Russian tourists are cancelling their vacation plans in Pattaya

webfact

Loads of expats here seem to think that Thailand will go to the wall when its tourist industry (8% of GDP) has a downturn, yet it seems from this thread that some do not believe a 50% drop in the world market price of Russia's biggest export will have a significant effect on the Russian domestic economy.

Does not compute captain! Jingthing has the basic economics right!

Loads of expats here seem to think that Thailand will go to the wall when its tourist industry (8% of GDP) has a downturn, yet it seems from this thread that some do not believe a 50% drop in the world market price of Russia's biggest export will have a significant effect on the Russian domestic economy.

Does not compute captain! Jingthing has the basic economics right!

Your numbers may be correct but the tourism industry supports a huge black economy. From flower and fake Rolex sellers to whatever.

That's why you are seeing an upsurge in petty crime.

Pattaya has moved closer to Bangkok, thats handy

"a beach resort about 60 miles southeast of Bangkok"

It definitely has moved closer to the main international airport, or is it the airport that has moved closer, and that could well be close to 60 miles.

For Russians living in Russia, ruble crash has had little affect.

You are wrong.

Got to do little better than thatwink.png

Food prices, inflation, recession hitting poor and middle class.

Putin raised living standards which was a key to his power ... now they are falling.

Also if middle class people can't afford holidays in winter now, that hurts their quality of life in general.

Locally made products are not affected by US$ exchange rate, the only affected goods would imported electronics , cars etc which one does not buy every month or even every year

Russia imports 40% of its food. If you think this crisis won't affect most Russians then you're delusional.

http://fortune.com/2014/12/15/the-rubles-collapse-is-disastrous-for-putin-and-bad-for-you-too/

Edited by pmugghc
  • Like 1

Aeroflot might drop its prices, but what about the costs of food, hotels, entertainment? Of course the crash of the ruble affects Russian travellers! As for Crimea and Ukraine, have you not been following the news? Crimea was occupied by Russian troops and unilaterally declared by Putin to be a part of Russia months ago. As for the Ukraine, in the east there is a raging civil war with ethnic Russian separatists supported financially and militarily by Russia.

You may have a point about the economic consequences for the EU, but with Russia no longer able to squeeze them on fuel prices this winter, there could also be important benefits.

Read my post again.

I was clear when I said for Russians in general not for those travelling overseas.

Russian army did not occupy Crimea , Russia had a naval base there which was rented and paid.

You have no evidence nor does US no matter how many time they claim to have that Russia supports East financially or from military.

No evidence has ever been presented.

However Russia is the only one sending humanitarian aid unlike all the rest and in case you missed it, Kiev has cut off all pension payments to people in East Ukraine , so oldies are left to starve.

Again, Russia was a huge market for EU, especially for Germany and France , who mind you at the latest meeting indicated lifting or easing sanctions in the new year- funny that huh?!

Russia can easily increase gas prices or accept payments only in yuan, as crazy as it sounds it is possible and visible.

What do you think consequence of this action would be ?

Russia is not Greece or Spain , Russia is a huge power house economy and its downfall can easily spark huge crises worldwide, as a domino effect

I believe i read somewhere the GDP of Russia is less than that of Italy,hardly a power house. Full of good engineers and scientists yes,but like Thailand full of corruption as well. The government thinks it can ignore the markets,they wouldn't be the first to be proved wrong.

Actually more, Russia is number 6, Italy 7 it terms of GDP

Still doesn't make it a power house,take away oil and gas and what have you got ? probably a Russia at place 20

Putin raised living standards which was a key to his power ... now they are falling.

Also if middle class people can't afford holidays in winter now, that hurts their quality of life in general.

Russia imports 40% of its food. If you think this crisis won't affect most Russians then you're delusional.

http://fortune.com/2014/12/15/the-rubles-collapse-is-disastrous-for-putin-and-bad-for-you-too/

Russia does not have to import anything, it can do on its own, which they are doing now.

Linking Western media only plays to the tune of US propaganda,

Prices in Russia for local good remain the same

Just get onto any chat and speak with real Russians, NOT made up media ones.

As i said, imported goods would go up in price, food has been stopped months ago and i do not see Russian shops being empty., if anything it has boosted Russian local economy, farmers and local producers.

How often do people buy cars? or electronics?

Middle class can still afford holidays, but instead of going to EU or Thailand, they go to the black sea, again boosting local economy.

Russia does not have to import anything, it can do on its own, which they are doing now.

As i said, imported goods would go up in price, food has been stopped months ago and i do not see Russian shops being empty., if anything it has boosted Russian local economy, farmers and local producers.

