England.

redrus

What about Capello :o

Capello keen on England position

Former Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello has said he would be interested in the England manager's job.

Steve McClaren was sacked after England's 3-2 defeat by Croatia cost them a place at the Euro 2008 finals.

And Capello, who has won league titles with Real, AC Milan and Roma, said: "It would be a beautiful challenge. I am the right age."

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill and former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho are the bookies' favourites for the job.

O'Neill was rejected by the FA after interviewing for the role before McClaren's appointment and may be reluctant to put himself in the frame again.

Mourinho, meanwhile, has been out of work since leaving Chelsea in September following a dispute with Blues owner Roman Abramovich.

The Portuguese has the credentials to be successful, after winning back-to-back Premier League titles with Chelsea a season after clinching the Champions League with Porto, but may prefer club management to the international arena.

o.gif

A close friend of the Portuguese told the BBC: "Jose is very sorry for the result and for what happened to Steve, a coach he always respected.

"For him, the absence of England is very bad for Euro 2008, and he is also unhappy for the absence of such good players. No more comment."

Capello is so far the only potential candidate to publicly declare an interest in coaching England.

The 61-year-old was sacked by Real at the end of last season despite winning the Spanish title and he is available as he is now working as a commentator for Italian television.

However, Capello might prove to be a controversial choice to succeed McClaren, as his many successes on the pitch have been marred by some unsavoury episodes.

He led Roma to the title in 2001 - their first major honour in a decade - but then became embroiled in a dispute with club captain Francesco Totti, was accused of moving on key players and ended his spell at Roma with the club in danger of relegation.

Capello then became Juventus boss and led them to league titles in 2005 and 2006, but the club was stripped of their trophies because of their involvement in a match-fixing scandal.

Following that, Capello resigned as Juventus manager and joined Real Madrid for a second spell - having first taken the reins in 1996 - where he again claimed the Spanish title in 2007. But the success did not stop Capello from being dismissed by the Spanish giants, who were unhappy with his defensive style of play.

Why not? He's got a great record in winning things and has a good knowledge of the continental game. Draw back, he's pretty defensive, but hey we need some solidity at the back. Last night, I have to admit when I saw the line up fpor the defence I knew we were gonna be shaky, but that was a forced hand. I hope that whoever they appoint, they do it properly and really spend some time on ensuring the right person.

The Special one is what we need though. C'mon Jose, you know the fans want you.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Capello :o

Capello keen on England position

Former Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello has said he would be interested in the England manager's job.

Steve McClaren was sacked after England's 3-2 defeat by Croatia cost them a place at the Euro 2008 finals.

And Capello, who has won league titles with Real, AC Milan and Roma, said: "It would be a beautiful challenge. I am the right age."

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill and former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho are the bookies' favourites for the job.

O'Neill was rejected by the FA after interviewing for the role before McClaren's appointment and may be reluctant to put himself in the frame again.

Mourinho, meanwhile, has been out of work since leaving Chelsea in September following a dispute with Blues owner Roman Abramovich.

The Portuguese has the credentials to be successful, after winning back-to-back Premier League titles with Chelsea a season after clinching the Champions League with Porto, but may prefer club management to the international arena.

o.gif

A close friend of the Portuguese told the BBC: "Jose is very sorry for the result and for what happened to Steve, a coach he always respected.

"For him, the absence of England is very bad for Euro 2008, and he is also unhappy for the absence of such good players. No more comment."

Capello is so far the only potential candidate to publicly declare an interest in coaching England.

The 61-year-old was sacked by Real at the end of last season despite winning the Spanish title and he is available as he is now working as a commentator for Italian television.

However, Capello might prove to be a controversial choice to succeed McClaren, as his many successes on the pitch have been marred by some unsavoury episodes.

He led Roma to the title in 2001 - their first major honour in a decade - but then became embroiled in a dispute with club captain Francesco Totti, was accused of moving on key players and ended his spell at Roma with the club in danger of relegation.

Capello then became Juventus boss and led them to league titles in 2005 and 2006, but the club was stripped of their trophies because of their involvement in a match-fixing scandal.

Following that, Capello resigned as Juventus manager and joined Real Madrid for a second spell - having first taken the reins in 1996 - where he again claimed the Spanish title in 2007. But the success did not stop Capello from being dismissed by the Spanish giants, who were unhappy with his defensive style of play.

