How to start a 2014 Suzuki Swift

Help please. My neighbour's daughter left her car at the old lady's place while she's on holiday. The old lady asked me to move the car because she's spring cleaning out front.

I put the key in the ignition, all the normal lights come on, battery appears ok, but turning the key does nothing. I suspect it's a security feature, but don't know what it is.

Anyone advise please?

Thanks

Oh...and can you give me a "like" so I know that a reply has been posted....many thanks.

• Like 1

There's a bunch of stuff in other forums about the keyless entry system on these - is there a red or blue key symbol on the display? If it's red it means the car can't see the keyfob and it won't start, it has to be blue, apparently.

An orange light in a key symbol comes on when I first put the key in, but it goes out after about 5 seconds.

I believe the battery is fine as the bells and beeps (eg open door while key is still in) are very strong and clear.

Never mind guys....the old lady's given up on me and thinks I'm a useless idiot because I can't start a car that her daughter can start every day with no problems. LOL.

I hope to high heaven that it IS a flat battery so I can salvage a little bit of dignity, but I don't think so...it just doesn't turn at all, yet all the lights work fine.

• Like 1

"The only problem now is knowing how to start them.

Alas, it's not always obvious. There might be an ignition key, or there might not. There could be a button, or no button at all. You might just need to be in the car with the car lock and that, plus a quick squeeze of the accelerator, will be enough to engage the engine. Or, as in the case of the Suzuki Swift there might just be a little plastic stump where you'll try to insert a key. Here's a tip. Don't. You'd have more joy inserting a piece of your anatomy.

It turns out all you have to do is twist the stump, but it's a strange arrangement, neither one thing nor the other, a sort of design afterthought. What makes it stranger is that just about everything else about the Swift is so well put together."

That is from http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/mar/20/suzuki-swift-review

• Like 1

"The only problem now is knowing how to start them.

Alas, it's not always obvious. There might be an ignition key, or there might not. There could be a button, or no button at all. You might just need to be in the car with the car lock and that, plus a quick squeeze of the accelerator, will be enough to engage the engine. Or, as in the case of the Suzuki Swift there might just be a little plastic stump where you'll try to insert a key. Here's a tip. Don't. You'd have more joy inserting a piece of your anatomy.

It turns out all you have to do is twist the stump, but it's a strange arrangement, neither one thing nor the other, a sort of design afterthought. What makes it stranger is that just about everything else about the Swift is so well put together."

That is from http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/mar/20/suzuki-swift-review

The mind boggles as to whether that design afterthought is making the car more, or less idiot proof.

Sorry OP. laugh.png

Just crossed the Suzuki Swift off my wishlist of cars to buy. It sounds as unfriendly and anti-social as a car can get.

Why, just because you need to know how to start it? Not sure how that makes it unfriendly and anti-social. Maybe you need a car that has no security locking, but just a starter button.

Just a possibility............ Are there 2 keys on the key fob?

My swift is fitted with a brake peddle security lock that is unnoticeable from just sitting in the car. It works on a ratchet system and the handle is located in the foot-well beneath the steering column. It restricts the movement of the brake peddle and also the start turn on the ignition switch.

Just a thought.

There's a bunch of stuff in other forums about the keyless entry system on these - is there a red or blue key symbol on the display? If it's red it means the car can't see the keyfob and it won't start, it has to be blue, apparently.

An orange light in a key symbol comes on when I first put the key in, but it goes out after about 5 seconds.

I believe the battery is fine as the bells and beeps (eg open door while key is still in) are very strong and clear.

Maybe the question is did she leave the car key she uses ? or the spare key ?

Suzuki is not the only car that has the key itself programed into the Immobilizer [was the spare also been programmed into the the car ?] so your 1st post may well be correct it is a security issue.

I have owned a Suzuki and a Honda, both were the same as you say, only the master key was programmed into the cars. the 2nd key and in the case of the Honda with 3 keys, everything worked except would not start, only with the master key

I think you could be onto it.

Hope so, too, because that retains my reputation as a fairly smart farang.

From the OP:-

My neighbour's daughter left her car at the old lady's place while she's on holiday. The old lady asked me to move the car because she's spring cleaning out front.

Wouldn't the daughter have left the master key?

smile.png

being a 2014 model, would she have any idea that the 2 key did not start the car ?

Think it was over a year here before I had any idea that the 2nd and 3rd keys for the Honda did not start the engine. had never bothered to check. [had a Suzuki in the UK just the same, only driving to the showroom and asking did I know anything about programming the key for the Immobilizer]

biggrin.png wonder if anyone went out to there cars and checked the spare key ?

Edited by ignis
  • Like 2