?

as long as there is a qualified anaesthetist (spelling) ...operations can be done in any clinic outside a hospital. There are millions of small private clinics all over the world that perform plastic surgery.

General anaethstetics are rarely administered outside hospitals in the developed world because it is an increased risk SHOULD SOMETHING GO WRONG.

I would never have a GA in a clinic anywhere in the world. It is a ridiculous risk.

Please at very least check your facts. I'm from AU. One of best medical available in world. Take just one procedure ..Colonoscopy. ...litterally many hundreds preformed per week. .

I could list countless other procedures all preformed in clinics under GA

Well, its banned in the UK outside hospitals. My old man was a dentist, so knows all about it. He rarely ever did GA because he didn't want the reponsibility.

Its my job and I wouldn't get involved in anaesthesia outside of a hospital.

I did in the early 90s though...in dental clinics and a very famous London cosmetic centre....standards then were unbelievably bad.

The wine list was very good tho....and lunch was to die for....almost literally.....

Thankfully things there are now in line with accepted standards.

Frankly there are a whole host of things you should have readily available whenever administering a general anaesthetic....that's why we have rules preventing it outside of hospitals in many countries.

A clinic cannot provide that without charging astronomical fees....and the comment on colonoscopy is an interesting one.

In many cases heavy sedation is used for colonoscopy and that has a far higher mortality rate than a general anaesthetic.

Be careful out there.

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

I wish I could get the facts from the BIB or newspapers.

They keep changing their stories just like Koh Tao.

Its all one big game of cat and mouse here. Sadly ...we are the mouse and the cat is hungry and mean.

First she was having her tail bone...then it was lipo...then a butt cheek implant. Story changes faster than a tsunami

...TIT!

I want the truth to take action if I was duped by fake diplomas and fake certificates at the SP CLINIC? Slowly Healing in Asok.

If you want to take legal action against a doctor or clinic/hospital in Thailand allow for up to 16 years to get a result. ...and be warned the pay-outs are in general very small - they won't compensation for emotional hardship etc..........

Wilco, please tell us a more about your 'personal and broad experience' of Thai hospitals. What are your qualifications other than an ability to endlessly bash all things Thai?

like only a fool would think that's going to happen, only a fool thinks "qualifications" validate an argument, and it's only a fool who can only resort to cliches rather than put up a proper counter-argument.

when it boils down to it - it is what I say that is relevant not who i am - you really don't seem to grasp that......

- if you have a problem with any point I raise - take it up and propose an argument against - but you can't can you? you simply haven't got a leg to stand on.

Edited by wilcopops

Well said, and it's about time some posters e.g. 'willcopops' who has been a relentless Thai basher all day turned his computer off. Makes me wonder why he even bothers to call Thailand HOME! There must be thousands of well qualified plastic surgeons in Thailand working in first class establishments. One never seems to hear about the hundreds of thousands of successful operations carried out each year and the very happy patients. Lets hope a bit of balance can creep into the conversation.

yet more incoherent and baseless babble.

firstly I'm not Thai bashing - I'm underlining the potential hazards in the Thai healthcare system. i get these concerns from a good knowledge of Thailand and its culture and working/training practices - of which I have personal and broad experience.

Rather than make nape-of-the-neck statements using hackneyed phrases when you don't agree with someone, have you considered putting forward a reasoned and considered argument?

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall using the term HOME to describe my stay in Thailand - I think yet again it is one of your baseless assumptions.

"There must be thousands of well qualified plastic surgeons in Thailand working in first class establishments" - this is precisely the baseless assumption that has lead so many people into risky or dangerous situations in Thai healthcare - a blind faith in anyone in a white coat........which of course is what unscrupulous and poorly trained medical practitioners rely on.....you're their perfect customer - uneducated on matters medical and totally uncritical.

Balance? - i AM the balnce - against the kind of tripe that is promulgated by those who don't think critically and know little of medical practices.

read my posts and if you disagree with any point I make, rather than resort to cliche, put forward a coherent argument against it.

If your relentless Thai bashing wasn't so palpable and your poor use of language composition so fractured and meaningless, I'd have to say you were a good contender for troll of the week. Why you just can't admit that there may be, just may be, another side to the argument shows your bigoted and one-eyed view up for what it is.

"I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall using the term HOME to describe my stay in Thailand..." Stand corrected - you do the research.

could have been allergic response which induced cardiac arrest, she needed instant action, and hey may have been in another room,

it happens that fast,

i saved someone once from this,

you only get seconds

Hi Steve, you wouldn't happen to be Steve Fong former police officer from the Wirral, UK, would you?

Edited by OnNutter

According to today's Telegraph the deceased was a British/Nigerian who had an operation (her second at this clinic) to cosmetically enhance her buttocks. The silicone implants became infected so she returned to the clinic to have remedial surgery to remove the implants. She did not survive the operation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11187825/Young-British-woman-died-from-infection-after-bottom-surgery-police-in-Thailand-say.html

• Like 1

could have been allergic response which induced cardiac arrest, she needed instant action, and hey may have been in another room,

it happens that fast,

i saved someone once from this,

you only get seconds

But wouldn't she have been hooked up to machines, unsure of the names, as they would signalled if in fact her vitals were worsening? But then again, this is a clinic and the apparatus may not have been available.

Yes the hospitals are superclean, the Bumrungrad is like a 7 star hotel, the nurses are pretty, caring and provide the best service in the world, you will get every relevant medicine on the hospital pharmacy shelf prescribed to you, although a pity that many of the doctors do not switch on their brains. International qualifications - it is not true. We talk of own experience.

as long as there is a qualified anaesthetist (spelling) ...operations can be done in any clinic outside a hospital. There are millions of small private clinics all over the world that perform plastic surgery.

General anaethstetics are rarely administered outside hospitals in the developed world because it is an increased risk SHOULD SOMETHING GO WRONG.

I would never have a GA in a clinic anywhere in the world. It is a ridiculous risk.

Please at very least check your facts. I'm from AU. One of best medical available in world. Take just one procedure ..Colonoscopy. ...litterally many hundreds preformed per week. .

I could list countless other procedures all preformed in clinics under GA

Well, its banned in the UK outside hospitals. My old man was a dentist, so knows all about it. He rarely ever did GA because he didn't want the reponsibility.

Its my job and I wouldn't get involved in anaesthesia outside of a hospital.

I did in the early 90s though...in dental clinics and a very famous London cosmetic centre....standards then were unbelievably bad.

The wine list was very good tho....and lunch was to die for....almost literally.....

Thankfully things there are now in line with accepted standards.

Frankly there are a whole host of things you should have readily available whenever administering a general anaesthetic....that's why we have rules preventing it outside of hospitals in many countries.

A clinic cannot provide that without charging astronomical fees....and the comment on colonoscopy is an interesting one.

In many cases heavy sedation is used for colonoscopy and that has a far higher mortality rate than a general anaesthetic.

Be careful out there.

Thanks for bringing reality to the discussion.

GA is not to be trifled with and should not ideally be administered in a clinic. It is not commonly done in the west.

"...In many cases heavy sedation is used for colonoscopy and that has a far higher mortality rate than a general anaesthetic".

As the recipient of over 30 procedures carried out in various Australian clinics I have to say that not once was I ever under the impression that I was in receipt of anything less than fully medically approved and sanctioned. Heavy sedation and general anaesthetics given in clinics are an extremely common practice in Australia for a multitude of procedures. I note the caution given to these practices in other countries by some posters. I cannot speak for anywhere but Australia and my own experiences.

If ever there was a situation where the client had to make a very personal choice based upon their own beliefs, experiences and research, this is it.