Why not? He's got a great record in winning things and has a good knowledge of the continental game. Draw back, he's pretty defensive, but hey we need some solidity at the back. Last night, I have to admit when I saw the line up fpor the defence I knew we were gonna be shaky, but that was a forced hand. I hope that whoever they appoint, they do it properly and really spend some time on ensuring the right person.

The Special one is what we need though. C'mon Jose, you know the fans want you.

My views may be slightly biased on this one but I reckon if we had Jamie Carragher playing last night we wouldn't have got beat and the only reason Carragher ( who is fully fit , in good form and one of the most consistent defenders in the premiership ) retired from international football and thus unavailable for selection was because donkey McClown always overlooked him for the likes of Woodgate and Ledley King :D .

I don't think Jose will ever accept the England job toady , he is far to arrogant.

Shearer is still my choice ( though he needs help from more experienced guys ).

My views may be slightly biased on this one but I reckon if we had Jamie Carragher playing last night we wouldn't have got beat and the only reason Carragher ( who is fully fit , in good form and one of the most consistent defenders in the premiership ) retired from international football and thus unavailable for selection was because donkey McClown always overlooked him for the likes of Woodgate and Ledley King :o .

I don't think Jose will ever accept the England job toady , he is far to arrogant.

Yeah, I think we could have done with Carragher last night, but thanks to McClown that was a non starter.

I don't want Shearer, but I think he may get it, as he's a Mary Poppins like figure which the buffoons at Soho Square like. :D

Mourhinio is just the type of manager that those big time charlies need, as he will give them a right kick up the ass. The only problem is, he will upset too many of the G & T brigade, so it's unlikely.

It should be an interesting month or two.

Has Shearer got his coaching badges? If not, they couldn't pick him anyway, could they?

I think he has, or he was certainly doing them at some point whilst he was still at Newcastle. In respect of picking him, yes they could. The badges is only a restriction enforced by the EPL for club managers, so the FA could pretty much do what it wants on this one.

England - never been a good side since 1966 - even then, they only won it because it was in England.

Scotland looked a MUCH better team against World champions the other day and played with a passion unlike England. The team selection was terrible as was the squad selection. I honestly think I could choose a better team.

Hate to admit it but England not qualifying made my week.

England - never been a good side since 1966 - even then, they only won it because it was in England.

Scotland looked a MUCH better team against World champions the other day and played with a passion unlike England. The team selection was terrible as was the squad selection. I honestly think I could choose a better team.

Well at least we have won something once. Scotland's last 'trophy' was won in 1314 and that was because Robert de Bruce sabotaged the pitch :o and England's manager at the time was tactically naive, indecisive and used his bench poorly. :D

Well at least we have won something once. Scotland's last 'trophy' was won in 1314 and that was because Robert de Bruce sabotaged the pitch :o and England's manager at the time was tactically naive, indecisive and used his bench poorly. :D

The perfect reply. :D

The perfect reply. :D

:D

Yeah, i'm waiting in anticipation for the retort from our Scottish friends :D

Mr b , Chavy , markr not included :bah: .

It's suprising we only hear from these " England fans " when it comes to sla##ing us off :o .

Perhaps reflecting on past comments relating to the England team there are many " England fans " who like the F.A have been in denial when the signs were obvious.

This forum has a record of plenty of misguided observations unfortunately but the reality is the white shirt has been ridiculed by so called profesional players, along with Maclaren, Venables and all the heirachy.

Would anyone have listened with reason to non complementary observations without classing them as a troll / spoiler...

I think not, i,m bound to say, and observe in silence.

They deserve slagging off and shaming.

All who have stood back and kept out of the debates have known all along but for obvious reasons the eventual outcome of this farce.

There are many good hearted, honest debators who must be feeling much worse now it,s over.

Non of us deserve the let down, active commentators or otherwise.

marshbags :D

P.S.

Just glanced at the latest comments and the comaradirei is there for all to see. ( neva culd spel that wurd )

Nice one J.S. and M.J, i enjoy the banter when i read the Footie threads and know were you are all coming from :D

They deserve slagging off and shaming true, but if you are a real England football fan then you need to end on a good note and look to the future like a real football fan does .

Apart from the enforced removal of the manager and his No.2, who incidently walked out on England to take up a more lucrative post while he was manager and is of questionable character and ethics, there aren,t many other things to enable us to end on a good note.

Just slagging off is for idiots :D .

Why should we give the England set up an easy ride ?

It,s not counter productive to have a go and for ALL English supporters to show their discontent at this abysmal outcome.

If we keep quiet the F.A. think, oh well things cannot be to bad and the supporters are still behind us.

