Director defends 'Hitler scene' in Thai govt film

webfact

Another day, and another scratch your head moment. What planet have these people been living on? You can almost excuse a poorly educated young Thai kid getting it wrong, but a film director, an agency and whatever layers of governmental approval this had to go through removes any semblance of an excuse surely.

"As for Hitler's portrait, I have seen so many people using it on T-Shirts everywhere. It's even considered a fashion. It doesn't mean I agree with it, but I didn't expect it to be an issue at all." <= at a loss for words.

Hitler & Che Guevara. They have no idea. The director is obviously an idiot who is trying to cover up that he thought he was being clever & trendy.

• Like 1

Even Kasikorn Bank has not clue what this... Insane... Fyi Kasikorn can issue your ATM card with your choice of picture. Simply disgraceful.

Yes indeed Thai are very sensitive when it comes to their own Culture and History (even though most of them do not have any clue of their own history before the Siam Empire). But when it comes to other cultures and major historical events, they do not care, do not respect and do not give a s...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The swastika was a Hindu good luck charm before it was Nazi. But I am betting the Kasikorn bank never knew that either. " Oh that is a good picture. I saw that somewhere! Lets put it on. The art Director for Kasikorn probably played hookey from the same history lessons as and with the movie director. But they both still got a degree!!!!

Another day, and another scratch your head moment. What planet have these people been living on? You can almost excuse a poorly educated young Thai kid getting it wrong, but a film director, an agency and whatever layers of governmental approval this had to go through removes any semblance of an excuse surely.

"As for Hitler's portrait, I have seen so many people using it on T-Shirts everywhere. It's even considered a fashion. It doesn't mean I agree with it, but I didn't expect it to be an issue at all." <= at a loss for words.

Hitler & Che Guevara. They have no idea. The director is obviously an idiot who is trying to cover up that he thought he was being clever & trendy.

The director is taking a dig at people that have no idea and use Hitler/Nazi imagery to look trendy. Did you bother to watch the film?

"Gen. Prayuth's Twelve Values, which he bestowed to the public in July, have already been rendered into a poem that students at public schools are required to memorize." wai2.gifwai.gif

#1: One, love the Nation,..."

"I don't want to convey anything," said Kulp, ... I didn’t want my film to affect anyone." blink.png

What's the point of making the film then?

facepalm.gif

The complete quote which you cut and changed the meaning was, "I didn’t want to have anything to do with politics. I didn’t want my film to affect anyone." He was taking about affecting anyone's politics.

Right.

That's why he included Hitler...

cheesy.gif

No you cut and pasted, "I don't want to convey anything," said Kulp, ... I didn’t want my film to affect anyone."

The actual quote was, ""I didn’t want to have anything to do with politics. I didn’t want my film to affect anyone." He was taking about affecting anyone's politics.

You are trying to change the meaning of what he said. . Not right and hot honest.

Not true at all.

The article is there for everyone to read.

I condensed the line from the story. In sequence.

The guy is disingenuous in saying; "I don't want to convey anything, I didn’t want my film to affect anyone."

I'll repeat; What's the point of making a film then?

Especially a film "which was commissioned by Thailand's ruling military junta."?

"The short, called "30," is a part of "Thai Niyom (Thai Pride)," a 12-part film that portrays Prime Minister and junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha's teachings, known as the "Twelve Values."

And I guess you're comfortable in saying the use of Hitler was not political.

facepalm.gif

Edited by iReason

The director is taking a dig at people that have no idea and use Hitler/Nazi imagery to look trendy. Did you bother to watch the film?

no. but that is not the point. 60 years later, Hitler is still too hot to handle in a context like that. How many Thais would understand that subtle point, even if you are correct.? How many Thais actually know who Hitler was, or what he did? Or Che Guevara, for that matter? The answer is dead simple!!! "not enough to make it worthwhile taking the risk." Hitler is still too hot to handle!

