My experience at IDC for overstaying

ATF:

What money can buy.. blink.png

There was no question if I had money or not when I was put into room 7, that contained people worldwide. People were coming and going there too, some stayed a few days, and paid their tickets, and some stay for years..

I guess the rooms are much the same in the end.

Your story is amazing though, and is just unbelieveble for people who struggle daily inside there, to get through.

None of them have a clue this is even possible, at least in the room I stayed.

Sure money goes a long way but sometimes money won't work if they don't like you or you have been stitched up by someone.

The they just won't let you speak with anyone.

I've seen it all half the prisoners stand while the other half sleeps and then they change.

Anyway are you still at IDC or out now?

As told, I was brought all the way to the gate, and am currently in my home country. Going back soon though.

I heard most people were saying they would never go back to Thailand again after this experience, but we have in fact only ourselves to blame for staying at the IDC.

• Like 1

visa is not hard to get in Thailand. much easier than UK or USA. . even tourist visa for Long term is easy to get as they give 2 entries pretty much in every embassy.

leave Thailand when visa expired or 1 or 2 days before if you want play safe , for the embassy, bring copy of your bank account, a letter of a Thai sponsor wit his/her copy of ID inviting you or reason why you want stay in Thailand. keep your mouth shut after saying you want have a tourist visa. answer to questions, pay the fee and voila, you new visa is ready the next day.

in case of last visa, they will stamp your passport for last visa. in this case, Play their game, get out of Thailand for a few weeks, go visit friends, go tourism in Spain, California, Ushuaia, whatever... and come back to Thailand with or without a visa and you are good for 2 years.

the key is to plan ahead. what happen if they don't let me in, what I do if I don't get a visa, what happen if I get only one entry... personally I go back to Europe in summer because Thailand is too hot for me. did this for years, and they never refused me a visa.

leaving Thailand is easy, easier than USA. book a flight to Malaysia, Lao, Philippines, and come back same day. you have bus too. you can cross bridges and come back the next day....

how hard is that?

Edited by Digitalnomade

As told, I was brought all the way to the gate, and am currently in my home country. Going back soon though.

I heard most people were saying they would never go back to Thailand again after this experience, but we have in fact only ourselves to blame for staying at the IDC.

Good luck and hope you have a better experience next time.

• Like 2

Wow.

Thanks for your report.

Glad you survived it.

What time of that day and what place did this happen?

Did you have your passport on you?

I think most people walk around without their passport .. have it at home or hotel.

Are they arresting people for not having their passport?

Do you think they would be convinced with a copy of passport and current legal stay stamps?

Jing, i think OP likes to exaggerate a little.

If they just drove around asking all foreigners for passport and arrest those who failed to produce original , cars and detention centers would be packed.

Yes they can ask for your passport and may detain you or follow you or have you to call someone to bring your passport.

I am certain they will not throw you in IDC if you had valid passport and visa.

OP's experience sounds scary, but what did he expect for breaking the law? a nice 5 star hotel with breakfast in bed

Its common knowledge Thai jails are not the nicest place in the world, more reason NOT to break the law in Thailand or have enough money to avoid seeing the cells.

There is no excuse to justify over stay.

There is a good old saying" do not do the crime if you not prepared to do the time "

" Yes they can ask for your passport and may detain you or follow you or have you to call someone to bring your passport."

Do TV members remember what Deputy Commander and Police Colonel Voravat Amornvivat a senior official at Immigration headquarters in Bangkok told Thai visa in July of this year? Was it wrong then or is it wrong now?ermm.gif

Earlier this afternoon, Thaivisa.com spoke to Deputy Commander and Police Colonel Voravat Amornvivat, a senior official at Immigration headquarters in Bangkok.

He told Thaivsia.com that information in an article published by The Nation on 31 July 2014, was incorrect.

Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times.

He said that tourists can of course leave their passports locked in their hotel safe and enjoy their holiday in Thailand without worrying about the need to carry their original passport.

Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

Immigration will have a database of every passport number, full name and date of birth and that system will have also have a record of the date you're permitted to stay until along with your travel history.

This is an interesting development, thanks for reporting it and clarifying.

Did you get blacklisted or just sent on your way and allowed back in ? I suspect you would have no problems coming back to Thailand if you're not here already.

