Avoiding 'iffy' expats......

ThePlant

treat people as you would in your home country

many expats expect you to relate here and you dont have to play the tourist role and prove anything to anybody

learn to not just give out personal info on why your here and how. its bs. you dont have to answer this stuff just because your in a new location. thailand is one of the best places there is to practice that skill of being your own man and not explaining everything to everybody. makes bar chatter difficult though, learn to have a conversation about something interesting

when you learn to be your own man and dont feel like you have to explain or give whatever is asked you become an extremely difficult target for scammers, in fact they will likely move to a softer target.

If anyone asks me what I do in Thailand and why I`m here, I tell them, have nothing to hide.

such as?

I'd say there are more Ex pat wrong-uns in Thailand than elsewhere in Asia. Probably because it used to be easy to come here with no money and eek out a living working without a Work Visa. Some of those people are ok I'm sure, but being skint in a foreign country doesn't usually bring the best out in people

• Like 2

No bashing intended here and I am a Brit, but I have to say that of all the western expats I've met over the past twenty years of being here (permanently and as a visitor) the dodgy ones have always been Brits and I'm not sure why that is. Just an observation.

Thank you for coming forward with this observtion, Chiang Mai. And for disclosing that you're a Brit.

I knew I'd get bashed for making the observation I did in the previous page (and I probably lost votes for it) but I've heard others make the same observation, too.

I'm not anti-Brit. I'm just at a loss to understand why both the con-men and the victims seem to be disproportionately British. Trying to make sense of it. And I don't think it's totally fair to blame good social service organizations. If the OP and others are trying to come up with an explanation for the phenomenon, can't another slant be offered? One that doesn't just blame the social service organizations entirely?

And imply that everyone who assumes a leadership role in those organizations also has the same motivation? That, I suspect, is really what some posters are on about.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

No bashing intended here and I am a Brit, but I have to say that of all the western expats I've met over the past twenty years of being here (permanently and as a visitor) the dodgy ones have always been Brits and I'm not sure why that is. Just an observation.

Thank you for coming forward with this observtion, Chiang Mai. And for disclosing that you're a Brit.

I knew I'd get bashed for making the observation I did in the previous page (and I probably lost votes for it) but I've heard others make the same observation, too.

I'm not anti-Brit. I'm just at a loss to understand why both the con-men and the victims seem to be disproportionately British. Trying to make sense of it. And I don't think it's totally fair to blame good social service organizations. If the OP and others are trying to come up with an explanation for the phenomenon, can't another slant be offered? One that doesn't just blame the social service organizations entirely?

And imply that everyone who assumes a leadership role in those organizations also has the same motivation? That, I suspect, is really what some posters are on about.

You would be more likely to do someone from Your own country a favour and so increase the potential for getting ripped off by someone from your own country

• Like 1

One guy I knew from CM conned a certain Rotary Club by telling them his daughter needed an operation which could only be performed overseas.

So they raised about a million baht, he had a nice holiday, returned to Thailand and bought a brand new pick-up truck. He wasn't British.

You would be more likely to do someone from Your own country a favour and so increase the potential for getting ripped off by someone from your own country

So true. It's natural to trust someone that you think is more like yourself, especially in a foreign country. And no one knows more about human nature than a con artist.

Let me make it simple. If you believe that you are the 'right-type' of expat, my guess is that your head is so firmly shoved where the 'sun-don't-shine' and you're overly stuck on you're own status -- meaning there is little if anything separating you from HiSo Thais and Wall Street scum. Enjoy the exclusivity of your club. And stay away from 'real people' with an ingrained sense of morality.

Signed,

A traveling man

Edited by CALSinCM
  • Like 1

One guy I knew from CM conned a certain Rotary Club by telling them his daughter needed an operation which could only be performed overseas.

So they raised about a million baht, he had a nice holiday, returned to Thailand and bought a brand new pick-up truck. He wasn't British.

AFT -- I don't know you, but you seem to have a major problem with me and my mere existence on the planet, much less my being nominated for Thai Visa POTY. Much of what you post are really thinly disguised personal attacks.

But, you've stepped over the line here. I'm pretty knowledgeable about CM Rotary activities. I think I would have known about this story. It just doesn't ring true for several reasons.

First, Rotary clubs don't normally give money to individuals -- they raise funds for projects that benefit groups of people, like installing a water filtration system for a school, conducting an eye clinic for a group of villages -- that sort of thing.

Secondly, there are very few surgeries that can't be performed in Thailand.

And thirdly, a million baht is only $27,000 U.S. which really isn't very much money if someone has to go overseas for some sort of special surgery. But, it's a huge sum for a Thai Rotary Club to raise by itself for a charity project and it definitely would have attracted attentions within local Rotary circles.

If you PM me with details and the story checks out, I'll be honest enough to come onto this forum and say I was wrong and you were right.

The person concerned is dead now and he had the sense to go to a different Rotary Club other than his own. I would rather not disclose names but I can assure you it happened and I believe he was barred from the club.

Nancy I am sure you have done good deeds and the POTY is a chance for everyone to vent their spleen and have a joke at the candidates expense.

I would just kindly request that you please try to understand there are many different kinds of expats here and the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Have a nice day.

• Like 2

Thais value social cohesion. Being friendly to strangers is part of the process.

Thais notice when one farang is rude and unfriendly towards another farang.

They conclude that farangs aren't really friendly, and that there's no need to be friendly to farangs because they don't reciprocate or value that friendliness.

People need to wake up! Is that really the message you want to be sending?

If cold anomynity, interpersonal brick walls, and social isolation and exclusion is what you're about, why on earth did you move to the land of smiles?

Like a nod or a smile is too much effort.

Pffft.

thais dont nod and smile at strangers in our town

• Like 1