Thai Treasury Department warns of fake 2 baht coins for 2016

webfact

Treasury Department warns of fake 2 baht coins for 2016

BANGKOK, 4 November 2014 (NNT) - The Treasury Department stated that the 2 baht coins for year 2016 that have been circulating around the web are actually counterfeit coins.

Director-General of the Treasury Department Naris Chaisutr dismissed a rumor that many coin collectors have been gathering these silver-colored 2 baht coins for speculation. He also stated that the coins were fake, as the department has stopped distributing silver-colored 2 baht coins since 2008 and reverted to producing the gold-colored ones instead.

Investigations reveal that the photos of the silver-colored 2 baht coins for 2016 that were posted online might have been photo-shopped by basing it on the image of an actual silver-colored 2 baht coin for 2006.

The department also warned that if any coin distributor illegally produced the counterfeit coins and released them to the public, they would be held accountable on related charges according to Article 9 of the Currency Act B.E. 2501 (1958). Violators will be fined up to 50,000 baht at the maximum or face a jail-term of up to 3 years, or both.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-04 footer_n.gif

How bleeding stupid if your gonna fake one fake the highest value coin. Thick as pig muck some folk.

These people will fake a 20 Baht note next 5555555555555 ha ha ha.

Thai 75 Baht notes for sale:

Contact, Bootle, Liverpool, on: 0151 447 1365

• Like 1

How bleeding stupid if your gonna fake one fake the highest value coin. Thick as pig muck some folk.

These people will fake a 20 Baht note next 5555555555555 ha ha ha.

Thai 75 Baht notes for sale:

Contact, Bootle, Liverpool, on: 0151 447 1365

Agree so difficult to detect even with modern tech., or Paddy/Murphy on ?????

whoever is faking 2b coins must be doing a mint, as a metal for the coin is worth over 2b

What about the Satang 8 x 25s =2 baht.....................joke why the hell didn't they fake the 25 satang coin ??? OH sorry forgot only Bic C Tesco-7-11 etc are allowed to use them, most other shops refuse legal tender.(satang)

whoever is faking 2b coins must be doing a mint, as a metal for the coin is worth over 2b

That depends upon whether they have acces to a progression press tool, and passivate finish, and how many are produced and circulated before they are discovered, using cheap CS roll steels pressing a few thousand at a time (on a large flat bed, progression tool, imprinting both sides in one swoop, before crack and break and roll both edges up, and barreling.)

I guess Soutpeel will be along soon to tell me I know not what I'm talking about?

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 1

Making money, so where is the problem, I admire industrious people that make lots of money and preplanning skills, if the Thai Administration thought past next year in advance the planning for infrastructure like roads , schools, police stations and even railways, the place might have some chance , come 2016 these people will be well positioned to take advantage of first off the rank , err that is unless the good General stops coins and issues only 5 Bht notes, upwards. coffee1.gif

"The Treasury Department stated that the 2 baht coins for year 2016 that have been circulating around the web are actually counterfeit coins."

Utterly worthless. What's the next scam they are going to report....Fake Nam Pla?

Edited by jaltsc

In related news:

Thailand's Seven Eleven stores are reporting an increase in counterfeit 1 baht rebate stamps. Somchai na Patpong of Seven Eleven's corporate HQ says: "It is a big concern. They look fake under UV light and smell funny. The sticky part doesn't work well also. This is damaging our image nationally and Thailand's image internationally. I think they are made on fishing ships by Burmese slaves, because they smell of fish. We have now in our stores a 'Fake Stamp Detector Kit' made in the UK and it is available for purchase at 199 baht."

• Like 2

Probably one of the most ridiculous cases of forgery I ever heard of.

Maybe next thing the mastermind behind this will come up with is forging US pennies. If he mints a few million of them he might be able to buy himself a Ford pickup.

Counterfeit 7-11 stamps, now there's a route to an easy fortune! Stinks of a fishing boat with a slave crew? This guy has never been to Ranong.

Note to confused persons - rare coins have a perceived value much higher than the face value to coin collectors (as prominently mentioned in the OP). How they know that 2016 coins will be rare is beyond me.

BTW do Thai coins use the western calender date? Sorry, back in fiscal servitude, with no Thai coins to examine.

Edited by halloween

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why on Earth would they make fakes of 2 baht coins? Now I could understand counterfeiting larger denomination notes but 2 baht coins? Ridiculous!!!

it is reported that these coins are "circulating" on the internet, although I can find no such actual web sites. So is the 2016 dated 2-baht coin real?

If the coins are real and being advertised as mint errors, ie., having wrong date and color, their value would be substantially greater than 2 baht, assuming they were legitimately produced and distributed by the mint. In numismatics the worth of a coin is rarely dependent on its face value. It is also not unheard of where mint personnel themselves knowingly produce errors with the intention of selling them privately to dealers who are unaware of the fabrications.

• Like 1

I detest 2 baht coins. At least with the 1 bahts you can use them on the bts and mrt. The 2 bahts are just useless once they get home as they just go into the pile of change and never go out again. 1 bahts do for bts and mrt usage.

I will exchange my draw full of satang then for your draw full of 2 Bahts.thumbsup.gif agree though drop the 2 Baht and the more stupid Satang.

Note to confused persons - rare coins have a perceived value much higher than the face value to coin collectors (as prominently mentioned in the OP). How they know that 2016 coins will be rare is beyond me.

BTW do Thai coins use the western calender date? Sorry, back in fiscal servitude, with no Thai coins to examine.

Thai coins actually use a Buddhist calendar date, which is 543 years ahead of the Western calendar date. So year 2016 is actually year 2559 in the Buddhist Era.

Regarding your comment on how they know the coins in 2016 will be rare, I think you might have been confused as I am in how the article was worded. Personally, I don't think the OP meant to say that there will be counterfeit 2 baht coins in two years ahead but they are actually saying that there are certain 2 baht coins in 2014 that are actually dated in 2016.

Have a look at the actual Thai coins here though. The one on the left is a silver-colored 2 baht coin produced in BE 2549 (year 2006) and the one on the right is a gold-colored one produced in BE 2551 (year 2008). The counterfeit coin the OP is describing would be similar to the one on the left with it's year changed to BE 2559 (year 2016).

DSCF7987c.jpg