Is running really good for you?

Any aerobic exercise ius good. The unfortunate thing is that people do iut wrong....they have or develop bad habits, especially in relation to mechanical/skeletal movement. E.G. If you don't run correctly you are likely to cause damage to cartilidge and bone which in turn can lead to other problems in other parts of your body...in particular the back.

Before embarking on any serious program of exercise, its a good idea to get an expert - a sports physiotherapist or similar to look at your style and suggest ways to improve it or avoid injury.

I subscribe to the finite number of heartbeats theory. Each of us has only so many heartbeats allotted to us in our lifetime. If we waste them all running, we shorten our lifespan.

This is similar to the herd theory of drinking. Alcohol kills brain cells. Just as predators improve the health of the herd by culling out the sick, the weak, and the lame, alcohol does the same for brain cells, allowing the brain as a whole to perform better. Sorry to stray from topic.

While I don't believe that, a good runner has very slow heartbeat when not running. 45 is common, some extreme people can have 40 and less beats per minute.

I subscribe to the finite number of heartbeats theory. Each of us has only so many heartbeats allotted to us in our lifetime. If we waste them all running, we shorten our lifespan.

This is similar to the herd theory of drinking. Alcohol kills brain cells. Just as predators improve the health of the herd by culling out the sick, the weak, and the lame, alcohol does the same for brain cells, allowing the brain as a whole to perform better. Sorry to stray from topic.

While I don't believe that, a good runner has very slow heartbeat when not running. 45 is common, some extreme people can have 40 and less beats per minute.

I think that the CajunCruiser was pulling our leg just a bit.

I think that the CajunCruiser was pulling our leg just a bit.

If he pulls my leg I can't run laugh.png

• Like 1

If you want to run, run a mile.

If you want to experience a different life, run a marathon.

If you want to talk to God, run an ultra.

Dean Karnazes

Everyone who does really long distances, no matter bike, running, swimming, mountain hiking is a narcotic addict on endorphins.......Most probably the most healthy addiction.....

• Like 1

Cycling on the level and hiking uphill is way better for the older body.

Much less stress on the knee and ankle joints.

The guy that popularised jogging (Jim Fixx), died age 52 while jogging.

More recently Rik Mayall, age 56, died from a heart attack after jogging.

Research suggest joggers generally have shorter lives than couch potatoes,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/jogging-could-actually-bad-you-3341609

Right.... There were times when scientist also claimed the earth was flat as pancake and atoms were the smallest particles in the universe. Just saying.

• Like 1

Cycling on the level and hiking uphill is way better for the older body.

Much less stress on the knee and ankle joints.

The guy that popularised jogging (Jim Fixx), died age 52 while jogging.

More recently Rik Mayall, age 56, died from a heart attack after jogging.

Research suggest joggers generally have shorter lives than couch potatoes,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/jogging-could-actually-bad-you-3341609

Possible but we live better..........smile.png