But Officer I ...

BKKBike09

5. Use of horn without proper cause – 200 baht

they should give out more of above....

In Queensland Australia:

Unnecessary use of the car horn could land a $66 fine or a maximum penalty of $2200.
Edited by PaulHamon

I've mentioned this before, and I still believe it to be true - I did know the guy involved, but only by sight. Anyway, he's driving home when his car is pulled over. All is correct and proper but he still cops a ticket. When he gets home, his wife tells him he's been booked for not having a helmet. I've been fined a few times over the years for non-existing offences - not driving in the left lane ("but that was 5km back up the road, officer" :)) is a common one.

Friend of mine got stopped years ago in his picup on Sukhumvit in Pattaya. The cop could find nothing wrong to issue a fine for so came up with a fine for smoking a cigarette while driving. My friend (who spoke good Thai) started laughing and told the cop in no uncertain terms that wasn't going to wash. The cop waved him on.

• Like 1

At the Iron Bridge in Chiang Mai I was flagged for a 400 baht offense if I want ticket I asked how much pay you he said 400 I just laffed and said give me the ticket I will go pay it after lunch. I then told him 200 baht take care here he finally said ok and I was own my way heheheh.

We were stopped once and the coppers could find nothing wrong but still wouldn't let us leave... after about 15 more minutes he finally came up and said he needed beer money 200 baht.

Payed the 200 and off we went.. TIT

Kurt

Last Friday I was driving my car at the South end of Pattaya and a cop held up his hand for me to stop. I rolled down the window and the cop stuck his head in the car saying "New Car?" ( I have red plates) he then said "license?" And I reached in my wallet and handed him my license. He inspected it and handed it back to me smiling saying "new car? I nodded my head yes, took back the license, set it on the passenger seat and drove off. At the next stop light I picked up the license to put it back in my wallet and realized I had accidentally handed him my expired Phillippine motorcycle license. <deleted>???

Question... did we go through all of this when Tea Money was the rule of the day? But we all know it still is in place... just under a different name. But some of us are happy that this way of doing things is trying to be stamped out. But the fact remains that the local Plod are beyond useless. This statement actually comes from my Thai neighbors. The traffic police are just as useless. Usually sitting on Facebook or washing their cars as if there was nothing else to do. Heaven forbid that they pull over anyone for passing on a blind corner or driving the wrong way down a highway,along with other infractions as directed by Thailand's own traffic regulations (granted you will be pressed to find a list).

A year ago I was pulled over while driving a rental car and when stopped I was told that I was doing 200 kph. Couldn't have done as there was traffic and trucks in the wrong lane, motorbikes going the wrong way, and was on a city street between traffic lights (both actually working)! I was also told that I had no licence to drive (though my international permit and US driver's licence were valid and presented to the 'officer'). After a good deal of questioning by both of us to each other, I was told to pay 200 bht to the officer or 400 in the office.... I paid the 200 bht. Then I was told to go. The fun was had when I returned the car to the agency, told them the story, and the laugh we all had was the best I had had in weeks.

I fear that Thailand is going down a road that will allow it to fail in the yes of its new 'friends' what with the AEC coming up soon. For no longer will she be able to sit back all by herself and not have to think about her impact upon the region as in the past.

The Plod is corrupt and useless. This we and the rest of the world has seen in brilliant color on TV screens. But does this mean that they should not try to dig themselves out from the mire that they themselves have created? No it does not. But the simple fact is that in Thailand logic is nonexistent and that the same old way is and will remain the same old way... just wearing different clothes perhaps.

Good luck with the AEC!

Just after I purchased my new car I had cause to go to Bangkok. My girlfriend contacted the dealer who told her what needed to be done. You need to right in the temporary book you are given with the red plates as to your trip. She did that and sure enough they pulled us over in BKK after a spotter identified our plates. Book was completed correctly BUT as it was done in pencil as per the advice of our dealer ( books last longer if you can erase logs) they fined us 200 baht.

I got nailed 2 years ago in Na Jomtien riding my Bike for no shirt. It was 40 degrees 7 I was close to home & didn't feel live sweltering any more. They took my lic & I went down with the cop & talked to the police sargeant. We all knew there is no such mandantory rule in the drivers handbook. I had the handbook in the bike & got it out & offered hin 2500 baht to show me the infraction or we just forget this ticket entirely. After they went through the drivers handbook they then went throgh their traffic law manifet of laws . Could not find Jack shit & they let me go. I don't & won't stop for the local Na Jomtien cops anymore. They will try anything to get tea money. Last times they tried to wave me over I just waved back as if they were one of my buddies. See Ya. The highway cops are the only ones I respect. And will stop for. They have 750's & up & can actually chase. Besides they are always cool to me . I never got a ticket from them yet. No reason to. I have everything legal & always polite with them. But no shirt. I swear Pattaya & outlaying areas around must think farangs are real idiots. I can see if I was naked there are laws against that but no shirt. LOL

• Like 1

I will joyfully pay $3. USD, 100 THB, to encourage cops to try to keep a lid on Thai traffic. Every stopped vehicle is a tiny warning that you may be next, so MAYBE a few people will slow down, etc. It is so very funny to hear of a guy driving an expensive vehicle begrudge a street cop THREE DOLLARS. Shhheeeesh, some cities' parking meters cost more than that.