" Immigration will have a database of every passport number, full name and date of birth and that system will have also have a record of the date you're permitted to stay until along with your travel history"

Then how come this place continues to be a haven for so many white-collar criminals, paedophiles and other undesirables that are on the run from their own countries? Surely it wouldn't be rocket science to add a notation to such database that a person is currently wanted or has escaped bail in their home country?

Immigration will have a database of every passport number, full name and date of birth and that system will have also have a record of the date you're permitted to stay until along with your travel history.

Did you get blacklisted or just sent on your way and allowed back in ? I suspect you would have no problems coming back to Thailand if you're not here already.

" Immigration will have a database of every passport number, full name and date of birth and that system will have also have a record of the date you're permitted to stay until along with your travel history"

Then how come this place continues to be a haven for so many white-collar criminals, paedophiles and other undesirables that are on the run from their own countries? Surely it wouldn't be rocket science to add a notation to such database that a person is currently wanted or has escaped bail in their home country?

Maybe the home country has not filed with interpol. There are tonnes of paedophiles that live in and around every major city that go undetected, so unless they have an outstanding warrant with interpol -- that information is not available.

• Like 1

One thing of interest has come out of this for me.

I got a new passport in March and reading about the Thai DL has reminded me to get new licences with updated passport info next time I go to tax my motorbike and pickup.

You don't really need to go and get a new DL unless your old one is expiring. Your immigration database file contains your present passport number, and also the PP numbers of any previous passports you may have used in Thailand. There is also now a concerted effort to add facial photos to each current file; photos are taken both on entry into Thailand, and also at the time of any extension/conversion of an existing visa - info was given to me by a senior Immigration official in Chiang Mai. ...and sure enough, my photo was taken when I got my extension last month, and again when I received my Reentry permit.

Just returned from a 10day business trip to India.

In addition to the usual photos on entering and exiting at the airport immigration desks, I also had my photo taken at each of the three hotels I stayed. All using a cheap GoPro camera. Likely to be for immigration/police reporting and in addition to the usual copying of passport/visa. Not sure when the photo requirement was brought in as I hadn't visited India for about three years. These were 4/5star hotels so may not extend to all hotels, yet.

Would fully expect Thailand to have such a system in the near future. Not expensive and fits in with their clear desire to keep track of all 'aliens'!

OP stated they called his name in but no response so he was arrested.

Logic would suggest if such database existed, they would have received response " over stayer"

There is certainly a data base. Just because they did find his name does not mean there is not one.

Perhaps they did not find it because of a spelling error or a mix up between first and last name.

If he had his passport or his passport number or even his arrival card number they would of found it quickly. And if they had found it they would of seen he was on overstay.

Immigration use the system frequently to recover peoples entry and permit to stay dates when a passport is lost or stolen.

I missed-lost my Passport 2002 or 2003?

(actually my GF took him out of my bag, before I left to the younger mia noi wink.png )

Anyway, I went to a police station, reported the missing Passport, got a temporary one in my Embassy

and went to the Immigration office in Bangkok,

in minutes, they found me in their Computer

and I got the right stamps in my new Passport, which fitted to my previous status regarding my stay in TH.

So Government agencies, could have called there more than 10 years ago already, to get information about any Falang roaming the Thai streets. thumbsup.gif

Sometime, since than, I had for years short discussions at Immigration entry points about that missing Passport which must be a RED light in their Computer. smile.png

Money is always good. Some drinks and snacks are available inside every room, but is expensive. It is possible to get a guard to order food into the room too, but about the rest of the things you mention, is just not right. Another VIP room does not exist (except a corner in the same room, where some snacks and drinks are sold), same with internet access and getting your phone back. In our room of 80 people, there was one phone, belonging to the one "in charge" of the room. Every room has one man (chosen by the guards) to take charge of messages, papers from guards etc, to prevail some order in the rooms. This phone also has internet access, so it can maybe on rare circumstances be borrowed for e-mails etc.

Once you can provide money for a ticket, you fill out a form, and will be called up to meet the lady who orders tickets online for everybody. She is called Miss Apple, and provides tickets for everybody who can pay for it, either in cash or by card.

Their is a VIP room at 3000 Baht a night and you can even get a Burmese/Cambodian chick included and you pay her directly.

I think you was in Room 5 or which room number?

Room 5 is people that have money.

I was framed by my business partner before on the day 3 million shares at Baht 1 should have been transferred to me. The passport from me was with the lawyer that filed the documents with the Ministry of Commerce.

In the evening, I asked the company owners why the lawyer has not returned my passport and the owners said the Commerce Ministry was very busy so I will get my passport back the next day at lunch time.

