US mid-terms: Republicans win control of the Senate

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Neo cons back in power. So glad I renounced US citizenship before coming to Thailand. Computer models of thermonuclear war clouds show it will be from Europe to the US. I will stay in Thailand. alt=thumbsup.gif>

Thank you for renouncing you U.S. citizenship (although my guess is that you never were a U.S. citizen) that means that there is one less left wing nut casting in vote thumbsup.gif

555.well put

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The American public has just handed back the keys to the hen house to the foxes.

And the foxes found all the hen's had been killed in the last few years & left to rot.
What a mess the foxes have to deal with.....ah well onwards

Yes, what a mess, employment up, deficit down, dollar strengthening, my stocks doing quite well, thank you. Damn that Obama and all those Democrats.

Yes indeed what a mess, however lets take a look at the actual facts - Employment up??? Actually labor force participation rates are far lower now than when Obama was elected, a simple translation is that even though the population has grown over the last 6 years there are actually FEWER people in the workforce now than when Obama was elected, I wouldn't worry too much though as many of those displaced workers are now on food stamps and welfare (the Dems bread and butter electorate) sad.png Deficit down??? This is a partial truth, YOY the deficit is down slightly due to the Republicans forcing the sequester, of course when you run larger and larger deficits year after year after year and then you are forced to tighten the purse strings a little then the deficit will be down vs. the previous year. The real story here is in the debt and once again Obama gets a miserable failing grade here as well, the U.S. national debt stood at $10.5 trillion when Obama took office and now less than 6 years later it is very near $18 trillion and is on track to hit $22 trillion by the time Obama leaves office sad.png Dollar strengthening??? When Obama was elected President the Baht:Dollar rate was right at 35, now granted the Dollar has made a recent surge since the announcement of the end of QE however it is still not yet back to even 33 (close though!) This is also after nearly 15 years of the Dollar being kept artificially low to help U.S. multinational companies increase their overseas sales and so it really has little to do with Obama sad.png Stock markets at record highs- YES indeed, and I have enjoyed this as well, however as we both know this is largely due to the FEDs printing all that cheap money and then loaning it out to the banksters at around 0 percent so that all their hedge fund-arbitrage-HFT clients (Obamas largest contributors by the way) can bid up the market. The retail investor numbers have grown smaller and smaller every year since Obama has been in office, just as another poster here said "Obama rails against the 1 percenters but it is the 1 percenters that have enjoyed their largest increase in wealth since Obama took office" Hmm verry interesting observation! "Damm Obama and all those Democrats"- Now here my friend you finally broken in the the land of truth. God bless America, and after last nights results I say that once again with conviction thumbsup.gif

No change. It will just slow the government from spending money and passing too many laws. Not a bad thing. The American people need little help from the government though 47% like the handouts.

Quite the opposite. After finally beginning to recover from the fiscal crises and cut the deficit by somewhere between 1/3-1/2, the US will return to the ballooning budget deficits and wasteful fiscal policies of the Republican party. And it's probably time to spend another trillion dollars on a new or expanded war or two.

Joy.

Cut the deficit.....555. You Liberals have a funny way of using Mathematics.

The American public has just handed back the keys to the hen house to the foxes.

And the foxes found all the hen's had been killed in the last few years & left to rot.

What a mess the foxes have to deal with.....ah well onwards

Yes, what a mess, employment up, deficit down, dollar strengthening, my stocks doing quite well, thank you. Damn that Obama and all those Democrats.

