Prayut must stay on as PM until problems solved: survey

Lite Beer

The most popular PM in 10 years is terrified of elections.

The most popular PM in 10 years is terrified of free speech.

The most popular PM in 10 years is terrified of free assembly.

It's almost as if he's not actually that popular at all and must use brute force and fear to cling to power.

But just a touch more popular than you don't you think

Even if my popularity was zero, I'd be in front of the General if one were to subtract those with a negative view (probably around 60%) from those with a positive view (probably around 20%).

My 0% would easily beats his -40%

(BTW: Thaksin peak popularity, gained in the 2005 election, was 60% whilst the Democrats bottomed out at 20%, I personally think this is the true breakdown of Thai political support and it is why there'll not be elections until the people rise up and take their rights back themselves)

Telling me for what you started the % BS, I'm not interested in your propaganda, I've already spelled it out to you. Your party is over, anothers turn now.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He used to state proudly that he supported the DEMS, but his words deceived that notion as he only ever denounced them.

With comments like this I wonder if he is a Junta fan as well!

I love the "gun point" argument too. The reason the most popular PM in 10 years seized control was because the country WAS held at gun point by the red shirts. Unless the 28 deaths and 780 odd injured mean nothing.

Imagine if the army killed 28 people in 7 months and injured 780 and then the red shirts came in and stopped that massacre in it's tracks stating that they could not consciously let it continue. Even a special needs child in a wheel chair with no imagination and an attention deficit disorder would know how the red apologists would view the army and the red shirts in that scenario.

PTP logic right there folks.

The most popular PM in 10 years is terrified of elections.

The most popular PM in 10 years is terrified of free speech.

The most popular PM in 10 years is terrified of free assembly.

It's almost as if he's not actually that popular at all and must use brute force and fear to cling to power.

But just a touch more popular than you don't you think

My eyes are twinkling at your response........ he's popular, he's a STAR (face in two palms of the hands)... merrily looking up.

He's done sweet FA. I don't judge stars by looks.... I judge by what they do. Do you ever permit your unconcious and subconcious to talk to you? Or is it all in a fridge magnet? I bet you got a General PM fridge magnet.... come on... admit it.... you got general's slippers too! giggle.gif

Save your smiles until Thaksin gets in again. wait forever-----in other words just the same as I said to Robespiere I am not interested in your has been rhetoric.

Originally I thought the game plan was set up a military sponsored party to be elected PM after winning an election, as Suchinda did (with disastrous results in 1992) but now I think what we see in the OP is actually what is planning. It doesn't look much like he is interested in getting involved in politics or running in any form of election, since he is not really forming any political alliances, beyond lip service to reconciliation, or coming out with any serious attempts at reform or meaningful economic policy, despite the promising performance of the first three months following the coup.

The constitution drafting process provided for in the interim constitution is very convoluted and creates a high risk of failure the first time round. If it is not approved by the NRC within the time limit the NRC and the CDC are both dissolved instantly with no chance for editing or redrafting and the whole process to select them starts again. This could take another year and could happen more than once. So here we have a process that can keep the PM in power for 2-4 years without the need for an election. This structure also deals with the Thaksinites' demand for a referendum very neatly. After two or three iterations of the constitution drafting process how many people would still demand a referendum which would take several months and would also send the whole thing back to the drawing board for another year's delay if defeated?

• Like 2

Some nerves have been touched eh? Jamie IF I were a Thai, is still believe the dems have the better chance of sorting things out but seeing as I'm not, the Thais will sort everything out themselves, they will either sink or swim.

Abhisit has been very quiet of late he's either Ben told to shut his pie hole and is believing thAt discretion is the better part of valour, unlike some others who love to open their mouthes and say complete claptrap and state bold faces lies too.

The Tourism minister for starters!!

But let's just put things into perspective for. Couple of you, 10 years of political violence in the South means nothing to you as it doesn't fit into your blinkered agendas, the RTA are sating it will be All over by 2015 lets wait out on that one as they've not been effective down South yet as violence continues almost daily.

