Renewal of insurance, por ror bor, road tax

rambling

Hi guys, my bike will be 1 year old in 2 weeks time which means the insurance, por ror bor and road tax are all due for renewal. Previously as the bike was new it was all done at Honda Big Wing (Bangkok). Does anyone know if I can go and do everything there, one stop shop style or do I need to renew all these by myself individually?

Thanks.

Hey ll2, thanks for that. Here's a report after just returning from there. Big Wing can indeed do that, however..

They offer 2 options:

1. Viriyah which costs 13K Baht with 10K excess.

2. LMG which costs 10K and with 5K excess but, their agent needs to come and check the bike and take pics.

I didn't see any advantage to doing Viriyah other than you get it on the spot.

I called LMG while still at Big Wing, I pressed 9 for English but the sales girl was still unable to utter a single word when she picked up. Literally. I said hello and she just punched a number and got an English speaking external agent on the line, decent English except he insisted I was riding a Wave every time I said CB500F, including when I clearly pronounced it "C B ha roi F..". The Big Wing guys were having a good laugh listening in on the whole conversation :-)

Anyways, can't do anything until Monday. They took my details and mobile number and I'll be waiting a call back.

As for the Por Ror Bor, you can pay and renew at Big Wing but they suggested I don't since you must still go to the Land Transport Department for the sticker for 2558 and they recommended I get it all done there.

• Like 2

Thanks for the report, I need to do it soon too. I got the LMG on January 10, 2014. it was 9,000 baht for CB500F.

What does it mean "deductible" or "excess" ?

I should get a reduced rate for next year right?

ll2. there was no Tokio Marine option. Maybe they only do 1st year but no 2nd year insurance.

brfsa2, the excess/deductible is the amount you are liable for in case of a claim before the insurer starts paying up. If you have an excess of 5,000 Baht and you claim 3,500 the insurer pays nothing and you pay the entire 3,500. If the claim is for 9,000 Baht, you pay the first 5,000 and the insurer tops up 4,000 Baht.

Yes you should get a slightly better rate than I was quoted, my quotes were for a new plan since I'm the second owner of this bike and the first year insurance was on a different name.

• Like 2

ll2. there was no Tokio Marine option. Maybe they only do 1st year but no 2nd year insurance.

brfsa2, the excess/deductible is the amount you are liable for in case of a claim before the insurer starts paying up. If you have an excess of 5,000 Baht and you claim 3,500 the insurer pays nothing and you pay the entire 3,500. If the claim is for 9,000 Baht, you pay the first 5,000 and the insurer tops up 4,000 Baht.

Yes you should get a slightly better rate than I was quoted, my quotes were for a new plan since I'm the second owner of this bike and the first year insurance was on a different name.

Is that "excess" considered the same as a "deductible" or "co-pay"?

In the States, a "deductible" was the amount of payment that has to be reached in a year before the Insurance kicks in and the "co-pay" is the amount the insured has to pay each time the the insurance is used. Thus the question I had; is that 5,000 baht example a one time deal where if you need to use the insurance again you don't run into it or is it each and every time you have to use the insurance?

Dave, I don't know for sure, but if it's like my car insurance here then it follows the co-pay model you described, i.e. you're liable for this amount each time you make a claim rather than once per policy year.

I will ask about this on Monday when LMG (hopefully) calls back.

Dave, I don't know for sure, but if it's like my car insurance here then it follows the co-pay model you described, i.e. you're liable for this amount each time you make a claim rather than once per policy year.

I will ask about this on Monday when LMG (hopefully) calls back.

Thanks...I've never had to use insurance here so was fact gathering.

Thanks Rambling,

One more question, anyone knows if an aftermarket Slip-on exhaust will affect the LMG insurance? since they have to come take photos.

in fact I don't mind putting back stock, because this Leo-vince is getting too loud for me.

So an update on the insurance renewal. Turned into a bit of a mini saga. LMG did not call, I had to chase them and eventually the quote was fairly high at 16K with a large excess of 20K. Viriyah would only quote 3rd class for some reason with crappy sum insureds across the board. At a member's suggestion I contacted AA Insure who are sponsoring the forum and received pretty good response from Peter.