The true supporters of any sport have a right to voice their opinion, if it,s relevant and an honest / fair assessment.

How it becomes an unjust "slagging off " i do not know.

Constructive honesty comes to mind and this in turn enforces change and the benefit of not repeating what has happened in future and taking those responsible out of the comfort zone.

We witness this at club level every season and it is never seen as an unjust slagging off.

Idiots are people who are mentally deficient and irrational by the way.

Nowhere in this thread do i see any remarks relating to the England performance resemble those of an idiot.

This even includes your post that unjustly make the first reference to certain members who are not active who for reasons of their own, choose not to take part in debates, but then again your remarks were nothing to do with the England performance in the first place but it,s no big deal and for me non offensive.

Do you not think that by voicing all that is wrong with the England set up and the hierachy, it just maybe a positive thing and help to give the F.A. and upper football in general, a long overdue reality check ?

Let,s take them out of the comfort zone they are presently in and make them accountable to those who matter.

THE PAYING PUBLIC WHO STRUGGLE TO PAY FOR THE LUXURIOUS LIFESTYLES THAT GO THROUGH THE TURNSTYLES WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT ARE AT THE VERY LEAST ENTITLED TO THIS.

The mould wants breaking and a modern day version of how the game should be, and who it,s for, put in it,s place with new positive vision.

End of rant !!!!!

IMHO as a sports supporter, not only to football, but many other disciplines that we all enjoy when they are performed in the right spirit and love of taking part.

Look no further than the R.U. World Cup for a perfect example on how it should be " top to bottom "

Edited by marshbags

Mr b , Chavy , markr not included :bah: .

It's suprising we only hear from these " England fans " when it comes to sla##ing us off :o .

Perhaps reflecting on past comments relating to the England team there are many " England fans " who like the F.A have been in denial when the signs were obvious.

This forum has a record of plenty of misguided observations unfortunately but the reality is the white shirt has been ridiculed by so called profesional players, along with Maclaren, Venables and all the heirachy.

Would anyone have listened with reason to non complementary observations without classing them as a troll / spoiler...

I think not, i,m bound to say, and observe in silence.

They deserve slagging off and shaming.

All who have stood back and kept out of the debates have known all along but for obvious reasons the eventual outcome of this farce.

There are many good hearted, honest debators who must be feeling much worse now it,s over.

Non of us deserve the let down, active commentators or otherwise.

P.S.

Just glanced at the latest comments and the comaradirei is there for all to see. ( neva culd spel that wurd )

Nice one J.S. and M.J, i enjoy the banter when i read the Footie threads and know were you are all coming from :D

They deserve slagging off and shaming true, but if you are a real England football fan then you need to end on a good note and look to the future like a real football fan does .

Apart from the enforced removal of the manager and his No.2, who incidently walked out on England to take up a more lucrative post while he was manager and is of questionable character and ethics, there aren,t many other things to enable us to end on a good note.

Just slagging off is for idiots :D .

Why should we give the England set up an easy ride ?

It,s not counter productive to have a go and for ALL English supporters to show their discontent at this abysmal outcome.

If we keep quiet the F.A. think, oh well things cannot be to bad and the supporters are still behind us.

The true supporters of any sport have a right to voice their opinion, if it,s relevant and an honest / fair assessment.

How it becomes an unjust "slagging off " i do not know.

Constructive honesty comes to mind and this in turn enforces change and the benefit of not repeating what has happened in future and taking those responsible out of the comfort zone.

We witness this at club level every season and it is never seen as an unjust slagging off.

Idiots are people who are mentally deficient and irrational by the way.

Nowhere in this thread do i see any remarks relating to the England performance resemble those of an idiot.

This even includes your post that unjustly make the first reference to certain members who are not active who for reasons of their own, choose not to take part in debates, but then again your remarks were nothing to do with the England performance in the first place but it,s no big deal and for me non offensive.

Do you not think that by voicing all that is wrong with the England set up and the hierachy, it just maybe a positive thing and help to give the F.A. and upper football in general, a long overdue reality check ?

Let,s take them out of the comfort zone they are presently in and make them accountable to those who matter.

THE PAYING PUBLIC WHO STRUGGLE TO PAY FOR THE LUXURIOUS LIFESTYLES THAT GO THROUGH THE TURNSTYLES WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT ARE AT THE VERY LEAST ENTITLED TO THIS.

The mould wants breaking and a modern day version of how the game should be, and who it,s for, put in it,s place with new positive vision.

End of rant !!!!!

