perfect helmet for hot Thailand? Nexx x30

ttakata

I ride with a slightly older version of the Shoei Neotech modular helmet and with the venting and insulation I rarely get too hot under the scalp. I use the Shoei brand because it is the only brand that fits my head. The insulation insulates against heat as well as cold and I lift up the chin attachment when stopped at lights to help cool down a bit. I also keep the visor up at slow speeds when riding in town to increase ventilation.

I recently spent some time talking to the helmet expert at Revzillas physical location in the US. Basically he told me that in general most modern helmets vent roughly the same and anything purporting to do vastly more (which many brands do, every time they come out with something new) is just marketing. In the end, a helmet will vent least when you are the hottest, and vent the best when you dont really need it. That's just the inescapable physics of the situation. You need to be moving for it vent. If you're stopping often, or going very slowly, you're just going to sweat a lot. Period. Nothing is going to stop that, unfortunately.

I thanked the guy for his time & honesty and put down the uber expensive helmet I was just about to buy and picked up the HJC he recommended.

It is not that easy. And it cannot explain the price difference between helmets.

expensive helmets basically protect you better bc they use better materials and let you feel comfier.

And to a certain extent you pay for the name!

no, you pay for a company that paying a lot of for R&D with top notch facilities and going through Moto GP and creating latest tech on both safety and comfort with the best materials that you can use for an helmet.

Or they offer better vision, visor or ventilation.

Moreover, what about the durability? I see cheap HJC's or AGV's dissolving within a couple of years.

Were they real deal or knock off?

Reason I ask is because I have a real deal HJC that was in service for 3+ years and has been sitting collecting dust for the last 5 years that could still be worn....if I trusted the foam inside it!

A visual inspection would have it as 'ok', but I demand that the foam inside works to the level it was designed to. As there is no guarantee that the head sweat, heat, etc. over the years hasn't negatively impacted it, I retired it from service. Perhaps my 3 years of service life is too short, but I'd rather drop the coin on a new helmet that often to ensure that if I ever need the protection it's there and working at the level that the manufacturer intended it to.

I recently spent some time talking to the helmet expert at Revzillas physical location in the US. Basically he told me that in general most modern helmets vent roughly the same and anything purporting to do vastly more (which many brands do, every time they come out with something new) is just marketing. In the end, a helmet will vent least when you are the hottest, and vent the best when you dont really need it. That's just the inescapable physics of the situation. You need to be moving for it vent. If you're stopping often, or going very slowly, you're just going to sweat a lot. Period. Nothing is going to stop that, unfortunately.

I thanked the guy for his time & honesty and put down the uber expensive helmet I was just about to buy and picked up the HJC he recommended.

It is not that easy. And it cannot explain the price difference between helmets.

expensive helmets basically protect you better bc they use better materials and let you feel comfier.

no, you pay for a company that paying a lot of for R&D with top notch facilities and going through Moto GP and creating latest tech on both safety and comfort with the best materials that you can use for an helmet.

Moreover, what about the durability? I see cheap HJC's or AGV's dissolving within a couple of years.

Reason I ask is because I have a real deal HJC that was in service for 3+ years and has been sitting collecting dust for the last 5 years that could still be worn....if I trusted the foam inside it!

A visual inspection would have it as 'ok', but I demand that the foam inside works to the level it was designed to. As there is no guarantee that the head sweat, heat, etc. over the years hasn't negatively impacted it, I retired it from service. Perhaps my 3 years of service life is too short, but I'd rather drop the coin on a new helmet that often to ensure that if I ever need the protection it's there and working at the level that the manufacturer intended it to.

No not fake.

My gfs 4000 thb hjc is not in a good condition within 2 years bit she wears it 4 times a month maybe.

• Like 1

No not fake.

My gfs 4000 thb hjc is not in a good condition within 2 years bit she wears it 4 times a month maybe.

Where did you buy it? Where does she store it?

Edited by casualbiker

Paddock. And store it at home under ac.

Bilmola helmet is worst. Got it free from bigwing and maybe wore it 5 times. Its 'd' ring got oxidation and it is beyond recognition morphed into an 'o' ! and left visor nut is broken and to replace it, you need to brake the helmet apart! So it is useless now.

Edited by ll2

Paddock HJC tend to be old stock. The ones I've had from the US are ok.

My HJC from the UK is almost 3 years now as well. Still fine, foam has not deteriorated at all and still feels tight. Bit heavy, but for 5000 baht it's been a solid helmet at a good price.

Always wondered why Paddock had them so cheap... Not sure if they're old stock/leftovers but it's worth checking before buying for sure.

HJC's RPHA 10 line are excellent Helmets

If I had seen some of the sales for these at places like Chang Moto here in CM I would

have grabbed one before importing the Scorpion

I believe Kamix Shop in BKK is the main HJC distributor here in Thailand

Of course like many Helmet lines there are levels of quality but the RPHA is the top.

Jorge Lorenzo is a their main sponsored MotoGP rider so many of his schemes/styles

lorenzo-hjc-2013-1.jpg

Edited by mania