All the deaths down there are meaningless to some here as their tinted specs can't see that far

Jamie, you are constants stating the PDRC and the Junta were/are so popular and yet the second vote that was called for could have been the opportunity to prove that the PTP was a spent force after all the population was turning against them right ? But the Thais will never know as the second election never got the chance to prove it.

Ginjag, in an earlier post you stated that Yingluck was pulling a fast one with the Feb elections , you don't know much about the constitution then do you as from dissolving parliament till calling for elections in the time frame within, made February the date elections has to be held , but you knew this though eh? But nah it's fine for you to stick the boot in to the PTP and Yingluck and at times rightly so ,post after post but it makes you feel butt hurt when someone has a pop at the PM?

He's NOT your best buddy and never will be sticking up for him and throwing your teddy out the pram every time someone post something negative is what children do, what was it you said to me not a few days ago?? Oh yeah. Your better than that ?

Instead of Ignore ignore ignore requests take some time out And STOP responding if your little feelings are being butt hurt over other peoples opinions of the PM, YOU have yours about Thaksin, Yingluck Chalerm and co but that's okay but when posters are critical of the PM over many issues you just don't like it at all.

grow up it's Thai politics and nothing you nor the majority of posters can do anything about it as we are guests in a nation that's going through a rough patch. Things have no choice but to get better . They can't get any worse.........or can they ? Only time will tell but in politics time and patience don't do too well .

• Like 2

Some nerves have been touched eh? Jamie IF I were a Thai, is still believe the dems have the better chance of sorting things out but seeing as I'm not, the Thais will sort everything out themselves, they will either sink or swim.

Abhisit has been very quiet of late he's either Ben told to shut his pie hole and is believing thAt discretion is the better part of valour, unlike some others who love to open their mouthes and say complete claptrap and state bold faces lies too.

But let's just put things into perspective for. Couple of you, 10 years of political violence in the South means nothing to you as it doesn't fit into your blinkered agendas, the RTA are sating it will be All over by 2015 lets wait out on that one as they've not been effective down South yet as violence continues almost daily.

All the deaths down there are meaningless to some here as their tinted specs can't see that far

Jamie, you are constants stating the PDRC and the Junta were/are so popular and yet the second vote that was called for could have been the opportunity to prove that the PTP was a spent force after all the population was turning against them right ? But the Thais will never know as the second election never got the chance to prove it.

Ginjag, in an earlier post you stated that Yingluck was pulling a fast one with the Feb elections , you don't know much about the constitution then do you as from dissolving parliament till calling for elections in the time frame within, made February the date elections has to be held , but you knew this though eh? But nah it's fine for you to stick the boot in to the PTP and Yingluck and at times rightly so ,post after post but it makes you feel butt hurt when someone has a pop at the PM?

He's NOT your best buddy and never will be sticking up for him and throwing your teddy out the pram every time someone post something negative is what children do, what was it you said to me not a few days ago?? Oh yeah. Your better than that ?

Instead of Ignore ignore ignore requests take some time out And STOP responding if your little feelings are being butt hurt over other peoples opinions of the PM, YOU have yours about Thaksin, Yingluck Chalerm and co but that's okay but when posters are critical of the PM over many issues you just don't like it at all.

grow up it's Thai politics and nothing you nor the majority of posters can do anything about it as we are guests in a nation that's going through a rough patch. Things have no choice but to get better . They can't get any worse.........or can they ? Only time will tell but in politics time and patience don't do too well .

I have told you Leave me out of this, post all you like, your privilege --no point every day same stuff.

So where is it all heading do you think, Dogmatix?

I think the PM is totally aware of the uneasy sentiment on the grounds and growing impatient of many citizens especially from the academics and professionals to see fruitful reforms happening quickly. The low hanging fruits will be quickly forgotten and seen as normal transformation. He knows his adequacies and he is surrounded by yes men who will only report back the news that pleases his ears. Does not augurs well for meaningful reforms and new charter.

His fate is not him to control but in the hands of either his masters or the people who will not take kindly to his overstay. The international community especially our major trading partners will also not be too kind if he delayed the promised election. When the international image is hurt as well as the economy, the political situation will take another vicious change of events which nothing the junta can do about it. All said, I believed the PM is the type of character who will stick to his words albeit slight delay, the CDC will finished the charter and reforms key milestones will be legislated for the next government.