Yes indeed what a mess, however lets take a look at the actual facts - Employment up??? Actually labor force participation rates are far lower now than when Obama was elected, a simple translation is that even though the population has grown over the last 6 years there are actually FEWER people in the workforce now than when Obama was elected, I wouldn't worry too much though as many of those displaced workers are now on food stamps and welfare (the Dems bread and butter electorate) sad.png Deficit down??? This is a partial truth, YOY the deficit is down slightly due to the Republicans forcing the sequester, of course when you run larger and larger deficits year after year after year and then you are forced to tighten the purse strings a little then the deficit will be down vs. the previous year. The real story here is in the debt and once again Obama gets a miserable failing grade here as well, the U.S. national debt stood at $10.5 trillion when Obama took office and now less than 6 years later it is very near $18 trillion and is on track to hit $22 trillion by the time Obama leaves office sad.png Dollar strengthening??? When Obama was elected President the Baht:Dollar rate was right at 35, now granted the Dollar has made a recent surge since the announcement of the end of QE however it is still not yet back to even 33 (close though!) This is also after nearly 15 years of the Dollar being kept artificially low to help U.S. multinational companies increase their overseas sales and so it really has little to do with Obama sad.png Stock markets at record highs- YES indeed, and I have enjoyed this as well, however as we both know this is largely due to the FEDs printing all that cheap money and then loaning it out to the banksters at around 0 percent so that all their hedge fund-arbitrage-HFT clients (Obamas largest contributors by the way) can bid up the market. The retail investor numbers have grown smaller and smaller every year since Obama has been in office, just as another poster here said "Obama rails against the 1 percenters but it is the 1 percenters that have enjoyed their largest increase in wealth since Obama took office" Hmm verry interesting observation! "Damm Obama and all those Democrats"- Now here my friend you finally broken in the the land of truth. God bless America, and after last nights results I say that once again with conviction.

Well, we will see. The Republicans now control both houses of Congress and have a conservative SCOTUS. Let us see what is done. I wish well, but I fear the reality of continued and perhaps even increased military spending, perhaps cuts to wealthy taxes (certainly no increase to help address the wealth gap). It is the Republicans lead for two years. I am inclined to think the Republican internal struggle to gain front runner status for a Presidential run will be a major problem for the party. All eyes are now on the Republicans...it's theirs to loose.

• Like 1

The BBC reported that this was the most expensive election in American history and 55% was funded by "Dark Money". Any time money is given to a politician to influence legislation it is a bribe under any guise.The American law makers have legalized corruption and bribes in the form of campaign contributions. When an American senator or congressman leaves office, the campaign contributions in his war chest do not go to the public. Some of the money goes to the party and he keeps the rest.

Lets continue on that line of thought and let the good folks here know that it was actually the losers (democrats) who out raised and out spent the winners(republicans), so it just goes to show that even with more money you can't always buy an election, sometimes the people finally get fed up and vote the clowns out and that is what happened yesterday smile.png BTW the only politicians that "keep the rest" are the ones that wind up in jail, I thought that the BBC reporters would know that rolleyes.gif With that said the U.S. political system does need massive campaign finance reform and term limits as well, a good start would be to enact the fair tax and abolish the IRS, that alone would make K street look like a ghost town and keep the real estate agents in Fairfax county Virginia busy for years trying to sell all the empty houses that use to be lived in by the hordes that live off sucking the teet of government thumbsup.gif

No change. It will just slow the government from spending money and passing too many laws. Not a bad thing. The American people need little help from the government though 47% like the handouts.

Quite the opposite. After finally beginning to recover from the fiscal crises and cut the deficit by somewhere between 1/3-1/2, the US will return to the ballooning budget deficits and wasteful fiscal policies of the Republican party. And it's probably time to spend another trillion dollars on a new or expanded war or two.

Joy.

Cut the deficit.....555. You Liberals have a funny way of using Mathematics.

I found the same to be true with the Reagan tax cuts and huge increases in national debt. Somehow he was promoted as a great mathematician.

• Like 1

Americans have indeed spoken...... Now to cut the head from the Rooster in the House.....Ma...!!! Get the grease hot....we're having Fried Chicken tonight.

You may continue weeping Libs.

For two years. No issue, the Repubicans (unless they change their spots) will self distruct as usual. Get back to the Eisenhower, jeez even Goldwater basis and they might present an attractive moderate image. Now Cruz, Paul, et. al. is not a pretty picture to attract voters. Yes, they won the mid-terms but, and this was their own plan, it was a vote against Obama not for Republican policies.

I found the same to be true with the Reagan tax cuts and huge increases in national debt. Somehow he was promoted as a great mathematician.

The American people have deemed Reagan the best president since WW II and Obama the worst. Reagan must have been doing something right.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/poll-obama-worst-president-since-wwii-108507.html

Edited by Ulysses G.

So the republicans won the senate.

We know they are against everything Obama has ever spoken or done.

But what are they FOR?

They ran a very negative campaign all about hating Obama.

But what are they FOR?

Now they control congress and the senate.

They are supposed to GOVERN NOW and present bills to Obama that he will be ABLE to sign.

Will they?

Of course they won't!