Edited by The Deerhunter

people sacrificed so much so we can all travel anywhere we want say what we want.

"say what we want" huh?

So what do you people want?

All images of Hitler to be banned forever , so that one day no one has a clue who this guy was and are left wondering why "people sacrificed so much" or if that is all just a story.

Its already been pointed out that Hitler is not glorified in any way , in fact his image is used as a counterpoint to anything good.

But thats not enough for many of you ... I think that maybe you want the opportunity to harp on about what "YOU" and your lot did in the war and how "You" got rid of the Nazis when actually , unless you are over 80 , you had nothing to do with it.

Anyone I knew who actually did , treated any image of Hitler with great mocking and jocularity , they certainly didnt immediately demand the image covered or removed - hell , some of them even combed their hair and sketched a mustache onto themselves for a bit of further fun.

But keep up the pretentious 'outrage' by all means ... you fought for it ( cough ) - its most entertaining 555.

There are more than enough images of this truly horrific person in valid documentaries of WWII. People can see and learn about him all they want this way. By using his image for almost any other reason you take the chance unknowing children will idolize him, especially in a country where children never learned that this man killed millions of innocent jewish and non-jewish people and brought war to almost the entire world.

• Like 1

no. but that is not the point. 60 years later, Hitler is still too hot to handle in a context like that. How many Thais would understand that subtle point, even if you are correct.? How many Thais actually know who Hitler was, or what he did? Or Che Guevara, for that matter? The answer is dead simple!!! "not enough to make it worthwhile taking the risk." Hitler is still too hot to handle!

So why don't you go and see the film first and then comment on it?

Most Thais will be able to listen what the narration says and get the point, unless they use your technique of not watching and listening and simply conjuring up whatever they think it may be the context and message of the film.

I hope many here know that variations of the swastika are ancient Buddhist emblems. They can be found on many Buddhist artifacts, usually "squared up" with the top line horizontal, and often flipped as in reverse from Hitler's. Some historians say Hitler chose the swastika for its ancient symbolic power.

Nazi officials raided Tibet to try to learn ancient wisdom and knowledge about personal power attributed to adept Buddhist monks.

I hope many here know that variations of the swastika are ancient Buddhist emblems. They can be found on many Buddhist artifacts, usually "squared up" with the top line horizontal, and often flipped as in reverse from Hitler's. Some historians say Hitler chose the swastika for its ancient symbolic power.

Nazi officials raided Tibet to try to learn ancient wisdom and knowledge about personal power attributed to adept Buddhist monks.

This thread about it was 59 pages long. Imagine that. 59 pages of Swastika stuff. Thai Visa is the capital the end all and be all of Swastika information. Anything you want to know, anything at all is here. It is a cornucopia of little known Swastika lore and interesting information.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/501209-thai-student-nazi-dress-up-day-causes-outrage/page-59

Just a few of the many expert threads available here on Thai Visa,

Thai Student Nazi Dress-Up Day Causes Outrage -

Thai Buddhist swastika. Why the confusion? - Buddhism - Thailand ...

Thais And Swastikas? - Page 3 - General topics - Thailand Forum ...

Jealous German Skinhead Knife Killer Caught In Khon Kaen - Page 4 ...

Hitler Fashion Statements Confuse, Offend Tourists In Thailand ...

Bangkok's 'Hitler Chic' Trend Riles Tourists, Israeli Envoy ...

Adolf Hitler - ThaiVisa.com

"The Swastika" is the oldest cross and emblem in the world. ....

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Khulp must not have listened in his Mahidol classes. Oooops.

Not so the director said "[Hitler] is the character of this child," Mr Kulp explained, referring to the film's spoiled, wealthy schoolboy who always gets his way. "He's always been 'number one,' and he's selfish.

"Hitler is also a 'number one,' in a bad way. He was good at persuading a lot of people, but he refused to listen to the majority. He was always arrogant. That's why the war happened.

zaza9 i agree with you abou Londoners are thr most tollerent i showed my mum the photo and she did laugh.

i just wish everyone would show respect. wether Thai or farrang

Thank you for being honest.