The whole issue was that I wanted to sell my shares to an outside party at 10 Baht each which would give me 30 million Baht.

Guess what? Bangsue Police arrested me at the same night because I couldn't produce my passport.

I was send to IDC at 11pm at night and the Immigration chief called me in that I pissed off some big influential farangs in this country. The IO chief was very nice to me and said you do not belong at IDC but you need to settle the issue with your business partners. The business partners came in the next day and offered me 0.20B for each share and I told them to <snip> off.

Since my passport was missing and I could not produce it I was send to the court and paid 6000 Baht fine after 2 weeks. I refused to go earlier to court as you have to sign for the charges and I told my embassy to <snip> off.

I was put in my very own VIP Room with a real bed, TV and a portable aircon system.

I paid 3000 Baht per night for the room which pI claimed back from my company in Singapore.

My maid from my house had access to me 12 hours per day and at night I ate Pizaa with Cambodian and Burmese woman's in my VIP room but I never mistreated them but gave them money for a good company. Immigration officers would go to buy wine for me and would drive me to Patpong for some drinks.

I often went to Room 5 at day time as this was my first place they send me too until they found out (IO) that I had a lot of cash. I financed the first 7/11 inside IDC at Room 5 and shared the profits with the head in Room 5 (Pakistani), the immigrations and myself.

Sadly I got sick during my day stays at Room 5 with some nasty virus infection and and fever of 39.5 degree so I was send to the Police General Hospital with 2 bodyguards from the immigration and I finally accepted to return back to my home country after 5 weeks in IDC of which 3 weeks was in a VIP Room and 2 weeks at Room 5.

BTW You could have bought more space at Room 5. I paid 3000 Baht to have 4sqm2 as I was tired of all those Chinese guys that were waiting in front of the toilet so I had to buy more space.

Lao people cleaned my shoes every day so they can have some food every day. The Lao people somehow really made me sad as IDC looked down on them. I kept telling them no need to clean my shoes and they can eat for free but no they wanted to do something and not have a free ride.

All in all IDC was a great experience but a German sadly died in my arms a week before my release and I really pity all those Bangla, BUrmese, Lao and Khmer woman that were locked up with their children.

I have seen two people that died in front of me so looks like things got better now.

What I learned from the IDC issue is that you NEED MONEY and CONTACTS to the top in Thailand's government so IDC looks very well after you as long you are willing to pay for it.

BTW I was never handcuffed on the way to the airport and I even received my passport.

Thanks OP for your story. It brings back memories.

Thanks for this story. Very interesting, and very surprising for me. There were no discussions that this was even possible were I stayed, in room 7.

Then you obviously have a better experiebce of the place, except your sickness and two weeks of stay in room 5. But it costed you a lot, I understand.

They usually split up "black" people and white people, I think the blacks (lack of a better word) are put into room 6. Room 5 was "just another" room for me, but I was obviously wrong.

I share your pity for the families brought in, were the ladies had to stay in these conditions together with their kids.

The handcuffs at the airport were taken off after a while, luckily, when I started to have a conversation with the officer. He was very helpful in the end.

I have learnt my lesson, and I guess you also will never overstay after this. You were there for another reason, but the outcome is probably the same.

Africans do not have money but Room 5 is with people's that are able to raise money such as all the snake heads (People smuggling). We had a case were a Chinese ship on the way to Australia was court in Thailand. 85 Chinese people got released for 5 million Baht.

Blacks only get split up if they do not have money. Room 5 is for people that can pay them self out. Once you are out of Room 5 you will be deported and returned to your country.

If you are in Room 6 you must have signed the documents to go to the court very quick.

I had no hurry to leave Thailand so Room 5 is the way to go as this is the gateway to a VIP Room.

Rooms 6 too is for people that might have money but not enough money to but their freedom but are just on the list to be deported soon.

BTW I had a good times with those ladies and some of those ladies looked great.

On the end of the day I did get a Thai hooker who visited me daily for a fee and she even bring some pot in. Most of the time I was stoned.

MC are you talking about IDC , that was behind the old immigration office near Sathorn Road or is there a new location now? I'm not up to speed on this issuesmile.png

OP stated they called his name in but no response so he was arrested.

Logic would suggest if such database existed, they would have received response " over stayer"

There is certainly a data base. Just because they did find his name does not mean there is not one.

