Suvarnabhumi Immigration pulled me from desk; questioned me about Thai language

Time to learn some Thai. It's a relatively easy language.

It's actually one of the most difficult to learn for a Westerner.

Not really. I'm completely fluent in it and sound like a Thai - and I know I'm not the only one. You just need some street smarts and stop instinctively speaking Thai using your native accent or letting your native accent interfere with learning Thai. In any given country one should be able to pick up the local language and eventually become fluent over time if residing in said country for an extended period.

It also helps a lot if you are already bilingual or fluent in other languages before attempting Thai. I grew up speaking multiple languages since birth, so have a bit of a gift when it comes to language acquisition. Having said that, I don't want to brag but all I can say is Thai really isn't that difficult. I see so many westerners speaking Chinese quite well whenever I'm in China (I personally only speak intermediate conversational Chinese, including some reading and writing) so I can't understand the difficulty about learning Thai amongst westerners when Chinese is so much more difficult, mainly due to the many characters you need to learn, and also the ability to decipher the difference between it's many, many homophones (words that sound the same but have different meanings).

Thai actually doesn't have that many homophones, it's more about being able to tell the difference between words that have different meanings based on changes in pitch or tones (to a trained ear they do sound different hence why strictly speaking I wouldn't consider them to be homophones unless they have the same tone and same pronunciation). Apart from that, you have to assume that English homophones (pick any 2 words that sound the same but have different meanings) are not going to be the same in Thai. For example, to wear (an item of clothing) and wear (as in this bicycle tire/tyre shows signs of wear or deterioration).

This is one of the biggest problems I've always faced when learning new languages - making those incorrect assumptions about the transferability of homophones. In Thai to wear a piece of clothing is "sai" for example "sai seua", while wear or deterioration is "seuk" or "seuk hro". So completely different words are used - you can't say "sai" when referring to a worn bicycle tyre. It just doesn't make one bit of sense.

Dude - I am impressed how did you manage to speak multiple languages when you were born? LOL I am also fluent in lots of languages including Klingon.

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. I'm completely fluent in it and sound like a Thai - and I know I'm not the only one. You just need some street smarts and stop instinctively speaking Thai using your native accent or letting your native accent interfere with learning Thai. In any given country one should be able to pick up the local language and eventually become fluent over time if residing in said country for an extended period.

It also helps a lot if you are already bilingual or fluent in other languages before attempting Thai. I grew up speaking multiple languages since birth, so have a bit of a gift when it comes to language acquisition. Having said that, I don't want to brag but all I can say is Thai really isn't that difficult. I see so many westerners speaking Chinese quite well whenever I'm in China (I personally only speak intermediate conversational Chinese, including some reading and writing) so I can't understand the difficulty about learning Thai amongst westerners when Chinese is so much more difficult, mainly due to the many characters you need to learn, and also the ability to decipher the difference between it's many, many homophones (words that sound the same but have different meanings).

Thai actually doesn't have that many homophones, it's more about being able to tell the difference between words that have different meanings based on changes in pitch or tones (to a trained ear they do sound different hence why strictly speaking I wouldn't consider them to be homophones unless they have the same tone and same pronunciation). Apart from that, you have to assume that English homophones (pick any 2 words that sound the same but have different meanings) are not going to be the same in Thai. For example, to wear (an item of clothing) and wear (as in this bicycle tire/tyre shows signs of wear or deterioration).

This is one of the biggest problems I've always faced when learning new languages - making those incorrect assumptions about the transferability of homophones. In Thai to wear a piece of clothing is "sai" for example "sai seua", while wear or deterioration is "seuk" or "seuk hro". So completely different words are used - you can't say "sai" when referring to a worn bicycle tyre. It just doesn't make one bit of sense.

Wow, your 1 smart ding a ling aren't you. I couldn't be bothered to read your entire story of tripe, but I'm sure that you have been here for a 100 years and are so experienced in Thai life.

Maybe you also have your Thai citizenship if your so good at the Thai language.

• Like 1

The Thai language is a real struggle for someone who is tone deaf. Reading/writing not so much, but listening/speaking is all but impossible. Use the wrong inflection/tone of a single syllable and odds are very high that a Thai person will NOT understand you.

• Like 1

There seems to be plenty of Language schools out there " desperate for business " perhaps its time to see who can come up with the best price! ( 17,000 baht visa & lessons was the going rate but for sure you can get lower than that now!

