NRC confident solar roof system will benefit Thais

webfact

NRC confident solar roof system will benefit Thais

PNICT580105001000201_05012015_100603.jpg

BANGKOK, 6 January 2015 (NNT) - The National Reform Council (NRC) committee on energy reform is confident that the newly-approved solar roof system will benefit the people and the nation as a whole, while looking to get a cabinet approval on the proposal within this month.

According to Dr. Thongchat Hongladaromp, chairman of energy reform committee, the solar roof top is a quick reform plan that adds a new dimension to the energy sector. If successful, Thailand would be able to generate, consume, and freely trade solar-generated power in the future.

In the meantime, speaking as chairman of the NRC subcommittee on renewable energy, Alongkorn Ponlaboot said Thailand would become a green and sustainable country as well as ASEAN’s leader in solar power in a decade. At this point, the project will be pioneered in schools, factories and state offices before being introduced in other sectors, he said, adding that the system will be installed in 500,000 households in the next 5 years, with a capacity of 5,000 megawatts per household. As for the next 20 years, Mr Alongkorn expects the capacity to reach 10,000 megawatts per household.

The move is believed to be vital in helping reduce Thailand’s consumption of electricity and stopping global warming.

According to him, the matter will be forwarded to the Cabinet within this month for an approval, after which the energy reform committee will issue an order to related agencies – the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA), the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), and the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) – to follow and adhere to the national energy policy plan.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-06 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

All they need to do it talk to the United States and see how much money has been wasted on this crap . They tried back in the 80's and now trying again.

Does the company Solindra ring a bell ? I think I misspelled it. Took the tax payers for 9 billion dollars.

• Like 2

Prayut disagrees with liberalization of rooftop solar cells installation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha disagrees with the proposal of the National Reform Council to allow solar cells to be independently installed on household rooftops, Deputy Government Spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

Prayut expressed his disagreement during the weekly Cabinet meeting, Sansern said. Sansern quoted Prayut as saying that it would impossible to liberalize the solar cells installation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prayut-disagrees-with-liberalization-of-rooftop-so-30251313.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-06

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha disagrees with the proposal of the National Reform Council to allow solar cells to be independently installed on household rooftops, Deputy Government Spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

Prayut expressed his disagreement during the weekly Cabinet meeting, Sansern said. Sansern quoted Prayut as saying that it would impossible to liberalize the solar cells installation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prayut-disagrees-with-liberalization-of-rooftop-so-30251313.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-01-06

Well that's that then case closed.

I think he's got his megawatts, kilowatts and watts mixed up.

1 watt (w)

1,000 w =1 Kilowatt (Kw)

1,000 KW=1 Megawatt (MW)

5,000MW=5,000,000,000w or 5million kilowatts. Suffice to say that's a bit too optimistic for the average household even for Thailand...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_power_stations_in_the_world#Top_20_largest_power_producing_facilities

Looks like our Mooban is gonna be outdoing the Three Gorges Dam if more than 4 people go for this!!! Yay

Yeahh, just pray to Buddha or whoever you believe in, that the Thais don't get any funny ideas about building their own nuclear power plants with blue PVC pipes and "Thai Stainless Steel" parts.

• Like 1

This is a good idea.

I am currently working in South Sudan were the street lights are run off solar power. The traffic lights are run off solar power and the rich folk have solar power on there roofs which run their 3 light bulbs and fan at night. Obviously this is all on a micro scale.

The system work well and once installed are essentially maintenance free and maintenance free in Thailand is critical to longevity.

Good luck in introducing this. I must concede that the chairman of the NRC subcommittee should leave the maths to the electrical engineers though!

• Like 1

How much energy will a 1kW solar panel produce each day? 5kW/h if you are very lucky

How much would that cost to buy from the mains? < B25

Will I save B25/day? Only if you use that energy as it is produced, or pay extra for storage batteries, which have a limited life. these are NOT the same as car batteries.

How long will it take for my solar installation to pay for itself? Get a quote, then divide by 25 less the amount that money would earn per day if invested (aka capital cost), less the cost of insurance for your solar system per day.

• Like 2

Somebody should inform the Dr that energy is measured in MW/hours. Citing the nameplate maximum output in MW without mentioning the capacity factor (<20%) of solar energy is highly misleading.

Actually, you are wrong. The capacity of energy generating equipment is rated in Watt (W, kW or MW as in this case). The output of this equipment over time, however, would be calculated in Wh, or KWh or MWh. I have never seen a power station rated in MWh.

So it's correct to say that my solar panels can generate 100kW, but one day energy production could only be 20kWh.

But the figure quoted is pure fantasy.

They'll make loans available for solar systems to their houses......regardless many homes in rural areas have a few lights, a couple of fans....and power outlets for charging phones....like they really need 5Kw systems!!

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2015-01-06

And I thought he wanted to bring happiness to the Thai people.

Bit short sighted is the least I can say about general happiness.

only 20-30 years too late ...

how come there is so much import tax on those cheap chinese pannels ?

how come no thai is producing it locally ?

how come there is no subsidy, not to go sell to the grid, but for home use, in the form of tax cuts, like they did for 1st car, 1st home ?

than the problem ... finding a qualified ELECTRICIAN to install the thing safely, knowing that in 99,99% houses, there is not 3rd line for power surcharge

only 20-30 years too late ...

how come there is so much import tax on those cheap chinese pannels ?

how come no thai is producing it locally ?

how come there is no subsidy, not to go sell to the grid, but for home use, in the form of tax cuts, like they did for 1st car, 1st home ?

than the problem ... finding a qualified ELECTRICIAN to install the thing safely, knowing that in 99,99% houses, there is not 3rd line for power surcharge

As far as I understand there is no import duty on everything that concerns solar energy.

There was a subsidy scheme under PT which failed miserably because of the way it was applied.

All they need to do it talk to the United States and see how much money has been wasted on this crap . They tried back in the 80's and now trying again.

Does the company Solindra ring a bell ? I think I misspelled it. Took the tax payers for 9 billion dollars.

9 billion dollars?? Where did you dream up that number? The loss was not even close to 9 billion dollars. Plus that department of energy loan program has now become successful with only a 2% default rate on 30 billion dollars in green energy loans. A 2% default rate on any type of loan is consider extremely low and successful so the money has not been wasted on what you consider to be crap. Also the solyndra story, by the way both your spelling and numbers were not right, is an old story that the republicans just hounded on to make Obama look bad. Because the loan program has become successful now you do not hear them saying anything about it anymore.

Edited by thomash
  • Like 2