Thais explain what Christmas means to them

webfact

A lot of the Thais interviewed seem to be 'excited about the cold weather' - at 22 deg C here in Pattaya, I'm not sure I'd describe it as particularly cold although the nights have definitely cooled right down. Beyond that, its the usual excuse for the shops to try to convince everyone - Thai and foreigner alike - that they should be giving one another presents. I suspect that Thai parents will be just as 'over' Xmas as Western parents have been for decades, although to their credit they dont seem to have the same aversion many of us have to spending a day with our relatives. I'm going to give some of my female associates English Mustard as I believe a gift should leave a lasting impression and that definitely fits the bill - other than that, a few 500-baht notes for the poor sods downstairs who've had to endure me for the past 8 months : I consider that an investment more than a gift, and the guys who work nights have definitely earnt it.

• Like 1

Many Thai have asked me what is the correlation between Santa and Jesus Christ. Of course, there isn't any. Christmas is supposed to be the birth of Christ, but it isn't. This makes everything terribly confusing. But not to worry, because Westerners don't really understand what's going on either.

Christmas is just goofing off and nothing more. So go ahead and good off and enjoy it.

We always feel we need a good excuse to feel happy, alive, and kind toward one another. We don't. We can do that anytime, everyday. The good thing about Christmas is that some who are never inspired to be nice Will be nice on Christmas. That's something to look forward to.

Christmas is nonsense. Enjoy your nonsense!

• Like 2

Many Thai have asked me what is the correlation between Santa and Jesus Christ. Of course, there isn't any. Christmas is supposed to be the birth of Christ, but it isn't. This makes everything terribly confusing. But not to worry, because Westerners don't really understand what's going on either.

santacross1.jpg

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian

A-15th-century-nativity-s-009.jpg

The birth of Christ may be the most famous Bible story of all, reprised annually in nativity scenes across the world each Christmas: Jesus was born in a stable, because there was no room at the inn. But evangelical scholar Rev Ian Paul has argued that the entire story may be based on a misreading of the New Testament, reviving an ancient theory that Jesus was not, in fact, born in a stable.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/23/jesus-christ-not-born-in-stable-theologian-new-testament

Not born in a separate stable but downstairs in the straw with the animals, guess that makes all the difference thenwhistling.gif

Hmm, did you read the analysis part? I though he said not born outside alone, but in the midst of the family and attending relatives in a full house. whistling.gif

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Frankly i enjoy christmas in Thailand,without the absurd commercial hype that it has become in the west,no surprises in the article,being a Buddist country,what else would they think.

What are you talking about? Christmas in Thailand is nothing but absurd commercial hype. At least in the West there is an understanding of the spirit of Xmas, that doesn't have to be about religion and goes way way deeper than the stupid Coca Cola man that the Thais expect their farang teachers to clown dress up as.

• Like 2

I don't like Christmas here because Thais think just cause I have white skin I'm supposed to be celebrating it. I thought I could escape such inanity in non-Christian country but apparently not.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't like Christmas here because Thais think just cause I have white skin I'm supposed to be celebrating it. I thought I could escape such inanity in non-Christian country but apparently not.

Apparently it is open to black people as well JT. clap2.gif

• Like 2

I have Thai festivals listed on my Google calendar. It surprises that Christmas shows up. Obviously it's not a national holiday, but it is given recognition just like Chinese New Year. The Christian population in Thailand is less than 2%, but it gets a mention on the calendar. There is not a single mention of any Islamic holidays (Ramadan, Ead, etc.), although the Muslim population in Thailand is twice as high as the Christian population at 3-4%.

Japan has about the same percentage of Christians as Thailand, and even though Japan has really embraced their own (slightly odd) interpretation of Christmas. they still didn't mention it on their national calendar! It's weird to me that Christmas would be given such acknowledgement on such a national level over other traditional festivals.

The birth of Christ may be the most famous Bible story of all, reprised annually in nativity scenes across the world each Christmas: Jesus was born in a stable, because there was no room at the inn. But evangelical scholar Rev Ian Paul has argued that the entire story may be based on a misreading of the New Testament, reviving an ancient theory that Jesus was not, in fact, born in a stable.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/23/jesus-christ-not-born-in-stable-theologian-new-testament

As long as he wasn't born in a 7 Eleven shop..., that I could not bear!

Apparently it is open to black people as well JT. clap2.gif

Leave the Dutch out of this!

• Like 1

Christmas is just goofing off and nothing more. So go ahead and good off and enjoy it.

We always feel we need a good excuse to feel happy, alive, and kind toward one another. We don't. We can do that anytime, everyday. The good thing about Christmas is that some who are never inspired to be nice Will be nice on Christmas. That's something to look forward to.

Christmas is nonsense. Enjoy your nonsense!

alot of "opinions" dressed up in wrapping paper as "facts".
  • Like 1

Strange, as Jesus didn't have white skin.

• Like 1

My Mrs will be spending her first Christmas in Oz.

She just asked me what will we do tomorrow.

I said we will go and see the daughter, her husband and the grandkids to give them presents, then come home and have a couple of friends over for a feed..

Her face dropped.

She wanted to go to the city (60k away) to see the huge parties.

I tried to explain that this doesn't happen...the place will be totally dead...no shops/pubs open etc.

Different cultural expectations I guess.

She has since cheered up knowing that New Years eve will be huge.

What about the star in the sky that led the 3 wise men? Don't tell me that was a mistranslation..