• Like 1

@Commerce

You're right about education in Thailand. I believe it's an Admiral in charge as the Education Minister now. I used to be a TEFLer, but returned home to the UK do a degree in Education. At first, I thought the degree wouldn't improve me. To be fair, some of it is very theoretical.

However, I have learned a few things that will help and are probably crucial for a serious teacher. Things like Inclusive Education (social class and educational attainment/dealing with special needs/problem kids etc) and Child Psychology. I haven't even finsished yet and I've a lot to learn.

The point I'm making is this:

If you are a westerner and have a child in the Thai Educational System (not including top tier international schools where the elite probably send their own kids)...get them out of there.

I have told you Leave me out of this, post all you like, your privilege --no point every day same stuff.

Boooo hoooooo quit your greeting over something that really is NONE of our business anyway, it's for the Thais to sort out, and you sure have a cheek to talk as your like a stuck record on your schoolboy crush over the PM your suppose to be a grown senior citizen, not Acting like a spoilt little brat who isn't getting things his own way.

Crack on with your ignore list but I prefer the more mature form of action and it's called refraining from posting if something doesn't sit well with me.

But then again, your not me, and are still behaving like a little child too.

It's a dynamic situation that now looks very different from the way it looked in the first 3 months after the coup and could easily look different again in another 3 months. However, at this point it looks like this government might stay in place for 2 or 3 years, clean up and sail into the sunset with the leading figures retiring in army camps like the Suchinda group but without trying to get into politics themselves. Political reforms (but few meaningful reforms to the economy, law and order or public administration) are likely to be put in place with the main aim of keeping the Shins out of power after the next election. A weak government would then probably be elected. Then red shirt protests will start and the cycle will start over again. Thai implies a reversion to the status quo after the 2007 constitution. However, there is another potential twist which is a reversion to the status quo of the 80s when an unelcted PM was allowed and a series of weak coalition governments felt they had to appoint Prem as PM to avoid the threat of another military coup. Maybe a totally new model will emerge from the rubble but I see more signs of nostalgia for the past than new thinking. Just my views. What do other think?

• Like 2

^^

An interesting take. Yes, it would be good to hear what others think - certainly more thought provoking than posters simply slagging one another off with the same old arguments we have heard time and again..

Edited by baboon

You could put him on your ignore list?

It's a dynamic situation that now looks very different from the way it looked in the first 3 months after the coup and could easily look different again in another 3 months. However, at this point it looks like this government might stay in place for 2 or 3 years, clean up and sail into the sunset with the leading figures retiring in army camps like the Suchinda group but without trying to get into politics themselves. Political reforms (but few meaningful reforms to the economy, law and order or public administration) are likely to be put in place with the main aim of keeping the Shins out of power after the next election. A weak government would then probably be elected. Then red shirt protests will start and the cycle will start over again. Thai implies a reversion to the status quo after the 2007 constitution. However, there is another potential twist which is a reversion to the status quo of the 80s when an unelcted PM was allowed and a series of weak coalition governments felt they had to appoint Prem as PM to avoid the threat of another military coup. Maybe a totally new model will emerge from the rubble but I see more signs of nostalgia for the past than new thinking. Just my views. What do other think?

That's an interesting couple of scenarios and I'm not sure this lot have quite worked out what to do yet - they seem to be nervously floundering and increasingly paranoid as nothing goes right. Thailand's fiscal problems seem to worsen by the day.

What can be said with some certainty though is that - and this will make our rabid anti-PT pair froth - is that the junta is talking with Thaksin, whether it be a path to a quiet step back from politics or something more pro-active but unseen (that massive PT support base has to be taken into account if there is any way forward), is still less than clear.

The biggest % of TVF members have had smiles on our faces after the Shins were booted out, whatever happens now is in the hands of the gods, but it's been brilliant watching some of you cringe and squirm. And like rabid dogs try for the Jugular of the PM. You will lose 2 ways, 1 without Shins and 2 with the PM in power. I feel I have gained 2.