IMHO as a sports supporter, not only to football, but many other disciplines that we all enjoy when they are performed in the right spirit and love of taking part.

Look no further than the R.U. World Cup for a perfect example on how it should be " top to bottom "

MB, wouyldn't worry too much. There's nothing wrong with slagging of the England set up. It is getting all the flack it deserves, and I have to say I knew that something like this ws going to happen 18 months ago when they hastily appointed McClown in farcical circumstances. The old duffers who make these decisions and all the others who have been involved in some of the ludicrous blueprints etc over the past couple of years, i.e. Wilkinson need to be given a hard time. The players also deserve evrything they get, as I see very little passion from them when they play for their country. Steven Gerrard, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand - they all talk a great game, but their performance as senior members over the last year or so have been <deleted>.

I don't think that the R.U. campaign was particularly well runn from an administration point of view, but the players got on with it and produced results when they mattered, up until the final. I wish the same could be said of our football team.

Anyway, the more people posting in here, the better as far as I'm concerned, even if we have differing opinions.

Cheers, Mr T :bah:

If Gerrard played as well as he talked before England games we would never lose. Same can be said for Jon Terry and Rio Ferdinand. I'd wish they would put up or shut up.

In the end, McClaren is only as good as the payers perform, but some of his tactics last night were so <deleted> naive and foolish he deserves all the flack he's getting, and I hope some of the players get some as well. Time for them to knickle down and prove to the country that they are as good as they say they are, and that means showing class in International games, not against the likes of Wigan, Derby or Sunderland.

I actually like Gerard, and it will be interesting to see how he plays against Newcastle. If I was a betting man :o , I would say he will be a contender for man of the match. If I am right, it begs the question Why???

How come these guys cannot turn club form into England form. My personal opinion is that money has spoiled the game. There is now far more importance playing for your club than playing for England. I saw neither Lampard (pants anyway) or Gerard make a tackle in anger against Croatia. Just watch them on Saturday!!

If Gerrard played as well as he talked before England games we would never lose. Same can be said for Jon Terry and Rio Ferdinand. I'd wish they would put up or shut up.

In the end, McClaren is only as good as the payers perform, but some of his tactics last night were so <deleted> naive and foolish he deserves all the flack he's getting, and I hope some of the players get some as well. Time for them to knickle down and prove to the country that they are as good as they say they are, and that means showing class in International games, not against the likes of Wigan, Derby or Sunderland.

I actually like Gerard, and it will be interesting to see how he plays against Newcastle. If I was a betting man :D , I would say he will be a contender for man of the match. If I am right, it begs the question Why???

How come these guys cannot turn club form into England form. My personal opinion is that money has spoiled the game. There is now far more importance playing for your club than playing for England. I saw neither Lampard (pants anyway) or Gerard make a tackle in anger against Croatia. Just watch them on Saturday!!

and that's just the problem. Lot's of performances at club level, and then when the white shirt goes on......

It's like a midfield of John Barnes clones, if you get my drift. :o

Come on Brits, it is only a football game! This can and will happen to any team.

Just accept that other nations can play football too and you will be on top of it next time. And as a lover of English football, ever since that great

Manchester United team with players like Bobby Charlton, George Best, Denis Law, etc. etc., I wish you well indeed and I am pretty sure you will sort this one out.

Come on Brits, it is only a football game! This can and will happen to any team.

Oh no it isn't. It's much, much more than that. England not being in Euro means that nearly all of my excuses for going down to the pub next summer have gone. I have about 7 months to convince the Mrs that i have always loved Cricket, she just hasn't noticed it :o

I wish you well indeed and I am pretty sure you will sort this one out.

Danke schön :D

Just accept that other nations can play football too and you will be on top of it next time. And as a lover of English football, ever since that great

Manchester United team with players like Bobby Charlton, George Best, Denis Law, etc. etc., I wish you well indeed and I am pretty sure you will sort this one out.

Top Players All 3

but only 1 of them was English - Ashington (Beatrice Tce., I believe)

It,s just so sad to see all the potential and skill go to waste.

I,d like to think that any one of a number of managers in the football league would have been able to motivate and blend the players into a force to be reckoned with.

How all those players could play so crap in one game is beyond me and took football as a team sport to the likes of playing in a mine field instead of a playing field.

Because of the commercialism and politics relating to football and how it determines todays priorities, many football diehards including myself do not bother beyond personal club level.

It has a lot to answer for.

When a manager can fail and be sacked and walk away with 2.5 mil pounds, it,s obscene in my books.

