Possible changes to 90 day reporting?

I have a non imm 'O' and have to leave the country every 90 days. Apart from making the tourist entry figures look better, what is the reason or benefit to the nation of all these visa runs. sad.png

Edited by oldsailor35

I have a non imm 'O' and have to leave the country every 90 days. Apart from making the tourist entry figures look better, what is the reason or benefit of all these visa runs. sad.png

If you apply for an extension of stay, you don't have to leave the country, but you then have to start to do 90 days report.

Went to Jomtien 22nd December for 90 day report, passport only.

The guy checked the computer, printed off the tearoff and I was out again in 2 minutes.

Same for me: in and out in 2 minutes.

BUT: I live half way between Khonkaen and Udon Thai ( I can see the highway from my balcony), but just inside the border of Kalasin province. That means I have to go Sakon Nakon and that means a 180 km drive...and a 180 km drive back. I asked if it was possible to do it by mail and the answer was: "no, you have to come in person". Maybe they like me.....

I think there is a confusion between 90 days report and prolongation of an annual Visa ;

You don't need to go at your province immigration office for a 90 days report;

You can do it everywhere in Thailand ;

if Khon_Kaen is at less kilometers than Sakon_Nakhon , go to Khon_Kaen ; you go there alone even you are married;

It's only for a prolongation you must go with your wife or alone if you aren't married and all the documents they ask from you in the Immigration Office from which you belong

90 day reports must also be done at your local immigration office. But as you report your current address, you can report to another immigration office if you stay in their area of responsibility for a vacation or a visit for example. (Which may require some proof of address, like a hotel bill).

The guy checked the computer, printed off the tearoff and I was out again in 2 minutes.

BUT: I live half way between Khonkaen and Udon Thai ( I can see the highway from my balcony), but just inside the border of Kalasin province. That means I have to go Sakon Nakon and that means a 180 km drive...and a 180 km drive back. I asked if it was possible to do it by mail and the answer was: "no, you have to come in person". Maybe they like me.....

I think there is a confusion between 90 days report and prolongation of an annual Visa ;

You don't need to go at your province immigration office for a 90 days report;

You can do it everywhere in Thailand ;

if Khon_Kaen is at less kilometers than Sakon_Nakhon , go to Khon_Kaen ; you go there alone even you are married;

It's only for a prolongation you must go with your wife or alone if you aren't married and all the documents they ask from you in the Immigration Office from which you belong

You cannot make a 90 day report to a different immigration office other than the one assigned for where you live unless you can put a local address on the report for the office where you do the report.

There is only one exception to this rule that I know of. The Korat immigration office accepts reports from those living in certain areas of Buriram.

If your company has BOI status, you can send somebody with your passport every 90 days. You don't need to go in person.

No need for a BOI, i Work for a "Normal" Thai co.ltd, and either our Admin visit the Immigration, or we sent it in by post.

My wife has been doing my reports for years now. All I do is print out the form, sign it and give her my passport.

I been living here 30+ years and years ago we never had to do 90-day reporting, then some years ago all of a sudden we were ordered to do the 90-day reporting. At first some of us thought it was some new law but then we found out it was in fact an old law that had been relaxed and then they started enforcing it again.

true

BUT also years ago u had to do a Tax clearance every time you left and had stayed more than 180 days in a year.

that cost me 1,000 baht each time i left

I wil take the FREE 90 day reporting anytime

I been living here 30+ years and years ago we never had to do 90-day reporting, then some years ago all of a sudden we were ordered to do the 90-day reporting. At first some of us thought it was some new law but then we found out it was in fact an old law that had been relaxed and then they started enforcing it again.

true

BUT also years ago u had to do a Tax clearance every time you left and had stayed more than 180 days in a year.

that cost me 1,000 baht each time i left

I wil take the FREE 90 day reporting anytime

Yep good point Richard, I remember the tax clearances, pain in the ass they were, life is certainly a bit easier now we no longer need to do them. Let's cross our fingers in hope that they don't bring that requirement back some day.

It's already possible to do 90 day reports by post in Bangkok.

And it's possible the returned slip will get lost in the post!

Never happened to me. The post service in Bangkok is quite reliable. But even if it doesn't arrive the EMS receipt is proof.

it's not sent back ems that's when they get lost. Happened to me twice, never again as you have to get a cop report for the loss. immigration were not happy and the ems proof of delivery meant nothing, they want the renew form they sent out. Even with the cop report it was not easy at CW,

You must be doubly unlucky. You can pay for EMS for the return but a 10 baht stamp has always worked for me.