Perhaps they did not find it because of a spelling error or a mix up between first and last name.

If he had his passport or his passport number or even his arrival card number they would of found it quickly. And if they had found it they would of seen he was on overstay.

Immigration use the system frequently to recover peoples entry and permit to stay dates when a passport is lost or stolen.

I missed-lost my Passport 2002 or 2003?

(actually my GF took him out of my bag, before I left to the younger mia noi wink.png )

Anyway, I went to a police station, reported the missing Passport, got a temporary one in my Embassy

and went to the Immigration office in Bangkok,

in minutes, they found me in their Computer

and I got the right stamps in my new Passport, which fitted to my previous status regarding my stay in TH.

So Government agencies, could have called there more than 10 years ago already, to get information about any Falang roaming the Thai streets. thumbsup.gif

Sometime, since than, I had for years short discussions at Immigration entry points about that missing Passport which must be a RED light in their Computer. smile.png

Not always, I had my passport stolen 4 years ago - got a new one and went to immigration office and all the necessary information from the month earlier was not on computer yet.... Eventually they asked when I had the stamps done, and they had to grab the bundles of documentation (by date) and sort through them to find mine and then put the information in the new passport. I gather at that time they had a backlog.

• Like 1

Wow.

Thanks for your report.

Glad you survived it.

I think most people walk around without their passport .. have it at home or hotel.

Do you think they would be convinced with a copy of passport and current legal stay stamps?

If they just drove around asking all foreigners for passport and arrest those who failed to produce original , cars and detention centers would be packed.

Yes they can ask for your passport and may detain you or follow you or have you to call someone to bring your passport.

OP's experience sounds scary, but what did he expect for breaking the law? a nice 5 star hotel with breakfast in bed

Its common knowledge Thai jails are not the nicest place in the world, more reason NOT to break the law in Thailand or have enough money to avoid seeing the cells.

There is a good old saying" do not do the crime if you not prepared to do the time "

Your personal opinions about the OP aren't helpful, or what people read this thread to learn about.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

=thaibreaker= Interesting thread

Only that confuses me. blink.png

"I showed my thai driver`s licence."

"Sorry, my mistake. I showed an international driver`s licence, with name only."

I have a wife and a small kid here, and have stayed legally in Thailand for more than 10 years. But being under 50, and without the proper marriage paper, it has been hard to obtain visas lately. I went on overstay last year, after being denied new visas. I have never worked here.

If you don't have to work, then you obviously have money.

If you have money, all you need is a Thailand Elite Easy Access visa, for 500,000ThB.

BUT, if you do not have a work,

obviously, not easy to find work, with a work permit in TH and not enough 500.000.- emo12.gif WAUW! money? blink.png

One question I think many people will want to know, after reading this thread: If you aren't comfortable carrying your actual passport...

What specifically constitutes a 'COPY' of your passport, which is acceptable to them?

Does it have to be on paper, color? Can it be photographs on your telephone? What all should be copied or photo'd?

No speculation or flaming please...if anyone knows the official word on this, it would be helpful.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

=thaibreaker= Interesting thread

Only that confuses me. blink.png

"I showed my thai driver`s licence."

"Sorry, my mistake. I showed an international driver`s licence, with name only."

Sorry. I don`t have the actual thai DL, but have an international one. That has gotten me through any stops from the police before, and I have been driving for years.

My honest mistake :)

One question I think many people will want to know, after reading this thread: If you aren't comfortable carrying your actual passport...

What specifically constitutes a 'COPY' of your passport, which is acceptable to them?

Does it have to be on paper, color? Can it be photographs on your telephone? What all should be copied or photo'd?

No speculation or flaming please...if anyone knows the official word on this, it would be helpful.

In my case, they were only asking if I had any confirmation of me not overstaying. They asked for a copy of any kind.

So I guess a paper copy will do, but also a clear copy of any kind. In a phone etc.

What other officers are thinking is just speculation, but those stopping me would settle with anything. Just a confirmation.

• Like 1

In my case, they were only asking if I had any confirmation of me not overstaying. They asked for a copy of any kind.

So I guess a paper copy will do, but also a clear copy of any kind. In a phone etc.

What other officers are thinking is just speculation, but those stopping me would settle with anything. Just a confirmation.

Thanks very much for your post, and all the information Thai Breaker. This is more than valuable, even not on an overstay, just to avoid any possibly hassles if this is happening now. Best of luck to you, also.

