Firefox is to replace Google with Yahoo as its default search engine

thai tech

Firefox is to replace Google with Yahoo as its default search engine

firefox-702x336.png

It has been announced that from December 2014, Firefox is to replace Google with Yahoo as its default search engine, according to a post on the Mozilla blog.

The move signals an end to a decade long partnership between internet giants Google and the Mozilla Foundation, who is responsible for the Firefox web browser.

Question marks had been raised about the sustainability of such partnership ever since Google launched Chrome back in 2008. Since then, Google Chrome has gone onto become the worlds most used browser, taking a large portion of users from Firefox.

That said, Firefox users still account for more than 100 billion search requests each year and is currently the third most popular web browser behind Google Chrome and Internet Explorer, respectively.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/firefox-replace-google-yahoo-default-search-engine/

thaitech_logo.jpg
-- Tech News by Thaivisa 2014-12-03

FF 34 has still got Google as the default (outside the US I think?).

*Does anyone like the new search engines search box on toolbar? I think it is a right pain to use. I often like to switch default search engines depending what I am doing from say Google to YouTube or Torrent search. Now the process to change default search engine has changed from one click to FIVE!facepalm.gif

So firefox now will rely for the most of their revenue on a company that has been in decline since the birth of Google, and can't even manage to get their own sites running properly?

Looks promising.

Edited by Anthony5

FF 34 did change a bit on the search bar, but setting google as the default is easy. Going to a different search engine is easy, once you start to type in the search box, the default and optional engines appear, as well as your search history.

Adding or deleting engines is easy.

FF 34 did change a bit on the search bar, but setting google as the default is easy. Going to a different search engine is easy, once you start to type in the search box, the default and optional engines appear, as well as your search history.

Yeah, but you can't change the order of the search engines at all! Firefox 34 changed the order of my search engines! If you have search engines with the same icon you have to hover over the icon for a tool tip text to see what the search engine is.

Here's how to disable the new search bar:

1. Go into the config by typing the following in the address bar and then hitting return (click "I'll be careful, I promise!" if a dialogue comes up mentioning anything about dragons, if not just continue):

about:config

2. Paste the following in the wide "Search"-field that appears:

browser.search.showOneOffButtons

3. The value should be "true" by default, double-click on it so it says "false"

4. Restart Firefox, the search bar should now have gone back to normal.

Note that toggling browser.search.showOneOffButtons to false, breaks manage search engines via the search engine button on the about:home and about:newtab pages as they try to access the no longer present Search tab in Options/Preferences. Only the search bar on the Navigation Toolbar still works properly. bah.gif

Yahoo Finance and Yahoo's main site causes FF to go into the twilight zone if I don't disable Flash. Maybe this will bring the matter to someone's attention.

Yahoo has been in some sort of relationship with Microsoft ever since Yahoo rejected the buyout a few years ago. I wonder if FF will eventually become part of IE.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, but you can't change the order of the search engines at all! Firefox 34 changed the order of my search engines! If you have search engines with the same icon you have to hover over the icon for a tool tip text to see what the search engine is.

Here's how to disable the new search bar:

1. Go into the config by typing the following in the address bar and then hitting return (click "I'll be careful, I promise!" if a dialogue comes up mentioning anything about dragons, if not just continue):

about:config

2. Paste the following in the wide "Search"-field that appears:

browser.search.showOneOffButtons

3. The value should be "true" by default, double-click on it so it says "false"

4. Restart Firefox, the search bar should now have gone back to normal.

Note that toggling browser.search.showOneOffButtons to false, breaks manage search engines via the search engine button on the about:home and about:newtab pages as they try to access the no longer present Search tab in Options/Preferences. Only the search bar on the Navigation Toolbar still works properly. bah.gif

This seems to have stopped working since latest update from Firefox 42 to Firefox Ver 43.0? Selecting True or False makes no difference? ** Anyone got a fix please to go back to old way?

Edited by Digitalbanana