Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Actually, my Thai boss signed the back of one of my son's photos when we got the original passport all those years ago. That person is still my boss and he is definitely of good standing.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the 17th I sent an email to the helpline and consular services enquiring about the status of my application. I had an answer from consular services the next day saying the enquiry had been passed to Liverpool and they would be in touch. As of this morning I had not heard anything further so sent out a reminder.

About 4.30 this afternoon I had a call from Trendy to say they had my passport, 10 weeks to the day since application.

• Like 1

The email also advises as follows the procedure if you want someone to collect on your behalf.

If a third party representative will be collecting the passport on your behalf they will be required to bring the following with them when collecting:

· The previous passports for cancellation

· Photo ID of the third party

· A signed letter giving the third party authorisation from you stating their name and that you are content for them to collect the passport on your behalf.

· If a third party representative is collecting a child's passport the letter of authority must be provided and signed by the person who has parental responsibility, and who signed the declaration when the application was made.

​So come on you Bangkok entrepreneurs get that UK passport assistant services office open then we can all post everything instead of having to travel. Easy money for old rope and yet another convenient but totally unnecessary middle man.

Edited by parryhandy

What is required as proof of address for your passport?

I mean what documents, currently I have nothing, mere letter from the government of another EU nation addressed to me confirming my pension income.

Also, what is required for my 8 month old Krung Thai daughter as proof of address, all I have is the blue house book with her name in it.

will it be required to be translated to English by Minister of Foreign Affairs?

Thanks in advance.

The letter about your pension should be ok, if it's less than a year old. If it's not in English then it will need a certified translation attached.

For your daughter, a letter/report from the school with name/address should be fine, again with a translation attached if it is not in English.

Here is what HMPO told me:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

If you have an email address for the team in Liverpool great! please post it or PM it to me. My daughter is not at school yet and wont be for nearly 2 years so no school record or report, too young for employment record by a long shot!

ID card..way too young long way of 7 years old and Visa or residence permit, well she does not need one as she is half Thai, born here.

In short all we have for her is her name in the house book, Just wondering if that is enough.

The email also advises as follows the procedure if you want someone to collect on your behalf.

If a third party representative will be collecting the passport on your behalf they will be required to bring the following with them when collecting:

· The previous passports for cancellation

· Photo ID of the third party

· A signed letter giving the third party authorisation from you stating their name and that you are content for them to collect the passport on your behalf.

· If a third party representative is collecting a child's passport the letter of authority must be provided and signed by the person who has parental responsibility, and who signed the declaration when the application was made.

​So come on you Bangkok entrepreneurs get that UK passport assistant services office open then we can all post everything instead of having to travel. Easy money for old rope and yet another convenient but totally unnecessary middle man.

And since passports for children do not have to be made in person..another income stream!

I await a super agent too, might save me a bit of cash via a 3rd person!

Return bus to Bangkok +Taxi +overnight stay in modest accommodation x2 = not much change out of 6,000 bahts for the little one passport

and a further 3k when I do mine and "have to go to pick it up!"

I can see some cash in that from the many expats that live in Isaan, up north, on the islands or way down south!

Get in there somebody!

• Like 1

I guess for some of the " expats " who live in Thailand it would be considered " most inconvenient " to have to take a trip to Bangkok. ( especially for the ones that don't go anywhere or just "sit indoors all day watching TV and gaze at facebook ") Why not turn it in into " a fantastic adventure" ..? sunshine,exploring the great city and if you take the train you will probably get change from 200 baht!

Enjoy your wonderful adventure!

farang jaidee " joop joop " wub.png

This is a silly reply.

• Like 2

I mean what documents, currently I have nothing, mere letter from the government of another EU nation addressed to me confirming my pension income.

Also, what is required for my 8 month old Krung Thai daughter as proof of address, all I have is the blue house book with her name in it.

Thanks in advance.

Not difficult, you can use the following items ... Monthly bank statement, monthly electricity bill, monthly phone bill, etc ... .

If working in Thailand then the "employer" can confirm your address in a signed letter.

Thai banks don't issue monthly bank statements - or usually any statements at all.

Most foreigners can't have electricity bills or 'phone bills in their name since they don't have tabian baan. And mobile 'phone bills aren't acceptable.

And many aren't working (at least legally).

Not "not difficult" for many.