Interesting relating to weak governments.

The main thing that needs to happen when an new elected strong government needs to do,whenever that may be, is to drastically reduce the power of the military to try and prevent the same old coup cycle.

Unlikely, but if that particular potential problem is nipped in the bud it would automatically create new directions,simply by taking away one of the catalysts the country would be forced in to new options.

Pipe dreams perhaps, but possible with strong governance.

chairman of the Thai Researchers in Community Happiness Association

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

This is surely some of the worst propaganda in human history.

Seriously, some of Prayuths top advisors are actually tasked with coming up with propaganda that will somehow inflate their non existent legitimacy - and this is what they come up with w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

Legitimate or not he is doing what was needed to be done for a long time now and I hope he does stay on for as long as it takes to get the job done. Anyone that thinks going back to the old ways is a better solution just doesn't know Thailand or Thai politics. If Prayuth hadn't stepped in Thai politics would just be referred to as same ol same ol again and the ones that win would be the politicians with their hands in the public purse as usual again.

Prayuth is doing a great job cleaning up corruption, encroachment, mafia activity, crime and the list goes on and on. Something past governments failed to do so because they were so busy looking after their own self interests which has been the problem with Thailand for a long long time. No one said it could or would be done in a day, and will take time, but it is off to a very good start finally at last.

Money allocated for infrastructure or anything else to improve the standard of living in Thailand is just passed from one hand to the next until there is never enough to complete the project without cutting costs which results in poor quality hwys. and everything else.

With the Government in power now there is finally hope that Thailand will finally become a decent place to live in for everyone.

• Like 1

That's an interesting couple of scenarios and I'm not sure this lot have quite worked out what to do yet - they seem to be nervously floundering and increasingly paranoid as nothing goes right. Thailand's fiscal problems seem to worsen by the day.

What can be said with some certainty though is that - and this will make our rabid anti-PT pair froth - is that the junta is talking with Thaksin, whether it be a path to a quiet step back from politics or something more pro-active but unseen (that massive PT support base has to be taken into account if there is any way forward), is still less than clear.

I think that has been going on for some time now. Going back to the days of the various court cases getting thrown out. Deals have definitely been done.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer perhaps?

• Like 1

The biggest % of TVF members have had smiles on our faces after the Shins were booted out, whatever happens now is in the hands of the gods, but it's been brilliant watching some of you cringe and squirm. And like rabid dogs try for the Jugular of the PM. You will lose 2 ways, 1 without Shins and 2 with the PM in power. I feel I have gained 2.

Are you 5 years old?

Despite your protestations to the contrary you seem to be dangerously wound up at the moment. Perhaps take a step back for a week or so, reading and writing on here cannot be good for your health.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif You and your clan are the losers , perhaps you should have manners and mind your own business. But thanks doc for your advice.

Hands of the Gods? 555555 it's in the hands of the Thais electorate and none of them are Gods, although the way youre praising the PM you may feel he's of mythical and biblical status ?

rabid dogs at throat of the PM as opposed to the little boy crying because his hero is getting pelters for some of things he said and done ?

It's funny as still seem to think your opinions like most here matter to the General or the majority of the Thai electorate, opinions that mean nothing to them, unless you've actually got any influence in Thai Politics and are part of their team? Then it matters not, it's opinions Ginjag, some you don't like, but you're always going to have those, where would we be in life if everything was perfect?

You , like myself and many others are spending most of the day on TVF and are getting wound up over something that's nothing to do with the majority of the posters but it's generating debate, if something bothers me so much, I step away for the conversation as it's not with getting ones emotions carried away, and you are better than that.

I might not agree with a lot of what your are saying or standing for, but that doesn't mean I feel the need to start going on about the ignore list it's petulant, you accuse people of posting propaganda but what are the contents of a number of your posts , yeah propaganda and the same old rhetoric and mantra .

Put me on your ignore list if you want, I'll not lose any sleep over it that's for sure but I'll not be childish and put you on mine just to appease you, or to give you some kind of moral victory, you have an ignore button too, it works both ways, incase you hadn't figured it out.

