Shore diving in Thailand?

AlexDorneles

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any decent shore diving in Thailand. I used to dive in Florida off the beach, it was a long swim but I didn't need a boat and I used to get almost 2 hours bottom time at 20ft deep with a big high pressure steel tank. It was great because I could dive on my own and didn't care about anyone's schedule.

Any recommendations?

Beach dives on phuket are ok but it cant be compare to divesite like Shark Point, Phi Phi or even Kho Racha.
We use Aluminium tank here. So you ll have to adjust your weigh.
However, I m not sure if any diveshop will let you dive for 2 hours.(they usualy give 1 hour max time)
The best would be to rent your own equipment/tank and find a buddy ;)

Beach dives on phuket are ok but it cant be compare to divesite like Shark Point, Phi Phi or even Kho Racha.

We use Aluminium tank here. So you ll have to adjust your weigh.

However, I m not sure if any diveshop will let you dive for 2 hours.(they usualy give 1 hour max time)

The best would be to rent your own equipment/tank and find a buddy wink.png

I would say the shorediving at quite a few sites is much, much more interesting than the west side of Racha Yai.

The maximum divetime is based on the boat schedules as well, but if the OP just wants to dive independently he can rent a tank (and other gear if required) and dive as long as he wants. Even 16 liter steel would be available for a 4-hour dive :)

The maximum divetime is based on the boat schedules as well, but if the OP just wants to dive independently he can rent a tank (and other gear if required) and dive as long as he wants. Even 16 liter steel would be available for a 4-hour dive smile.png

Yep that what I mean.

However, It s not recommanded to dive alone...especially on Phuket Beaches, some dangerous things can happen : Box jellyfish ( saw one in front of me on Ao sane beach, very hard to spot as they are almost transparent) Or Rip current.

Rent your gear, go down to rawai beach rent a longtail. Dive any of the close places for less than 3000 baht. Problem solved

Then it s not a shore dive anymore...

+ a beach dive with gear, tanks , weight (and instructor) cost only 1200thb.

Edited by Vermor

Rent your gear, go down to rawai beach rent a longtail. Dive any of the close places for less than 3000 baht. Problem solved

Then it s not a shore dive anymore...

+ a beach dive with gear, tanks , weight (and instructor) cost only 1200thb.

Depends on where the longtail goes. Paradise Beach has a wonderful reef. And unless you want to do a long haul with your gear, you get a longtail to take you there. Done that a few times.

Paradise beach is the place where they make the Instructor Exams. (IDC) once a month.
Nui beach is interesting as well ( not Yanui, close to Phromtep). However, It look hard to get there, last time was with a longtail. But visibility was great and some ineresting things outhere too.
However, when we arrived there, the "owner" was telling us that it s forbidden to dive because "protected area"...we tried to explain that we dont want to destroy it...

Many people to beach dives at paradise, instructors and fun divers alike

Yes, divecompanies that are not welcome on boats because of unpaid invoices and people staying in that area who don't have time to do proper diving or who are sold a dive there by unscrupulous divecompanies. Or in low season of course when those companies don't have an alternative since they're not welcome on boats anymore.

There are simply much better alternatives in both shore diving and boat diving.

Edit: yes, IE's are there because diving there can year round and they save the money and time of a boat trip.

Edited by PhuketdashScuba
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Koh Lipe would be the top spot..

Kurt

When I was there a couple of years ago no DC wanted to support that and not renting out tanks as well, to force you to take the more expensive boat dives.

But that might has changed.....

Kurt

When I was there a couple of years ago no DC wanted to support that and not renting out tanks as well, to force you to take the more expensive boat dives.

I tried twice to rent tanks to do shore dives and had no luck, once in Koh Tao (ended up paying 5400 for two dives with my girlfriend, ouch...) and once in Trang, when I wanted to do shallow dives around Koh Lao Liang. Actually in Trang it seemed I could talk them into renting but I couldn't make it to the shop and back in time to catch the boat.

I've thought of just buying a couple tanks and be done with it but then I will have to wonder if I can get a place to refill them, plus the hassle of lugging the things around.

As for the shore diving, the one at Koh Tao was OK, went to the Three Rocks site (I think that's the name), and it was nice to have it all for ourselves. Or at least it was nice and relaxing until I noticed my strobe fizzling like an Alka Seltzer, had to thumb the dive 40 minutes in and swim back to the beach with an eye out for incoming boat traffic.

Besides that I've seen people doing shore dives at Similan island No.4, the one with bungalows. There's a small rocky peninsula right next to the beach with a very nice reef around it, there seems to be another divesite on the opposite beach, but you'll have to trek several hundred meters through the jungle with the gear to get there (didn't seem to deter a Russian couple I met there)

Kurt

I tried twice to rent tanks to do shore dives and had no luck, once in Koh Tao (ended up paying 5400 for two dives with my girlfriend, ouch...) and once in Trang, when I wanted to do shallow dives around Koh Lao Liang. Actually in Trang it seemed I could talk them into renting but I couldn't make it to the shop and back in time to catch the boat.