Mac. said he and the players were gutted yet they all took the fees and whatever else they were rewarded with.

Rewarded that really is sick when they failed to achieve even getting beyond the Q. stages ??????

They should donate every penny to worthwhile charities as a way of showing genuine remorse for a starter.

Just watch them popping up all over the place when the comp. gets under way, talk about rubbing your nose in it.

The news headlines on the BBC ticker news flashes said just one thing about the harm the loss has caused.

The U.K. / F.A. lost an estimated 2 billion pounds in expected revenue.

Nothing about the heartbreak it has caused to the millions of fans ect.ect. ect.

That sums up the No. 1 priority of the F.A. who should now go by the initials of F.O. and resign en block accordingly. :D

IMHO as always and yes it,s only a game ( WETF invented that stupid saying doesn,t understand football )

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Taken from The Independent & The Independent on Sunday

23 November 2007 16:16 Home > Sport > Football > News

Sir Bobby Charlton:

O'Neill has natural authority that we need

Quote:-

It was bad news, every aspect of England's performance. It couldn't have been worse. But the truth is I wasn't that surprised. I woke up with a bad feeling and right down to the last minutes of the countdown I couldn't shake it.

I didn't like the noises coming out of the England camp and then when the BBC panel started their preview I waited for them to mention a single player from Croatia. I kept waiting – and thinking to myself, "Surely it cannot happen, surely we cannot again make the mistake of living in our own little world."

We did – and everyone in English football must face the consequences. The first priority now that time has run out on Steve McClaren is the appointment of a strong manager who can provide a short-term but vital solution to the crisis of confidence – and sheer basic football thinking – that was so evident at Wembley on Wednesday night.

Ideally, I would like him to be English, but the reality is that there is no outstanding candidate to supply the necessary strength.

This means that the Football Association should consider mending some fences and make a genuine overture to Martin O'Neill. I know he lacks international experience, but he has something about him that suggests to me that he would have a real chance of supplying something that has been plainly lacking in the England team for more years than it is comfortable to recall.

O'Neill has a touch of something shared by football men such as Ramsey, Stein, Busby and Shankly. He has an authority, a belief in himself that he seems able to transfer to players.

It is something that players such as Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard, who can be so dominant at club level, cried out for as they found themselves incapable of influencing one of the most important games England have ever played.

They need a tough guy on the touchline and in the dressing room. Someone who can take their doubts away. Make them relax.

Sven Goran Eriksson is winning now at Manchester City but, for me, this only emphasises the different demands of the club and international game. As an international manager you're not with your players all the time and so you don't get in the hearts and minds of them unless you are strong enough to take some of the responsibilities away from the players. Players like Gerrard and Lampard are OK with their clubs but when it comes to England they look so uneasy, so lacking in real confidence. They talk to the media – too much really – but what they say rarely seems to carry much conviction. Words can be idle if things aren't happening on the pitch.

All the great managers make it easy for their players. They take away doubts. They say, "This is the way we will play – just go out and do it."

There are huge issues to be dealt with in the long term if England are ever to be a significant force in world football – the influx of foreign players is a big problem that has to be addressed. Football is an international game, to a large degree dependent on international co-operation, so there should be a way of opening up more places in the world's richest and most popular league for native sons like Wayne Rooney to come through.

It would also be unfair not to acknowledge that without the likes of Rooney, Michael Owen, John Terry – especially Terry – and Rio Ferdinand, England lacked what otherwise might have been a certain swagger against Croatia. But there was a much deeper malaise beyond problems of available manpower.

The greatest problem was the way we played – it was bewildering in its naïvety.

One thing that screamed out to me was that we only needed to draw, but we never gave ourselves to time to ease into the pace of the game. What was the hurry?

The Croats settled into their performance so smoothly. They rolled the ball around – and then intelligently exploited the dreadful condition of the pitch.

The pitch was a goalkeeper's nightmare: the ball hits the deck and flies off at a hundred miles per hour. I used to love such conditions – and let fly at every opportunity. Two things you must not do. One is give your opponents a clear sight of the goal. Two is not to attempt to exploit the conditions yourself. England never had a shot at goal from outside the penalty area.

Based on my own experiences under Sir Alf Ramsey, I can only say that a team needs to have a certainty about what it is doing. It is the only way the fear of the unknown can be dealt with adequately.

However imposing the opposition, Ramsey was always emphatic that we had the means to win. Under Ramsey we never had one man up; when we had the ball we had three men up front. Jimmy Murphy, my great teacher at Manchester United, had made the point much earlier in my career.