Farang Jaidee

Nonsense - at least at a basic level. The grammar is simple, the pronunciation comes with a bit of time and practice, and you don't need a huge vocabulary in a country where people are unlikely to start spontaneously discussing philosophy. The people are also pretty patient with those who are making the effort to speak the language. At a higher level, it is difficult, yes - or has been for me. That's when the simple grammar starts to make things difficult.

Try Japanese - it's murder. A minefield.

• Like 1

Dude - I am impressed how did you manage to speak multiple languages when you were born? LOL I am also fluent in lots of languages including Klingon.

Growing up in a multi-lingual family with roots in different countries, moving around a lot when I was younger.

But hey being fluent in Klingon is pretty cool too. I know another guy who is fluent in klingon.

Interestingly enough, I was similarly questioned in rapid fire Thai when I entered last month on a Non 'O'. There was nothing unpleasant or hostile in the chap's demeanour, but I just found it odd that I would be grilled when I was not on an 'ED'. He seemed particularly interested in which province my missus came from for some reason, but seemed satisfied enough with my answers such as they were in my poor Thai and let me in without further ado.

Any ideas why, considering I have never had an 'ED' visa?

Might be a normal small talk.

Although I never experienced that in so many years. The offficers are usually mute as a fish.

Did you have a Non O based on marriage?

Then maybe the question was some kind of a test, checking whether you at least know where your wife lives.

Too many married for papers.

Based on marriage, correct.

I was thinking again: just smalltalk. Where would he know from where your wife is from?

Any province would have been good I guess smile.png

That kind of smalltalk sometimes happens at police checkpoints on the roads.

Where you live? Where your from (nationality)? You have Thai wife? ...

Not too much to think about.

• Like 1

Happened to me once.. When I was a Monk in Thailand. In 7 years, went out and back in three times, 3 ed visa's. I got pulled out of line, sent to the supervisors cubicle. He started talking to me in Thai, I answered in very bad Thai.. He asked me about my life as a monk and if I understood Pali, the language of chanting, praying etc. When I started the chanting and blessing prayers, he smiled, wai'ed me and sent me on my way. My Thai was terrible, but my Pali is spot on. wai.gif

Mac;

Sorry, I would not characterize Thai as easy. Of course the question is "relative" to what other foreign language. What yardstick are you using?

Your language schools have a good reputation. Be straight with your prospective students, Thai as in any foreign language can be learned. It will take motivation, and hard work. For us western folk we need to learn new sounds unfamiliar to our ears and we need to train the muscles in our mouth to make those new sounds. Difficult and time consuming.

Attending class isn't enough - you have to apply yourself. They are hard work hours. Adult learning a new foreign language is not an easy task. Attending class is not enough - you have to work and work hard at it.

Nothing worth having comes cheap or easy.

Actually Thai is pretty easy to pickup if you stay in an all Thai condo. Now english on the other hand is the hardest language to learn as you can plainly see from the TVF posters here self included.

When I studied Spanish in high school for 2 years as a compulsory university entrance requirement I was able to speak and read at a rudimentary level.

Spending 3 weeks in central Mexico using the language my ability doubled.

I think a logical assumption of immigration about people asking to stay in Thailand to study Thai language is they will be motivated and have everyday practical chances to practice the language.

Acquisition of the language in classes would likely be only half the learning process.

Learning to read Thai helps a lot with pronunciation. When I pronounce wrong and someone spells the word then I listen more carefully for tones.

I would define a loophole as a process being used in a manner not intended or desired by the rule.

Possibly technically legal but not the reason for the rule or law.

Common in taxes and different legal situations.

Lawyers are often hired to exploit loopholes.

It is common to rewrite laws and add regulations when the intended purpose is not being met.

Hence the crackdown and modified rules and increased scrutiny.

• Like 1

I can quite understand why the immigration officer can be sure you have not been attending language school for the whole year as you only speak like a 10 year old. After all he only learnt English for 3 months and can speak and read English like a western Phd.

On a similar subject, I have been on a retirement visa for 16 years. I married my Thai wife shortly after getting the first retirement visa, and I am wondering a) if it is worth changing to a married visa and cool.png what the procedure would be.

