Rayong - what to do there

mogo51

Rayong city is your typical dull Thai provincial city, you'll find it hard to spot the differences between Rayong and Chonburi or Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, and so on and on.

The only difference Rayong offers is that it's a hell of a traffic jam in the morning and the evening at rush hours

All these places are built on the same roads with the same shop houses, same banks, same bill boards, increasingly the same malls, same hotels, etc. Apart from a few attractions the cities in Thailand are no reason to move around.

• Like 1

I live here! Don't bother - there is absolutely nothing to do. By pass it and head for Koh Samet another 40 mins and you can go across for a day on the beach . Take the ferry have fun and when you get there go past at least the first two beaches and then you'll be ok!

• Like 1

Was just there for the week stayed Hub de Leaf, Great Deal, Great Hotel excellent Value, but a lil far out, if u don't have transport, weekends are busy and it fills the rooms up, Terracotta restaurant is Very Good, if you go down south of Marriott Hotel about 10 min.lots of restaurants on beach, Great Italian Restaurant on Beach La Cappana, owner makes their own sausages and Italian meats, I put it on TA, Beaches Beautiful but Deserted.... Enjoy

• Like 1

The Ban Chang strip is the only thing worth visiting in Rayong. Its a smaller less in your face version of Soi 6 Pattaya.

Except it is about 30 Minutes from Rayong.

Ban Chang is in Rayong province. I know this because I used to live there.

There's the tree-tops cable-zip-wire ride (10 spans totalling over 3kms) if that's your thing. Also, Brookside village (aka Strawberry town) - a pseudo-European style "resort" further up in the hills.

Further on down the coast there's the Thai Navy Battleship which I understand is like a floating museum.

Loads of cyclists around as well (esp. east of the city), although traffic is getting increasingly heavier, as previously mentioned, at rush-hours in the city or around Map-ta-phut..

• Like 1

The Ban Chang strip is the only thing worth visiting in Rayong. Its a smaller less in your face version of Soi 6 Pattaya.

Except it is about 30 Minutes from Rayong.

Ban Chang is in Rayong province. I know this because I used to live there.

I am well aware of that and it has not moved, Ban Chang the town is about 30 minutes from Rayong city.

Not very keen on Rayong or Maptaput but the coast road from Bang Chang to Rayong is nice to drive.

As for Rayong when ever I have to go there to Global House I cant leave fast enough but lunch at the Camel is nice on the way back.

Or coming back maybe drive up the 36 past Hardware House and stop off and see the amazing standing stones just at the back of the store on the hill, there is a track that goes right up there.

• Like 1

Rayong city is your typical dull Thai provincial city, you'll find it hard to spot the differences between Rayong and Chonburi or Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, and so on and on.

The only difference Rayong offers is that it's a hell of a traffic jam in the morning and the evening at rush hours

All these places are built on the same roads with the same shop houses, same banks, same bill boards, increasingly the same malls, same hotels, etc. Apart from a few attractions the cities in Thailand are no reason to move around.

Absolutely correct. Outside of Tourist-Hubs, Thailand has nothing to offer for a thinking Farang. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ! Farangs, hanging around somewhere in the countryside, are there because they have a "Family to take care of". = The usual ATM Syndrome.

Cheers.

• Like 2

So much to see as many places as long as you have no prejudices.
But do your homework first.

Some Farangs have done their homework already. So, give us all a list of things to do. Always open to new discoveries and hidden treasures unknown to Farangs so far.

Exclude Temples from the list: We have been there already.

Cheers.

Went there on a hunting expedition, met up with a lady, then another one but i found the place ''as dull as dishwater'' i wanted to go to sight-see the beach but boredom set in and i got the next mini-van to Bangkok, one thing that struck me was that the Hotel prices across the board were the cheapest i have ever seen in Thailand, i don't know why?

• Like 1

i really dont think its worth a day trip myself, shopping mall is ok if you have to go.

They should lock up the idiot who designed the parking garage in a home for the bewildered!

. That's a Fact, Terrible, I don't even like the Layout inside,it's a Mess, what's it called again Laem (Lame) something... Need a Central Plaza cordinator .