I read that in the news but did not take it seriously.

To do away 90 day reports requires a change to the immigration act of 1979 and cannot foresee that happening anytime soon.

Indeed -- but he left himself the option of mail/email reporting which would be a vast improvement over personal appearances wink.png

Mail is possible already in some provinces, but to have email reporting would be perfect. They do need to track foreigners, look at the mess in countries who don't do this. wink.png

Yeah, the UK.

Been 90 days for at least the last 20 years.

I came here in 1994, 20 years ago and have done business here for 32 years. I met my Thai wife in the UK so our eldest daughter also has a British passport. It is not true to say that 90 day reporting was not enforced for at least the last 20 years. It seems to have been part of a job creation program by Thai Immigration on 30th June 1997 at the time of the 1997 crash of the Thai Economy. Even then they did not enforce the fines for children under the age of 20 for not reporting every 90 days until around 10 years ago.

I can't remember the time-line. All I'm saying is I remember for a long time there was no such thing as farang having to do 90-day reporting (although it was actually a law - but just not enforced at the time) then we were informed we had to do the 90-day reporting and they got very strict about it. Honestly can't remember when all this happened, it was long ago.

I have been here 32 years and only started doing 90 day reports about 4 or 5 years ago. I believe it was brought into play about 4 or 5 years before that (maybe lonnger), but I simply did not report. It had no impact on getting my annual extension. I just went through life pleading ignorance and did not do my first report until they actual stamped in my passport (when I did an annual extension) that I had to report to immigration every 90 days report. Alas, I could no longer plead ignorance and my first report cost me a Baht 2,000 fine. But hell it saved me a lot of faffing about for a number of years. I thought it was worth the fine.

• Like 1

Suggest you send it by EMS and then wait to find out what the response is, apart from the receipt.

and chiang mai......clap2.gif

Yes, Chiang Mai has re-entered the allowance to post the 90 day report again, they have said that the postage must be sent 1 month before the ending the existing 90 day report.

Due to the 1 month early sending request we hope that they will start the new 90 day report at the end of the existing 90 day report list.

Yes, Chiang Mai has re-entered the allowance to post the 90 day report again, they have said that the postage must be sent 1 month before the ending the existing 90 day report.

Due to the 1 month early sending request we hope that they will start the new 90 day report at the end of the existing 90 day report list.

Not true. The requirement is to send the report no later than 15 days before your due date, but they accept reports mailed later than that as long as they arrive before your due date. I send my latest 90 day report to Chiang Mai Immigration 6 days before my due date, and received the receipt without problems.

The 90 days calculated to your next report starts when the report is processed, which most likely will be the same day as it is received. So if reporting my mail to Chiang Mai Immigration you will have to report a little more often than 90 days (something like every 80-90 days depending on when you choose to send your reports).

Sophon

The requirement is to send the report no later than 15 days before your due date, but they accept reports mailed later than that as long as they arrive before your due date. I send my latest 90 day report to Chiang Mai Immigration 6 days before my due date, and received the receipt without problems.

The Immigration Bureau notice which I attached at post #74 states that mailed reports should be received no later than 7 days before the due date. So presumably Chiang Mai have introduced a local rule which works in our favour for a change?

If you report to the same place at immigration in the countryside i think they learn to know you'

Sometimes there are new officers but mostly on the 90 day reports the officers who have been there awhile and know you do the documents well call u over, get their coffee money and piss you off after giving you your paper.

I hear all these stories about Chiang Mia ...does that not need a complaint sent to His Happiness to sort out that bitchiness that seems apparent there?

Regards

You hear stories about CM there is no problem there except to many people wanting services, considering that the level of man power hasn't been raised in a while they do a good job. By the way do not spread second hand rumors.
Good point. The last sentence seems unnecessary, as I am not in the habit of telling people what to do

90 day reports couldn't be easier, did mine today arrived just after 8 and was the only one there along with one immigration lady, she asked what I wanted, 90 day report, sit down and give passport.

Scan the old bit of paper without even looking at the passport, check the screen, the printer printed out a form which she signed and stamped, tore the bottom piece off and stapled it in my passport, thank you very much out the door before opening time.

I suppose a lot depends how far away the immigration office is from where you live. Mine is 85 km away.

"I have been here 32 years and only started doing 90 day reports about 4 or 5 years ago. I believe it was brought into play about 4 or 5 years before that (maybe lonnger), but I simply did not report. It had no impact on getting my annual extension. I just went through life pleading ignorance and did not do my first report until they actual stamped in my passport (when I did an annual extension) that I had to report to immigration every 90 days report. Alas, I could no longer plead ignorance and my first report cost me a Baht 2,000 fine. But hell it saved me a lot of faffing about for a number of years. I thought it was worth the fine."

