Tottenham Thread

chonabot

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Well that was entertaining considering the conditions.

Considering your next 3 EPL matches, that was a must win really. It's made our match tomorrow a very important one to win.

Agreed mate, we were poor.  Conditions didn't help but thats no excuse.  As you say, with the run of games coming up that really was a must win, so very disappointing.  Obviously our ever increasing list of absentees doesn't help but again, no excuses.

I just can't understand why he selects Sissoko.  He doesn't even appear to be a footballer, its like playing with ten men!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carmine said:

Agreed mate, we were poor.  Conditions didn't help but thats no excuse.  As you say, with the run of games coming up that really was a must win, so very disappointing.  Obviously our ever increasing list of absentees doesn't help but again, no excuses.

I just can't understand why he selects Sissoko.  He doesn't even appear to be a footballer, its like playing with ten men!!!!

Wanyama isn't fit....and perhaps he is sending a message to Levy.

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Wanyama isn't fit....and perhaps he is sending a message to Levy.

Dier is nowhere near the standard of Wanyama.  But if he's fit for the bench he's fit to play.

At the end of the day we were flat, predictable and looking hungover.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

I think Sissoko is awful when I watch Spurs, and the next time I watch Spurs Sissoko is even worse. The poor lad just doesn't have it in him.

11 minutes ago, carmine said:

Dier is nowhere near the standard of Wanyama.  But if he's fit for the bench he's fit to play.

At the end of the day we were flat, predictable and looking hungover.

Not having Eriksen didn't help.

1 minute ago, jellydog said:

Not having Eriksen didn't help.

Regardless, we have enough firepower and with Dembele playing the role of regista, a very decent playmaker despite Eriksen's absence.  Why he starts Sissoko over Lamela is completely beyond me.  

Sissoko is absolutely useless.

In summary it just wasn't our night.

18 minutes ago, carmine said:

Regardless, we have enough firepower and with Dembele playing the role of regista, a very decent playmaker despite Eriksen's absence.  Why he starts Sissoko over Lamela is completely beyond me.  

Sissoko is absolutely useless.

In summary it just wasn't our night.

Too many of those this season already.

2 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Alli is having a poor season in my view.

I think that's the view of every Tottenham fan as well R.P

Considering it's World Cup year, i would have thought that reason alone 

he would have raised his game by now.

29 minutes ago, carmine said:

Wanyama is on the bench to enable him to get some game time to reach match fitness.

Poch is easing him in to the team without risking any other injuries from lack of playing 

for so long.

Same goes for lamela, that's why Sissoko plays.

Hopefully they'll both be fully match fit for our Feb encounters.

6 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Too many of those this season already.

FWIW I still think Spurs just don't get behind the defense often enough. That leaves them constantly having to work the ball into the net from midfield or corners to Kane. It looks like Son is really the only threat on the wings with pace and guile to get behind the defense. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that weakness accounts for the big scoring games followed by the struggles.

18 minutes ago, jellydog said:

FWIW I still think Spurs just don't get behind the defense often enough. That leaves them constantly having to work the ball into the net from midfield or corners to Kane. It looks like Son is really the only threat on the wings with pace and guile to get behind the defense. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that weakness accounts for the big scoring games followed by the struggles.

Agree with you there as we don't seem to effectively use the full width of the pitch.

We could use someone with pace who can also cross a ball.

An Aaron Lennon who can actually deliver the ball as you can see what Kane makes of those opportunities last night.

22 minutes ago, sotsira said:

I think that's the view of every Tottenham fan as well R.P

Considering it's World Cup year, i would have thought that reason alone 

he would have raised his game by now.

Wanyama is on the bench to enable him to get some game time to reach match fitness.

Poch is easing him in to the team without risking any other injuries from lack of playing 

for so long.

Same goes for lamela, that's why Sissoko plays.

Hopefully they'll both be fully match fit for our Feb encounters.

What really annoyed me was the decision to take off Son instead of Sissoko.  Surely Sissoko had already done enough to be removed?  An under par Son is better than any performance for us that i've ever seen from Sissoko.

I understand why wanyama is still on the bench, was just stating he's far better than Dier.

Since Alderweirald's injury we've gone from averaging 2.28 points a game to 1.55   :ph34r:

Good job he's back in a couple of weeks.......probably for the Liverpool fixture, where he'll be needed!

Edited by carmine

Great news,  Alderweirald announced he's fully fit so i presume he'll get half an hour this weekend, possibly same against United then start at Anfield.  Fingers crossed.

We also need to have Wanyama starting against those two, we haven't been able to start our best defensive line up all season and with this pivotal month coming up now would be the time.

• Like 1

This Lucas Moura business is starting to look a little interesting.  Whilst i doubt we will actually buy anyone theres clear signs that Poch wants a quality winger to help breakdown the growing bus parkers and has thus far failed to find one in Njie and Nkoudou.  Lucas is the right age too and looking a realistic price for Levy to work on.