"Remember," he used to say, "you've got to go up together and you've got to come back together. If you split up, if you let yourselves get stretched, you've given up the midfield – and that's the quickest way to lose your grip of a match."

It was hard on the midfielders, covering all that ground, but it was part of the job. You wouldn't have noticed against Croatia, however. As I said, I do accept that England missed certain important players, but then this is one of the hazards of football and if a team is properly set up, it shouldn't affect the way it plays.

The football of England has become aimless. It meanders from one game and one system to another, without any sense of progress – or lessons learnt. Always we are bombarded with talk of diamond formations, holding players and those who operate in the hole. It has to stop. England simply have to get back to the basics of good football. There is no great mystery to unravel. The "anonymous" players of Croatia proved that in a way we must never forget.

Unquote.

Ref url :-http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article3187053.ece

There are other related articles of quality listed on the right hand side by the way.

There is so much to agree with in this article as it pin points many of the problems while at the same time providing us with relevant answers.

Edited by marshbags

Taken from The Independent & The Independent on Sunday

23 November 2007 16:16 Home > Sport > Football > News

Sir Bobby Charlton:

O'Neill has natural authority that we need

Quote:-

It was bad news, every aspect of England's performance. It couldn't have been worse. But the truth is I wasn't that surprised. I woke up with a bad feeling and right down to the last minutes of the countdown I couldn't shake it.

I didn't like the noises coming out of the England camp and then when the BBC panel started their preview I waited for them to mention a single player from Croatia. I kept waiting – and thinking to myself, "Surely it cannot happen, surely we cannot again make the mistake of living in our own little world."

We did – and everyone in English football must face the consequences. The first priority now that time has run out on Steve McClaren is the appointment of a strong manager who can provide a short-term but vital solution to the crisis of confidence – and sheer basic football thinking – that was so evident at Wembley on Wednesday night.

Ideally, I would like him to be English, but the reality is that there is no outstanding candidate to supply the necessary strength.

This means that the Football Association should consider mending some fences and make a genuine overture to Martin O'Neill. I know he lacks international experience, but he has something about him that suggests to me that he would have a real chance of supplying something that has been plainly lacking in the England team for more years than it is comfortable to recall.

O'Neill has a touch of something shared by football men such as Ramsey, Stein, Busby and Shankly. He has an authority, a belief in himself that he seems able to transfer to players.

It is something that players such as Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard, who can be so dominant at club level, cried out for as they found themselves incapable of influencing one of the most important games England have ever played.

They need a tough guy on the touchline and in the dressing room. Someone who can take their doubts away. Make them relax.

Sven Goran Eriksson is winning now at Manchester City but, for me, this only emphasises the different demands of the club and international game. As an international manager you're not with your players all the time and so you don't get in the hearts and minds of them unless you are strong enough to take some of the responsibilities away from the players. Players like Gerrard and Lampard are OK with their clubs but when it comes to England they look so uneasy, so lacking in real confidence. They talk to the media – too much really – but what they say rarely seems to carry much conviction. Words can be idle if things aren't happening on the pitch.

All the great managers make it easy for their players. They take away doubts. They say, "This is the way we will play – just go out and do it."

There are huge issues to be dealt with in the long term if England are ever to be a significant force in world football – the influx of foreign players is a big problem that has to be addressed. Football is an international game, to a large degree dependent on international co-operation, so there should be a way of opening up more places in the world's richest and most popular league for native sons like Wayne Rooney to come through.

It would also be unfair not to acknowledge that without the likes of Rooney, Michael Owen, John Terry – especially Terry – and Rio Ferdinand, England lacked what otherwise might have been a certain swagger against Croatia. But there was a much deeper malaise beyond problems of available manpower.

The greatest problem was the way we played – it was bewildering in its naïvety.

One thing that screamed out to me was that we only needed to draw, but we never gave ourselves to time to ease into the pace of the game. What was the hurry?

The Croats settled into their performance so smoothly. They rolled the ball around – and then intelligently exploited the dreadful condition of the pitch.

The pitch was a goalkeeper's nightmare: the ball hits the deck and flies off at a hundred miles per hour. I used to love such conditions – and let fly at every opportunity. Two things you must not do. One is give your opponents a clear sight of the goal. Two is not to attempt to exploit the conditions yourself. England never had a shot at goal from outside the penalty area.

Based on my own experiences under Sir Alf Ramsey, I can only say that a team needs to have a certainty about what it is doing. It is the only way the fear of the unknown can be dealt with adequately.