Seems like you have fallen victim to Democrats propaganda...the Republicans presented many meaningful pieces of legislation to the Senate to be discussed and voted on before going to the Pres desk for signature...the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid refused to forward the legislation for consideration...preferring instead...as a political ploy...to blame the Repubs for the gridlock in Congress...

With that self-serving politician on the sidelines...the President will have ample opportunity to sign into law legislation passed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate...such things as IRS reform, Tweaking to the Obamacare Health care Law, Immigration reform, economy, debt and budget issues...

The BIG question is my friend...will Obama sign into law the legislation passed by both houses of Congress...or will he too play politics and veto their efforts...I suspect he will not want to give the Republicans any credit going into the next Presidential election in 2016...will again solicit the liberal Dem press to play up the gridlock, race, and women card for Hillary...

Bottom line...most US politicians are more interested in positioning themselves and their party for the next election...letting the country go slowly into ruin...

Employment up??? Actually labor force participation rates are far lower now than when Obama was elected

Actually yes, very interesting charts as the labor force participation rates, apart from men over 55, having been trending down since about 1999, with a relatively sharp increase in the downward slope since the recession in 2008. Clearly Obama failed to implement policies to halt the trend initiated by the follies of the Clinton/Bush years. And in fact, Obama kept many of the same failed fiscal policies, and policy makers, and contrary to his campaign promises did not implement any substantive changes. Thus it was Obama's own base that failed to show up for the elections and enabled the party most specifically responsible for the decreasing labor force participation rates to regain some temporary power.

Of course it is more complicated than just the economics (contrary to those who have never taken a single course in the subject like to proclaim so loudly) as the blowback from Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom have ratcheted up the complexity of the world by a quantum leap and led to a further lack of comprehension of the larger world by the American electorate who then desperately seek someone to blame for their inability to comprehend events.

Edited by Johpa

So the republicans won the senate.

We know they are against everything Obama has ever spoken or done.

But what are they FOR?

They ran a very negative campaign all about hating Obama.

But what are they FOR?

Now they control congress and the senate.

They are supposed to GOVERN NOW and present bills to Obama that he will be ABLE to sign.

Will they?

Of course they won't!

They haven't even been sworn in yet, JT.

After that, give them at least one week before you go ballistic.

The good news is Harry Reid won't be able to hold up any more legislation as of 4 January 2015.

It would also appear the Republicans aren't the only ones that hated Obama. He was shunned by all the Democrats that were running for office.

I didn't even bothered to vote!

by voting it only encourages them, they'l think that they were elected, and that they have a mandate .

In America there is only one party. The property party and it has two wings , the conservative and the liberal.

some call it , the republicans and the democrats.

What was the difference between the Bush presidency, and the Obama presidency? Same, wars same crap, different day.

some change around the edges, to show something is being done, but nothing substantial.

You got me in your opening statement.... With that you have no say. Now go away.

Sorry to bother you with my opinion, I dont know what I was thinking, actually I was not thinking.

If I promised not to do it again and check in with you before I post again , could I please stay?

Makes no difference. The congress AND senate is now controlled by right wing loonies. These people actually think Ted Cruz is a reasonable man. What they are going to be like is totally predictable.

Unfortunately they're not even as predictable as we think as their more ultra neo conservative than anything before, and well funded.

Edited by japsportscarmad

The American people have deemed Reagan the best president since WW II and Obama the worst. Reagan must have been doing something right.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/poll-obama-worst-president-since-wwii-108507.html

While Reagan did cut taxes and "increase" the debt, it was well within the annual growth in the economy -- and the situation was a combination of the congress which refused to cut anything, and Reagan wanting to cut taxes and stimulate the economy (which it needed after Carter). That is NOTHING like what Bush jr. and now Obama have done with the debt, which even with cooked accounting books is closing in on 20 trillion dollars -- which is completely out of whack with the economy. Lets say that the average historical interest rate returned (about 5%) - a rough calculation would mean that 5% of 20 trillion dollars is 1 trillion in interest at those rates..... that blows a hole in the government finances. On top of that the US government mixes things like social security taxes in, while leaving out the obligations that are part of it... which if a CEO did that they would be locked up. The real annual deficit is actually much much higher.... but it is hidden from the taxpayers for now. The government tax revenue is at record levels - and yet because the government is unable to control spending.... is still racking up debt at greater than the economy is growing (debt to GDP). Canada which has an economy tightly tied to the US -- is expected to record a budget surplus this year after working to reduce the annual deficit since the economy tanked. The US on the other hand has not had a new budget because Harry Reid refused to bring it to a vote because he did not want a record that could be used against the Democratic congressmen/women. Bush jr and Obama make Reagan, Bush Sr., and Clinton look like economic geniuses in comparison.

