Racist Bangkok taxi driver doesn't accept Japanese passengers

webfact

Racist taxi driver doesn't accept Japanese passengers
By Coconuts Bangkok

taxis.jpg
Photo: Drama Addict

BANGKOK: -- After a Japanese man was featured in every media outlet for calling the taxi queue at Suvarnabhumi Airport "the disgrace of Thailand," one Bangkok driver is protesting by openly discriminating against an entire nation.

"Cessation of the Japanese passenger," reads the message written in English, Thai and Japanese, though in Thai it’s closer to “Not accepting Japanese passengers.”

Either way, it’s clear Japanese nationals are not welcome in his car.

The message is signed "From the Thai Taxi Driver Community for Suvarnabhumi Airport." [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/21/racist-taxi-driver-doesnt-accept-japanese-passengers

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-21

Taxi Association Condemns 'No Japanese Passengers' Sign
By Khaosod English

14218190981421819134l.jpg
A photo widely shared on social media this morning shows a sign posted on a taxi window that says in English, Japanese, and Thai: "No picking up of Japanese passengers."

BANGKOK — A taxi association at Bangkok's international airport has condemned a cabbie who is reportedly refusing to take Japanese passengers, one day after a Japanese man made headlines with his rant against a driver who refused to turn on his meter at the airport.

A photo (below) widely shared on social media this morning shows a sign posted on a taxi window in English, Japanese, and Thai. The Thai text reads: "No picking up of Japanese passengers."

The notice ends with the text, "From: Association of Suvarnabhumi Airport's Taxi Drivers."

The photo surfaced a day after airport authorities fined a taxi driver 1,000 baht and banned him from picking up passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport for trying to overcharge a Japanese man. The punishment was carried out after the Japanese man's harsh rebuke of the cab driver, who reportedly demanded a flat-rate of 700 baht for a ride to Bangkok's Saphan Kwai district, went viral on social media.

However, Sadit Jaitiang, director of Association of Suvarnabhumi Airport's Taxi Drivers, told Khaosod in a phone interview that he had nothing to do with the notice, and only found out about the sign from social media today.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1421819098

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-21

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A not surprising reaction on an entire race because of the opinion of one individual. What a big baby. Thainess in full glory.

And lack of any recognition by the Suv. Taxi 'club' that the taxi driver tried to rip off the Japanese passenger.

A more sensible reaction by the Suv. Taxi 'club' would be to disown the cheating taxi driver and claim that the rest don't cheat.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but is there not or was there a Japanese only Soi next to PatPong? caters to thai ladies for Japanese only. If anyone else goes there they will not serve you.

Haha, true that. But its apples and oranges I think. Soi Thaniya is not exactly a "public service" sector, although it may seem like it!

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but is there not or was there a Japanese only Soi next to PatPong? caters to thai ladies for Japanese only. If anyone else goes there they will not serve you.

It is there and Soi Thaniya is the best way for a caucasian to cut between Surawongse and Silom...no one speaks, hassles, tries to sell, just a nice stroll.

As for the cab driver, it's 15 minutes of infamy and he'll be back picking up Japanese passengers

possibly worse than that was a guest house in India with a sign outside which said Indian guests not welcome

Everyone has a right to refuse service.
I've seen worse. Anti Israel sign on Phi Phi island saying "Israeli not welcome at this hotel".
Another bar in Phuket has "No Africa man allowed"

Unfortunately, I believe the headline might have said "Xenophobic taxi driver doesn't accept Japanese passengers"

Aren't Japanese the same race as Chinese and Thais and others of Asiatic origin?

Racism is a social construct. As an anthropological construct, race doesn't even really exist. So yes Thais can be racist against Japanese, and more commonly Burmese and Cambodians.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1