• Like 1

book a flight to Malaysia, Lao, Philippines, and come back same day. you have bus too. you can cross bridges and come back the next day....

how hard is that?

It was not hard, BUT it is getting harder now, at least the signs are up for that.

That border runs and same day flights, mixed with Tourist visa, I did that before 11 - 2009, when you did not get a Non IMMI O under 50, only for having children with a Thai woman, which I had.

I was not so well informed these days, because, as far as I know now, also before that time I could have applied for extensions inside Thailand - reason living with my Thai children and providing for them.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I got a new passport in March and reading about the Thai DL has reminded me to get new licences with updated passport info next time I go to tax my motorbike and pickup.

Bank accounts too, visit your Thai bank.

10 out of 10 to thaibreaker for the interesting & informative post. Thank you.

0 out of 10 to Konying for all your negativity.

Even if the OP was a dream, it's still a valuable message & a wake up call to understand how things work in LOS.

Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 2

The point being people in case you don't get it make copy of information page with picture in color of course and copy of entry stamp page carry in wallet at all times. I never carry original passport with me lock in safe at room or in safe at condo. Only bring passport if going to different city because it is needed for check in. at hotels. Even in the US if a police officer Ask's for ID you better have or Jail without bail. Till they get proof who you are. But if your dumb enough to overstay then tough luck you got what you were looking for.

I agree.That's why getting a new passport to get around visa problems is useless.

You are not required to carry your passport but you should have a copy of it with your visa. A DL is usually ok too. Just take a photo of your passport and visa and keep it in your phone.

The law has always been and still is overstay and pay 20k at the airport or get caught and go to IDC. If you have money Immigration will let you sleep in one of their offices and even take you to restaurants and 7-11 and let you order KFC and pizzas etc. and give you your phone back.

I've got plenty of clowns out of IDC over the years and it's always ended up costing me.

You are saying they will accept an overseas Driver's Licence if you don't carry your passport? They also accept a photo of the passport on your phone?

If you have a copy of your details page of the passport & the visa, do you need to carry a copy of all your 90 day extension stamps from immigration too?

A Thai Driving License would be sufficient proof of ID since a foreign one would not be written in Thai I would not recommend it.

Just copy your passport and your last extension of stay stamp into your phone and this will be sufficient until you can produce your original passport if required. They can use this info to check in their computer who you are and if you have a valid visa/extension of stay.

Last job before you leave immigration is go to copy machine and copy face page one side,new details other side.Fold it up,and into the wallet.How hard can it be.Arse covered for another 90 days.

Wow.

Thanks for your report.

Glad you survived it.

I beg to differ on your sweeping statement that "there is no excuse for overstay"

I have a friend who went to an agency to obtain a visa and after a while received

his passport all visa completed.

during the next few weeks the visa agency was raided by police and there were

lots of stories going round about forged documents ect so as my friend was due

to go to the airport he decided to get his visa checked by the immigration there

and after having it checked by the man at immigration and then his superior he

was assured his visa was legit and told "enjoy your stay"

two months later he was phoned by Bangkok immigration that there was a problem

with his visa and because the three thai people who he trusted had let him down

he was now liable for 20,000 bht overstay fine.

there were about 7/8 others who had been given dodgy visa's but what happened

to them is unknown,

Everything to do with pp i do myself.Don't trust just anybody except embassies.

I agree.That's why getting a new passport to get around visa problems is useless.

I know what you mean. But, a friend of mine did get around some difficulties recently by getting a new passport. If you'd really messed up, of course they can still see it on the system. But a fresh passport does seem to make a real difference at other points, like applying for a new visa, etc.

• Like 1

You don't really need to go and get a new DL unless your old one is expiring. Your immigration database file contains your present passport number, and also the PP numbers of any previous passports you may have used in Thailand. There is also now a concerted effort to add facial photos to each current file; photos are taken both on entry into Thailand, and also at the time of any extension/conversion of an existing visa - info was given to me by a senior Immigration official in Chiang Mai. ...and sure enough, my photo was taken when I got my extension last month, and again when I received my Reentry permit.

Thanks for the update.

I will take all my stuff up with me at the end of the months as I have to tax my motorbike anyway. If they do that's fine, if they say mai pen rai, thats fine too.

Bank accounts too, visit your Thai bank.

Two of my ATM cards were out of date so I got them replaced this morning and I brought my wife with me as not many of the girls in the bank speak good English so my passport is updated there too.

• Like 1