My Dad and large family had houses in a row near to the gas tanks next to The Oval.

Grandads job was to shut down the gas supply during bombing raids and all the family told hair raising stories of near misses and losses , including 4 of 5 homes. The irony was that they related all this privation with a laugh!

Their reasoning was that Hitler could never dampen their spirits , and an image of him was a something to poke fun at ... or laugh at just like your Mum.

Getting upset and intimidated about his image was what Hitler wanted , staring his image in the eye and smirking was the Englishmans reply!

Whats changed?

Why are we so precious about a picture?

My Grand parents would say we are missing the point!

The best way to 'respect' those who I personally knew who had suffered is to do it as they would , look at a picture and see it as a picture .

Laugh at the ogre and know he was defeated by ordinary people.

The complete quote which you cut and changed the meaning was, "I didn’t want to have anything to do with politics. I didn’t want my film to affect anyone." He was taking about affecting anyone's politics.

Right.

That's why he included Hitler...

cheesy.gif

No you cut and pasted, "I don't want to convey anything," said Kulp, ... I didn’t want my film to affect anyone."

The actual quote was, ""I didn’t want to have anything to do with politics. I didn’t want my film to affect anyone." He was taking about affecting anyone's politics.

You are trying to change the meaning of what he said. . Not right and hot honest.

Not true at all.

The article is there for everyone to read.

I condensed the line from the story. In sequence.

The guy is disingenuous in saying; "I don't want to convey anything, I didn’t want my film to affect anyone."

I'll repeat; What's the point of making a film then?

Especially a film "which was commissioned by Thailand's ruling military junta."?

"The short, called "30," is a part of "Thai Niyom (Thai Pride)," a 12-part film that portrays Prime Minister and junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha's teachings, known as the "Twelve Values."

And I guess you're comfortable in saying the use of Hitler was not political.

facepalm.gif

Do you think telling a lie over and over makes it less disengenours?

You wrote, ""I don't want to convey anything, I didn’t want my film to affect anyone."

The actual quote was,"I didn’t want to have anything to do with politics. I didn’t want my film to affect anyone." He was taking about affecting anyone's politics.

The video is 600 or so seconds long. A picture of Hitler is in it for 3 seconds.

Anyone seen the kid's house palace in the video? Typical of most Thai kids of course. Well, the 'good' little elite ones perhaps.

That is the point of the video. The director said, ""[Hitler] is the character of this child," Mr Kulp explained, referring to the film's spoiled, wealthy schoolboy who always gets his way. "He's always been 'number one,' and he's selfish.

Yet everyone is talking about Hitler.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

3 seconds out of 660 seconds and everyone is talking about Hitler. TVOCHD. It's the new by word.

Kind of like Sharon Stone crossing her legs why almost everyone went to see Basic Instinct.

Edited by thailiketoo

zaza9 i agree with you abou Londoners are thr most tollerent i showed my mum the photo and she did laugh.

i just wish everyone would show respect. wether Thai or farrang

I'm a londoner born and bred and am as tolerant as they come, normally i wouldn't rise to this.... but live in a country that has absolute zero tolerance to foreigners saying anything to do with thai. I'm just sick of the double standards and of reading the shit they do & say to foreigners every day. And by the way zaza9 if someone disrespected my country in my local...they wouldn't walk out.

Yes , BUT this isnt YOUR local .

Its THEIR local !

Following your logic - hundreds of posters on here , using a picture of a PICTURE of Hitler to Thai-bash and call ALL Thais names - then the Thais are quite within their rights to see that no critic gets to walk away either , arent they?

And can you please show me where it is that the Thais are criticisizing other countries or disrespecting your country in particular. Ive only read the complete opposite....

Can someone explain to these people,that it means 7 millions Jews massacred in the worst atrocious manner ?