At some point a broker also sent me a quote from Asia Insurance, I've not heard of them before. Very low sums on Own Damage but decent on 3rd party, bond etc. for a very low premium of 2K. I still prefer a proper first class so I decided to go with the AA Insure plan.

The Por Ror Bor I did on my own at the Land Transport Department opposite Chatuchak (Bangkok), very fast and very easy to do. You go to Building number 2, the first building on the left as you enter the compound. On the ground floor there are a couple of insurance counters, you pay the ~650 Baht, take the policy and go to the Information counter to submit it, you get a queue number and when you get called you pay 100 Baht and get the sticker. I reached there at 10am and was done by 10:15.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I just renewed my insurance for the 2nd year with LMG, I just went to BigWing with the bike registration copy and paid 9022 Baht with a credit card. All done in 10 minutes. (price was the same as 1st year)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry for pushing this topic but I really have no idea what to do.

My task disc sticker expired on 14 February. I have a few questions.

a) is this the date when the insurance is due?

b} is compulsory insurance the same thing as por ror bor?

c) how do I know when the road tax is due?

d) can I pay for por ror bor and road tax at the same place/time? If so, where in Pattaya?

I have read all the threads on this that I could find but it's still all a big mystery to me. Please help!

Edited by wump

Sorry for pushing this topic but I really have no idea what to do.

My task disc sticker expired on 14 February. I have a few questions.

a) is this the date when the insurance is due?

b} is compulsory insurance the same thing as por ror bor?

c) how do I know when the road tax is due?

d) can I pay for por ror bor and road tax at the same place/time? If so, where in Pattaya?

I have read all the threads on this that I could find but it's still all a big mystery to me. Please help!

a) the insurance coverage period and the road tax validity period are separate things. Meaning, it could be that insurance is valid whilst road tax has expired or vice versa

B) yes, I believe the compulsory insurance and the por ror bor is one and the same. Without the por ror bor, you will not be able to renew the road tax

c) look at the road tax disc. If you are like me, it will be all gibberish to you, except maybe for the numerals 2558. Get a Thai reader to decipher the actual expiry date

d) yes, you can go to the DLT in Banglamung, ground floor. There you can purchase both the por ror bor and renew your road tax at the same time

My strong suggestion is to bring along a Thai speaker.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your reply. Good to know that I can do both at the same time. Do I really have to go to the DLT in Banglamung? Riding a bike on the motorway to the place is technically illegal and it would take forever on the small roads. I read there is also an official place somewhere near city hall on North Pattaya Rd? What about Mittayon - I read they do insurance renewals for bigger bikes... would they also help me with my Click?

I did the compulsary road tax thing at a small licensed shop near where I live. They have them in many areas, no need to go to the DLT. For the insurance I did it at BigWing who handled all the paperwork. I just had to let some guy from the insurance take a look at the bike and sign.

For my CBR500R it was 10k first year, 8k second. 5k excess. Dont remember the name of the insurance.

I did the compulsary road tax thing at a small licensed shop near where I live. They have them in many areas, no need to go to the DLT. For the insurance I did it at BigWing who handled all the paperwork. I just had to let some guy from the insurance take a look at the bike and sign.

For my CBR500R it was 10k first year, 8k second. 5k excess. Dont remember the name of the insurance.

Didn't realise that there are such places. How do you identify them?

No need to got tho the DLT,instead you can go to Big C south Pattaya branch only on Saturdays to get a Tax disc, insurance can be obtained from AA insurance which is in the row of shophouses opposite Big C ( you see them when going up the escalators to the second floor which is where the DLT staff are set up )

If your bike is more than 3 years old then you'll need to have it "inspected" and issued a road worthy certificate before you can get tax and insurance.

No need to got tho the DLT,instead you can go to Big C south Pattaya branch only on Saturdays to get a Tax disc, insurance can be obtained from AA insurance which is in the row of shophouses opposite Big C ( you see them when going up the escalators to the second floor which is where the DLT staff are set up )

If your bike is more than 3 years old then you'll need to have it "inspected" and issued a road worthy certificate before you can get tax and insurance.

This sounds like the most convenient option. I'll try this on Saturday and will report back. Thanks for the replies.

Edited by wump