Your reply is incorrect ...

I receive every month two bank statements, one for my current A/c, and one for my C/card A/c.

In addition I also receive every month a statement about the electricity bill, plus two monthly statements about phone bills, one statement for phoning around Thailand, and one statement for phoning abroad.

Edited by personchester

I guess for some of the " expats " who live in Thailand it would be considered " most inconvenient " to have to take a trip to Bangkok. ( especially for the ones that don't go anywhere or just "sit indoors all day watching TV and gaze at facebook ") Why not turn it in into " a fantastic adventure" ..? sunshine,exploring the great city and if you take the train you will probably get change from 200 baht!

Enjoy your wonderful adventure!

farang jaidee " joop joop " wub.png

This is a silly reply.

Indeed, Some are disabled after shattering their femur, suffering a serious knee and hip injury as well as being paralysed in the ankle all the same leg and use crutches to get by. 16/17hr round trips to busy city most certainly not "a fantastic adventure" and most certainly inconvenient thank you very much!

oh not not mention older retiree´s who may find it not much fun.

Do you know of any other country that makes it´s expat´s go on a 3,200 KM total journey to renew their passports? that is about 3 or 4 times the distance from John O´groats to lands end.

Dear viewers!

Not only do many of you seem to lack " a spirit of adventure " but also lack " a sense of humour " ( most important these days..)

If you are going to the " wonderful " City of Bangkok you don't need to start spending outrageous costs of 500 baht a night! if i am spending an extra day in Bangkok,then take the evening train to Ayutthaya it's 1 hour 30 mins out of Bangkok's Hua Lampong at a huge cost of 15 baht.( loads of trains ) and then find yourself a room for the night from 150 baht by the train station.You see viewers i am " fully loaded " with good advice and fabulous ideas for you all....!!

farang jaidee " jing jing " wai2.gif

Thanks in advance.

Not difficult, you can use the following items ... Monthly bank statement, monthly electricity bill, monthly phone bill, etc ... .

If working in Thailand then the "employer" can confirm your address in a signed letter.

Thai banks don't issue monthly bank statements - or usually any statements at all.

Most foreigners can't have electricity bills or 'phone bills in their name since they don't have tabian baan. And mobile 'phone bills aren't acceptable.

And many aren't working (at least legally).

Not "not difficult" for many.

Your reply is incorrect ...

I receive every month two bank statements, one for my current A/c, and one for my C/card A/c.

In addition I also receive every month a statement about the electricity bill, plus two monthly statements about phone bills, one statement for phoning around Thailand, and one statement for phoning abroad.

I think it is you that is incorrect. I do not get any bank statements. I get an electricity bill and an internet bill but I have my own home and that cannot be taken as normal.

The requirements are not straightforward for the average person. Too many on here just look at things from there own perspective.

• Like 1

Collected my Son's passport from Trendy today.........the time line of my ordeal -

29th April - documents submitted to Trendy and money taken off my card 2 days later.

Several phone calls made to the UK helpline with the promise of being emailed in 72 hours.....never happened.

1st week in July managed to obtain an email address for Liverpool HMPO where they replied informing me the application was approved and sent for issue at the beginning of June. Several emails sent to Trendy asking if the passport was there and ready for collection.......zero response.

Trendy phoned me this week on Wednesday 23rd July and I picked up the passport this afternoon.

The girl that handed me the passport was very keen on retaining the DHL envelope, I kept hold of it only to discover the passport left the UK on the 2nd June and was received at Trendy 4th June.

The issue date in the passport was 30th May and Trendy sat on it for over 7 weeks.

Although HMPO are taking a long time to process the applications in my case 5 weeks, things are not being helped by the dogs dinner of an operation at Trendy. We have paid for the DHL fee can they not deliver to our house? I live in Bangkok so relatively easy for me to collect but I spare a thought for those in the islands and up North.

Well this is an interesting development, I wonder how many other people are in the same situation.

Thanks in advance.

Krung Thai daughter?

I presume you mean 'look krung' or half-caste.

You can get the blue book translated across from the UK Embassy in Wave Place.

Dear viewers!

Not only do many of you seem to lack " a spirit of adventure " but also lack " a sense of humour " ( most important these days..)