However imposing the opposition, Ramsey was always emphatic that we had the means to win. Under Ramsey we never had one man up; when we had the ball we had three men up front. Jimmy Murphy, my great teacher at Manchester United, had made the point much earlier in my career.

"Remember," he used to say, "you've got to go up together and you've got to come back together. If you split up, if you let yourselves get stretched, you've given up the midfield – and that's the quickest way to lose your grip of a match."

It was hard on the midfielders, covering all that ground, but it was part of the job. You wouldn't have noticed against Croatia, however. As I said, I do accept that England missed certain important players, but then this is one of the hazards of football and if a team is properly set up, it shouldn't affect the way it plays.

The football of England has become aimless. It meanders from one game and one system to another, without any sense of progress – or lessons learnt. Always we are bombarded with talk of diamond formations, holding players and those who operate in the hole. It has to stop. England simply have to get back to the basics of good football. There is no great mystery to unravel. The "anonymous" players of Croatia proved that in a way we must never forget.

Unquote.

Ref url :-http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article3187053.ece

There are other related articles of quality listed on the right hand side by the way.

There is so much to agree with in this article as it pin points many of the problems while at the same time providing us with relevant answers.

They are a disgrace. Don't even understand how poor their performance has been. Their pay should reflect how they have performed.... might get the response 'did I not perform well?'

They are a disgrace. Don't even understand how poor their performance has been. Their pay should reflect how they have performed.... might get the response 'did I not perform well?'

Absolutely. In my job i do a PPR for the people who work for me and my boss does one for me. Over perform = extra money, under perform = a good talking too and somtimes leading to dismissal.

Well, another blow. From the BBC:-

England suffer 2010 seedings blow

England will not be among the top seeds in the 2010 World Cup qualifying draw after their failure to reach Euro 2008.

The defeat against Croatia has seen them drop to 12th place - and they have now been leap-frogged by Greece.

This means they are not in the top nine European countries in the draw when it is made in Durban on Sunday.

They are now in the group of second seeds and could possibly face Italy, France or Germany in a potentially hazardous qualifying group.

Scotland have dropped one place to 14th, meaning they will also be among the group of second seeds.

Argentina continue as the top-ranked country despite their 2-1 defeat by Colombia, but Brazil and Italy have closed the gap.

Spain have risen two places to fourth in the world and the Czech Republic three places to sixth.

Northern Ireland are up four placed to 32nd, while the Republic of Ireland drop three places to 35th which means both will be in the third pot of seeds.

Wales stay in 58th place, placing them in the fourth set of seeds for Sunday's World Cup draw alongside the likes of Hungary, Belarus and Cyprus.

Big movers include South Africa up 25 places to 77th and Belarus, whose 2-1 win over Holland in midweek sees them rise 34 places to 60th.

The Europeans face a different qualifying format than at previous World Cups, with 53 teams split into nine groups, eight of six teams and one of five.

The nine group winners will automatically qualify with the best eight runners up playing off for the last four tickets to South Africa.

The nine seeded teams are expected to be Italy, Spain, Germany, Czech Republic, France, Portugal, the Netherlands, Croatia and Greece.

Uefa president Michel Platini welcomed the changes: "It's a good compromise solution, because I wasn't really happy with the format for the last qualifying competition with groups of seven and eight teams," he said.

I actually like Gerard, and it will be interesting to see how he plays against Newcastle. If I was a betting man :D , I would say he will be a contender for man of the match. If I am right, it begs the question Why???

I did post something similar on my thoughts as to why on the Liverpool thread :o

I've been thinking about the motivational aspect of pulling on an England shirt if your the likes of Gerrard , Lampard , Rooney, Joe and Ashely Cole , Ferdinand , Terry and the rest of them. While they are playing for their respective clubs they are adored every week by their fans and are used to winning major trophies and playing at the top level against the best players in the world :D .

Now compare that to when they play for England , playing needless friendlies , the fans booing you , the media slating you , playing with players from your rivals , the threat of getting injured and the rest of it :D .

It's no wonder sometimes that you see players putting in uncharacteristic performances for England. All the players always say the right thing in front of the cameras though but then again they haven't really got much choice have they .

To finish , none of the current England squad were even born the last ( and only ) time we won something so you can understand to some extent why their performances differ sometimes for club and country

why do you even bother mate :o

From skysports:-

Coppell hails Eriksson

Royals boss heaps praise on McClaren's predecessor

Reading manager Steve Coppell believes England's Euro 2008 qualifying failure showcases the job Sven-Goran Eriksson did for the country.

