Renewing a British passport in Thailand (BKK)

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2014 at 5:19 PM, roath said:

Got mine back within 3 weeks which seems to be about the case currently based on comments from other posters

Mine must of had a tail wind, 17days.

On 8/6/2018 at 5:42 PM, Johnson81 said:

When the passport is ready for collection, can you just go and pick it up, or do you need to make an appointment?

On 8/6/2018 at 5:48 PM, theoldgit said:

Just go and collect.

On 8/6/2018 at 5:48 PM, theoldgit said:

Just go and collect.

My UK passport was renewed last month (July).

The e-mail advising that my new passport was ready for collection said:-

" ... I would be grateful if you could advise when you wish to collect the passport. Our opening days and hours are as follows:  Monday to Friday 09.00 hours to 15.00 hours. Please send an email to [email protected] to confirm collection of the passport.  We need an exact time and date.".

So no appointment, just a firm date and time that you'll be there to collect.

I got my new UK passport 6 days ago. From delivery of docs. to Trendy to receipt of the 'passport is ready' e-mail was 16 days then a further 6 days until it was in my hands. That included 2 'normal' weekends and 1 'long' weekend and return EMS mail time. I used an agent in Chonburi - good performance BTW - because I didn't want to make the 5+ hours each way trip to BKK.

Edited by MartinL

33 minutes ago, Johnson81 said:

Hi,

Just a quick question for anyone who has renewed a UK passport in Bangkok.

Section 2 of the application form asks for your address....is this my UK address or where I'm staying in Thailand?

Thanks,

Johnson81

I wrote my Thai address in there , reason being that it may need to be the same address that is on my Thai proof of address documents , I also wrote my UK address in the notes "Anything else you need to tell us" sections on the back page of the application form

Just now, sanemax said:

I wrote my Thai address in there , reason being that it may need to be the same address that is on my Thai proof of address documents , I also wrote my UK address in the notes "Anything else you need to tell us" sections on the back page of the application form

Ok great, and it all went ok you got it back in decent time?

When photocopying in color should you do each passport page separately? Or is it ok to 2 passport pages per photocopy?

And sorry one last one, is it ok to use a thai doctor that knows you for the notoriety section (I've read some conflicting info about using a doctor). Or do you think its ok to leave section 10 blank if you're appearance hasn't changed much?

Thanks,

1 minute ago, Johnson81 said:

When photocopying in color should you do each passport page separately? Or is it ok to 2 passport pages per photocopy?

And sorry one last one, is it ok to use a thai doctor that knows you for the notoriety section (I've read some conflicting info about using a doctor). Or do you think its ok to leave section 10 blank if you're appearance hasn't changed much?

Thanks,

Two PP pages per copy (I think that I did)

The Lady at Tendy checks it all anyway when you hand it in .

Its OK to leave the notoriety section blank , if you still look the same , but it wouldnt hurt to get your doctor to sign it , just incase .

Make sure that the photo is exactly how they require it to be ,  

Sorry if this has been answered already but I don't have time to read through all 17 pages but how to get an appointment? I've googled the question obviously but the only results are the Gov website and various forums. 

Kind regards,

7 minutes ago, Benbkk26 said:

Sorry if this has been answered already but I don't have time to read through all 17 pages but how to get an appointment? I've googled the question obviously but the only results are the Gov website and various forums. 

Kind regards,

You email them....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Benbkk26 said:

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
8th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana
Bangkok
Thailand

Email: [email protected]

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2018 at 7:41 PM, Johnson81 said:

Thanks,

You can comfortably get 4 pages per side on A4 paper..

Damn, I've already spent the money doing the colour copies, but just 10 baht per color print was ok. If anyone lives in Phuket I can give the location, I thought that was quite cheap.

Quick question to everyone, my appearance hasn't changed much (lucky me) so I'm not going to filling in section 10 of the application form around a counter-signatory. Do I still need someone to sign the back of 1 of the passport photos, even if I'm leaving section 10 blank?

Or is it ok to send the 2 photos blank, as I look the same?

2 hours ago, Johnson81 said:

Damn, I've already spent the money doing the colour copies, but just 10 baht per color print was ok. If anyone lives in Phuket I can give the location, I thought that was quite cheap.

Quick question to everyone, my appearance hasn't changed much (lucky me) so I'm not going to filling in section 10 of the application form around a counter-signatory. Do I still need someone to sign the back of 1 of the passport photos, even if I'm leaving section 10 blank?

Or is it ok to send the 2 photos blank, as I look the same?

You don't need to have the photos signed, leave them blank.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I visited Trendy House last Monday morning (was in and out in 10 minutes). They've given me a DHl tracking number so fingers crossed it comes back soon.

Just a quick question, I'm currently on a visa exempt entry, will I have to transfer the visa exempt stamp onto my new passport before leaving the country?

9 minutes ago, Johnson81 said:

Update, I visited Trendy House last Monday morning (was in and out in 10 minutes). They've given me a DHl tracking number so fingers crossed it comes back soon.

Just a quick question, I'm currently on a visa exempt entry, will I have to transfer the visa exempt stamp onto my new passport before leaving the country?

No, just go to the border on departure from Thailand and take both old & new PP and also the letter Trendy house will give you and leave an extra 45 minutes to get the process done

• Thanks 1

I

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

No, just go to the border on departure from Thailand and take both old & new PP and also the letter Trendy house will give you and leave an extra 45 minutes to get the process done

Thanks, when you say border this also applies to an airport?

3 minutes ago, Johnson81 said:

I

Thanks, when you say border this also applies to an airport?

Yes .

Get there nice and early , when I did mine at a land border , they put me in the overstay etc queue to see the I.O. who deals with all issues of that nature , the whole process took about me 45 minutes

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Johnson81 said:

Wow, so I've just received can email from HMPO to say my new passport is ready to collect.....Just 10 days after visiting Trendy House last Monday.

Must be a record, super impressed.

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's generally a very efficient service.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's just the 2 enforced route marches to Bangkok (which have only been required since 2014) that are such a PITA for those living in the sticks.

Not an issue for those living in Bangkok, of course.

4 hours ago, sungod said:

Wouldnt call Rayong as living in the sticks ...:)

Maybe you don't, but those who lavish fulsome praise on here about speedy passport renewal turnaround times may be overlooking the fact that these are due entirely to the performance of HMPO's Liverpool office who process our applications back in the UK. Turnaround times would be at least equally impressive - if not even marginally more so - if we were able to post our applications and receive our replacement passports directly from them, as used to be the case up until 2014.

Also worth noting, I think, is the fact that our American cousins are still able to mail in passport renewal applications and receive their replacement passports without the need for 2 trips to Bangkok (even if they live in Rayong), just as we Brits were able to prior to 2014:-

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/passport-by-mail-service-adult-renew/

So whatever security concerns HMPO might have had back in 2014 as to justify the current procedures for us Brits are clearly not shared by the US State Department - who are, of course, no slouches when it comes to security considerations!

Edited by OJAS

• 2 months later...