Said to myself take no notice of the january window but this one seems to be gaining momentum rather than fizzling away.

12 minutes ago, carmine said:

This Lucas Moura business is starting to look a little interesting.  Whilst i doubt we will actually buy anyone theres clear signs that Poch wants a quality winger to help breakdown the growing bus parkers and has thus far failed to find one in Njie and Nkoudou.  Lucas is the right age too and looking a realistic price for Levy to work on.

Said to myself take no notice of the january window but this one seems to be gaining momentum rather than fizzling away.

With all of our competitors strengthening I guess Levy has to try something and tbe reports seem to place a fee within reach.

Interesting but I still don't believe it.

8 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

With all of our competitors strengthening I guess Levy has to try something and tbe reports seem to place a fee within reach.

Interesting but I still don't believe it.

Yes if you are looking at a fee of 25m which is built up on add ons for a 25yo its feasable to do.  He is a proven player at CL and int'l level.  Makes sense.

9 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes if you are looking at a fee of 25m which is built up on add ons for a 25yo its feasable to do.  He is a proven player at CL and int'l level.  Makes sense.

I best add that that figure was from Wiki. It might not be up to date.

9 minutes ago, carmine said:

That move makes sense. I checked and Moura has only made five appearances in league play for PSG this season.

Edited by jellydog

On 26/01/2018 at 10:15 AM, jellydog said:

That move makes sense. I checked and Moura has only made five appearances in league play for PSG this season.

Last season he scored 19 goals and made 11 assists, pretty impressive for a right sided midfielder/

playmaker.

If we do get him then it'll be curtains for Sissoko and a ??????? for Lamela.

19 minutes ago, sotsira said:

Last season he scored 19 goals and made 11 assists, pretty impressive for a right sided midfielder/

playmaker.

If we do get him then it'll be curtains for Sissoko and a ??????? for Lamela.

Why Lamela?  i think he's an important member of the squad and since he's returned from injury has performed well.  Presses well, creative, tackles, he just needs increased game time.

Sissoko isn't even a footballer imho.......

30 minutes ago, sotsira said:

The Lucas Moura speculation is continuing even more today, looks like 

it could well happen if these 2 articles below have anything to go by.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/11222252/lucas-moura-believes-tottenham-could-be-right-move-from-psg

http://sportslens.com/contract-agreed-how-spurs-will-line-up-with-moura/224029/

This really would be a bit of a coup!

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

Why Lamela?  i think he's an important member of the squad and since he's returned from injury has performed well.  Presses well, creative, tackles, he just needs increased game time.

Sissoko isn't even a footballer imho.......

Lamela has been out with injuries more than he's been available during his time at Spurs.

My question is when will he have a good season with us?

This is his 5th season (joined us same time as Eriksen)

Eriksen in EPL = 37 Goals & 44 Assists 157 Apps

Lamela in EPL = 8   Goals & 20 Assists    96 Apps

I know if he's fully fit he can be a great player, but he needs injury free game time,

will he get that if we sign Moura and have Dele, Eriksen and Son ahead of him in the

pecking order.

I just don't see where he can fit in to become a regular first teamer.

3 out of the 5 seasons so far that he's had have been right offs.

3 minutes ago, sotsira said:

Lamela has been out with injuries more than he's been available during his time at Spurs.

My question is when will he have a good season with us?

This is his 5th season (joined us same time as Eriksen)

Eriksen in EPL = 37 Goals & 44 Assists 157 Apps

Lamela in EPL = 8   Goals & 20 Assists    96 Apps

I know if he's fully fit he can be a great player, but he needs injury free game time,

will he get that if we sign Moura and have Dele, Eriksen and Son ahead of him in the

pecking order.

I just don't see where he can fit in to become a regular first teamer.

3 out of the 5 seasons so far that he's had have been right offs.

I don't disagree with most of that but i do think it rests on the performances during the remainder of the season and he could end up a very good squad player.  Basically, Sissoko needs to go, possibly N'Koudou too.

Well we really were poor last night.  Just read a very good piece that sums it up and naturally none too complimentary.

First half dismal, no shots on target despite 64% possession.  Total lack of creativity.  

Son made an immediate impact starting the second half but what this game really showed was how much we need the likes of a Lucas Moura to increase our attacking options.  Without Eriksen again last night we don't tick anymore.  Pochettino has too few options off the bench which chronically limits his ability to game manage.  And all this going into an incredibly tough february.  I hope he's deliberately saving Eriksen.

So, next up Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Juve........make of that what you will!!!

After such a dismal night i might aswell highlight a positive and that would be our 19yo center back Juan Foyth.  This lad is going to be a top drawer player.  Still slightly rough around the edges as would befit a teenager but no real weaknesses.  I haven't seen better in the league around his age.  The big hope would be he and Carter-Vickers fulfilling their potential although atm Foyth looks the better player with CCV needing to toughen up a bit and still looking a little shaky in possession.

What more can be said of Sissoko................i hope he's never seen in a Spurs shirt again.