Makes no difference. The congress AND senate is now controlled by right wing loonies. These people actually think Ted Cruz is a reasonable man. What they are going to be like is totally predictable.

Right wing loonies as compared to that famous left wing loony, Harry Reid (D-NV)?

The Democratic caucus thinks Reid is a reasonable man.

The opinion of the electorate on Tuesday would indicate they don't agree with your assessment of what a loon is.

Perhaps only 30-35% voted so hardly an overwhelming show of suport.

Right wing loonies as compared to that famous left wing loony, Harry Reid (D-NV)?

The opinion of the electorate on Tuesday would indicate they don't agree with your assessment of what a loon is.

Perhaps only 30-35% voted so hardly an overwhelming show of suport.

I don't know, maybe the rest thought all their alternatives were too loony to support :P

Joy.

Those cuts happened, because Obama got caught running his mouth, and the Republicans called him on it.

Sounds like a silly democratic talking point: "We are GLAD we lost, because it will help Hillary."

How will she not have to defend Obama? He is very likely going to be vetoing Republican bills for the next two years , instead of getting Harry Reid to refuse to bring them up for a vote, like he has been doing. Any way that you look at it, the Republican won a big victory today and they are far better off than they have been. biggrin.png

Yep, they won a big big today. So, control of the House and Senate. A conservative SCOTUS. Let's see what they do with this. They have two years to show results. Now no Democratic controlled Senate to block them.

If the President refuses to sign any legislation that the congress sends him, how is that control? The only thing that the majorities in senate/house hopefully can accomplish, is to try to control the national debt left us by Bush/Obama.

As opposed to the 7 or 8 Trillion Obama tacked on?

• Like 1

It wasn't a national election -- president and vice president. -- but the national participation figure is that 38% of all registered voters went to their local polling station to vote.

The states in grey did not have a senate race this year. I count 15 states that did not have a senate race to vote in this year, but which did have House races, and some of which did have governor's races that were also affected by voter participation.

map-of-2014-senate-elections-103114.gif

I don't normally argue voter turnout data because participation rates are consistently between 47% to 53% of all registered voters, so what would be the point.

However, you need more than a national voter participation base of 38% if you want to claim a mandate. The angry white voters who did show up decided the election, that's all. The data show it.

So the "opinion of the electorate" is that 62% didn't have a senate race or didn't care to vote. That is about 12% above the mean norm in this respect. Conversely, 12% of those that normally vote stayed home this time. Twelve percent subtracted from a fifty percent mean norm equals the 38% participation rate this time around.

That's just not a mandate by even adjusted standards and norms.

Note: The CCN map erroneously shows a green gain when in fact the Republican party senator of the state won re-election. It also shows North Carolina as a D party win which is wrong....the R party challenger won in the state. I assume the grey states are a more accurate presentation.

Edited by Publicus

Did the 38% that chose to vote actually vote on the big ticket items that are being espoused here? Immigration? Deficit? Healthcare?

Or are they like the Texan who voted before he left to come over here to work. His take is, "The Republicans want to dictate what my daughter can do with her own body and the Democrats want to take away my guns."

There you have it, personal issues were most important. His daughters right to chose to have an abortion and his right to have firearms. Abortion and gun control; the real big ticket items.

The whole premise of the US Constitution is enabling personal freedoms and the pursuit of happiness. No denying the incumbents are getting deep in our underwear drawers but are the Republicans really any better?

PS. He voted Democrat btw.

As opposed to the 7 or 8 Trillion Obama tacked on?

Given the collapsed economy that Obama inherited, it was to be expected that the debt would increase partly as a result of both the stimulus and the need to feed those who lost their jobs and homes to the fraud on Wall Street. But Obama was still beholden to corporate America and let the bankers go free and refused to raise taxes on the upper 1% and upon the corporations or to close the loopholes that allow corporations to park profits offshore via accounting legerdemain. Yes, there are those who would see the US become a second class exporting nation by advocating the lowering corporate taxes to make exports more competitive. But I shudder to think what would happen to the US if it became another Thailand ruled by a disinterested ruling elite with no attachment whatsoever to nationhood.