Middle class can still afford holidays, but instead of going to EU or Thailand, they go to the black sea, again boosting local economy.

I believe that the figure is 60 billion in dollar denominated debt that Russia owes. I think Russian bonds are going to junk status pretty soon (this German guy I know in Pattaya says so). So if they can't borrow money and the bonds go to junk status that can't be good.

Lots of Russians walking up and down Jomtien beach today , well maybe fewer than last year , hard to tell really....

Not hard to tell.

Check the difference in the "To Jomtien" baht bus queue this year compared to last.

My estimate, Russkies down 75 percent from last year.

Last year at this time it was a total madhouse, always very long lines at night.

Mostly Russians.

Some lines now ... much smaller.

Indeed. It's the same in the other direction also. Last year early evenings there was always a queue of Russians near each View Talay building looking to get to Pattaya for the evening. But this year there seems to be no shortage of bahtbus seats at all, and it's the drivers who are looking for clients.

• Like 2

Still doesn't make it a power house,take away oil and gas and what have you got ? probably a Russia at place 20

What have you got? a fully sufficient country.....?

Top 6 is NOT Power house?

Take away gas and oil? errrr facepalm.gif ok

My idea of a power house is an economy of innovation with a mix of chemicals, engineering, banking, pharma,electronics, IT, farming, natural products like oil,gas.wood and minerals, insurance, clothing etc, Not 50% oil and gas. Russia i believe could be self sufficient if managed correctly something very few countries can be, in the west possibly only America if it came down to it. Russia has proved that it has fantastic engineers and scientists but the country doesn't give the impression that the wheels of industry are humming, just the opposite. Russia's oil and gas are on par with Britain's banking industry, over weighted. I think Germany would fit the description of power house even if at the moment things don't look to rosy,it's the huge potential which is instantly on tap which is important.

My idea of a power house is an economy of innovation with a mix of chemicals, engineering, banking, pharma,electronics, IT, farming, natural products like oil,gas.wood and minerals, insurance, clothing etc, Not 50% oil and gas. Russia i believe could be self sufficient if managed correctly something very few countries can be, in the west possibly only America if it came down to it. Russia has proved that it has fantastic engineers and scientists but the country doesn't give the impression that the wheels of industry are humming, just the opposite. Russia's oil and gas are on par with Britain's banking industry, over weighted. I think Germany would fit the description of power house even if at the moment things don't look to rosy,it's the huge potential which is instantly on tap which is important.

Oil and gas was 70% of its export. This will decline now of course since the price is coming down drastically.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Russia

Russia is still importing food,just not from the EU or America, Instead South America and Asia, Thailand is exporting chicken now to Russia. Russia does have to import, it is not self sufficient due to mismanagement, it has vast tracts of the most fertile land lying idle.

Russia has the resources and potential for all of the above , I believe this is what they are doing now, reorganising the country, they are even building its own banking system sonit will not have to go through US.

In times of crisis is when things get done and done fast.

Russia is the biggest trading partner for Germany , take this away and economy which you consider to be a powerhouse falls apart.

Furthermore Russia just cancelled one of its new lines to Europe affecting a few East European countries, including Austria/ it could potentially cause a major crisis but not only for those directly affected but the entire EU.

Nothing is as simple as it looks, perhaps the reason why Germany and France are talking easing or lifting sanctions while US ( who has little to do with Russian trade ) talking more sanctions.

Time will tell

Yes Germany is a big trading partner with Russia but they aren't trading now and nothing has fallen apart in Germany, in fact according to a report in ''Der Spiegel'' consumer confidence is climbing and the DAX isn't falling. Germany has supported Russia with investment and loans in the past more than the rest of Europe and America combined. The reports, mostly rumours i believe, about loosening the sanctions have more to do with the fear of pushing Russia into a corner that it can't escape from and the resulting consequences than with dire economic fears although there will be an impact there as well,it's too early to see how much. The most impact on Russia comes from the falling oil and gas prices not from sanctions,they are just the icing on the cake and unlike Russia the west is pragmatic,ideology takes a back seat to economy.

Russia is the biggest trading partner for Germany , take this away and economy which you consider to be a powerhouse falls apart.

Do you folks believe anything written on Thai Visa?

Germany's Top 5 Import Traders:

1. NETHERLANDS

2. CHINA

3. FRANCE

4. UNITED STATES

5. ITALY

Germany's Top 5 Export Traders:

1.FRANCE

2. NETHERLANDS

3. UNITED STATES

4. UNITED KINGDOM

5. ITALY

http://blackredyellow.weebly.com/who-are-germanys-trade-partners.html

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

Do you folks believe anything written on Thai Visa?