"I can't remember the time-line. All I'm saying is I remember for a long time there was no such thing as farang having to do 90-day reporting (although it was actually a law - but just not enforced at the time) then we were informed we had to do the 90-day reporting and they got very strict about it. Honestly can't remember when all this happened, it was long ago."

I have been on a Non Immigrant-O- Thai Wife Visa since 2000. If I recall they brought back an old rule about 90 day reporting around the time they found that Hambali terrorist guy in Ayyuthia.

There are several laws like that here - the no-buying alcohol between 2pm - 5pm was another laws dragged up during Thaksin's time to win some brownie points without having to change the law.

Edited by RegularReader

Not true. The requirement is to send the report no later than 15 days before your due date, but they accept reports mailed later than that as long as they arrive before your due date. I send my latest 90 day report to Chiang Mai Immigration 6 days before my due date, and received the receipt without problems.

The 90 days calculated to your next report starts when the report is processed, which most likely will be the same day as it is received. So if reporting my mail to Chiang Mai Immigration you will have to report a little more often than 90 days (something like every 80-90 days depending on when you choose to send your reports).

Sophon

The start of your reply in this matter should not have been "Not true" better to have stated "surprising" because when I went to the IMMI office 2 days ago (Tuesday) I spoke to a senior IMMI officer about the current 90 days posting and he told me to sent it "1 month prior to ending".

In the past when they allowed the posting I did the sending always 2 weeks before and that was alright, thus I was surprised when he told me the sending should be 1 month before the ending of the 90 days.

I will sent my wife (thai) in due course to IMMI and she will ask the 90 days desk staff what the correct posting time will be and I hope it will be as in the past about 2 weeks before ending.

Nevertheless, the monthly posting might not be a problem if the new 90 day list starts from the end of the existing one.

Edited by personchester

Been 90 days for at least the last 20 years.

Not everywhere enforced it. 2001 was the big enforcement date for much off the visa BS.

Sophon

The start of your reply in this matter should not have been "Not true" better to have stated "surprising" because when I went to the IMMI office 2 days ago (Tuesday) I spoke to a senior IMMI officer about the current 90 days posting and he told me to sent it "1 month prior to ending".

In the past when they allowed the posting I did the sending always 2 weeks before and that was alright, thus I was surprised when he told me the sending should be 1 month before the ending of the 90 days.

I will sent my wife (thai) in due course to IMMI and she will ask the 90 days desk staff what the correct posting time will be and I hope it will be as in the past about 2 weeks before ending.

Nevertheless, the monthly posting might not be a problem if the new 90 day list starts from the end of the existing one.

Hmm, looks like there's more than 1 "local rule" in force at Chiang Mai then, depending on who you speak to and, more importantly, which side of the bed they got out of that particular morning!laugh.png

Sophon

That may have been what you were told, but it is not what the rules say (see link for official rules) nor is it how Chiang Mai Immigration handles the reports in practice. There is a pinned topic in the Chiang Mai forum with guidelines on how to report in Chiang Mai, and there is also a running topic where several posters have confirmed sending their reports with even less than the 15 days stated in the rules, and no-one is mailing them a month before the due date. The window for reporting is only from 15 days before due date to 7 days after (7 days after only for reporting in person), so sending the report a month in advance would see it arrive before you are allowed to report.

As already mentioned, your new 90 day report date is calculated from when you did your latest report, not from when your last one was due. And since Chiang Mai Immigration seem to process the reports as soon as they arrive, you will lose a few days. But we are only talking about having to do one more report every couple of years, so that is not really a big deal.

Sophon

I just did my 90 day reporting yesterday, filled out the form they gave me, signed every copy of my passport pages and arrival card, sent a self addressed envelope, with a ฿10 stamp, and mailed it EMS total cost ฿42, easy as can be, what is there to complain about. Oh my immigration office is Sakhon Nakhon.

I just did my 90 day reporting yesterday, filled out the form they gave me, signed every copy of my passport pages and arrival card, sent a self addressed envelope, with a ฿10 stamp, and mailed it EMS total cost ฿42, easy as can be, what is there to complain about. Oh my immigration office is Sakhon Nakhon.

There is nothing to complain about if All immigration offices would accept Mail in reports but unfortunately a lot of them don't (yet), so a 90 Day in the future (for me that is) will mean a 180km+ Roundtrip.

Respect

:wai:

Edited by MJCM