I tell the officer to buy something for his children, we both smile, he salutes, I wai and drive on feeling I have helped fund Thailand's traffic management. Calm down, skinflints who think all the world owes them personally justice forever .... and that because they are such law abiding folks. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I will joyfully pay $3. USD, 100 THB, to encourage cops to try to keep a lid on Thai traffic. Every stopped vehicle is a tiny warning that you may be next, so MAYBE a few people will slow down, etc. It is so very funny to hear of a guy driving an expensive vehicle begrudge a street cop THREE DOLLARS. Shhheeeesh, some cities' parking meters cost more than that.

I tell the officer to buy something for his children, we both smile, he salutes, I wai and drive on feeling I have helped fund Thailand's traffic management. Calm down, skinflints who think all the world owes them personally justice forever .... and that because they are such law abiding folks. cheesy.gif

Here's the thing though...you're not helping fund Thailand's traffic management. You are empowering a system that is not providing the services the nation is paying for (enforcement of all traffic laws on the books) and rather considers sitting around most of the month with occasional extortion being the preferred method of balancing their budgets.

Don't get me wrong, they don't pay them enough. But when, as mentioned earlier, when you can stop by a police box and they're in there with their feet up and eyes closed, it doesn't do much to promote the theory they are worth more money.

The highway cops are the only ones I respect. And will stop for. They have 750's & up & can actually chase. Besides they are always cool to me . I never got a ticket from them yet. No reason to. I have everything legal & always polite with them

I have found them to be very professional also. Busted straight up outside Rayong - radar gun. Captain writing tickets. No leeway. No debate. This is the ticket. Pay. Here is your receipt. Salute. Goodbye.

The highway cops are the only ones I respect. And will stop for. They have 750's & up & can actually chase. Besides they are always cool to me . I never got a ticket from them yet. No reason to. I have everything legal & always polite with them

I have found them to be very professional also. Busted straight up outside Rayong - radar gun. Captain writing tickets. No leeway. No debate. This is the ticket. Pay. Here is your receipt. Salute. Goodbye.

I tthought they had me yesterday. I just re- worked my cabling for the trottle & the clutch cables. The clutch was adjusted improperly from the factory in Rayong. I have no idea since the clutch wasn't slipping but somehow the bike is now getting 10-15% more power. So I jumped on it & had it up to 170 & I can see up ahead the highway cops had a checkpoint & pulled me over. Just a routine check to see if I had my Chamelian paint registered in the green book . Whew I thought I was gonna get the 1000 baht ticket. Did a compression test on the bike. Nothing wrong with bike but the extra power now fells more like the 800cc. model! The cop asked me about the guy behind me scooter. I looked at the License it said FIN.

I told him the couple is from Finland & he was asking if that was a international permit lic. I tried to help the Farangs & said they had 30 days before they needed to get an international to go along with the lic. He didn't know I was pulling his leg & let the couple go. I don't think the highway cops are known for taking tea money.

Toll booth cops would be state or highway cops. I don't think they would want the local yocals trading favors for closed eyes. At least the highway cops do treat you respectfully unless your an ass. The local heat you just never know...but then again they get their 400-600 baht from me for bogus reasons & I get away with tons more I shouldn't Now in Pattaya you just need to know what cameras are working . They have them everywhere. Most of the time I can care less about very small candybar fines. In the states if I tried to get away with driving like up here. It would not be fun & then after you post bail if you still have a license your insurance goes up to the roof. I mean where else you can you have 3 people on a bike & just get a ticket for no helmet on the passengers. No complaints on a bent system as long as it isn't a blatand bullshit extortion with no basis.

Toll booth cops would be state or highway cops. I don't think they would want the local yocals trading favors for closed eyes. At least the highway cops do treat you respectfully unless your an ass. The local heat you just never know...but then again they get their 400-600 baht from me for bogus reasons & I get away with tons more I shouldn't Now in Pattaya you just need to know what cameras are working . They have them everywhere. Most of the time I can care less about very small candybar fines. In the states if I tried to get away with driving like up here. It would not be fun & then after you post bail if you still have a license your insurance goes up to the roof. I mean where else you can you have 3 people on a bike & just get a ticket for no helmet on the passengers. No complaints on a bent system as long as it isn't a blatand bullshit extortion with no basis.

Sidecar-01.jpg

Sorry...I don't think that's the bike you were thinking of.

• Like 1

I once got pulled over with three Thai girls on my ped, two sat behind me and one in front with her hands on speedo centre of bars, I got 200B fine as the Girl sat at front was over 14years of age??? <deleted>? lol

Highway cops do take tea money, I got pulled for driving on the highway with a red plated car, didn't have my licence on me, and the nice policeman took an 'on the spot' fine with no receipt.

Personally, I don't mind paying the 'fine' by the side of the road, that is how i look at it, you are going to be paying anyway if you get a ticket.

I have never been fined for crazy stuff, always been not riding in the left lane, and at most that is once or twice every 6 months.

Cops everywhere in bkk right now. Stopped twice today and fined for the left lane bs once. Let go with no fine the second time.

Couldn't pay on the spot either, despite a none too subtle offer. Had to follow the cop to the station and pay officially 400 baht. During that journey he rode the wrong side of the road against traffic, made an illegal u turn, rode in the middle lane constantly and ran over a cat (I kid you not, the cat ran off unharmed though!). Never broke so many laws in such a short time following him.

Then he lectured me at the station about riding too fast before I left!?! I was going about 30 kph when he stopped me near chinatown. Almost getting to the point I will take the car and suffer the traffic to avoid the hassle. Not good.

• Like 2