Germany's Top 5 Import Traders:

1. NETHERLANDS

2. CHINA

3. FRANCE

4. UNITED STATES

5. ITALY

Germany's Top 5 Export Traders:

1.FRANCE

2. NETHERLANDS

3. UNITED STATES

4. UNITED KINGDOM

5. ITALY

http://blackredyellow.weebly.com/who-are-germanys-trade-partners.html

Do you not understand trading partner?

Yes Germany is a big trading partner with Russia but they aren't trading now and nothing has fallen apart in Germany, in fact according to a report in ''Der Spiegel'' consumer confidence is climbing and the DAX isn't falling. Germany has supported Russia with investment and loans in the past more than the rest of Europe and America combined. The reports, mostly rumours i believe, about loosening the sanctions have more to do with the fear of pushing Russia into a corner that it can't escape from and the resulting consequences than with dire economic fears although there will be an impact there as well,it's too early to see how much. The most impact on Russia comes from the falling oil and gas prices not from sanctions,they are just the icing on the cake and unlike Russia the west is pragmatic,ideology takes a back seat to economy.

Very debatable , perhaps for another topic

I was praying God in the beginning of this year, to collapse the rouble, so that the russians wouldn't travel so much anymore. God is merciful.

true story. I am not trying to cut a joke.

It wasn't God. It was Putin.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I was praying God in the beginning of this year, to collapse the rouble, so that the russians wouldn't travel so much anymore. God is merciful.

No it wasn't it was primarily linked to energy prices.

Putin has had some effect with the Ukrainian crisis that created embargos but that is supported by the average Russian so you can hardly blame Putin.

Edited by Tolley
  • Like 1

Putin has had some effect with the Ukrainian crisis that created embargos but that is supported by the average Russian so you can hardly blame Putin.

" that is supported by the average Russian "

which is much more than you can say about America's leadership these daysermm.gif

• Like 1

Tolley..."Putin has had some effect with the Ukrainian crisis that created embargos but that is supported by the average Russian so you can hardly blame Putin."

.....ahhmm..no..thats not really correct...what is supported by the average Russian...is what Putin and the Kremlin want them to know...but remember they are like mushrooms...kept in the dark..that is why Putin controls what Russians can do on the internet..he seeks to control what they know...they just get Putins version...if he had told them that the currency was going to drop 50% and had a referendum the result may have been different..but Putin seeks to control everyone and everything in Russia..just like a good egotistic dictator should..the Russian people are only cannon fodder..but ya gotta hand it to him ..he is an expert manipulator and actor:-)

Tolley..."Putin has had some effect with the Ukrainian crisis that created embargos but that is supported by the average Russian so you can hardly blame Putin."

.....ahhmm..no..thats not really correct...what is supported by the average Russian...is what Putin and the Kremlin want them to know...but remember they are like mushrooms...kept in the dark..that is why Putin controls what Russians can do on the internet..he seeks to control what they know...they just get Putins version...if he had told them that the currency was going to drop 50% and had a referendum the result may have been different..but Putin seeks to control everyone and everything in Russia..just like a good egotistic dictator should..the Russian people are only cannon fodder..but ya gotta hand it to him ..he is an expert manipulator and actor:-)

Embargoes didn't have anywhere near the same effect as the drop in the price of oil and gas which is where Russia gets most of its revenue.

As for stooges the US media and govt is pretty good at pulling the wool over the eyes of the average American imho.

I mean they sucked them into a war in Iraq that cost them billions for no result whatsoever.

In fact I would to say that your average Russian is a lot more political savvy than your average American

Edited by Tolley
  • Like 1

Tolley..."As for stooges the US media is pretty good at pulling the wool over the eyes of the average American imho.

In fact I would to say that your average Russian is a lot more political savvy than your average American"

..whooaa..some big calls there...haha
.....uhhmm..how much of the US media...is govt owned and controled.... like Russia media is..
..obviously folks who are predisposed to be anti American ...will find any excusewink.png
  • Like 1

If it rains on Christmas Day JT would blame Putin!

• Like 2

Tolley..."As for stooges the US media is pretty good at pulling the wool over the eyes of the average American imho.

In fact I would to say that your average Russian is a lot more political savvy than your average American"

..whooaa..some big calls there...haha
.....uhhmm..how much of the US media...is govt owned and controled.... like Russia media is..
..obviously folks who are predisposed to be anti American ...will find any excusewink.png

Equally if you think that the American public are receiving news from impartial sources I have a bridge I can sell yougiggle.gif

The media is not government owned in US……………. its cartel ownedbah.gif

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2