The Swede guided the Three Lions to World Cup qualification in 2002 despite accepting the job midway through the campaign, while he also ensured England played in Euro 2004 and the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany.

However, while Eriksson was often criticised for a lack of passion on the sidelines, Coppell thinks his credentials speak for themselves.

"Sven has shown what a terrific manager he is," stated Coppell. "It is ironic at this particular moment in time after his history within the English game.

"If he had not already been England manager he would have been the perfect candidate. He has all the credentials you are looking for. He has performed at European level to the highest level and still has a real appetite for the game.

"Just because he doesn't jump up and down on the touchline doesn't mean he has no passion. His team shows his passion. He doesn't have to do anything on the touchline and that's a sign of good management."

Coppell does not believe Steve McClaren should shoulder full responsibility for England's failure to qualify for Austria and Switzerland next summer, as he did not have enough talent at his disposal.

Rather than nurture and develop home-grown talent, Coppell believes the temptation for Premier League clubs to seek out cheaper and more technically gifted players is too strong to resist.

"We are not producing the players that we should be," he continued. "We don't have enough players in depth because there are not enough avenues for young players to learn and develop their trade.

"It is too easy in the cash-cow that is the Premiership to say 'we will get the finished article in from abroad who we know is technically gifted'."

Leaving aside McClaren's shortcomings and faulty decision making, I wonder if all those who talk glibly about success starting with getting the right coach for the next World Cup campaign - the man who will bring astute tactical know-how etc - are overlooking some of the practical realities.

Where, for example, is there a goalkeeper that can provide stability at the back? Will it be back to Robinson and James? Or does Carson another chance?

All of them have shown themselves to be vulnerable, and I'm not aware of anyone of the calibre of a van der Sar, Cech, Friedel, Almunia or even Lehman waiting in the wings.

Getting a coach with tactical nous and good management skills will be important but it seems to me that all his skills won't count for much if there isn't a safe pair of hands between the sticks.

Leaving aside McClaren's shortcomings and faulty decision making, I wonder if all those who talk glibly about success starting with getting the right coach for the next World Cup campaign - the man who will bring astute tactical know-how etc - are overlooking some of the practical realities.

Where, for example, is there a goalkeeper that can provide stability at the back? Will it be back to Robinson and James? Or does Carson another chance?

All of them have shown themselves to be vulnerable, and I'm not aware of anyone of the calibre of a van der Sar, Cech, Friedel, Almunia or even Lehman waiting in the wings.

Getting a coach with tactical nous and good management skills will be important but it seems to me that all his skills won't count for much if there isn't a safe pair of hands between the sticks.

Step forward Robert Green. :o

Whoever gets the England job they have got a long wait until their first competitive game , September 2008 , that is a long wait :o .

Anyway , Martin Oneil has ruled himself out :

O'Neill not interested in England

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill says he is committed to the club and is not interested in the vacant England coach's position.

The Northern Irishman, 55, who was interviewed for the job last year, is among the favourites to take over following Steve McClaren's dismissal.

O'Neill told BBC Radio 5 Live: "My name might not even be put forward and I am uncomfortable talking about it.

"But I have got a commitment to this club and I want to see it through."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/p...m=1&bbram=1

McClaren was sacked after England were beaten 3-2 by Croatia at Wembley on Wednesday and so failed to qualify for next summer's Euro 2008 finals.

o.gif

The Football Association's chief executive Brian Barwick has begun his search for a replacement but O'Neill does not expect to be approached again.

The former Leicester and Celtic boss added: "I can understand why my name has been mentioned because my name was in the interview process 18 months ago.

"But I didn't do well there, so what's going to be any different this time? As far as I'm concerned nothing will change.

"I'm sure the FA will be searching far and wide for someone to take them forward. They will have loads and loads of people interested in the job I am absolutely sure of it.

"It is a fantastic job to do, there is no question of that, but I am committed to Aston Villa."

Of the other contenders, BBC Sport understands that Jose Mourinho is not interested in the job.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce and West Ham's Alan Curbishley have ruled themselves out, Mark Hughes signed a new contract with Blackburn on Friday, and Marcello Lippi has distanced himself from the role.

Ex-Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello says he is interested and has emerged as the clear bookmakers' favourite, while Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has not ruled himself out.

England's next scheduled match is a friendly against France in Paris on 26 March, although there is a date available in February to arrange another fixture if required. The next competitive match will be the opening encounter of the 2010 World Cup campaign in September, with the draw for the qualifying groups taking place on Sunday.