Now put the petted lip away and start posting some humourous stuff that will put a smile on everyone's face ?

• Like 2

Perhaps ginjag's deranged, hateful and profoundly stupid posts can be merged with the what-Thais-hate-about-foreigners thread. That would seem to be their natural home.

You people as very small minority are a laugh a minute, And you are one to talk about my posts. Ha ha.

Hateful posts ?? you mean because I dislike the fugitive and Family ?? what annoys you guys you hate someone like me agreeing (UP TO NOW) with the PM. in a nutshell.

If you hate the PM create a speakers corner (Hyde Park style) in BKK. you cannot only sneakily slag him off on TVF....Join a Thaksin losers club.

Better you stick to topic---rules you know. So I am agreeing to stick with the pm for now. sorry guys.

Perhaps ginjag's deranged, hateful and profoundly stupid posts can be merged with the what-Thais-hate-about-foreigners thread. That would seem to be their natural home.

You people as very small minority are a laugh a minute, And you are one to talk about my posts. Ha ha.

Hateful posts ?? you mean because I dislike the fugitive and Family ?? what annoys you guys you hate someone like me agreeing (UP TO NOW) with the PM. in a nutshell.

If you hate the PM create a speakers corner (Hyde Park style) in BKK. you cannot only sneakily slag him off on TVF....Join a Thaksin losers club.

Better you stick to topic---rules you know. So I am agreeing to stick with the pm for now. sorry guys.

Whoops, time to step back from the edge of that cliff methinks!

There you go again with generalising, you people ? As opposed to you people ? And you have the gall to mention manners ?

You seem to forget that having good manners also means respecting other peoples opinions and views even if they differ from yours.

You're a hoot really, you sound like a typical referee, always right, and never wrong and fail to accept there's times where you made bad calls and made bad judgements .

The moral high horse needs leaving in the stables

When PTP came again to govern it was clear from the outset that they were looking over their shoulders waiting for the inevitable, The previous democrat government was clearly afraid to tackle any major issues or instigate major change. Thai governments perhaps do require checks and balances, but the main requirement demands these tasks need carried out with equality,absolute integrity, and non bias. History shows that while in certain situations a decision is accepted, in similar situations the decision can be completely reversed.....there exists too much flexibility in the interpretation of the existing laws and structure, perhaps with the express purpose to benefit the few where necessary. While Thai politics/democracy is hamstrung by this type of inequality regarding 'legal translation' there is no immediate solution. If the way forward is set up to contain a hierarchical structure where process/decisions/change, at lower levels in society, can be readily reversed from above, (by whatever means required) then there is forthcoming difficulty, as change will be at the sole discretion of the 'few', which in turn aggravates the stalled majority.

I do agree with the majority in this survey (not that it matters at all, as I'm not Thai), but then, wouldn't it be time to start solving some of the many problems, I mean for real, not with decrees, measures, crackdowns followed by ...nothing meaningfull, tangible, or thorough, as if the origins of the problems should not be addressed, and the scores of rotten apples behind those remain untouched, unscathed? The present absence of any progress on-the-field could make an outsider like me believe things were never really truly meant to be changed or reformed and when that would prove to become the factual reality, then this whole parade/charade would just have been a very expensive, time consuming, traditional Thai puppetry shades show, well below the already poor balance the 2006 coup has left behind. I keep my fingers crossed there will be a huge surge of energy soon, very soon, but I'm very afraid the close-to-a-standstill 'speed' this convoy has come to, after only five months running, tells a lot about the lack of power this carriage really has, caused by the lack of support it was able to become for its changes and reforms' train, from who is really of count in this country, the 'elites', old and new, the 'powers that be', the 'influential persons', who all don't want anything to really change, in depth, as it would compromise the well-oiled system they have set up and run to bludgeon the whole of this country to anaemia, in all impunity, to create ever growing wealth for themselves...

• Like 1

Heybruce - Do you really think this whole thing is in preparation for that? An honest question, not a challenge.

Ginjag - why don't you share with us what you feel will happen politically over the next 2,3,4 years?