pedestrian hit by a bus

Asiantravel

I spend most of the time in a car here, but of course sometimes as a pedestrian, I am glad this subject came up, because I have always been amazed by the Thai "System" of the location and priority at pedestrian crossings.

In the UK for example, the pedestrian has the right of way when stepping on, or about to step on a crossing that has no traffic / pedestrian lights.

In Thailand you "Run the gauntlet" when attempting to cross the road at either sort of crossing, light controlled or not.

The most crazy example of the location of these crossings can be found at the crossroads of Pattaya Thai, and Second road, I am sure both drivers and pedestrians alike have had scary moments here, by not being sure who has the right of way. I

think that someone coming here for the first time from Europe or America would be left standing quivering by the roadside, deciding when would be a safe moment to cross.

I was recently in Saigon where the traffic situation is much worse, mostly bicycles and motorbikes, but the Vietnamese drivers have somehow developed the extraordinary skill of avoiding you, maybe it's a genetic thing that make them so good at

this !

My friend and I were standing at a very busy intersection for ages, just waiting for the right moment to cross, but that did not happen because there was never a break in the traffic flow, as they all jumped the lights in both directions, we then saw a

very elegant lady coming up beside us with a poodle on a two meter lead, she just walked straight past us and across the road, not looking either way, without batting an eyelid !!

So what is the solution ? I must say, I really don't know if there is one.

Just walk downstream from the lady & her dog.

So how do I cross if she does not happen to be there when I am?