Last Christmas I watched a group of thai kids watching a nativity play performed by a group of Christians from Singapore.

The kids do not even know who Jesus is, so there is no chance then knowing who Hitler was or what he did.

But why would they? WW2/Hitler did not affect Thailand, I mean, were we in Europe ever taught about anything what happened in SE Asia in school?

Who needed to go to school to understand what happened in south east asia in WW2?

There have been 100s of movies, books and documentaries made about it. Let's put it like this, I think there is an element of Thailand that isn't going round actively denouncing what the Japanese and Germans got up to in the war.

A classic own-goal.

How long before this gets spun in the US as 'Thai Junta tells young to model themselves on the Nazis' ?

Thai junta propaganda film stuns with Hitler scene
Bangkok, Thailandi | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- An officially sanctioned propaganda film commissioned by Thailand's junta has caused outrage and bafflement after viewers noticed it used imagery of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler.

The short film -- one of a series commissioned by Thai generals to promote "Twelve Values" it wants the kingdom's youth to adopt -- told the seemingly innocuous story of two schoolboys who learn to accept that winning and losing is part of life.

But viewers were left shocked by the animated opening sequence which clearly showed one of the boys in a classroom completing a portrait of the Nazi chief standing in front of a large swastika.

"This is a massive failure of understanding of history by a Thai government administration that has explicitly mentioned wanting to teach history," Responsible History Education Action, a website set up to combat the use of Nazi imagery in Thailand, said in a posting.

"We are concerned and deeply saddened that the image of Hitler and a Nazi swastika was featured in a government video meant to extol values to the Thai people," the website -- set up by an American expat based in Thailand -- added.

Images of Hitler, swastikas and other Nazi regalia are fairly commonplace in Thailand -- adorning T-shirts and memorabilia -- a phenomenon blamed on a lack of historical understanding rather than political leanings.

Last year Bangkok's prestigious Chulalongkorn University was forced to apologise after its students created a mural depicting Hitler during graduation celebrations. A Catholic school was also left red-faced in 2011 after students dressed up in Nazi uniform for a sports day parade.

The latest deployment of Nazi imagery was greeted with bafflement on social media.

"I'm speechless," wrote one Thailand-based Twitter user under the name @chomsowhat.

Another local user, @snetibutr, added: "How damning that is of TL (Thailand's) education/history teaching."

The director of the film, Kulp Kaljaruek, told AFP he did not mean to cause offence but instead was trying to illustrate the child's moral progress.

"It's symbolic. The child is going in the wrong direction. But I didn't mean it (to show Hitler) it in a bad way," said Kulp, whose father is head of Kantana Group, one of Thailand's largest film studios.

"You know Hitler had quite strong power in the past. But not in a good way. So it's like he (the boy) is learning from that until he becomes a good person at the end," he said.

Kulp confirmed the junta had approved the film but said "nobody asked" about the contentious scene featuring the painting.

Every pupil aged eight to 18 has been ordered to learn the "Twelve Values" crafted by Thailand's junta, which seized power in a May putsch, highlighting obedience towards the royalist establishment.

But some student groups have hit back, calling the values a form of brainwashing.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-12-10

First of Thai people must understand that Hitler was a animal had millions killed, Believed the the white race was superior of all races. If he had won the war the world would have been very different and not in a good way.

Good job Hitler lost?

True, but a few TV members would disagree.The ones coming out with lame excuses for fascism (again) on this thread.

• Like 1

The last two lines in the OP (can not be quoted for some reason?)

would and should be considered as an insult to any other country and Nation.

Here it is perceived as a matter of pride!

Shame... Very sad...

Edited by ABCer

The best way to understand the Thai mindset is: "Only MY culture, country, values and history count, all others take a back seat to Thailand." Thais live in a very insulated bubble.

From a post above, "And by the way zaza9 if someone disrespected my country in my local...they wouldn't walk out." Do you think he was talking about Thailand?