If you are going to the " wonderful " City of Bangkok you don't need to start spending outrageous costs of 500 baht a night! if i am spending an extra day in Bangkok,then take the evening train to Ayutthaya it's 1 hour 30 mins out of Bangkok's Hua Lampong at a huge cost of 15 baht.( loads of trains ) and then find yourself a room for the night from 150 baht by the train station.You see viewers i am " fully loaded " with good advice and fabulous ideas for you all....!!

Are you employed by the BMA as a PR consultant by any chance?

• Like 2

Dear viewers!

There is no such thing as a wonderful city.

Thanks in advance.

Krung Thai daughter?

I presume you mean 'look krung' or half-caste.

You can get the blue book translated across from the UK Embassy in Wave Place.

MY understanding of Krung Thai is Half Thai.

No, She does n´t look half caste, she looks 100% European and Zero Thai.

The letter about your pension should be ok, if it's less than a year old. If it's not in English then it will need a certified translation attached.

For your daughter, a letter/report from the school with name/address should be fine, again with a translation attached if it is not in English.

Here is what HMPO told me:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

If you have an email address for the team in Liverpool great! please post it or PM it to me. My daughter is not at school yet and wont be for nearly 2 years so no school record or report, too young for employment record by a long shot!

ID card..way too young long way of 7 years old and Visa or residence permit, well she does not need one as she is half Thai, born here.

In short all we have for her is her name in the house book, Just wondering if that is enough.

Sorry, I had misread your daughter as being eight years old not eight months.

Do you have any hospital records/hospital card for your daughter?

You could get a letter from the hospital with your daughter's name/address plus translate if necessary, this would definitely be acceptable as per the issued HMPO guidance group 2 notes quoted below:

Name and address evidence

Please provide one of the following:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• baptismal or naming certificate

medical/health card

• voter’s card

• parents’ death certificates if applicable

• immigration documents.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Was the round trip definitely 2000 km's? Just that you have never mentioned it before!

Glad you got the damned thing anwyay, but what are you going to talk about all day now??

Btw, did you not hve to go to the Brit embassy to get that letter for immigration before they transfer the visas?

Embassy was shut by the time I got there, only open until 11:00 for consular services, understand that it is possible to do this by email.

btw you can't transfer visas, only extensions/re-entry permits and entry stamps; for visas you show the old passport.

Just to confirm, the British Embassy will take the transfer authorization request by email, so you definitely don't need to go to the British Embassy in person, but it would of course be quicker.

Emailed asking, got a reply the next specifying required info, which I emailed straight back. they then replied that they would send the Transfer Authorisation Letter by EMS the next day, sure enough, it came the following day (to Phuket)..

For reference:

Dear .............,

Would you mind scan your old and new passport ( photo page only) and email to us, please. We also need to know type of your visa as well ( e.g . retirement, Non- immigrant, tourist etc) and the last date you entered Thailand.

Thank you very much

Consular Bangkok

I think the more people complain to UK passport offices, MPs etc about this cr@p deal the more chance the rules will be changed. Having to go to BKK to apply for a new passport, & then again to collect is a sick joke. I'm ok for another 8 years, but need a passport for my son if we want to have a holiday in UK. This BS would just make the whole idea too expensive, so we wont be going. Shame on UK govt. And this is on top of the BS about getting our wives & mothers of UK nationals to the UK.

We went to the UK once and 2 of my kids' passports were expired, but had Thai ones, which were much cheaper and easier to get.

If your son is a British citizen he doesnt need a passport to enter the UK.

Check with the airline first.

Just when this thread was starting to tail off.................................

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28519085

Bloody hell! Just as I make an appointment. If they do strike over poor pay and under staffing, then Pugh and May must resign. Or perhaps bring in a gang of chimps and see if they can do a better job.

Enough is enough. This is getting beyond a joke now.

• Like 1

Just when this thread was starting to tail off.................................

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28519085

Bloody hell! Just as I make an appointment. If they do strike over poor pay and under staffing, then Pugh and May must resign. Or perhaps bring in a gang of chimps and see if they can do a better job.

Enough is enough. This is getting beyond a joke now.

I will be getting my second passport when i am back i Glasgow next month. I'll do the walk in one day service to stop any hang ups

I submitted my passport to Trendy On 3rd of July and picked it up on Friday 25 July! So they CAN get their finger out when required. 22 days is not bad in this current situation.

World Record, surely? I would settle for double that. Lucky boy!