I assume you mean a retirement extension (unless you are leaving the country and getting a new visa every year). If on a retirement extension, stick with it. Although the financial proof requirement is higher, you can do the renewal yourself and it is granted same-day at your local Immigration shop. A marriage extension means loads of bizarre paperwork, your wife attending the renewal process to co-sign everything and a two-stage approval where you get 30-days temporary approval whilst your tome of paperwork gets approved (or not) in Bangkok.
  • Like 1

A marriage extension means loads of bizarre paperwork, your wife attending the renewal process to co-sign everything and a two-stage approval where you get 30-days temporary approval whilst your tome of paperwork gets approved (or not) in Bangkok.

What is bizarre about the marriage certificate, marriage registry, wife house book and ID card.

Unless you live within the central region of the country the paperwork is not sent to Bangkok. It is sent to the immigration division office responsible for the region where you live.

I have done 7 of them so I can say it is not that a big a deal to do them.

Have you ever done one?

• Like 1

A marriage extension means loads of bizarre paperwork, your wife attending the renewal process to co-sign everything and a two-stage approval where you get 30-days temporary approval whilst your tome of paperwork gets approved (or not) in Bangkok.

What is bizarre about the marriage certificate, marriage registry, wife house book and ID card.

Unless you live within the central region of the country the paperwork is not sent to Bangkok. It is sent to the immigration division office responsible for the region where you live.

Have you ever done one?

Easy there Tonto. There's nothing at all bizarre about providing hand-written maps showing your house and the Immigration office location. And signing tomes of forms, usually printed on the backside of sheets of obviously recycled paper that have already had some other poor buggers extension support rubbish printed on it. Just as there's absolutely nothing strange about having to provide pictures of your house (with you and the wife), the house number (with you and the wife) and the bedroom (with you and your wife). Whether it 'goes to Bangkok' as the nice Immigration lady said or just down the road to Khon Kaen is neither here nor there since it STILL takes 30-odd days and you have to go back and waste another half-a-page in the passport.

You are my hero if you have done 7 of those arcane rituals. Well done that man. I only managed a couple and then I switched to retirement extensions for which I (and my wife) are forever grateful.

Have you ever done one?

• Like 1

Have you ever done one?

Easy there Tonto. There's nothing at all bizarre about providing hand-written maps showing your house and the Immigration office location. And signing tomes of forms, usually printed on the backside of sheets of obviously recycled paper that have already had some other poor buggers extension support rubbish printed on it. Just as there's absolutely nothing strange about having to provide pictures of your house (with you and the wife), the house number (with you and the wife) and the bedroom (with you and your wife). Whether it 'goes to Bangkok' as the nice Immigration lady said or just down the road to Khon Kaen is neither here nor there since it STILL takes 30-odd days and you have to go back and waste another half-a-page in the passport.

You are my hero if you have done 7 of those arcane rituals. Well done that man. I only managed a couple and then I switched to retirement extensions for which I (and my wife) are forever grateful.

Have you ever done one?

You wrote paperwork, Some offices want a map for retirement extensions. The map only has to be from nearest main road or street. I have used the same map for the last 3 years just make a copy of it.

I don't consider the 4 photos bizarre or even paperwork.

I don't consider going back after the at the end of the under consideration period all that big problem.

I don't consider it worth the extra financial proof to get one for.retirement. Also I consider it the correct extension for me since I am here to live with my family not for retirement.

All 7 of my extensions have been approved at division 4 headquarters in Korat. I was told where the approval would be done when I did my first extension here in Ubon.

• Like 1

My hero! Do you like the sound of your own voice?

I like seeing my posts, particularly the ones that irrelevant and uncivil. No hero here.

Have to completely agree with you on this. I'm bilingual and find it easy enough to better understand foreign languages and the complexities involved in acquiring a new language.

I found Thai difficult in the first year/year and a half, particularly the tones. But in the mean time, I seem to have improved dramatically and very seldom have problems communicating basic ideas, opinions, requests, etc. in Thai with Thais.

I think the main obstacle to learning a foreign language for many native English speakers seems to be our assumption that "we speak English, the world understands/should understand us". This in turn makes many too lazy (ignorant?) to try to study a foreign language.

As to the OP: If you're here on an ED visa, do put some effort into trying to learn Thai... it might just save you the embarrassment of having to repeat "mai kao jai" over and over again the next time you meet an immigration officer. Just some friend advice... Up to you, na.