I've thought of just buying a couple tanks and be done with it but then I will have to wonder if I can get a place to refill them, plus the hassle of lugging the things around.

As for the shore diving, the one at Koh Tao was OK, went to the Three Rocks site (I think that's the name), and it was nice to have it all for ourselves. Or at least it was nice and relaxing until I noticed my strobe fizzling like an Alka Seltzer, had to thumb the dive 40 minutes in and swim back to the beach with an eye out for incoming boat traffic.

Besides that I've seen people doing shore dives at Similan island No.4, the one with bungalows. There's a small rocky peninsula right next to the beach with a very nice reef around it, there seems to be another divesite on the opposite beach, but you'll have to trek several hundred meters through the jungle with the gear to get there (didn't seem to deter a Russian couple I met there)

Sure they'll find all kind of bogus reason why not to fill your tanks. But you can it the the Thai way....speak with the Thai staff.....:)

Or buy a compressor....I'll have one sitting in Khanom (a bit far for you, and not running at the moment, just stored.....). The trick is to import it yourself from Europe. In Thailand they are crazy expensive + they lie about their import tax costs.

I paid 1 % declaring it as compressor. As sporting good it might be more. But a compressor is a compressor and HSS code says compressor....

Was 2000 Euro + need some minor modifications for a cheapo compressor, maybe another 200 Euro. Refill material and oil costs almost nothing in Thailand (can get from me, if you ever need).

Sure they'll find all kind of bogus reason why not to fill your tanks. But you can it the the Thai way....speak with the Thai staff.....smile.png

Or buy a compressor....I'll have one sitting in Khanom (a bit far for you, and not running at the moment, just stored.....). The trick is to import it yourself from Europe. In Thailand they are crazy expensive + they lie about their import tax costs.

I paid 1 % declaring it as compressor. As sporting good it might be more. But a compressor is a compressor and HSS code says compressor....

Was 2000 Euro + need some minor modifications for a cheapo compressor, maybe another 200 Euro. Refill material and oil costs almost nothing in Thailand (can get from me, if you ever need).

I don't dive often enough to justify buying a compressor, although 2000 Euros is a lot less than what I've seen locally; then again, I've bought a lot of gear I hardly ever use so there's that... :P

Sure they'll find all kind of bogus reason why not to fill your tanks. But you can it the the Thai way....speak with the Thai staff.....smile.png

I don't dive often enough to justify buying a compressor, although 2000 Euros is a lot less than what I've seen locally; then again, I've bought a lot of gear I hardly ever use so there's that... tongue.png

yes the local prices are a complete rip off. 2000 Euro is a brand name one from Europe. The smallest of the regular one. (there are some super small one which might be cheaper) for 300 bar.

You need to add a backpressure valve, and best an additional filter....Both costs very little. Filters you can refill yourself so almost no costs. Such a small compressor I would only run inside aircondition as it tends to get too hot.

But that is minimal costs.

What I have seen from Thai diver....they know the thai staff at the DCs. They give them the tanks and get them delivered as full back at very low costs, no invoice so I think they pocket the money themself.....

I think an own tank is something like 8-10.000 Baht (I imported some steel tanks....which are stupid heavy.....stupid idea)

I don't dive often enough to justify buying a compressor, although 2000 Euros is a lot less than what I've seen locally; then again, I've bought a lot of gear I hardly ever use so there's that... tongue.png

yes the local prices are a complete rip off. 2000 Euro is a brand name one from Europe. The smallest of the regular one. (there are some super small one which might be cheaper) for 300 bar.

You need to add a backpressure valve, and best an additional filter....Both costs very little. Filters you can refill yourself so almost no costs. Such a small compressor I would only run inside aircondition as it tends to get too hot.

What I have seen from Thai diver....they know the thai staff at the DCs. They give them the tanks and get them delivered as full back at very low costs, no invoice so I think they pocket the money themself.....

I think an own tank is something like 8-10.000 Baht (I imported some steel tanks....which are stupid heavy.....stupid idea)

Out of curiosity, what is the brand of the compressor? Is it portable?

I have a few Thai dive instructor friends, one running a DC here in Bangkok; I could ask them to get tanks filled, but as I said carrying them along is a hassle, much better to rent near the diving area.

I have a few Thai dive instructor friends, one running a DC here in Bangkok; I could ask them to get tanks filled, but as I said carrying them along is a hassle, much better to rent near the diving area.

coltri....yes it is portable, but heavy.

I had no luck with coltri in Thailand....

Thanks, I checked their website. Something to keep in mind for the day I move closer to the sea. :D

Thanks, I checked their website. Something to keep in mind for the day I move closer to the sea. biggrin.png

best price I found is from shops in Austria and Germany (well I speak German...maybe in Italy or France or UK the offers are the same good).